• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So a tiny few more tidbits but I gotta say it has been a good day:

-Meeting friends including one who sees me like a little brother.
-Sushi and Ramen.
-The Schadenfreude about someone who bullied me in college permanently messed himself in a very Darwin award way. Don't do party tricks guys.
-Getting some sweets for a good price
-My best friend finally starting to watch Kino's Journey and Cowboy Bebop
-Direct and Direct announcements.
-No major stressing points for once except Excel being Excel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also just looking at the Xenoblade protags and world names now. Lamperouge Lamperouge and DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 your thoughts on this how crazy it is.

Characters.

XBC1 - Shulk and Fiora
XBCX - Cross and Elma (or Lin depending on who you ask).
XBC2 - Rex and Pyra (I know Mythra but she's not introduced til later)
XBC3 - Noah and Mio (OK, I like these two names ringing off each other).

And the worlds since I found the name of 3.

XBC1 - Bionis and Mechonis
XBCX - Mira
XBC2 - Alrest
XBC3 - Aionios (Clever ******** Monolith. Clever).

I like it. I'm excited.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Anyway that direct was mediocre and I don't really care about anything that was announced unfortunately

The new Fire Emblem Warriors looks somewhat interesting, I need to see Leonie to fully commit to a purchase though
New Kirby looking concerningly gimmicky
I still need to play the first Xenoblade to decided if I'm interested in that series
I hate that they're making a big deal out of Mother games finally being available on their ****ty online service after 5 years

I will not be taking criticism of my criticism of a billion dollar company's lineup of announcements

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
D598EE38-0ABC-4D09-954D-E5EC94C00201.jpeg
B15D2085-1722-46EA-8C1E-850B244FE46A.jpeg
No joke, if they show playable Bernie and Mariane, this game will go from mid to ultra hype for me fast.

Whether or not I care about this game really depends on the roster; Byleth, Dimitri, and Claude are great starts, but not enough of a sell when they're expected.
Bernadetta and Marianne teaming up together is an absolute must have

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Anyway that direct was mediocre and I don't really care about anything that was announced unfortunately

The new Fire Emblem Warriors looks somewhat interesting, I need to see Leonie to fully commit to a purchase though
New Kirby looking concerningly gimmicky
I still need to play the first Xenoblade to decided if I'm interested in that series
I hate that they're making a big deal out of Mother games finally being available on their ****ty online service after 5 years

I will not be taking criticism of my criticism of a billion dollar company's lineup of announcements
How dare you not be excited for Super Lego Bros!!!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, I feel like if you don't like RPGs, Nintendo Directs just aren't for you anymore.

That's been the case for every direct this decade and even some before then. RPGs been the main focus.

This isn't me calling out any user despite the timing, I saw that take on Twitter hours ago and I'm kinda inclined to agree. They been hella RPG heavy lately, for better or worse

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
With my personal thoughts, I thought it was just alright. Splat3 looks good as usual, Kirby looks good which I'll eat my words on dounting it, Klonoa looks neat and Xeno3 looks neat. Aside from that, maybe a couple rpgs that aren't must haves by any means, and idrc for Earthbound as I already beat it on the Wii U.

It's just... alright.

0/10 no Mario Kart 9

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Tbh, I feel like if you don't like RPGs, Nintendo Directs just aren't for you anymore.

That's been the case for every direct this decade and even some before then. RPGs been the main focus.

This isn't me calling out any user despite the timing, I saw that take on Twitter hours ago and I'm kinda inclined to agree. They been hella RPG heavy lately, for better or worse
I think it's more a product of the Switch itself.

RPGs are still extremely popular in Japan, and handheld devices are also extremely popular in Japan, so things like phones and the Switch are their primary demographics. It makes sense they get pushed a lot.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Also

Splat3 looks neat but I really want to know if it has actual single player content. I want to get into this series but the focus on multiplayer kinda turns me off

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think it's more a product of the Switch itself.

RPGs are still extremely popular in Japan, and handheld devices are also extremely popular in Japan, so things like phones and the Switch are their primary demographics. It makes sense they get pushed a lot.
I mean, I get it, I'm a ****king sucker for Turn Based RPG, hands down my favorite genre.

But tbh, that's usually not why people go to Nintendo, they usually go for exclusives that are usually platformers and Zelda. Like, I feel for a lot of fans, their only JRPG experience is Pokemon, and that's where the culture shock happens because we haven't really seen many new platformers (I can only name 3, and one isn't really a platformer first and foremost), and Zelda is usually a in and out thing with a small game in the middle.

That's why I feel like fans are kinda hostile to FE and Xenoblade, they only got popular in the last decade because of Smash so they're a lot more niche because they don't gor much of a legacy compared to Mario, Kirby, and Zelda.

In a way, it is ironic. The SNES, GBA, DS, and 3DS were JRPG powerhouses.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway

Haven't watched it yet, but I've seen all the memes about Kirby

ALL the memes

Even the ones featuring Ring Mouth.

Shudder

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also

Splat3 looks neat but I really want to know if it has actual single player content. I want to get into this series but the focus on multiplayer kinda turns me off
It does, but don't rely for extensive single player content. There was only one single player campaign in either the two games that I can fully reccommend and that was DLC. But I will admit, it was fun as ****.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, I get it, I'm a ****king sucker for Turn Based RPG, hands down my favorite genre.

But tbh, that's usually not why people go to Nintendo, they usually go for exclusives that are usually platformers and Zelda. Like, I feel for a lot of fans, their only JRPG experience is Pokemon, and that's where the culture shock happens because we haven't really seen many new platformers (I can only name 3, and one isn't really a platformer first and foremost), and Zelda is usually a in and out thing with a small game in the middle.

That's why I feel like fans are kinda hostile to FE and Xenoblade, they only got popular in the last decade because of Smash so they're a lot more niche because they don't gor much of a legacy compared to Mario, Kirby, and Zelda.

In a way, it is ironic. The SNES, GBA, DS, and 3DS were JRPG powerhouses.
I definitely feel like the Switch is a culture shock for Nintendo fans who skipped out on Nintendo's handhelds: Those suckers have been JRPG central since the beginning.

End of the day, the Switch really is just a Nintendo handheld you can plug into your TV at heart more than the original idea of a Nintendo home console that you can take on the go. It's library is way more in the same vein as say, the 3DS, and it really shows with the kinds of games it has been getting.

Basically: Yeah, the Switch has been very platformer-light, and Zelda has huge gaps inbetween games if you don't care about the top-down games, experimental one-offs, or the remasters.

Mario Odyssey still not having a sequel is also making the hardcore Nintendo crowd antsy as well and that doesn't help things.

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe, but they could have confused the studios making it or maybe it’s not ready for show. Perhaps they got their info mixed up with another game.
Leaks are best left to be considered fake until proven real.

It's how we get Prime 3 Trilogy, or Star Fox Grand Prix, or, need I go on.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

And not a single sign of one of the 3DS's best RPG's making a comeback.

For the love of god Bamco just bite the bullet and make a new PXZ.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I don't play Mario Kart Tour but the Nintendo Mobile YouTube channel recently posted a whole bunch of 56 second videos showing off some of its original courses.

I wonder if this has anything to do today's MK8D news.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So a tiny few more tidbits but I gotta say it has been a good day:

-Meeting friends including one who sees me like a little brother.
-Sushi and Ramen.
-The Schadenfreude about someone who bullied me in college permanently messed himself in a very Darwin award way. Don't do party tricks guys.
-Getting some sweets for a good price
-My best friend finally starting to watch Kino's Journey and Cowboy Bebop
-Direct and Direct announcements.
-No major stressing points for once except Excel being Excel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also just looking at the Xenoblade protags and world names now. Lamperouge Lamperouge and DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 your thoughts on this how crazy it is.

Characters.

XBC1 - Shulk and Fiora
XBCX - Cross and Elma (or Lin depending on who you ask).
XBC2 - Rex and Pyra (I know Mythra but she's not introduced til later)
XBC3 - Noah and Mio (OK, I like these two names ringing off each other).

And the worlds since I found the name of 3.

XBC1 - Bionis and Mechonis
XBCX - Mira
XBC2 - Alrest
XBC3 - Aionios (Clever ******** Monolith. Clever).

I like it. I'm excited.
I do like the new names. There is a lot to theorize on in these next 7 months.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I definitely feel like the Switch is a culture shock for Nintendo fans who skipped out on Nintendo's handhelds: Those suckers have been JRPG central since the beginning.
Tbh, you would be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't played a DS, but yeah
End of the day, the Switch really is just a Nintendo handheld you can plug into your TV at heart more than the original idea of a Nintendo home console that you can take on the go. It's library is way more in the same vein as say, the 3DS, and it really shows with the kinds of games it has been getting.

Basically: Yeah, the Switch has been very platformer-light, and Zelda has huge gaps inbetween games if you don't care about the top-down games, experimental one-offs, or the remasters.

Mario Odyssey still not having a sequel is also making the hardcore Nintendo crowd antsy as well and that doesn't help things.
I feel like it's becoming more apparent, but the series Nintendo fans all grew up on are not gonna be the same. Zelda's a twice a decade thing now, big mainline Mario games is near twice a decade, Pokemon has being going hella experimental since Gen 6 which can put off boomers old fans, Metroid is a rarity, Earthbound is done, F-Zero is dead, Star Fox just isn't popular with the new age to justify new releases. RPGs and high-speed action games are all the rage now, times are changing, this is a different Nintendo, one that instead of relying familiar ips 24/7, instead goes for newer and fresher franchises to fill in the void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom