• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A Dinosaur MMO where you age? Am I going to have mortality with these dinosaurs? Am I going to hold funerals for my friends who decided to start at age 65 because you get the dinosaur equivalent of Medicaid??
You don't decide to start at different ages. The way I'm seeing it in my head you pick one of three Eras and formations, starting with the Triassic Ichigualasto Formation, the Jurassic Morrison Formation, and the Cretaceous Hells Creek Formation. In short hand, the one with Pangea, the one with Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus, and the one with T-Rex and Triceratops. You pick your species, you customize your starting stats a bit, and then your egg hatches. Go into the world. You level up in a similar way to Pokemon EV training, with different stats increasing depending on what specific thing you do. And your goal is simply to survive. It's a survival game. If you're a predator you hunt, if you're prey you fight the predators that attack you and eat. You will eventually die of old age though, but if your dinosaur manages to reproduce, the parents stats can roll over into the offspring and your game starts with that animal. You can manage multiple animals at once should you desire. More formations and time periods would be added later if the game did well.
Y’know what I’m hearing?

A buncha ****in excuses.
OK. Where would you suggest I start then?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
We either carry on the tradition of video game film adaptations being complete laughable garbage, or the movie is a breakthrough for video game films and is phenomenal in it's own right.

No one will accept a middle ground.
Well tbf the 1st Sonic movie was just a generic family flick but with Sonic

Noipoi

Howdy!
You don't decide to start at different ages. The way I'm seeing it in my head you pick one of three Eras and formations, starting with the Triassic Ichigualasto Formation, the Jurassic Morrison Formation, and the Cretaceous Hells Creek Formation. In short hand, the one with Pangea, the one with Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus, and the one with T-Rex and Triceratops. You pick your species, you customize your starting stats a bit, and then your egg hatches. Go into the world. You level up in a similar way to Pokemon EV training, with different stats increasing depending on what specific thing you do. And your goal is simply to survive. It's a survival game. If you're a predator you hunt, if you're prey you fight the predators that attack you and eat. You will eventually die of old age though, but if your dinosaur manages to reproduce, the parents stats can roll over into the offspring and your game starts with that animal. You can manage multiple animals at once should you desire. More formations and time periods would be added later if the game did well.

OK. Where would you suggest I start then?
Uhhhhh get a better computer learn unity hire a team if you gotta make you’re dinosaur game put it on steam and make a GRAND TOTAL

of fifteen dollars

Noipoi

Howdy!
The fact that it's being done by Illumination does make me concerned that it could just be an average, unremarkable film.

Despicable Me is a great movie, I even stand by the sequels, but outside of that franchise the studio really hasn't made any truly good films.
On the one hand, Miyamoto being so closely involved will ensure it doesn’t end up like the usual Illumination trash. But on the other hand, we know how Miyamoto feels about stories and Mario.

I at least feel like it won’t have too much twerking and pop culture references, so that’s good. But I really hope it’s legitimately enjoyable, and not something I’ll forget as soon as I leave the theater.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
On the one hand, Miyamoto being so closely involved will ensure it doesn’t end up like the usual Illumination trash. But on the other hand, we know how Miyamoto feels about stories and Mario.

I at least feel like it won’t have too much twerking and pop culture references, so that’s good. But I really hope it’s legitimately enjoyable, and not something I’ll forget as soon as I leave the theater.
Or let alone something you WANT to forget when you leave the theater, but can't; if it is that bad.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Illumination films range from annoying to okayish on average, with a couple of standouts. What ever happens, the Mario Movie will be harmless at worst and decent at most.
I at least feel like it won’t have too much twerking and pop culture references, so that’s good.
I was gonna make a joke here, but then I realized that "Just left Disney" Miley Cyrus Peach is on the menu given the fact that it's Illumination.

And, well, idk if that's good or bad.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Don't remind me and others. In fact, don't even speak of it.
If you want a good Mario movie, I'd reccomend the 1986 anime film "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach"

It's on YouTube.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean, Illumination films range from annoying to okayish on average, with a couple of standouts. What ever happens, the Mario Movie will be harmless at worst and decent at most.

I was gonna make a joke here, but then I realized that "Just left Disney" Miley Cyrus Peach is on the menu given the fact that it's Illumination.

And, well, idk if that's good or bad.
Nintendo would never ever ever let Peach twerk unfortunately

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I liked the first Despicable Me tho that was before they discovered they didn’t have to try. I don’t respect Illumination as a company as they lack artistic integrity and treat their animated films as products rather than art. Their business model is to make movies as cheaply as possible and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

That said I’ll wait until we see trailers before I judge the Mario movie though some of the casting decisions got my brow raised

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I liked the first Despicable Me tho that was before they discovered they didn’t have to try. I don’t respect Illumination as a company as they lack artistic integrity and treat their animated films as products rather than art. Their business model is to make movies as cheaply as possible and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

That said I’ll wait until we see trailers before I judge the Mario movie though some of the casting decisions got my brow raised
Not saying you're wrong, but considering every other major animation studio does the same thing, I got some bad news for you.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bro, don’t put the idea of the guys behind the Cpt Underpants movie doing Mario in my head.

I’m trying to come at this film with an open mind. I don’t need to be thinking of what could’ve been
:239:
Can't believe they completely replaced Bowser Jr. with Melvin Sneedly

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not saying you're wrong, but considering every other major animation studio does the same thing, I got some bad news for you.
I mean those other studios still respect and treat animation as an art form the majority of the time, they don’t cut as many corners as Illumination. You’d be hard pressed to find a film from them on the same caliber as something like Soul or HTTYD or Spiderverse

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Carrion's on sale. It seems like a fun game, but based on that file size it also seems like a very short game.

I guess I'm just gonna be replaying DQ11 on Draconian mode and suffer. :yeahboi:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean those other studios still respect and treat animation as an art form the majority of the time, they don’t cut as many corners as Illumination. You’d be hard pressed to find a film from them on the same caliber as something like Soul or HTTYD or Spiderverse
I'd argue with that. Dreamworks, Disney, Paramount and Sony are all guilty of making products for a cheap buck, but they do it in a different way than Illumination because they have something up their sleeve: recognizablilty.

Remember, Dreamworks ran Shrek through the dirt, Disney loves making cheap remakes of their beloved animated films that makes 1 bazillion dollars regardless of quality, Pixar is guilty of uneeded sequels that also make 1 bazillion dollars, Paramount is... Paramount, and Sony is king of making the worst **** nobody wants that also makes 1 bazillion dollars simply because they use what's hip and trendy and kids live that.

Sure, Illumination does it the cheapest, but when you have the King of animation themselves making poorly done sequels or the 1000th live action remake for no reason other than to make money, I will have to call the idea that other studios treat animation like art into question. Because the way I see it, they don't.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
probably cuz they make cheap, family friendly movies that make big money.
I can believe the cheap factor, but emphasizing the family-friendly motif when all major studios that could've hypothetically made a Mario movie also make family-friendly movies seems redundant don't you think? :nifty: And they all clearly make bank.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Good point :079:
I mean hey, Nintendo likes cheap for sure. It's a selling point for their consoles lmao

It's pretty amazing that DreamWorks has such amazing films like Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD, The Prince of Egypt, Shrek 1 & 2, and The Road to El Dorado.

And then we get stinkers like Shark Tale and The Boss Baby...
Boss Baby is a guilty pleasure ngl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom