• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
To wavebounce, you need to input the special command slightly before the direction. Vice versa for a B reverse, which reverses the special but not your momentum.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
What determines who shows up in the gold icon on the Classic Mode difficulty screen?
WVW69jALMrEPRK8yiw.jpe

It's not character with best score like on 3DS because Mewtwo has the top score for me, but Corrin is the one showing up. Anyone know?

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
AFAIK, it's the character you most recently completed Classic with, not who you got the highest score with.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
AFAIK, it's the character you most recently completed Classic with, not who you got the highest score with.
It's not. I've been beating Classic with Mewtwo over 10 times in a row. Still shows Corrin.

Super___Sonico

Smash Rookie
So, I'm in a bit of a situation with this game: I'm too salty. There are times when I know I want to play the game, but more often than not, I end up a miserable, salty mess after all is said and done. Even when I'm just casually messing around in FFAs with items on, I'll eventually get overly salty for some reason or another. From what I can tell, it basically comes from me taking the game too seriously and beating myself up over common and/or stupid mistakes, and it's a seriously unhealthy habit that I'm having a hard time trying to break. My mindset has led me to adopt an extreme inferiority complex and believe that the only winning move is not to play at all, but no matter how much I may want to quit, I will, inevitably, pick up the game again, most likely out of boredom or because my friends are playing. The worst part is that I don't know when to quit, either; I don't stop when I'm having fun because, well, I'm having fun, but I also don't want to stop when I'm not having fun because I don't want to end on such a sour note, holding onto some vacant hope that at some point, I'll magically start having fun again when in reality, the best option at that point is to just stop playing.
I guess the question I'm really trying to ask is this: what are some effective ways to minimize salt and "force" myself to take a more level-headed, less serious approach? This is starting to become a major problem not only for me, but my friends as well, who also play Smash and are really getting fed up with my ****. Not to mention, this mindset is pretty much preventing me from improving.
Hey man.

Just read this. I know the feeling. I started off the same way when I started playing. And it occasionally still happens.

Best thing I do, is simply step away from it for a while. If you get suuuper salty. Just ait back. And do something else. Play a fun match.

Smashketball where nothing matters for example.

Either that. Or if I'm super salty about a stupid death to a LVL 9. I keep at it until I figure out what I'm either doing wrong, or ask someone what I can do to change my strategy with a certain character (my Smash 4 main is Sonic).

Long and short, is either find a method that can calm you down while you play, or step away and do something else.

I know this isn't the best advice. But it's something.

Flqn

Smash Rookie
Hey, I play Melee and Project M and use a white first party controller

So I got Pokken and the WiiU pro controller and I was wondering, why don't more people use it for Sm4sh? So my question is what are the pros and cons of the pro controller with Sm4sh, thanks!

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I play Melee and Project M and use a white first party controller

So I got Pokken and the WiiU pro controller and I was wondering, why don't more people use it for Sm4sh? So my question is what are the pros and cons of the pro controller with Sm4sh, thanks!
Familiarity mostly, why bother getting used to a new controller when we are familiar with the GC controller? Also, some people don't like wireless because it can be a pain with connecting to consoles when they shouldn't. Gameplay wise, there isn't really a difference.

Poopt

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone!
I'm really new to the game and I've been plaing Greninja a ton. Now I'd like to do a combo where you uptilt or naturalair someone and run to the location where they will fall and up smash them. I'm having the problem doing the second upsmashing part. If I dash there I can't seem to turn the dash into a up smash and always end up dash attacking. If I just run/walk there I'm usually not fast enough. Is it even possible to smash out of a dash? Should I be doing a foxtrot or a prefect pivot or something like that to be able to smashup out of a dash?

EDIT: I'm playing on a 2ds with tap jumping disabled since I think that this should be helping me achive the combo (it also means that I have no acsess to the c stick

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone!
I'm really new to the game and I've been plaing Greninja a ton. Now I'd like to do a combo where you uptilt or naturalair someone and run to the location where they will fall and up smash them. I'm having the problem doing the second upsmashing part. If I dash there I can't seem to turn the dash into a up smash and always end up dash attacking. If I just run/walk there I'm usually not fast enough. Is it even possible to smash out of a dash? Should I be doing a foxtrot or a prefect pivot or something like that to be able to smashup out of a dash?

EDIT: I'm playing on a 2ds with tap jumping disabled since I think that this should be helping me achive the combo (it also means that I have no acsess to the c stick
It is just timing. Dash and then rotate the stick to the upwards position and immediately hit A. It may take some practice to get right.

Poopt

Smash Rookie
It is just timing. Dash and then rotate the stick to the upwards position and immediately hit A. It may take some practice to get right.
Thanks for the confirmation! Time to do some training then!

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but it's a question that's been really bugging me. A lot
of people have been complaining about Bayonetta being overpowered. Is she really? Or are
these people just whining/being lazy?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but it's a question that's been really bugging me. A lot
of people have been complaining about Bayonetta being overpowered. Is she really? Or are
She is not. She is really good, but not overpowered, especially if you know of the Brawl days of MK and ICs. It is just that she has comparatively simple combos that can be difficult to avoid, but not overpowered. Once people adjust to DI out of her combos (which can be done) the hype will go down. I can see her being #1 but she is not unbeatable.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
ZeRo
VoiD
Mr. R
Et cetera, et cetera. These are the names/nicknames that some people go by when they play Smash Bros., whether it be some relaxing friendlies or if they're entering tournaments.

The reason I'm here today is because I really need help on deciding one for me. It's important to say that I've been heavily debating names for the past several weeks now, but at every turn I find myself at another dead end. I'm awful at making names. Terrible. I mean, look at my username right now! "Smashifer". I honestly dislike this name, but have been waiting to find another name that I like to replace it when I gather the money to buy Premium.

But that's the thing... I'm incredibly indecisive. So far, with the few names I have been able to muster up, I've dropped them within a week. I suppose I should ask my question now...

How can I come up with a tag for myself when I enter tournaments? I've tried thinking to myself about it, but I always come up empty. Honestly, it's to the point where I'm getting slightly frustrated at myself that I can't think of a simple one or two words to go by. Thank you in advance, guys.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Hello everyone!

It might help to input jump at the same time as your up smash. You can cancel jump startup into up smash (which also makes you slide further!) and it removes the possibility of accidentally dash attacking...though I suppose it opens up the possibility of accidentally doing an aerial, but it's worth practicing for the extra distance anyway.

It's not that she's overpowered per se, just that she has some questionable design choices (safest and strongest counter in the game, 4f safe on shield OoS-usable combo starter with humongous disjoint and literally no endlag, rapid jab being safe on shield at the ledge thanks to bullet arts, dair landing impact kills, etc) and counters(ha) aggressive playstyles. If you play sloppy and leave yourself open, she punishes hard. If you're prone to overextending, you really only have yourself to blame if you get Witch Timed.

Mainly she's incredibly strong against overaggression but doesn't handle patient play quite as well, and Smash 4's community is heavily biased toward the former.

Shram

Smash Cadet
Are screen KO's random? I read here on smashpedia:
"whether you get Screen KO'd is not random, but rather it is determined by where in the sky you were."
but on smashwiki:
"Whether a character is Star KO'd or Screen KO'd is random, though Screen KOs are considerably rarer than Star KOs"

I hope it's not random, but I'm kinda leaning towards smashwiki's info.

Last edited:

Onee-San

Smash Rookie
I have a few questions.
1. Where can I find equations. I spent 20-40 minutes searching the web to no result.
2. Are Amiibos a good way to get custom equips. I've heard the get equips but not about the quality or quantity.
3. I'm making a map of smash run with key locations (work in progress) marked where would I post it.
4. How do I unlock the smash accademy forums?

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 questions.
1. Where can I find equations. I spent 20-40 minutes searching the web to no result.
2. Are Amiibos a good way to get custom equips. I've heard the get equips but not about the quality or quantity.
What equations are you talking about?

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
The equations for stats. Like dash speed for example you have the character's base stat than you have equip effects and spd bonus from equips.
Well, for any frame data, see here or here. As far as what Nintendo considers "base stats" there really aren't any.

Last edited:

Onee-San

Smash Rookie
Well, for any frame data, see here or here. As far as what Nintendo considers "base stats" there really aren't any.
It's not frame data I'm look for its the final speed after equipment effects and boosts. For example for sonic with 100 spd and the sprinter effect a possible equation would be (3.5 + 100) * 1.3 = 134.55: (base speed + speed from equips) * multiplier from equip effects = final speed.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
It's not frame data I'm look for its the final speed after equipment effects and boosts. For example for sonic with 100 spd and the sprinter effect a possible equation would be (3.5 + 100) * 1.3 = 134.55: (base speed + speed from equips) * multiplier from equip effects = final speed.
Yeah, no idea. I don't think anyone has labbed or looked at the coding for that since we don't use equipment.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I have a few questions.
3. I'm making a map of smash run with key locations (work in progress) marked where would I post it.
4. How do I unlock the smash accademy forums?
3 and 4 can probably be asked here instead: http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...ons-here-staff-answers-preferred.64734/unread

As for the amiibo question, check this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/unlocking-custom-moves-method-compilation.396789/
It sounds like amiibos are one way to get customs, but honestly I think the other methods are better unless you already have an amiibo.

Last edited:

Dusk Pit

Smash Apprentice
For the 3DS version, you can pop the SD card out before starting the game then reinsert it after it starts up.
What about wii u? I tried deleting all the dlc but it did let me start the game until I redownloaded them.

theanjo

Smash Rookie
Do we have frame data on all the taunts yet? It's a silly thing I've always wanted to know/study.

Onee-San

Smash Rookie
I don't think he has that. You can go here for character's air time, but that is the best he has.
In that case what about the most mobile character overall? Like air time, walk speed, run speed, air speed, recovery, jump height, ect.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
In that case what about the most mobile character overall? Like air time, walk speed, run speed, air speed, recovery, jump height, ect.
Too subjective. All characters have it balanced out, e.g. Falco has good jump height but bad run speed. Is there a reason you need to know this?

Onee-San

Smash Rookie
Too subjective. All characters have it balanced out, e.g. Falco has good jump height but bad run speed. Is there a reason you need to know this?
An experiment, I want to see how good a highly mobile character will do in smash run since with the right equips they have the potential to get all the chests. I've done it on greninja.

Nah

Smash Champion
Not necessarily. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what makes for good mobility and/or which mobility traits (and there's a lot of factors in mobility) are more important, but characters like Wario and Sheik and far more mobile overall than say Robin or Link. Though I find it unlikely that one character could truly be labeled the most mobile in the game.

As for your question O Onee-San some characters with great overall mobility specs would be like :4greninja::4zss::4sheik:. Could probably throw :4falcon::4palutena::4mewtwo: in there too I guess. Then there's some characters whose mobility comes more from their moves than their specs like :4bayonetta:(ABK+Witch Twist), :4cloud:(Limit Break, though it essentially just gives him a raw mobility increase+Climhazzard becoming good), or :4pikachu:(Quick Attack).

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Heya! Who is a good characters to lab with? I've been practicing Sheik combos with the Mario Bros., but
I want to use the most optimal character. Should I just switch around from floaties to fast fallers? Or is there a particular character who's the best at this?

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Heya! Who is a good character to lab with? I've been practicing Sheik combos with the Mario Bros., but
I want to use the most optimal character. Should I just switch around from floaties to fast fallers? Or is there a particular character who's the best at this?
A good character to lab with would be Mario considering he's the most balanced character in the game. Most of the labbing you see usually has Mario as a centerpoint, so you can use him if you want.

In the end though, it really just comes down to your preference in playstyles and working with that.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
A good character to lab with would be Mario considering he's the most balanced character in the game. Most of the labbing you see usually has Mario as a centerpoint, so you can use him if you want.

In the end though, it really just comes down to your preference in playstyles and working with that.
I've seen some people use Robin or Captain Falcon as the dummy though; are they better in any way?

Top Bottom