• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
BHM Day 19:
Once again, highlighting anither Cuphead VA. This one is a probably the most well known, but here he is, King Dice's VA in the show
Wayne_Brady_2015.jpg

Meet Waybe Brady. Born in Flordia and raused in Florida, Brady would get begin developing his acting skills when he was young. He would attend University of Miami, and then move to LA to develop his acting skills.

He would get his first gig as an imoriv actor on a show called Kwik Witz, and then would move on to Who's Line is It? He would win an emmy for that show. He would then host daytime talk show The Wayne Brady Show, in which he woukd win 2 more emmys. He would work on plenty if shiws since then, including vouce work, and broadway plays. Of course, he'll never forget where he came from, and uses media to lift his voice

“By the time I started getting on, around the time of ‘Who’s Line,’ I kind of fell into this narrative that was being written for me by some network people who didn’t want to see Black either. They wanted an amiable, shiny, Black face that could connect with their viewers, but we don’t necessarily have to talk about the Black experience. You’re Black but we don’t necessarily need all that ‘rah rah’ about it. Sure, and I was complicit because in my mind, I’m not going to talk about Blackness either, I’m going to kick ass and show everybody how amazing I am. And if I do that because of the talent that I have, then that will change the conversation of race..."
“I think that I was part of a system where as long as you didn’t cause waves and as long as you smiled and you’re Black and you’re happy, great — versus, I’m Black, I’m going to smile and I’m going to be happy because I have a blessed life but I am also going to be very proud of my culture and my background, and I will not let you step on me about it.”​

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When I first watched The Cuphead Show. I was expecting a serialization type of show given the plot of the game involving dealing with the Devil.

Still a decent/good show never the less.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
When I first watched The Cuphead Show. I was expecting a serialization type of show given the plot of the game involving dealing with the Devil.

Still a decent/good show never the less.
Honestly, the game's plot is super simple, and kinda just consists of "Devil bad, get soul contracts" so I'm perfectly fine with a simple, episodic narrative. Plus, given how cartoons back in the day weren't serialized in the slightest, it makes sense. Maybe a hot take, but I think I'd enjoy it less if it was serialized.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I think that should conclude the Cuphead VA marathon. I wasn't realy aware that three major VAs were black, and BOTH of King Dice's are black. Don't really see that outside of a few exceptions.

So King Dice is black. I don't make the rules.
To add on to this, Cab Calloway was stated by the developers to be a very heavy inspiration for the character of King Dice. So not only are King Dice's VAs black, he's inspired by a black singer. Which I think is super neat. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm finally taking the time to make a dedicated playthrough of Cuphead. I've played bits of it in the past but I figured now's as good as time as any to play all the way through it.

This game is ****ing great holy ****, it makes me feel like a god every time I beat a boss and that's one of my favorite feelings ever. I die a lot in the process but I never get mad at the game because it's usually a result of my own reflexes being wrong. Also the presentation alone is 69/10, the animation is stellar and the music is just.... mmmmmmmmmm.

Gonna watch the show after I finish the game

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
While we're talking about the Cuphead Show, I'm gonna ramble a bit and say that I think it's super sick that Cuphead is voiced by a black actor. An unfortunate truth in voice over is that a lot of the time, black actors are only sent auditions for characters who are, well, black. Auditions for characters that don't have a specific race, like cartoon animals or whatever, are oftentimes never sent to black actors, since they want a white actor to portray that character, for whatever reason. But the Cuphead Show audition slides were sent to black actors, and Tru Valentino got cast not because they needed a black actor, but just because of his own skill alone. And that rocks. During an interview, Tru mentioned that he's really interested in the game, and that he was seriously hoping to get cast. And that passion absolutely shows in his performance.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
While we're talking about the Cuphead Show, I'm gonna ramble a bit and say that I think it's super sick that Cuphead is voiced by a black actor. An unfortunate truth in voice over is that a lot of the time, black actors are only sent auditions for characters who are, well, black. Auditions for characters that don't have a specific race, like cartoon animals or whatever, are oftentimes never sent to black actors, since they want a white actor to portray that character, for whatever reason. But the Cuphead Show audition slides were sent to black actors, and Tru Valentino got cast not because they needed a black actor, but just because of his own skill alone. And that rocks. During an interview, Tru mentioned that he's really interested in the game, and that he was seriously hoping to get cast. And that passion absolutely shows in his performance.
After watching the show, I can tell Tru is hella talented. But when I did research on him foe yesterdays post I was kinda shocked that this was really his first major gig. I thought he did more, but aside Cuphead and Spidey and Friends, and the Loud House (and even then it was the Casagrandes), not really.

Kinda odd if you ask me.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
BHM Day 19:
Once again, highlighting anither Cuphead VA. This one is a probably the most well known, but here he is, King Dice's VA in the show
View attachment 345630
Meet Waybe Brady. Born in Flordia and raused in Florida, Brady would get begin developing his acting skills when he was young. He would attend University of Miami, and then move to LA to develop his acting skills.

He would get his first gig as an imoriv actor on a show called Kwik Witz, and then would move on to Who's Line is It? He would win an emmy for that show. He would then host daytime talk show The Wayne Brady Show, in which he woukd win 2 more emmys. He would work on plenty if shiws since then, including vouce work, and broadway plays. Of course, he'll never forget where he came from, and uses media to lift his voice

“By the time I started getting on, around the time of ‘Who’s Line,’ I kind of fell into this narrative that was being written for me by some network people who didn’t want to see Black either. They wanted an amiable, shiny, Black face that could connect with their viewers, but we don’t necessarily have to talk about the Black experience. You’re Black but we don’t necessarily need all that ‘rah rah’ about it. Sure, and I was complicit because in my mind, I’m not going to talk about Blackness either, I’m going to kick ass and show everybody how amazing I am. And if I do that because of the talent that I have, then that will change the conversation of race..."
“I think that I was part of a system where as long as you didn’t cause waves and as long as you smiled and you’re Black and you’re happy, great — versus, I’m Black, I’m going to smile and I’m going to be happy because I have a blessed life but I am also going to be very proud of my culture and my background, and I will not let you step on me about it.”​

Wayne is always funny as hell on whose line. In fact, his musical performances were probably my favorite since he is a master at making things up on the spot:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
After watching the show, I can tell Tru is hella talented. But when I did research on him foe yesterdays post I was kinda shocked that this was really his first major gig. I thought he did more, but aside Cuphead and Spidey and Friends, and the Loud House (and even then it was the Casagrandes), not really.

Kinda odd if you ask me.
It's a little difficult to explain, but it's actually not too uncommon for professionally working actors to not have a super big resume full of super big projects.

Like, let's say I'm casting for a project, and I get an audition from Actor A and Actor B. Both are super skilled, have been doing acting for years, etc. But I've worked with Actor A before, and I know people who've worked with Actor A before. Actor B is just as skilled, but they have less credits I can find online, and I've never heard of them. When put in this scenario, many casting directors will choose Actor A because they're more comfortable hiring someone they've worked with, and someone they know. Plenty of casting directors view hiring Actor B as "taking a chance," even if Actor B is very skilled.

Basically, stuff like this can result in professionally working actors with years of experience having few popular projects to their name. Like, I remember when Genshin Impact cast one of their playable characters, (can't 100% recall which) loads of people went "Woah! It's so cool that they hired a newcomer to the acting scene!" when in reality, the character's actor had been doing VO for years and years. That's the one example of this scenario that always comes to mind for me.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To add on to this, Cab Calloway was stated by the developers to be a very heavy inspiration for the character of King Dice. So not only are King Dice's VAs black, he's inspired by a black singer. Which I think is super neat. :4pacman:
TheMightyP TheMightyP we stay ****ing winning

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I might keep most of my Pokémon in 3DS jail

I don't have any attachment to my living dex in Gen 6 but there's little to no reason to transfer them beyond that anymore

Pokémon I used in my teams and shinies are a different story though

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I might keep most of my Pokémon in 3DS jail

I don't have any attachment to my living dex in Gen 6 but there's little to no reason to transfer them beyond that anymore

Pokémon I used in my teams and shinies are a different story though
I tossed all my non Legend 'Mons forever ago, so they're all I'm transfering.

I have a Shiny Rayquaza I got from the old Brawl in the Family Forums of all places back in the day, but IDK if it's legit or not lol.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I tossed all my non Legend 'Mons forever ago, so they're all I'm transfering.

I have a Shiny Rayquaza I got from the old Brawl in the Family Forums of all places back in the day, but IDK if it's legit or not lol.
I'm gonna have to go open the old pandora's box and see if there's still any Pokémon worth transferring

Most of them are gonna be stuck in home jail for a while though

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
About serialization.

So for a long time, television executives have kind of been canceling serialized shows because they don't believe they fit well with the sporadic nature of cable. Colloquial wisdom in the TV exec world is that non-serialized shows are better both for reruns and for bringing in new audiences as the show progresses. This is especially show for children's television, as a lot of execs and buisnessmen think kids are too stupid to follow serialized formats. The problem with this thinking is that it

1) Dismisses that there has and always will be a market for serialized shows,
2) Doesn't realize kids aren't that stupid,
3) Stifles creative freedom or artistic talent.

People tend to get caught up on 1 & 2, so there's a lot of snobbery around the serialization of shows. Fans of serialization get really frustrated that the market gets flooded with non-serialized comedies and slice-of-life. Doesn't tend to help that those two genres are especially popular with the masses, feeding into the feelings of elitism (if most people like something, that's because they're all uncultured and have no standards, the thinking goes).

But then you consider point 3. Creative freedom. What if an artist wants to make a non-serialized show? What if a show is actually better off without forced serialization? The problem isn't that non-serialized shows exist - we should want diversity in the medium so everyone can find or make something meant for them.

Netflix has a ton of seriazed shows, even in the cartoons departments. Netflix original shows are not meant for cable. Execs killing serialized shows doesn't seem to be a problem there at all. If anything, I was worried that execs would swing the other way and try to force all shows to be heavily serialized for the sake of bindgewatching, so it's a huge relief to me that a show like The Cuphead Show is allowed to exist. And honestly I get the impression that Netflix creators get a ton of creative freedom with their shows. Just look at how different all of the art styles are in their cartoons. Heck, not to mention adult cartoons that aren't just Family Guy clones are allowed to exist even if they get a little Rick-and-Morty-ish sometimes.

Anyway uh

cup good

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't know how many Greninja I have but I'm gonna have to continue renewing until we get a game with Greninja available

FREE MY BOY GAMEFREAK
TBH Gen 9 is probably going to bring most, if not all of them back.

They have nearly all of them sitting in the engine now with SwSh, the more they refine it, the easier it'll be to continue to just bring the old ones back.

What's insane is that it ended midway through Smash 4's life cycle, Ultimate in the Family would have gone nuts.

But when the world needed him the most, he vanished.
Imagine the Sony jokes with Ultimate.

And Waluigi is always free real estate .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom