• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hey, I have a quick question about the new tournament mode in the Wii U edition of Smash:

Having joined a friend of mine's tourney for a gaming clan I go to, I discovered the 'Random Stage Switch' screen while looking at its Stage Switch section by pressing L. However, I'm afraid to deselect some of the stages I don't like or never gained any interest, which begs the question: Does this affect only my stage selections for online or does it change everything else? If the latter, I really don't want to risk getting banned for any alteration.
I don't really get the question, but if you're asking what random stage select does, it allows you to switch which stages can (and can't) be chosen once you press the "random stage" button. This is in normal Smash mode, too, so you can try it there.
1. Is there a way to quickly switch between the general "Versus" mode and "My Music" feature in Super Smash Bros. 4 (as seen with how the menu cursor changes between timestamps 3:50 - 4:00 of this video)? For example, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the "My Music" frequency for each stage had to be adjusted separately from the "Versus" mode, but the aforementioned video makes it look like the cursor can switch between "normal stage selection", "Omega Form stage selection", and "My Music frequency selection" seamlessly.
There's two buttons that trigger each respectively. I know for Nunchucks it's 1 for omega and 2 for music, but I don't know about the other controllers.
I guess you'll just have to try out the other buttons or check the manual if nobody else answers your question.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I don't think counter hits same frame of attack. I could be wrong though
You would be correct, but I didn't mean that Rest has invincibility ONLY on frame 1- just that that's where it starts. Iirc the invincibility ends frame 25 , around when Puff closes her eyes.

Last edited:

ViridianViridi

Smash Cadet
NNID
UseFieryDance
3DS FC
2277-6687-2973
Are there any good alternatives to For Glory? As a semi-noob, I am sick and tired of being called a ******, ******, etc. via the name tag feature.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Are there any good alternatives to For Glory? As a semi-noob, I am sick and tired of being called a ******, ******, etc. via the name tag feature.
Anther's Ladder is the most popular one.
It takes a bit more of setting up, though, since you have to friend each other, etc., but other than that it should be a good alternative.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Hi, I have an issue that doesn't come up when I google it so I'm trying here.

I keep getting a disc read error on my game but only when certain songs play, like Seven Melodies on Onett. My game is old so I can't just get a refund for it, what I want to know is if I can solve this by purchasing the downloadable version off the eshop.

Will my data still be saved on the system? As in can I just download the game and play it as normal with all my dlc and tags with no errors without the disc?

I would like to confirm this before I let go of 60 bucks.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I keep getting a disc read error on my game but only when certain songs play, like Seven Melodies on Onett. My game is old so I can't just get a refund for it, what I want to know is if I can solve this by purchasing the downloadable version off the eshop.

Will my data still be saved on the system? As in can I just download the game and play it as normal with all my dlc and tags with no errors without the disc?

I would like to confirm this before I let go of 60 bucks.
I had a similar problem with Brawl, and once I borrowed my friend's disc, all the data was still in the Wii. Since they had a less broken disc, the glitches weren't there either.

I would say yes, it should be fine, but I'd wait for somebody else to confirm it.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'm looking through some of the Smash4 files that I have and noticed that there doesn't seem to be an allow interrupt command. Identified or unidentified.

Which leads to my question. Can someone give me a single move that has IASA frames to see if the code is actually in the file or not? According to one of my friends, Mario has one on his ftilt in Brawl, but the code isn't present in Smash4. Want to make sure it's still in the files or not.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Hi, I just have a complety random question. In the fighter records, what does the Average Group Size mean?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Honestly, I don't think it really matters dude. I refer to the punk rock mentality when I say "F*ck what they think and be yourself." Playing in For Fun (which is really a misnomer) makes you nothing less of a player. You will come in contact with douchebags online. Just because you don't play in For Glory, but play in For Fun does not mean you're a "scrub" or some other Smash derogatory term. The only differences are the courses aren't significantly deprived of features and you have items, which while they are frowned upon in the community, if they were a bad thing, Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble to have them developed.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't think it really matters dude. I refer to the punk rock mentality when I say "F*ck what they think and be yourself." Playing in For Fun (which is really a misnomer) makes you nothing less of a player. You will come in contact with douchebags online. Just because you don't play in For Glory, but play in For Fun does not mean you're a "scrub" or some other Smash derogatory term. The only differences are the courses aren't significantly deprived of features and you have items, which while they are frowned upon in the community, if they were a bad thing, Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble to have them developed.
That's just fine, but only if you don't want to play competitive.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
That's just fine, but only if you don't want to play competitive.
Consider it competitive-in-training.

I don't like the stereotypes that if you play in For Fun, it means you don't want to play competitively. That's just wrong.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Honestly, if it weren't for items being turned on For Fun would probably be better training for competitive play. You get exposed to every stage the game has (including the ones that are banned, but nothing's perfect), and the lack of win rates means there's less pressure to win...allowing you to test out new strategies that you might not really explore were you focused solely on winning.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Honestly, if it weren't for items being turned on For Fun would probably be better training for competitive play. You get exposed to every stage the game has (including the ones that are banned, but nothing's perfect), and the lack of win rates means there's less pressure to win...allowing you to test out new strategies that you might not really explore were you focused solely on winning.
True, even someone like me who's had their *** saved by items before, there are some I wish would be turned off.

It would be great though for a course like on For Glory to be untouched like Sonic's course or Palutena's Temple (or Temple from Melee for that matter) I've always thought "illegal" stages should be allowed, especially in tournament situations. It would be more interesting to watch, and maybe the matches would last longer instead of immediately going in for the kill on a bare course.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
True, even someone like me who's had their *** saved by items before, there are some I wish would be turned off.

It would be great though for a course like on For Glory to be untouched like Sonic's course or Palutena's Temple (or Temple from Melee for that matter) I've always thought "illegal" stages should be allowed, especially in tournament situations. It would be more interesting to watch, and maybe the matches would last longer instead of immediately going in for the kill on a bare course.
I mean, if Temple is legal I'm going to literally run away all game... That's pretty boring...

J Dandy

Smash Rookie
NNID
3DLonggui
A somewhat unorthodox question...

During my last Smash session, the right trigger on my gamecube controller was KIA. Is there any website I could get one for cheap? I want to get one from newegg when I get paid, but is there a cheap one to suffice until then?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I hope it is all right to post this here, but it is a general Q&A thread so...

How can I improve my Wall tech skill? In other words, not get stage spiked. are there any methods to improve this skill or is it just keep trying till you get it in random matches?

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I hope it is all right to post this here, but it is a general Q&A thread so...

How can I improve my Wall tech skill? In other words, not get stage spiked. are there any methods to improve this skill or is it just keep trying till you get it in random matches?
I love to wall tech with C.falcon on melee.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Thanks.

Is there a way to delete certain portions of Smash 4, say online records? I feel to condition myself, each time I get off before I turn off the console, i religiously delete the online records until I get better. Is there a way to do this instead of deleting the games data altogether (which it would be doing if I went to data management on the Wii U). I don't want to lose everything, just the online record data.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Does Smash run have higher gravity? I've noticed that a lot of aerial attacks that could be autocanceled from a short hop don't in Smash Run. The logical explanation would be that it has higher gravity but I don't have the tools to test it. Can someone confirm or rebut this? (I asked this question in the solo mode forum but it didn't get any attention so I'm reporting it here. Sort about that)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Thanks.

Is there a way to delete certain portions of Smash 4, say online records? I feel to condition myself, each time I get off before I turn off the console, i religiously delete the online records until I get better. Is there a way to do this instead of deleting the games data altogether (which it would be doing if I went to data management on the Wii U). I don't want to lose everything, just the online record data.
Each name has a different record, so you can choose a different name every time, then delete the name you used.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Each name has a different record, so you can choose a different name every time, then delete the name you used.
Yeah, I know. They're divided into three different categories. I looked on the virual manual, but all it gave me was deleting all the date altogether.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know. They're divided into three different categories. I looked on the virual manual, but all it gave me was deleting all the date altogether.
Are we talking about the same thing? I don't get what you mean by "three different categories"...

Kometaro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4398-9712-0018
Are the percentages/damage the same on both versions? (just wondering, someone is trying to tell me they're different)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Are the percentages/damage the same on both versions? (just wondering, someone is trying to tell me they're different)
They should be, practically everything like the hitboxes should be the same.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Rolllllls! I'm getting better at everything but punishing these things on FG. If someone rolls, there's a 33% percent chance of me knowing where they're going. Left, right or on the spot. If all someone does is roll, I have no idea where they're going to go next, and even my long-lasting attacks seem to miss them, especially Mac and Falcon players. If I try roll spamming (and normally I don't), people seem to be able to hit me every time. If they roll spam, it feels like they're totally invincible.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Rolllllls! I'm getting better at everything but punishing these things on FG. If someone rolls, there's a 33% percent chance of me knowing where they're going. Left, right or on the spot. If all someone does is roll, I have no idea where they're going to go next, and even my long-lasting attacks seem to miss them, especially Mac and Falcon players. If I try roll spamming (and normally I don't), people seem to be able to hit me every time. If they roll spam, it feels like they're totally invincible.
Hypothetically, you're supposed to either just Down Smash or read the opponent to find out where exactly they roll, but everybody makes it sound really easy and it doesn't really help me either >_>
There's already a bunch of other threads that talk about this, hopefully these links help; I was too lazy to really read them.
http://smashboards.com/threads/best-way-to-punish-roll-spammers.395554/
http://smashboards.com/threads/combating-roll-spam-approaching-your-opponent-etc.406739/
http://smashboards.com/threads/whats-the-best-response-to-roll-spam.406888/
http://smashboards.com/search/1882670/?q=roll&o=date&c[title_only]=1
I have things to do.
?

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Does Smash run have higher gravity? I've noticed that a lot of aerial attacks that could be autocanceled from a short hop don't in Smash Run. The logical explanation would be that it has higher gravity but I don't have the tools to test it. Can someone confirm or rebut this? (I asked this question in the solo mode forum but it didn't get any attention so I'm reporting it here. Sort about that)
When you first start out in smash run, your stats are lower than they would normally be- your attacks don't hit as hard, you run as fast and you don't jump as high. The lowered Jump stat is what messes with autocancel windows, at least until you raise it up a bit. (funnily enough, your Gravity is LOWER to start, since the Jump stat also affects fall speed.)

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
When you first start out in smash run, your stats are lower than they would normally be- your attacks don't hit as hard, you run as fast and you don't jump as high. The lowered Jump stat is what messes with autocancel windows, at least until you raise it up a bit. (funnily enough, your Gravity is LOWER to start, since the Jump stat also affects fall speed.)
Uh, didn't know about the lowered stats. That would explain why Jit often feel like the characters are so sluggish when I start a Smash run session. I thought it was just the bigger areas that gave that impression. At what number do the stats become normal?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Thank You, Someone in a Smash Group tried telling me that Marth has a 1% percentage difference on the 3DS.(Didn't Agree)
Do they know about tippers? Marth is a bit weird because the tip of his sword does more damage, so that could be why there was a mistake.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Uh, didn't know about the lowered stats. That would explain why Jit often feel like the characters are so sluggish when I start a Smash run session. I thought it was just the bigger areas that gave that impression. At what number do the stats become normal?
I don't know if the exact number is known, but I'd guess somewhere between 50-100. Either way, it's pretty easy to get it back up and then some.

Top Bottom