• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Stupid question, but do we have the pre-today's patch percent damage values for Jigglypuff? I thought we did, but I've been looking forever and can't find it even in the Jigglypuff character section. I'd love to help find out if she's been buffed or nerfed, but that's kinda impossible without having the past to compare with.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Are the blast zones different for each omega stage? The reason I ask is some omega stages have different platforms (Onett's omega is one giant block which prevents people from travelling under it, Pyrosphere's omega allows you to travel under the ledges, but you can't pass under the stage, Halberd's omega allows you to travel under the stage, etc.) different player limits, (you can't have eight players on Skyloft's omega, but you can have eight players on Delfino Plaza's) so I wouldn't put it past them if the blast zones for each omega stage are different.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
She's hasn't really been changed much as it is. I've heard she got a slight buff to Pound Blitz (custom move), but other than that nothing so far.

-eX-

Smash Rookie
I have a hardware question.

So my adapter works beautifully with my laptop in Dolphin, but now that I'm home with access to my Wii U switching it into Wii U mode has a few issues. The adapter straight up doesn't register the L trigger on my controllers. I can't use the L button in Sm4sh as a result. Any solutions? Everything else works fine with the exception of this and it messes me up because I tech and wavedash using L (for when I run 20XX on Wii U).

The controllers themselves are not broken because I tried with all 3 on my Wii and using the PC mode in Dolphin and they are fine...I'd really like to not have an entire button not work on my controllers for my Wii U since I want to take it to college to have access to Sm4sh, Brawl, and 20XX Melee using vWii.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
How am I supposed to get better at smash 4? My friends don't play smash, and there is no close by smash scene where I live. The only practice I get is on lvl 9 cpus and FG. I was thinking about A's ladder, but I'm not close to be being good enough for it, so I'm at a lost of what to do.
I have a similar situation as you, but I guess the only ways are really just For Glory and Anther's Ladder.
Is it worth it to buy a WiiU for Smash 4 if that's the only thing I'm gonna play on it and I already have it on 3DS? I kind of want to build stages.
Since nobody's answering your question, I'll just say I guess that's your opinion.
Getting just stage builder doesn't sound like it's worth ~$360, though.

Last edited:

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
So since I know absolutely no one anywhere near me who plays or is even a little bit good at Smash, I mostly play For Glory or With Friends if I can find someone. I'm not really fond of For Glory in the least bit, but there aren't many other mediums for actual human interaction (With at least semi-serious matches, anyway). So far I'm really bad at For Glory, as well. Therefore my question is this: How do I know when to attribute wins/losses to online lag and inconsistencies, or to attribute them to actual skill? Basically, if I'm bad at For Glory does that mean I'm bad or does that mean I just don't know how to handle Online well? I need to know so that I can fix whatever my problem is, of course.

Also the same question in different contexts: How do I know if I have chosen the wrong character for myself or if I'm losing because of a lack of skill? Likewise, how do I know the difference between just a bad character/stage matchup and my own skill?

I know it's a weird and hard to answer question, so thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
So since I know absolutely no one anywhere near me who plays or is even a little bit good at Smash, I mostly play For Glory or With Friends if I can find someone. I'm not really fond of For Glory in the least bit, but there aren't many other mediums for actual human interaction (With at least semi-serious matches, anyway). So far I'm really bad at For Glory, as well. Therefore my question is this: How do I know when to attribute wins/losses to online lag and inconsistencies, or to attribute them to actual skill? Basically, if I'm bad at For Glory does that mean I'm bad or does that mean I just don't know how to handle Online well? I need to know so that I can fix whatever my problem is, of course.

Also the same question in different contexts: How do I know if I have chosen the wrong character for myself or if I'm losing because of a lack of skill? Likewise, how do I know the difference between just a bad character/stage matchup and my own skill?

I know it's a weird and hard to answer question, so thank you to anyone who can help me with this.
For Glory is a lot different than locals. You're limited to one stage choice, and oftentimes even the slightest of lag can bog you down. I'd say more, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment- I might edit this later.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Should i have a hiatus/retirement of this game? I dont find the game funny anyomore,all i do is get salty when i lose at torunaments to certain people/characters.I hate to see al the post in sm4sh groups/chats regarding stuff like . "this character is OP pls nerf" and you know i sometimes the only reason i play sm4sh anymorre its because its the game having the most attention in my city

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
Should i have a hiatus/retirement of this game? I dont find the game funny anyomore,all i do is get salty when i lose at torunaments to certain people/characters.I hate to see al the post in sm4sh groups/chats regarding stuff like . "this character is OP pls nerf" and you know i sometimes the only reason i play sm4sh anymorre its because its the game having the most attention in my city
Do you really want to play more Smash, or are you passively doing it because you aren't sure what to do next? Is it a true decision made by yourself, or caused by external pressures like its popularity in your city? If you're completely honest with yourself about your feelings and desires, with no regard for anything else, where would that take you?

Any answer with some reasoning can be thrown in favor of still playing or not, and from the sounds of it you aren't enjoying yourself and are probably burnt out. But only you can give yourself a true answer, by being authentic.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Do you really want to play more Smash, or are you passively doing it because you aren't sure what to do next? Is it a true decision made by yourself, or caused by external pressures like its popularity in your city? If you're completely honest with yourself about your feelings and desires, with no regard for anything else, where would that take you?

Any answer with some reasoning can be thrown in favor of still playing or not, and from the sounds of it you aren't enjoying yourself and are probably burnt out. But only you can give yourself a true answer, by being authentic.
i think i burnt out specially cus i played this game so much trying to improve.I wanted to be the best in the city, i started to go to tournaments started to make online tournaments join to a crew and improved so much over the course of few months. i think im gonna have a little hiatus of this game maybe a week or 2 m

Stigmata

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thorizard10
3DS FC
3652-1600-9459
What's the value of crouch-canceling? Seems like it's only really valuable if you have a good Dtilt for spacing, or if you're tiny like G&W and can avoid hits.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
What's the value of crouch-canceling? Seems like it's only really valuable if you have a good Dtilt for spacing, or if you're tiny like G&W and can avoid hits.
Crouching reduces the knockback of attacks, allowing you to punish faster- not quite as good as shielding or spot dodging, but it's there. (EDIT: thanks to @ NGUY (guitarstage) NGUY (guitarstage) for correcting me in advance. Ignore this first sentence.) Crouching under attacks entirely, on the other hand, allows you to punish the move with practically no lag at all (whereas dropping a shield takes 7 frames and spotdodging is basically lag that makes you invincible). It's about as useful as perfect shielding and requires less stringent timing, although it's also very situational since you can't often avoid moves in such a way.

Last edited:

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... I play alone a lot, and I like using the randomise function to pick who I play as, as well as any CPU enemies. It's fun to randomise when playing online too; I guess I'm not very competitive!

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to get the randomise function to include Mii fighters? They never turn up in my games and that's sad.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
For Glory is a lot different than locals. You're limited to one stage choice, and oftentimes even the slightest of lag can bog you down. I'd say more, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment- I might edit this later.
Ok, thank you. I tried again last night. There was no lag this time and I did perfectly fine, so I guess it was just a situational thing? I dunno. I have the hardest time judging myself sometimes.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere... I play alone a lot, and I like using the randomise function to pick who I play as, as well as any CPU enemies. It's fun to randomise when playing online too; I guess I'm not very competitive!

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's a way to get the randomise function to include Mii fighters? They never turn up in my games and that's sad.
Technically, I believe it is possible for them to turn up if you turn Customs on, but if you ask me the CPUs seem to pick and choose characters based on who you are using if you give them Random. Pretty sure they try to pick counter-characters. It might just be my imagination, but either way it seems like some characters just never show up regardless.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
In M2K's stream, he told a challenger to press L and R in the punching back waiting stage online, what does that do? It seems like he said it to start the match faster.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
In M2K's stream, he told a challenger to press L and R in the punching back waiting stage online, what does that do? It seems like he said it to start the match faster.
The host of the multiplayer room has to press L and R at the same time to start the match. The match won't actually start at all unless the host does that.
How to unlock Multi man 2 melee in ssb4?
I'm not sure what that is, but I'm pretty sure all Multi Man stuff are unlocked from the start

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
How do you toy with RNG to only get Mii stuff? i understand you have to play as a Mii but what mode will warrant the best results?

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm just now getting into Smash again after a long absence because work and I dunno if this is the right place to ask this but I don't know which character to pick up. As fighting games go I've only played Tekken seriously for about 5 years (mained Capos/Raven) and I prefer high risk-high reward and characters that rely heavily on mixups. I absolutely can't stand brain dead or campy characters. Much more exciting to play high risk and it makes it satisfying to win too.Gimmicks are fine too.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey all, I'm just now getting into Smash again after a long absence because work and I dunno if this is the right place to ask this but I don't know which character to pick up. As fighting games go I've only played Tekken seriously for about 5 years (mained Capos/Raven) and I prefer high risk-high reward and characters that rely heavily on mixups. I absolutely can't stand brain dead or campy characters. Much more exciting to play high risk and it makes it satisfying to win too.Gimmicks are fine too.
Yeah, the thread to ask that is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-mains-advice-thread.393398/
Personally, I'm not sure what character fits that description, though. Good luck finding your main!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I would say Mewtwo fits that description nicely myself, but he's a dlc character. If you're looking for a free character, I'm not really sure...

RevolverTurtle

Smash Rookie

lv9000

Smash Rookie
Hi! I am new to smash bros. and smashboards and I had a question about DI and vectoring. I know this is an old topic but I have seen conflicting information about whether or not traditional DI was completely reintroduced into Smash 4,or if vectoring still applies when you are launched horizontally. Also,it would be nice if someone could give me a short explanation of how DI works so I could better understand how to use the technique and the timing of it. As you can see, I'm a little confused. Thanks! (:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hi! I am new to smash bros. and smashboards and I had a question about DI and vectoring. I know this is an old topic but I have seen conflicting information about whether or not traditional DI was completely reintroduced into Smash 4,or if vectoring still applies when you are launched horizontally. Also,it would be nice if someone could give me a short explanation of how DI works so I could better understand how to use the technique and the timing of it. As you can see, I'm a little confused. Thanks! (:
DI is basically changing your trajectory by moving the control stick. DI applies only to vertical trajectory, vectoring for horizontal.
If you're launched horizontally, you vector by holding the analog stick towards the stage. Getting launched to the right means holding left, launched left hold right.
If you're launched upwards, move yourself perpendicular from where you're launched. For example, if you're getting launched up and a little to the right, you should DI right, so that you'll be further from the blast zone.

This is pretty hard to explain, here's a picture I made in ~5 minutes:

So as you can see, DI is making your launch trajectory longer by curving it.
Please tell me if my explanation wasn't good enough, I'll try to look for that video I saw earlier. You can check the wiki for more info, I guess: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Directional_influence

Welcome to Smash Boards, btw :)

Last edited:

lv9000

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the answer!Your explanation makes perfect sense and I understand DI much better than before:).

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
This is a similar question to one above, all of my friends don't play smash and the nearest weekly is a long way away, additionally my internet can't handle FG or anything of the sort. I am grinding out tech skill constantly but how should I improve my neutral game because it sucks badly

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
DI is basically changing your trajectory by moving the control stick. DI applies only to vertical trajectory, vectoring for horizontal.
DI still applies with horizontal knockback, it's just that vectoring is so much more effective that it's not worth using it. Other than that, your explanation looks good to me!

Last edited:

TheUnknownMartin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nixtram
3DS FC
0001-3368-2017
I have a question that hopefully wasn't answered.
When and how much should you roll. I've had this habit of always rolling, but now I'm starting to finally dash, dodge, airdodge, and shield more often. However, I've still been rolling a lot (my witness is JoeySnail), which worries me, considering most sm4shers I've seen don't roll too much. Any alternates if I am rolling too much? How can I prevent myself from rolling to often. Sorry for these flood of questions. Thank you for helping!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I have a question that hopefully wasn't answered.
When and how much should you roll. I've had this habit of always rolling, but now I'm starting to finally dash, dodge, airdodge, and shield more often. However, I've still been rolling a lot (my witness is JoeySnail), which worries me, considering most sm4shers I've seen don't roll too much. Any alternates if I am rolling too much? How can I prevent myself from rolling to often. Sorry for these flood of questions. Thank you for helping!
Unbind L and R from Shield and play the game that way. You won't be able to airdodge, which really you shouldn't be abusing that either, but it'll force you to think of different ways to dodge attacks and help you realize how many opportunities you're losing when you roll. Once you feel comfortable, rebind them.

That, or you could try to refrain from using them much. It still is important to roll, just don't use it as your primary movement option, not even a secondary or tertiary.

TheUnknownMartin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nixtram
3DS FC
0001-3368-2017
Unbind L and R from Shield and play the game that way. You won't be able to airdodge, which really you shouldn't be abusing that either, but it'll force you to think of different ways to dodge attacks and help you realize how many opportunities you're losing when you roll. Once you feel comfortable, rebind them.

That, or you could try to refrain from using them much. It still is important to roll, just don't use it as your primary movement option, not even a secondary or tertiary.
Hmm... Not a bad idea. I'll try it. When do you think a roll is completely necessary? And what would be the best moving option for Lucina? Again, sorry for this lot of questions.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this is true, but I think the game starts faster. Can someone confirm this?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I have a quick question out of pure curiosity... What does "JV" stands for? I know what it is, I'm just curious about the letters.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Stock
It says JV is named after Jv3x3, a guy who hosted tournaments, so it doesn't actually stand for anything.

-- On a side note, I hope more people see this thread, because I can't answer some of these questions...

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Is the WiiU version of the game actually faster than the 3DS version? I only have the 3DS version but I swear that in the videos of stuff I've seen of the WiiU version everything seems to be a little faster.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Is the WiiU version of the game actually faster than the 3DS version? I only have the 3DS version but I swear that in the videos of stuff I've seen of the WiiU version everything seems to be a little faster.
Faster how?

Assuming you mean the actual game itself, and not menus or load times, it's the same speed. Physics and characters are the same on both versions.

The 3DS version does have the blast zones farther away from the stage than the wii u version does.

Nah

Smash Champion
Faster how?

Assuming you mean the actual game itself, and not menus or load times, it's the same speed. Physics and characters are the same on both versions.

The 3DS version does have the blast zones farther away from the stage than the wii u version does.
Yeah I meant the game itself. But if it really is the same then I guess my eyes must be playing tricks on me or something

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I was trying the bucketing Sheik's up B with G&W, but it didn't work in team battle. Is it patched or are the tournament doubles not in team battle mode?

Top Bottom