• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I've been rather preoccupied lately and have a bit of a backlog of projects to work on, so I'm going to have to decline that. Since you're just recoloring a pre-existing CSP rather than re-rendering a new one or doing a fancy Ledge-style hybrid one, all it takes is some really basic gimp/photoshop work, and I think you should be perfectly capable of doing so.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
It's looking a lot better so far! The CSPs don't quite match the colors of the actual costumes, though. The sphere colors should probably also match his main fur color. The socks on Mars are still flat textures. Minty's shoes still don't match the S3 style. And it looked like things were still a bit compressed.
Definitely a step in the right direction, but there are a few steps left to go.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6e8wmkd94o2l1w/AAA1lMli4KbUtL7ZQUv5r6_Oa?dl=0
The sphere colors now match the fur, the CSP were fixed, Minty matches S3 style and the stripes on mars are still flat because i tried to use the free select as usual, new layer, i click on color, paint bucket or whatever, then it gives me flat textures.
And i dont have a CSP for shadow, sorry. BUT i can use SJS shadow CSP, it matches the S3 style.

Last edited:

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
As far as flat colors on the mars sonic CSP goes, you could use a "replace color" sort of thing and select the area where the stripes would be. I know how to do it in Photoshop, but know nothing about gimp. If you want, I could take a look and make my own CSPs for the costumes, but I've been busy lately. Also (Mew2) SJS is a guy who makes really nice CSPs. He has a thread on kcmm, and has also made some neat costumes.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
So you just want the spiked hair? I cant vertex and stuff like that. I dont know bowsers texture mapping very well. But Smash 3 shadow is on the vault now. Im gonna work on another texture that involves mario with Nintendo Power magezine.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6e8wmkd94o2l1w/AAA1lMli4KbUtL7ZQUv5r6_Oa?dl=0
The sphere colors now match the fur, the CSP were fixed, Minty matches S3 style and the stripes on mars are still flat because i tried to use the free select as usual, new layer, i click on color, paint bucket or whatever, then it gives me flat textures.
And i dont have a CSP for shadow, sorry. BUT i can use SJS shadow CSP, it matches the S3 style.
Post your xcf for Mars Sonic's socks.

Juken

Smash Ace
Have those two skins been updated at all between your last update and making the banner, or did you simply make a banner for the thread?

I'm guessing they got CSP/BPs

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I just whipped up some matching CSPs, BPs, and Stocks for ProjectBrawl7's 3C Triple M Sonic Costume Pack Thing. No Shadow CSPs or BPs yet, but I did make a stock icon that I've included. Here's an Imgur link:
http://imgur.com/a/pRqcq
Also, here's some feedback for the costumes:
Maritime looks great, and the coloring matches.
Mars' sphere doesn't match the fur color right, but the other stuff looks good.
Minty's sphere is unchanged, so it is off with the minty-green fur, but the rest looks good.
As far as Shadow goes, his fur looks straight up pitch black, and his red fur is a bit too red (When viewing in Brawl Costume Manager). This is from comparing it to the Smash 3 Costume and the Generations model Shadow.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Google is your friend, just don't forget!

Don't care about no previews B |

Also could we add Lord Roy to the chart: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207384

perhaps a list of bannerless stuff in the OP would be nice as well : S just saw a few things I'll want for later.
I honestly feel like the Melee Fox banner should focus more on the 64 3D version of him than the 64/Melee version. One big thing Smash 3 is doing is going for a character's most recent appearance. The most recent appearance of this design of Fox was 64 3D. I love that a 64/Melee version is also available, but I feel it should be the secondary of the two.

The header in the Meta Knight one isn't the same format as what we use, so it wouldn't look right with the rest of them.
I went ahead and fixed that one up for you:

Lord Roy... Currently, it's essentially an advanced recolor, and does not contain any model edits. We don't have anything like that included here at all yet. I believe the plan is to set up the second post to contain recolors of official S3 stuff, but it's not set up yet.
Someday, after the Smash 3 update, I'm considering maybe vertexing the model to match his lord armor a bit more, but who knows when that will happen.

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Ah sweet thanks for the fix,

as for the Star Fox thing I see your point. My small thing is that the101's recolours aren't exactly ideal for teams with the fact 3 colours basically have the same jacket and scarf. I think I'm going to make a third option that is 64 3D but with the melee team colours and have that be the default, then the two user made ones as alt options. I'll set this up later tonight perhaps.

I know there is that Lord Roy vertex stuff up on brawlvault, I just could not for the life of me add the changes to mine, for some reason it messed up the hair. No idea on that one.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
as for the Star Fox thing I see your point. My small thing is that the101's recolours aren't exactly ideal for teams with the fact 3 colours basically have the same jacket and scarf. I think I'm going to make a third option that is 64 3D but with the melee team colours and have that be the default, then the two user made ones as alt options. I'll set this up later tonight perhaps.
I'm indifferent as to which Fox is considered the standard, although I do agree that my Fox is a bit more current and that better reflects what Smash 3 tries to accomplish. The only thing I would say is that I did more with my Star Fox 64 3D swaps than just change a few colors. I retextured the boots and headset to be Smash 3 based, while on the Melee recolors they are untouched and are essentially as they are in P:M. The eye textures were also improved on both, with Melee Fox having blue eyes and my 643D Fox having green eyes. Originally, the eye texture was left as it was in P:M, much like the boots.
It's true that my pallette swaps are more subtle, and as a result are less useful in team battles, but I never saw it as too overwhelming of a concern because the Smash Bros. series isn't too consistent with them as well. I believe Samus' Blue Team swap in Melee wasn't even blue.
Also, I didn't leave the jacket and boots white out of laziness. They're actually based on stuff!
Red swap
Peppy Hare
Blue swap
Slippy Toad
Green swap
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64

Juken

Smash Ace
Well, seeing as how the whole point of the PM Fox alt costume is supposed to be Melee Fox and not the 64 3D Fox, I'd say that the Melee Fox being the standard is most logical, even if 64 3D is more recent.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Well, seeing as how the whole point of the PM Fox alt costume is supposed to be Melee Fox and not the 64 3D Fox, I'd say that the Melee Fox being the standard is most logical, even if 64 3D is more recent.
Is Fox in Project M based off of Fox in Melee, while Fox in Melee is based off of Star Fox 64? And if Falco and Fox are based off of Melee, than is Wolf the only one to be based on Star Fox 64?
Now I've confused myself. Am I from Melee?

TopazPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Juken

Smash Ace
Is Fox in Project M based off of Fox in Melee, while Fox in Melee is based off of Star Fox 64? And if Falco and Fox are based off of Melee, than is Wolf the only one to be based on Star Fox 64?
Yes.

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Wolf's alt is based off of his appearance in Star Fox 2, which was canceled. His 64/64 3D look was a little different.
But yes, I agree with you that ultimately, the Melee Fox and Falco alts are really SF64 alts in the end, just as they were in Melee itself.

And I think the idea of having the 64 3D 00 costume as default and having the Melee team colors as the default team colors could work.

Top Bottom