• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Smash 4 Question and Answer Thread

Halcy0n

Smash Cadet
Can someone send a link or some info on rage in smash 4? Like, when does it start, end, how it affects moves with set knockback. Stuff like that.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Rage is simply a final multiplier on knockback based on your percent.

For ≤35%, rage = x1.00
For 35-150%, rage = (1+(x-35)*0.0013), where x is your percent.
For ≥150%, rage = x1.15

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've done some more custom tests and how they interact with certain items, and I recently came across an anomaly.

It seems that if a fighter is equipped with the Bunny Hood, while your ground mobility does become faster, the Bunny Hood ended up weakening my fighter's air speed, as one of my customs moved slower in the air with the Bunny Hood on than when the Bunny Hood is not equipped.

Am I just imagining things, or does the Bunny Hood really have a negative impact on your fighter's air speed? I do know that it increases your fighter's jump height and falling speed as well.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
If there were customs involved, was it speed customs? I've heard that if you boost their speed by enough, it actually slows the character down, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If there were customs involved, was it speed customs? I've heard that if you boost their speed by enough, it actually slows the character down, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I did use custom sets with positive and negative speed values, along with the ones that used the Glider bonus effect.

Aoi Yui

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiki
3DS FC
1736-3974-1734
I wanted to know if using Amiibos to afk grind equips was worth it on the 3ds. I've heard its viable on the wii u but you get 8 person mode there. If it is worth it what amiibos should I buy and how many?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
What causes air releases? In matches I sometimes get a grab release and they end up right in front of me like usual, but sometimes there's an air release and I don't get what causes it. This is with yoshi, if it matters

Aoi Yui

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shiki
3DS FC
1736-3974-1734
I onestly feel like an idot asking this and this have felt very reluctant, but how to I perform titlts?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I onestly feel like an idot asking this and this have felt very reluctant, but how to I perform titlts?
Watch the How to Play video ingame; I think they call it strong attacks. Basically you move the joystick in a direction and press the attack button. Try doing a Down Tilt by waiting until your character crouches, then press Attack. If you still have trouble, tell me which controller you're using.
Also, would you believe me if I said I've already answered this question once before? Don't be afraid to ask questions because you'll miss out on basic things like this.
Link: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tilt_attack
EDIT: about your other question, Smash Run is infinitely less boring and expensive. Unless you like burning money for fun (buying 4 amiibos just for equips actually sounds insane to me), play Smash Run over and over again. I think it's pretty fun. Otherwise, I think Classic mode is worth a try.

Last edited:

BahnCalamari

Smash Rookie
I only have the wiiu version but am finding I have less time in front of my TV. How identical is the experience on the 3ds?

I have a 2ds and am considering getting a copy to not fall out of practice.

If it matters, I main Ness and Dedede and play in casual tournaments weekly.

Thanks.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I only have the wiiu version but am finding I have less time in front of my TV. How identical is the experience on the 3ds?

I have a 2ds and am considering getting a copy to not fall out of practice.

If it matters, I main Ness and Dedede and play in casual tournaments weekly.

Thanks.
The fighters pretty much operate in the same way, regardless of which game that you own. However, the non-DLC Omega form stages have larger blast zones in the 3DS version than in the Wii U version.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
The 3ds is also less capable of technical inputs, so if you're doing fancy stuff on Wii u you might see a bit of a downgrade in the transition.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Heya! Could someone please explain auto-cancelling, and how to do it?
Most aerials, if you time it right, can end before you reach the ground. If done correctly, there'll be no endlag. Obviously, if you want to spam aerials, no endlag between them is helpful so that you can spam a lot.

Best example is Pikachu's Dair; if you do it immediately with a shorthop, you won't get the animation when you hit the ground. If you want to try an easier aerial to autocancel, you can try Charizard's Nair with a shorthop. If you autocancel incorrectly, then Charizard will do a little bounce off the ground. Otherwise, he'll land on the ground with both feet and no lag.

Last edited:

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
More of a request than a question, but would it be possible for someone to get a screen shot of the entire roster for me? I can't seem to find any that have all the DLC characters included.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
More of a request than a question, but would it be possible for someone to get a screen shot of the entire roster for me? I can't seem to find any that have all the DLC characters included.
Would this be fine?
640px-SSBWiiU_Character_Select.jpg

SpaceCanary

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceCanary
I've heard that Goldeen can actually deal massive damage to swimming characters. Is this true, or is it a myth?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I've heard that Goldeen can actually deal massive damage to swimming characters. Is this true, or is it a myth?
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Goldeen
Not mentioned in the wiki, so it's probably not true. The wiki also mentions that there was a myth in Melee that Goldeen could also do horn drill, which was disproven, so Goldeen myths probably aren't new or anything.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Is there a place to discuss doubles? Stuff like team synergy, trying to figure out each character's archetype, maybe some match analysis. Was just looking around and couldn't find anything. I want to improve at the format but I find my resources are slim.

Seco_Beco

Smash Rookie
So, every time I go out for a fair with Mario and I miss the f-air I just end up losing my jump and can't recover. Meanwhile, the other person is sitting there taunting me. I try to do the same thing the same thing happens, and I have no jump. Why the heck do i lose my double jump its so frustrating

Last edited:

Seco_Beco

Smash Rookie
If you ran off the ledge, then jump and do the fair, then that is probably the reason why you are losing you double jump.
Wait what if I jump when I'm on the stage, then i fair, and i lose my double jump.

It's possible that you performed a mid-air jump "before" executing the f-air.
How do you get that thing with the rosy, mario and yoshi pic at the bottom of your comment? Also how would i know if i performed a mid-air jump?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Normally I'd say it's because tap jump is on, but idk about this combo. Also, even after losing your double jump, can't you Up B?
How do you get that thing with the rosy, mario and yoshi pic at the bottom of your comment? Also how would i know if i performed a mid-air jump?
It's called called a signature, you can go to your profile page and add it

Last edited:

Seco_Beco

Smash Rookie
Normally I'd say it's because tap jump is on, but idk about this combo. Also, even after losing your double jump, can't you Up B?
It's called called a signature, you can go to your profile page and add it
Thanks, Cool

Is there a place to discuss doubles? Stuff like team synergy, trying to figure out each character's archetype, maybe some match analysis. Was just looking around and couldn't find anything. I want to improve at the format but I find my resources are slim.
How did u get that little gengar and meta knight in your signature?

Last edited by a moderator:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
How did u get that little gengar and meta knight in your signature?
In any text entry field on this site, there's a spot on the bar above it with a little smiley face icon. Click on that, and you can add a myriad of icons to your post.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Wait what if I jump when I'm on the stage, then i fair, and i lose my double jump.

If you jump on the stage, then go for the fair, you don't lose you jump, you're doing something wrong here and I honestly don't know what.

It could be tap jump like someone else said, but I don't know why you would need to press up when you pressed the jump button once already.

The way you can tell if you have used your double jump is when you jump in mid-air, underneath you character, there will be a little white... 'thing' under your character that is the indication you have used a double jump.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
Hello, I've been kinda practicing Smash 4 lately, and I'm still really new to smash series. I only have the 3DS version of Smash 4, meaning that I have to deal with the controls from it instead of using a Gamecube-like controller, unless there's the way to hack my 3DS for inserting the Gamecube controller. I've been reading and watching Smash videos on YouTube, but I haven't gotten into For Glory yet. Is For Glory newbie friendly, and does it help me improve my skill more? I main Cloud, and I also play as Lucina & Shulk.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hello, I've been kinda practicing Smash 4 lately, and I'm still really new to smash series. I only have the 3DS version of Smash 4, meaning that I have to deal with the controls from it instead of using a Gamecube-like controller, unless there's the way to hack my 3DS for inserting the Gamecube controller. I've been reading and watching Smash videos on YouTube, but I haven't gotten into For Glory yet. Is For Glory newbie friendly, and does it help me improve my skill more? I main Cloud, and I also play as Lucina & Shulk.
If you only have experience against CPUs and stuff, you should probably go on For Glory. For Glory is sort of a mixed bag; you can end up playing someone really good, or someone who doesn't even know their character's moves yet. Still, playing against people is infinitely more helpful than against CPUs. Lots of people complain about some things on For Glory (lag, spam, etc.) but imo it should be just fine until you can play on Anther's Ladder or something.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
If you only have experience against CPUs and stuff, you should probably go on For Glory. For Glory is sort of a mixed bag; you can end up playing someone really good, or someone who doesn't even know their character's moves yet. Still, playing against people is infinitely more helpful than against CPUs. Lots of people complain about some things on For Glory (lag, spam, etc.) but imo it should be just fine until you can play on Anther's Ladder or something.
Awesome. Thank you so much. I'm going to finally play For Glory and keep practicing. I played against people before, but locally.

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
If you care about getting into competitive, be aware that one of For Glory's flaws is that it restricts you to an FD stage format. Which, contrary to what some might think, is not actually how competitive is played.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
If you care about getting into competitive, be aware that one of For Glory's flaws is that it restricts you to an FD stage format. Which, contrary to what some might think, is not actually how competitive is played.
Personally, I'm fine with the FD-like stages. I'm not going to ever be the top player at all. I just want to be at the decent skill level.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
how long should I have a gamecube controller before getting a new one? Few months? Couple years? Or should I never replace it unless it breaks? I feel like mine makes me mis input A LOT

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
how long should I have a gamecube controller before getting a new one? Few months? Couple years? Or should I never replace it unless it breaks? I feel like mine makes me mis input A LOT
Do a button check. Test every input, see if everything works just fine. If something doesn't, replace it. If everything works, then you should probably use it for a while longer as ee if any sort of common issue pops up. Don't just go and buy one unnecessarily, those aren't cheap.

isaiah :)

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Xais28X
3DS FC
4184-4265-4419
i need help? is there a place where i can find all the known frame data of all the characters compiled in a list?

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
i need help? is there a place where i can find all the known frame data of all the characters compiled in a list?
I'm fairly sure all of the character boards have a thread for frame data, you should check those out.

Top Bottom