• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

Juken

Smash Ace
I think I understand what you're saying. Do you feel that his face could use more detailing to give it some more depth?
II guess... I can't really pinpoint it, but it's just something really off about his face in comparison to the others. If you spot it and fix it, please don't forget about the Melee alts!

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
II guess... I can't really pinpoint it, but it's just something really off about his face in comparison to the others. If you spot it and fix it, please don't forget about the Melee alts!
I accented the detailing in his fur, and I think it helps make his face more in-depth. Although I honestly feel it's difficult to compare Fox in Brawl to Fox in Melee because their designs are so radically different.
And of course I won't forget the Melee recolors! I think the textures could be updated a bit because they're a little dated. For example, the boots and headset weren't re-textured at all because Layell couldn't get the design to work well. I managed to do so, however. It's small changes like that that I'll have to do. He'll still have white gloves too, of course.
If you'd look at the recolors I had posted the third, fourth, and fifth ones are based off of those designs as well. I realized my previous recolors based on Peppy Hare and Slippy Toad were a bit too subtle to be beneficial in team battles, and I felt the Melee recolors had some classic appeal. After working on Fox, the green recolor from Melee is probably my personal favorite one that I've done.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Dont know if this is on topic but did you know that in the Starfox scene in the melee intro you see fox and wolf right? Actually, wolf is just fox with different textures.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Both are sadly :( ..But that doesnt stop my texture war against PICHU! I WILL KILL PICHU WITH THE POWER OF SMASH 3
But I thought the rim light was fixed in my download already... The only model that I had to cut was the spiky eared version, but that was due to the model it self being weird.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Actually, pichu looks smash 3 styled, im not kidding.
True, but the textures can use some of that shading magic. I think Edel has a tutorial for Smash 3 styled textures. However my biggest ocd-nitpick is that some spots on the model handle light in strange ways... But that will have to wait, all that matters is Smash 3 styled textures in semi-HD!

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
True, but the textures can use some of that shading magic. I think Edel has a tutorial for Smash 3 styled textures. However my biggest ocd-nitpick is that some spots on the model handle light in strange ways... But that will have to wait, all that matters is Smash 3 styled textures in semi-HD!
Now you can play pichu...IN SEMI AACH DEEEEEEE! lol

would love some shading, i suck with shading.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Well then, does anyone else think that pichu is already in a "smash 3" style with just the current rimlight?
Here's the link once more for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06d1rl0jef8v061/Pichu.rar?dl=0

If anyone after seeing these models in game thinks otherwise, then by all means attempt to give pichu a texture update. But if more people feel the same way that ProjectBrawl7 does, then pichu will just need updated csp's and he'll be "done".

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Well then, does anyone else think that pichu is already in a "smash 3" style with just the current rimlight?
Here's the link once more for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06d1rl0jef8v061/Pichu.rar?dl=0

If anyone after seeing these models in game thinks otherwise, then by all means attempt to give pichu a texture update. But if more people feel the same way that ProjectBrawl7 does, then pichu will just need updated csp's and he'll be done.
Actually, pichu looks smash 3 styled, im not kidding.
Pichu most certainly does not have proper textures, but it shouldn't be hard to give them to it.

A character doesn't just have to look a certain way - they have to have gone through the needed process as shown in Taiko's Texture Tutorial. It's a PDF available on the Smash 3 page and on the Smash 3C page. PLEASE go there whenever you feel like working on something. The steps are simple and
strait forward.

Another important step is rimlighting. What is rimlighting? Well, that's what gives characters a cool lighting affect on their body. Every character that Smash 3 released has been rimlit. Before ANYONE releases something here as "done", it should be rimlit. To know how that process works, Edel has published a tutorial thread right here on SmashBoards. It's linked at the beginning of the Smash 3 and Smash 3C threads.

But anyways, a character can't just have new textures or just be rimlit. That's not the quality that people deserve. Pichu is not done because it's textures haven't been edited.

And ProjectBrawl7, I'm sorry if this may seem blunt, and I know you legitimately worked on this for awhile, but your Shadow the Hedgehog is not really in Smash 3's style. The textures just look saturated and the model isn't even rimlit. I hope you take this criticism constructively, as oppose to taking it offensively.

I myself would be willing to work on both Pichu and Shadow, but that's after I get some other stuff done. I've currently have been working on Dry Bowser, Melee's Fox (with Layell), Melee's Falco, Concept Butter Knight (with Layell), Classic Pit, and Shadow Peach (with Agahnim), so there's been a lot on my plate.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Pichu most certainly does not have proper textures, but it shouldn't be hard to give them to it.

A character doesn't just have to look a certain way - they have to have gone through the needed process as shown in Taiko's Texture Tutorial. It's a PDF available on the Smash 3 page and on the Smash 3C page. PLEASE go there whenever you feel like working on something. The steps are simple and
strait forward.

Another important step is rimlighting. What is rimlighting? Well, that's what gives characters a cool lighting affect on their body. Every character that Smash 3 released has been rimlit. Before ANYONE releases something here as "done", it should be rimlit. To know how that process works, Edel has published a tutorial thread right here on SmashBoards. It's linked at the beginning of the Smash 3 and Smash 3C threads.

