• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
why was i forced to read lord of the flies in middle school
It's a book that's pretty heavy on symbolism, meaning that there are a lot of material for written assignments and a lot of ways that you can interpret the text. Admittedly, some of the context might be lost - it's a parody/mockery of a book called Coral Island that is incredibly obscure now. The author wrote it to show how children would "really" behave if they were stuck on an island with no supervision; considering how quickly everything spirals out of control, I'm not sure if he had a high opinion of most children. (or, at least, what most children would be like without supervision)

It's kind of like if someone wrote a parody of Batman, Superman, or Daredevil with a more "realistic" (or a darker) twist on what would happen at any given point. (ex. what would "really" happen if a millionaire/lawyer/blind man decided to go out and fight crime, or what would "really" happen if an alien with godlike powers crashed onto Earth)

Sorry if I went way too in-depth for this haha. Basically, the book's got a lot of symbolism and elements that are open to interpretation while being fairly short, and it's old enough that plenty of people have written on it, so there are a lot of examples out there to work from.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I actually made an art project on that book back in high school. A charcoal drawing that depicted one scene from each chapter tied together with an outline of the pigs head

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
It's kind of like if someone wrote a parody of Superman with a more "realistic" (or a darker) twist on what would happen at any given point. (ex. what would happen if an alien with godlike powers crashed onto Earth)
Aka Brightburn. (I’d say The Boys orInvincible but neither technically crashed onto Earth...)

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up

Suprised this hasn't been brought up yet, this looks great!

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
It's a book that's pretty heavy on symbolism, meaning that there are a lot of material for written assignments and a lot of ways that you can interpret the text. Admittedly, some of the context might be lost - it's a parody/mockery of a book called Coral Island that is incredibly obscure now. The author wrote it to show how children would "really" behave if they were stuck on an island with no supervision; considering how quickly everything spirals out of control, I'm not sure if he had a high opinion of most children. (or, at least, what most children would be like without supervision)

It's kind of like if someone wrote a parody of Batman, Superman, or Daredevil with a more "realistic" (or a darker) twist on what would happen at any given point. (ex. what would "really" happen if a millionaire/lawyer/blind man decided to go out and fight crime, or what would "really" happen if an alien with godlike powers crashed onto Earth)

Sorry if I went way too in-depth for this haha.
I loved reading Lord of the Flies when I was in school <3

That was one English class I enjoyed a lot, actually. But really, concerning liking or disliking an English class, it all depended on which work we read. LOTF and Of Mice and Men and the Shakespeare plays were great and lots of fun. But if you were to require me to read Greek plays and works of fiction, I'm going to get bored pretty quickly unless it's about the Olympians and exclusively the Olympians, etc.

Edit: Not to mention I was sick for half of the unit of the Odyssey, and yet roughly 50% of my 9th grade final was on that dreaded work alone. Yes, I'm still salty over it lol

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man gets hated on like it was his fault and not the writers'. For that, at least I respect his take on it for what it was. :nifty: Cool suit.
man acted his heart out to help make sure the movie worked. Ended up being one of the 2 people to carry both films and somehow didn’t hold a massive grudge against the Sony producers and all that
TASM isn’t perfect but it didn’t deserve all the hatred it got.
TASM2 can get all the hate outside of Peter/Gwen and the costume...but TASM gotta keep some sort of respect
J. Jonah Jameson is going to be incredible, and I hope to see him in other movies like Dr. Strange in Thor:Ragnarock. I wonder if he'd hate all superheroes or specifically Spidey?
up until 2016 or 2017 Jonah mainly hated Spider-Man (and his other spiders), but is now homies with Spidey...so imma assume it’ll be the same in the MCU
Aka Brightburn. (I’d say The Boys orInvincible but neither technically crashed onto Earth...)
imma assume you mean the tv version of him and not the comics one

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

those rpg elements

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This looks fun! I like golf games so I’ll probably pull it up. Really hope that character select screen gets filled out a bit more either by launch or with free updates. Still hoping for Diddy and K. Rool at the very least. Also weird that it’s just boo and not King Boo. But let’s also pray for Birdo, Toadette, and Wart. Maybe even some fun crossover characters like Link and Sonic. And Geno and Mallow.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Do you think this character is salvageable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inki

And before you say “why bother, he was only in 5 shorts in the golden age” Marvin the Martian and Tasmanian Devil started in the same number of shorts in the golden age.
Personally I'd say no. There's a reason that character didn't make it past the golden age while Taz and Marvin did. The character themself is just too tied to racist stereotypes.

It's different from Bugs Bunny, who's interacted with racist charicatures but isn't one himself and still has plenty of classic shorts that don't have racist themes.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Double post

Sorry if I went way too in-depth for this haha.
Why is it that whenever someone puts out a story with wonder and fantasy in it some cynic comes along and goes “bah! This isn’t realistic enough! Here’s what would REALLY happen!”

Bet a lot of people wish it was gonna have a story mode like the GBA games. No doubt, I kind of do.

Personally I'd say no. There's a reason that character didn't make it past the golden age while Taz and Marvin did. The character themselves is just too tied to racist stereotypes.

It's different from Bugs Bunny, who's interacted with racist charicatures but isn't one himself and still has plenty of classic shorts that don't have racist themes.
Yeah. I just can’t help but think of how Killer Instinct 2013 handled Chief Thunder. By going to an actual Native American tribe and getting their extensive input on the character, his story, his costumes, everything. And I think it would be cool to give indigenous African cultures the same respect and treatment. I wanna say Looney Tunes isn’t the best place for that... but who’s to say it can’t be? Then again, maybe better to just not poke the bird.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Brightburn if anything is more like if Goku never hit his head.

Better comparisons would be Plutonian (Irredeemable) and Omni-Man (Who is basically a fusion of Superman and Vegeta in terms of character with the appearance of JJ Jameson).

D

Deleted member

So has the entire roster for Mario Golf: Super Rush been announced? Pulling out at the chance we get King K. Rool.
I feel like that's pretty unlikely, but then again, K Rool appeared in Mario Super Sluggers randomely, so I would assume it's not out of the question for it to happen again.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah. I just can’t help but think of how Killer Instinct 2013 handled Chief Thunder. By going to an actual Native American tribe and getting their extensive input on the character, his story, his costumes, everything. And I think it would be cool to give indigenous African cultures the same respect and treatment. I wanna say Looney Tunes isn’t the best place for that... but who’s to say it can’t be? Then again, maybe better to just not poke the bird.
Oh yeah, I totally get that. I'm not a KI player so I hadn't heard of Cheif Thunder, but after looking him up it seems pretty cool that they went out of their way to make him more respectful towards Native American culture.

But I'd make the point that theres a difference between 30s racist and 90s racist. There might still be ways you could make it work, but it'd be dangerous territory.

But to be fair I'm also a white guy, so I don't get any say in what's too racist to salvage or not.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Finally my time to shine. An in-joke from Lord of the Flies that me and my friends still remember but I need to tell the story.

Back when I was in college doing media studies (2015) me and my class watched Lord of the Flies and my group of friends couldn't stop laughing at the idea of the conch. So next day we decided that the plant on the shelf was going to be the conch and only those of my friend group could speak with it. We would shout "Protect the Conch!" anytime any of our classmates tried to touch it. It lasted a few weeks but it was the best.

We were crazy teenagers.

The best film though we watched by far....................was Cool Runnings. Still to this day it is one of the best Disney films ever.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh yeah, I totally get that. I'm not a KI player so I hadn't heard of Cheif Thunder, but after looking him up it seems pretty cool that they went out of their way to make him more respectful towards Native American culture.

But I'd make the point that theres a difference between 30s racist and 90s racist. There might still be ways you could make it work, but it'd be dangerous territory.

But to be fair I'm also a white guy, so I don't get any say in what's too racist to salvage or not.
Exactly. It's why I asked in the first place. If I ever end up working with WB and Looney Tunes (I am applying for jobs in my field so here's hope!) then I will definitley float the idea of like.. a reaserch study into the reworking and redesigning of the character. I mean, not only is taking something racist and making it into a well intended celebration of those cultures just inherently a nice thing to do, but I also imagine having not only an african character but one who acuratley represents real culture as a staring character in a series like Looney Tunes would be a huge step in the right direction in terms of diversity.

Anyway, you interested in giving feedback on my War of Toons concept?

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Exactly. It's why I asked in the first place. If I ever end up working with WB and Looney Tunes (I am applying for jobs in my field so here's hope!) then I will definitley float the idea of like.. a reaserch study into the reworking and redesigning of the character. I mean, not only is taking something racist and making it into a well intended celebration of those cultures just inherently a nice thing to do, but I also imagine having not only an african character but one who acuratley represents real culture as a staring character in a series like Looney Tunes would be a huge step in the right direction in terms of diversity.

Just remember Snake:

There's no position for something like a idea guy in the industry. And you'll be really really damn lucky if even someone one step above you considers it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just remember Snake:

There's no position for something like a idea guy in the industry. And you'll be really really damn lucky if even someone one step above you considers it.
Oh yeah. I know that. I didn't learn nothing from 4 years of film school. It's definitely not something that I will try to float until I'm a well established figure. And if I never get to that point, then I guess it will never get pitched.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Anyway, you interested in giving feedback on my War of Toons concept?
How big of a roster were you considering?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Do you think this character is salvageable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inki

And before you say “why bother, he was only in 5 shorts in the golden age” Marvin the Martian and Tasmanian Devil started in the same number of shorts in the golden age.
I recall seeing a few of these shorts and though it’s been a while, from my perspective I feel like you’d be better off creating a new character than trying to salvage this one. Any attempt I could potentially see would need to completely revamp this guy to unrecognizable territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom