• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
At the end of the day what people don’t get is likely every other company there are multiple divisions that make up Nintendo. They don’t operate as one.

For example Tanabe is not saying let’s kill melee. Or any other developers or team members for that matter. We know there’s the studios Nintendo has make games, the IP protection team which according to the PaperMario staff are ****ty people, the executives who call the shots, and the legal teams.

Most of these parties probably have no clue what goes into these actions and only a few people are probably behind these take downs. But people are looking to blame and boycott everything. Which is only gonna make things worse and get nowhere. It’s a problem with a few bad businessmen in the company rather then everyone as a whole.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, does anybody know the IP protection law rules? That's pretty much the real issue here. How far does it need to go? Could they legitimately have looked the other way or at least said "we understand it's for charity, but we actually could lose the IP to please C&D or at least license us". However, my guess is they can't actually do the "please license us" because it looks like they have no control of their own IP.

Also, great point about different divisions. A division among Nintendo is likely dedicated to this type of stuff and are given strict rules. Even if it's not a law thing, they can't really do much but follow them.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
What's worse is that Nintendo is doing all those horrible decisions/getting EXPOSED (NOT CLICKBAIT) right around the same time, at the end of the year, who is already to be quite ****ty, thus leaving them with little time to make up for it.

It really freakin' suck, and while it reinforce company aren't your friends (don't say everyone at Nintendo are asshole or that other company are angel that can do no wrong tho, first one is wrong & the second is quite naive to think so), I still got to wonder: when did Nintendo marketing got so bad? Like they were killing it when the Switch first released, but now....it's all so stinky.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
wait why do they take down the Etika joycons but let everyone else continue selling custom/modified joycons and other controllers?
Two possible reasons;

A) They aren't aware of them.

B) The users actually licensed this and are allowed to. Or got permission in general.

Another possibility is that it's a different division that saw this, not the one who dealt with those. Nintendo isn't one person or a single group, but tons of divisions. It's likely an odd situation. Nobody should've been selling custom jobs without permission regardless, yeah.

Shroob

Sup?
Wait, the C/D Nintendo sent was sent back in September according to the person who made these.

Why is this being talked about now when this happened several months ago?

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So like... are we not allowed to like nintendo anymore? Is Nintendo bad now? Do we like... have to stop playing fun games to enforce the morals we want to uphold as a society? Do I have to sell my switch?

Shroob

Sup?
So like... are we not allowed to like nintendo anymore? Is Nintendo bad now? Do we like... have to stop playing fun games to enforce the morals we want to uphold as a society? Do I have to sell my switch?
They're a company, they're not your friend and they're out to make money.

That doesn't inherently make them good or bad, just people shouldn't be surprised when a business acts like a business.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Two possible reasons;

A) They aren't aware of them.

B) The users actually licensed this and are allowed to. Or got permission in general.

Another possibility is that it's a different division that saw this, not the one who dealt with those. Nintendo isn't one person or a single group, but tons of divisions. It's likely an odd situation. Nobody should've been selling custom jobs without permission regardless, yeah.
I’m assuming the third possibility or something else; the first one would make Nintendo be even more out of touch and oblivious than previously conceivable, and the second sounds very unlikely for anyone to be able to do unless they’re like some company Nintendo made a deal with to sell “fresh cool controller designs” (and I’m not aware of a company like this, just smaller groups of people and websites I think) which Nintendo gets a big cut from.

Tbh I didn’t even realize people buying joycons and reselling them with custom designs could infringe on Nintendo’s rights. Seemed like a normal thing :S

No, you can enjoy a company’s products while detesting their decisions on who to banish to the shadow realm.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No.

You can still enjoy the good things while criticizing the bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean there’s tons of people on Etsy selling custom Joy Cons and they specifically go after this.

View attachment 294435
Again, can you confirm they know about all these E-Bay users? All of them, not just a few who they would've sent a C&D to? They have to search this on Google constantly to get this. The less public something is, as in constantly advertised, the less likely they'll ever know.

They don't even know 90% of 4chan leaks till they hit Youtube, no less.

It's not as simple as you're making it. It's very difficult to know every single situation and taken action.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They're a company, they're not your friend and they're out to make money.

That doesn't inherently make them good or bad, just people shouldn't be surprised when a business acts like a business.
I know that. I never expect a company to act like a person. But like... I don’t know. Isn’t the strategy when people or organizations start behaving in this way to put a strangle hold on them and choke off their supply of blood money until they shrivel up and die? Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? Isn’t that standard protocol?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd say people just need to call out the right people. Nintendo is a very large company and whatever actions people are unhappy with, almost certainly do not reflect the views and actions of everyone working for Nintendo. Plus for every C&D that people might get up in arms over, there's something they get praised for, like avoiding crunch or higher ups taking pay cuts to avoid letting people go when profits are down. There's a lot of things to consider and nuanced discussion is better than just going all in on condemnation or defending Nintendo likes its one singular hive mind entity.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m assuming the third possibility or something else; the first one would make Nintendo be even more out of touch and oblivious than previously conceivable, and the second sounds very unlikely for anyone to be able to do unless they’re like some company Nintendo made a deal with to sell “fresh cool controller designs” (and I’m not aware of a company like this, just smaller groups of people) which Nintendo gets a big cut from.

Tbh I didn’t even realize people buying joycons and reselling them with custom designs could infringe on Nintendo’s rights. Seemed like a normal thing :S

No, you can enjoy a company’s products while detesting their decisions on who to banish to the shadow realm.
But like... how else do we get them to stop? Specially if all they care about is money?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’m assuming the third possibility or something else; the first one would make Nintendo be even more out of touch and oblivious than previously conceivable, and the second sounds very unlikely for anyone to be able to do unless they’re like some company Nintendo made a deal with to sell “fresh cool controller designs” (and I’m not aware of a company like this, just smaller groups of people) which Nintendo gets a big cut from.

Oh, it absolutely does. They aren't selling skins, but the actual controllers being repainted here. There's a difference between the two.

Nobody's going to ask permission cause Nintendo will say no. The best thing they can do is leave it to non-profit(charity is still profit depending how they do) stuff like giveaway prizes.

It's easy for people to not realize modded content was never legal to sell by default. Not all companies care either. Some find a way to make it their own thing, even. It depends the context, and specific laws, since the laws are not universal worldwide.

Shroob

Sup?
I know that. I never expect a company to act like a person. But like... I don’t know. Isn’t the strategy when people or organizations start behaving in this way to put a strangle hold on them and choke off their supply of blood money until they shrivel up and die? Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? Isn’t that standard protocol?
My only thing to say here is

Good luck

Nintendo is Japan's richest company. Even if you gathered up all the people online angry at Nintendo over their recent stints, you wouldn't put a dent in their profits since most of their customer base is the silent majority, the people who don't post about Nintendo on social media.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'd say people just need to call out the right people. Nintendo is a very large company and whatever actions people are unhappy with, almost certainly do not reflect the views and actions of everyone working for Nintendo. Plus for every C&D that people might get up in arms over, there's something they get praised for, like avoiding crunch or higher ups taking pay cuts to avoid letting people go when profits are down. There's a lot of things to consider and nuanced discussion is better than just going all in on condemnation or defending Nintendo likes its one singular hive mind entity.
I have a real problem with binary thinking. It’s caused... many problems for me over the years. It’s just... extremely hard for me to even comprehend nuance. It’s like... a mental blind spot. I just can’t see it. Frankly it sucks.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a real problem with binary thinking. It’s caused... many problems for me over the years. It’s just... extremely hard for me to even comprehend nuance. It’s like... a mental blind spot. I just can’t see it. Frankly it sucks.
Look at it this way.

Nintendo is made up of tons of people.

Only some of those people are responsible for these decisions.

D

Deleted member

I mean, even with the Blitzchung controversy, I still like Blizzard as a company.

Hell, a lot of the Blizzard employees themselves were mad as hell over what happened to Blitzchung and made their voices heard.
You see, this is how you scare a corporation. If the workers are truly upset, and they go on a massive strike, or a massive boycott happens, then the employers will start freaking out.

But the vocal base of Nintendo is a very, very microscopic portion as you said, and I don't see Nintendo workers going on strike over this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You see, this is how you scare a corporation. If the workers are truly upset, and they go on a massive strike, or a massive boycott happens, then the employers will start freaking out.

But the vocal base is the silent majority as you said, and I don't see all of the workers going on strike over this.
Problem is... Blizzard has a larger much scarier entity forcing them to make the decisions they did.

I'm confident that the Blitzchung incident wasn't originally due to malice or stupidity. I honestly think Blizzard got stuck between a rock and a hard place and then became too stupid to figure out how to get out of it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Problem is... Blizzard has a larger much scarier entity forcing them to make the decisions they did.

I'm confident that the Blitzchung incident wasn't originally due to malice or stupidity. I honestly think Blizzard got stuck between a rock and a hard place and then became too stupid to figure out how to get out of it.
Yeah, and that entity's called the CCP.

Same **** happened to Hololive, if I may bring VTubers into this.

One of the gals pulled up her viewer analytics for a split second and it showed Taiwan separate from China, and China had an absolute meltdown, going so far to put it on public news.

Eventually, at least for them, the company behind Hololive had the balls to pull out of the Chinese market, though the gals still sometime get harassed by Antis.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

One of the gals pulled up her viewer analytics for a split second and it showed Taiwan separate from China, and China had an absolute meltdown, going so far to put it on public news.

Eventually, at least for them, the company behind Hololive had the balls to pull out of the Chinese market, though the gals still sometime get harassed by Antis.
They're still involved with China I think. They just did the smart thing.

Wait for it all to blow over. Which is generally the best way for companies to get around controversies.

But yeah, that's just another incident where appeasing China has led to major controversy. It's a scary nation that holds a lot of power.

Shroob

Sup?
They're still involved with China I think. They just did the smart thing.

Wait for it all to blow over. Which is generally the best way for companies to get around controversies.

But yeah, that's just another incident where appeasing China has led to major controversy. It's a scary nation that holds a lot of power.
Hololive? Nope, they pulled out entirely. The Hololive CN gals all "Graduated"(Retired). It kinda sucks for them, since it cost them their job, but... it was a ****ty situation.

Hell, any game that crossed over with Hololive in China basically has had the Hololive **** [REDACTED].

D

Deleted member

Hololive? Nope, they pulled out entirely. The Hololive CN gals all "Graduated"(Retired). It kinda sucks for them, since it cost them their job, but... it was a ****ty situation.
The problem with China is that they're on their way to take America's place as the most powerful nation, and corporations have to play ball if they want that sweet money.

It's just frustrating.

For example, I believe Marvel took a character that was a Tibetan monk and changed their nationality.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

China’s government sounds so stupid for that.

It sounds like satire, but it’s not.

:smileye:

I guess that’s their government in general, though, and is why it’s scary...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The thing about China's government that really gets me is that...

its all so petty.

With all the power the Chinese government has, you'd think they wouldn't care about most of this stuff.

But... they do.

Why?

Shroob

Sup?

its all so petty.

With all the power the Chinese government has, you'd think they wouldn't care about most of this stuff.

But... they do.

Why?
Same reason America loves flaunting its military strength.

Pride.

And anything that threatens that pride must be crushed.

D

Deleted member

But... they do.

Why?
They care, because they don't want their population being radicalized in support of minorities that want to break away from China, like Uyghurs, Tibetans, Taiwanese, and Hong Kongers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

its all so petty.

But... they do.

Why?
We've always seen awful people in power do incredibly petty stuff, and it's always been the same reason, their egos are as fragile as sugar glass

D

Deleted member

The Chinese government could be an issue for a long portion of our lives.

Like China is increasing in power, and its going to go above America soon. The problem is that it will act like any powerful empire that has ever existed or is currently existing, and spread its influence.

I feel heavy sympathy towards the Taiwanese, Hong Kongers, Uyghurs, and Tibetans.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
God we live in an awful world. It’s way to complicated to actually live in. Maybe we should go and find another one where things make sense.
It’s not the world that’s awful. It’s the people in charge of her.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Status
Not open for further replies.