• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I was trying the bucketing Sheik's up B with G&W, but it didn't work in team battle. Is it patched or are the tournament doubles not in team battle mode?
1. Was Sheik on your team?
2. Was team attack on?

I didn't know you could bucket it btw, that's cool :p

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Recently I was searching the forums on the topic of 8 player smash where summarized the following facts were determined:
  1. Pokemon Stadium 2, Norfair and Pyrosphere have their hazards removed when at least 5 players enter. Orbital Gate Assault loses its transitions as well.
  2. Stages do not grow in size in 8 player smash mode
some of those forums went on about tournament viability of those stages in those conditions, but my idea and question is on another aspect of what 8 player smash can offer.

Isn't it possible for bigger teams to be formed in 8 player smash for tourneys? Is it viable to have two teams of four players, two teams of three players or four teams of two players? It just seemed like a really cool idea to me.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
two teams of four seems like an amazing idea and a terrible one at the same time. It'd be really hectic (especially with team attack on), and a single stray hit would be pretty much guaranteed to lead into a 0-death almost 100% of the time.

The concept has promise, but I just don't see it working as well as it could.

Last edited:

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
I have a question about smash attacks. Ive been working on my pivot smash attacks and I noticed I can only pivot forward smash. Is it possible to pivot down and up smash after running? I can only do run pivot forward smash.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I have a question about smash attacks. Ive been working on my pivot smash attacks and I noticed I can only pivot forward smash. Is it possible to pivot down and up smash after running? I can only do run pivot forward smash.
You can do pivot f-smash and pivot u-smash. No pivot d-smash.

You might have to jump cancel the u-smash, don't remember exactly.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
You can do pivot f-smash and pivot u-smash. No pivot d-smash.

You might have to jump cancel the u-smash, don't remember exactly.

Thank you much! And yeah, u have to jump cancel the pivot up smash. The timing is way more strict that the pivot forward smash.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
If I have a question on how to deal with a certain character, should I go to the thread where that character I'm struggling with is, or the thread where the character I'm maining is?

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Maybe I'm just seeing weird things, but I notice that when I receive horizontal knockback, I'm more likely to hit the blast zone if I hit airdodge as soon as I end hit stun.

Usually you can sense whether a knockback will be the end of someone simply by the speed they fly at. During certain times when I get hit, it doesn't seem like I'd lost the stock, but when I airdodge, I go kaboom shortly after.

Anyone experience this? Does airdodge have a negative impact on recovery at this point in time?

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Maybe I'm just seeing weird things, but I notice that when I receive horizontal knockback, I'm more likely to hit the blast zone if I hit airdodge as soon as I end hit stun.
Usually you can sense whether a knockback will be the end of someone simply by the speed they fly at. During certain times when I get hit, it doesn't seem like I'd lost the stock, but when I airdodge, I go kaboom shortly after.

Anyone experience this? Does airdodge have a negative impact on recovery at this point in time?
I've experienced the same thing too. I believe that there was a thread on how knockback is affected when jumping, air dodging, and doing nothing.
Also does anyone know if it's possible to change controls to where movement is on the right stick rather than the left stick.

febLey

Smash Cadet
NNID
febLey
Can anyone tell me if the selected stages in the random stage switch are saved after shutting down the game?

Little explanation: I really hate the Pacman stage, so I don't want it to be in the random stage pool. As soon as I unlock it I'll also unlock the random stage switch. This would solve my problem, but I don't want to disable the pacman stage every time I boot up the game.

I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I'm a lazy person.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Can anyone tell me if the selected stages in the random stage switch are saved after shutting down the game?

Little explanation: I really hate the Pacman stage, so I don't want it to be in the random stage pool. As soon as I unlock it I'll also unlock the random stage switch. This would solve my problem, but I don't want to disable the pacman stage every time I boot up the game.

I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I'm a lazy person.
Yes. Random select saves which stages are on and off after a shutdown.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
So I'm going to buy Ryu, Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo on the 3DS version of the latest Smash. How many blocks (SD card space) do they take up?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
So I'm going to buy Ryu, Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo on the 3DS version of the latest Smash. How many blocks (SD card space) do they take up?
Almost none. The actual fighter data is already on the SD card with the updates (1.0.6 for mewtwo, 1.0.8 for the rest). The download for them is just an unlock switch type thing, rather than an actual full download.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Almost none. The actual fighter data is already on the SD card with the updates (1.0.6 for mewtwo, 1.0.8 for the rest). The download for them is just an unlock switch type thing, rather than an actual full download.
Whoa really?! Thanks!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973

I've experienced the same thing too. I believe that there was a thread on how knockback is affected when jumping, air dodging, and doing nothing.
Also does anyone know if it's possible to change controls to where movement is on the right stick rather than the left stick.
It's not really that airdodging makes you die earlier, it's just that your momentum doesn't stop once you get out of hitstun- meaning that even if you can act, you're still moving somewhat in the direction you were launched for a short time.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
1. Was Sheik on your team?
2. Was team attack on?

I didn't know you could bucket it btw, that's cool :p
I guess team attack isn't on in FG, that makes sense.

What exactly is tech skill? I know teching is hititng L or R right after bouncing off something, but tech skill seems like a different term.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I guess team attack isn't on in FG, that makes sense.

What exactly is tech skill? I know teching is hititng L or R right after bouncing off something, but tech skill seems like a different term.
Tech skill is execution, basically. How good you are at inputting something and getting the desired result.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
So, I only just now noticed that patch 1.0.9 hit. Anyone found anything different yet? Are there threads already talking about this? Is there a better place for me to ask these questions?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
So, I only just now noticed that patch 1.0.9 hit. Anyone found anything different yet? Are there threads already talking about this? Is there a better place for me to ask these questions?
1.0.9 wasn't a balance/gameplay change. There's nothing to find.

Banneret

Smash Rookie
Guys, I have been struggling for the past few days deciding on my controls.
I have tap jump on and C stick set to tilts. I kinda mindlessly followed ZeRo's control scheme but in the end it happened to have a great effect on my play (In a good way).

First, I love to use the C stick for my aerials, I just feel I have more control when fast falling into or out of them.
For example, Captain Falcon's up air, I enjoy short hopping into uair then immediately fast falling.
I do this with jump button Y and quickly flicking the C stick up then the joy stick down for my fast fall.
I feel I am losing air time or something when I do this (use the Y button then flicking C stick) but I don't like using the joy stick + A button because I feel I don't have full control of my aerials.

Can anyone help me with this situation?
Like any tips or ideas that would help me come to a conclusion on what to do?
Basically I enjoy fast falling and aerials but with joy stick + A it's kinda hard imo because I have to press down then immediately (for example) back air.

Captain Falcon for example, I enjoy using tap jump as well for most of his aerials because it lets me fast fall while keeping my momentum (using C stick) but I also enjoying using Y + C stick lol.

Tbh I just want to have the same movement or even better movement than ZeRo. He makes fast falling to aerials look so easy and I just want to know how he does it!
I've heard tap jumping for short hops or jumping in general isn't good because you need the joy stick for other things, but I don't think that's really true.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Guys, I have been struggling for the past few days deciding on my controls.
I have tap jump on and C stick set to tilts. I kinda mindlessly followed ZeRo's control scheme but in the end it happened to have a great effect on my play (In a good way).

First, I love to use the C stick for my aerials, I just feel I have more control when fast falling into or out of them.
For example, Captain Falcon's up air, I enjoy short hopping into uair then immediately fast falling.
I do this with jump button Y and quickly flicking the C stick up then the joy stick down for my fast fall.
I feel I am losing air time or something when I do this (use the Y button then flicking C stick) but I don't like using the joy stick + A button because I feel I don't have full control of my aerials.

Can anyone help me with this situation?
Like any tips or ideas that would help me come to a conclusion on what to do?
Basically I enjoy fast falling and aerials but with joy stick + A it's kinda hard imo because I have to press down then immediately (for example) back air.

Captain Falcon for example, I enjoy using tap jump as well for most of his aerials because it lets me fast fall while keeping my momentum (using C stick) but I also enjoying using Y + C stick lol.

Tbh I just want to have the same movement or even better movement than ZeRo. He makes fast falling to aerials look so easy and I just want to know how he does it!
I've heard tap jumping for short hops or jumping in general isn't good because you need the joy stick for other things, but I don't think that's really true.

There's a whole thread about which controller/control scheme to use here

http://smashboards.com/threads/controller-button-mapping-advice-thread.390033/

The initial post does a really good job covering the pros/cons of every controller, tap jump settings, and C-stick settings, so hopefully it can answer your question.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I'd like some clarification on correctly inputting DI when being hit with multiple hitting attacks.

So when I get trapped into a flurry of hits (PK Fire, ZSS Up-B, etc) to get out ASAP, is it as simple as inputting as many directional inputs both on joystick and c-stick in the direction I want to travel to escape?

Do I need the joysticks to return back to neutral before inputting again? In some scenarios, I'm trying to DI backward out of PK Fire so I roll the stick back and forth between up-back and down-back. The inputs would be something like UB, B, DB, B, UB, repeat). Does that count towards DI-ing out?

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
Why does almost everyone on for glory leave me after one game? I usually win for glory matches but if I don't they are close and my opponent leaves right after. I main diddy, so I don't know if it that I play diddy or people only play one match a person? Oh and my internet is good so it's not that

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Why does almost everyone on for glory leave me after one game? I usually win for glory matches but if I don't they are close and my opponent leaves right after. I main diddy, so I don't know if it that I play diddy or people only play one match a person? Oh and my internet is good so it's not that
There a couple of reasons that it could be:

1) Your connection. Most people won't want to play in a laggy enviroment.
2) They don't like the way you or your character fights.
3) They don't want to lower their wine rate.
4) They just want to fight different people every match.

It's not really possible to say which one it is in every case.

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
Here's a silly question.

What's the best way to execute a "tilt"? I know you can pull them off the same way you'd use a smash attack (A + whatever direction), but I always seem to get them accidentally as opposed to when I really need them.

How do you guys pull them off? I've never really conditioned myself to using the C Stick or anything like that. Is there some trick that I'm just missing?

Banneret

Smash Rookie
Here's a silly question.

What's the best way to execute a "tilt"? I know you can pull them off the same way you'd use a smash attack (A + whatever direction), but I always seem to get them accidentally as opposed to when I really need them.

How do you guys pull them off? I've never really conditioned myself to using the C Stick or anything like that. Is there some trick that I'm just missing?
The general tip is to have the joy stick up + A for up tilts, you can move the joystick left/right slightly + A to perform forward tilts (or you can perform them out of an action by holding it left/right before your action ends, then pressing A to ftilt), down tilt is pretty much just like up tilt where you have the joy stick down + A lol

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Here's a silly question.

I honestly had more trouble with this than I should have when I started playing as well, but you aren't going to like my answers.

Your first, arguably easiest option is to set your C-stick to do tilts, known by some as T-sticking. Not only will this let you do them easier (since using the stick eliminates the possibility of doing smash attacks instead), but it's also useful for some mid-high level tech. However, if your problem is performing tilts when you want to perform smashes instead, this will not help at all, as you can still get tilts from normal means as well.

The second method is to simply practice the timing of when you input the direction and attack commands. Putting them too close together is what gets you accidental smashes, while spacing them further apart gets tilts (if you did the direction first). While this technically works, and can be useful for learning to utilize tilts, it simply isn't viable in competitive play most of the time. The purpose of using a tilt over a smash is generally because they are faster, and intentionally waiting between commands completely nullifies the advantage in startup speed.

The most common (and incredibly useful to learn) option is to simply practice not "smashing" the directional input. This can be achieved through moving the joystick more slowly in a direction, or ideally just by stopping short of pushing all the way in one direction. While it may feel infuriating to pick up, this will get you the most milage in terms of your gameplay by helping to eliminate accidental smashes AND tilts. You may opt to switch into T-sticking still at a later date, but this is really a must-have skill to utilize both tilts and smashes well.

Finally, for a quick and reliable fix, you can always use other moves to avoid smashing. While you are in an animation that cannot be altered (like in the middle of throwing an attack or rolling), if you know what tilt you want to do immediately after your current animation ends, push the direction while still locked in your current action. While you can use this to "buffer" moves (have them occur on the first frame possible), if you're having trouble getting tilts I'd suggest inputting the direction ASAP, and then waiting until the last second to input the attack command. If done correctly, this will allow you to buffer tilts, though some characters's quick recovery time on their moves makes this a bit difficult. This should also only be done in conjunction with one of the earlier options, as it won't help you any if you aren't currently locked into anything.

So, TL:DR, best options are either learning T-stick control schemes and/or more precise joystick control, but there are other ways to do it as well if you need a jumping off point.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
If you don't want to turn the C-stick into tilts, I think the best way is to tilt your control stick first, then do the attack, since smash attacks are when you do it at the same time. If you do it right, you can tilt the stick all the way. Make sure you don't tilt it too fast, though, or it might turn into a dash attack.
U-Tilts are easier with Tap Jump off, and D-tilts are the easiest because you can wait until your character is crouching first.

Last edited:

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Regarding tourney mode:

How exactly do you create 1v1 'Regular' tournaments? I can only seem to make the FFA ones, which I'm not interested in.

mat7772

Smash Cadet
So I just bought a Wii U Lan Adapter and a wired connection, and after playing with some people in my region I still have connection issues, however it's definitely not on their end, it's on mine. My family use the wifi quite often and as a result the gameplay is effected badly. Sometimes input lag, but majority of the time it is lag spikes. When they're not using the wifi I am fine.

It probably doesn't help that my TV is also connected to the modem... Is there any way I can like edit the amount of bandwidth each uses or something? Anything I could do to minimise lag? I've tried turning off wifi on devices I don't use but it doesn't really do much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've noticed that after the newest update, whenever I do 8-Player Smash, I can no longer access the HOME menu while I'm at the results screen. I can still do this with the other game modes though.

Has anyone else noticed this change?

Nah

Smash Champion
Ya know how you can transfer custom moves and Miis from one version of the game to the other? Is there anything else you can transfer besides those things?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Ya know how you can transfer custom moves and Miis from one version of the game to the other? Is there anything else you can transfer besides those things?
Equipment will transfer but like customs they can't be edited in any way.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Regarding tourney mode:

How exactly do you create 1v1 'Regular' tournaments? I can only seem to make the FFA ones, which I'm not interested in.
You can't, sadly. Lots of people are hoping it'll be changed :/

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
Okay. So I was wondering, so the counter has a really wired tendency to miss when I have full bruiser equiptment. Does anybody know why this happens?
Here's a video for reference

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Well first of all....Rest has frame 1 invincibility, so it wouldn't have hit anyway. :p

No clue why the recoil's there, though. It seems similar to shield pushback, maybe it has something to do with that?

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
Well first of all....Rest has frame 1 invincibility, so it wouldn't have hit anyway. :p

No clue why the recoil's there, though. It seems similar to shield pushback, maybe it has something to do with that?
I don't think counter hits same frame of attack. I could be wrong though

Rapidkirby3k

"Let's Go!"
NNID
Rapidkirby3k
Switch FC
0884-6756-7584
Hey, I have a quick question about the new tournament mode in the Wii U edition of Smash:

Having joined a friend of mine's tourney for a gaming clan I go to, I discovered the 'Random Stage Switch' screen while looking at its Stage Switch section by pressing L. However, I'm afraid to deselect some of the stages I don't like or never gained any interest, which begs the question: Does this affect only my stage selections for online or does it change everything else? If the latter, I really don't want to risk getting banned for any alteration.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Three questions; thanks in advance for the help:

1. Is there a way to quickly switch between the general "Versus" mode and "My Music" feature in Super Smash Bros. 4 (as seen with how the menu cursor changes between timestamps 3:50 - 4:00 of this video)? For example, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the "My Music" frequency for each stage had to be adjusted separately from the "Versus" mode, but the aforementioned video makes it look like the cursor can switch between "normal stage selection", "Omega Form stage selection", and "My Music frequency selection" seamlessly.

2. How are the names for Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle (both from Super Smash Bros. 64) formatted in North American English editions of Super Smash Bros. 4 and European English editions of Super Smash Bros. 4? For example, the name for Super Smash Bros. 64's Kongo Jungle stage is apparently formatted as "Kongo Jungle 64" in the North American English edition of Super Smash Bros. 4 and as "Kongo Jungle (64)" in the European English edition of Super Smash Bros. 4.

3. Regarding Captain Olimar and the "Alph" alternate costume of Super Smash Bros. 4 - in the "Records" section, are Alph's Records made distinct from Olimar's, or do their Records get combined/shared into one Record for Olimar?

Top Bottom