But anyways, a character can't just have new textures or just be rimlit. That's not the quality that people deserve. Pichu is not done because it's textures haven't been edited.

And ProjectBrawl7, I'm sorry if this may seem blunt, and I know you legitimately worked on this for awhile, but your Shadow the Hedgehog is not really in Smash 3's style. The textures just look saturated and the model isn't even rimlit. I hope you take this criticism constructively, as oppose to taking it offensively.

I myself would be willing to work on both Pichu and Shadow, but that's after I get some other stuff done. I've currently have been working on Dry Bowser, Melee's Fox (with Layell), Melee's Falco, Concept Butter Knight (with Layell), Classic Pit, and Shadow Peach (with Agahnim), so there's been a lot on my plate.
Speaking of which, I was curious if pichu in this case shared textures with pikachu and his goggles from pikachu's Smash 3 blue team color, and to my surprise they fit like a glove when properly sectioned off and replaced into the proper areas (because pichu's textures are all separate in the files compared to pikachu). But that is all that pichu in this case shares with his evolution. I don't have Photoshop personally, so after I perfect the "goggle transfer" I'll update the download one last time. Also this was a very detailed and needed explanation of the Smash 3 method and style. Though in hindsight when I was posting the -snip- I posted earlier, I should've put "" around "done"... though now that's been accomplished already. :p

Last edited:

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
hey guys I've been silent for a long time... that's what I was working on, alttp toon link:

Also I have some S3C stuff in the vault that didn't had banners there so I made them: http://imgur.com/a/rV1fg

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Alright I've updated my pichu download for the last time. The major change here is that his 3rd costume comes with the google textures from Smash 3 pikahu already inserted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06d1rl0jef8v061/Pichu.rar?dl=0

Good luck to any and all who attempt with texturing.

Also after this I'll be Rimlighting Geno from Version 2 of the psa on brawl vault.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace

strait forward.

I made shadow look smash 3 styled now, its looks great i say.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I made shadow look smash 3 styled now, its looks great i say.
I'm sorry my friend, but he doesn't fit the standards. Here are some comparisons that should be helpful for anyone here making content for Smash 3C.

Here is the original texture for Nanobuds' Shadow the Hedgehog on BrawlVault.
The model and textures were from Sonic Generations, just like Smash 3's Sonic. However, the texture isn't straight from that game.

This is the original texture from Sonic Generations. Note the lack of heavy detailing here. Nanobuds edited this so that the textures were more on par with Brawl's detailing. The detailing in Sonic Generations didn't have to be applied to the texture because those effects came from secondary lighting textures that wouldn't be in Brawl. However, you can still see the curve in Shadow's body and how color is applied. There is still shading here, with different parts being slightly darker than others. Sega knew what they were doing here.

This is your work, @ ProjectBrawl7 ProjectBrawl7 .
Now, when I look at this, I don't see the detailed shading that was on the previous textures, nor the clean separation between the black fur and his red stripes. The center of his muzzle is lighter than the rest of it. Otherwise everything here is too intense and saturated. While you may have worked hard, I feel that this is not close to the standards set by the Smash 3 Project.

As a comparison, here are the textures from their own recolor of Sonic with black fur, a subtle reference to Shadow.
Look at how drastically different this is from your attempt, ignoring the textures for his beige arms and belly (Shadow's arms and chest are furred). Unlike your texture, it's not just one color! You can see the shaded regions. The color tone here is nice, and not too saturated. This is true quality, and while it may be daunting, this is something we'd be going for.

You may argue that this comparison isn't fair, because Shadow and Sonic don't have the exact same textures. However, a good friend of mine - @ Aghanim Aghanim - actually did attempt to work on Shadow awhile ago before being preoccupied with other projects. Here is his work.
Note how you can see the shading here. The lighting on the muzzle is evenly distributed, without one light bright part. It's not terribly saturated, or at least not as much as your texture. It's not perfect, for Aghanim was unable to continue work on Shadow, but even now his quality is much closer to Smash 3 than your work was.

Last edited:

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
View attachment 43480 I did use the black sonic as a base, thats why i said it looks better now.
Okay, it does look a little better than it originally did, but it's still not particularly great. The muzzle and arms lack any shading details. The stripes all look like pentagonal shapes and - again - are all one base color. The stripes would have to have proper shading as well.
But I'm glad that you're taking constructive criticism, as opposed to being defensive.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
I'm sorry my friend, but he doesn't fit the standards. Here are some comparisons that should be helpful for anyone here making content for Smash 3C.

Here is the original texture for Nanobuds' Shadow the Hedgehog on BrawlVault.
The model and textures were from Sonic Generations, just like Smash 3's Sonic. However, the texture isn't straight from that game.

This is the original texture from Sonic Generations. Note the lack of heavy detailing here. Nanobuds edited this so that the textures were more on par with Brawl's detailing. The detailing in Sonic Generations didn't have to be applied to the texture because those effects came from secondary lighting textures that wouldn't be in Brawl. However, you can still see the curve in Shadow's body and how color is applied. There is still shading here, with different parts being slightly darker than others. Sega knew what they were doing here.

This is your work, @ ProjectBrawl7 ProjectBrawl7 .
Now, when I look at this, I don't see the detailed shading that was on the previous textures, nor the clean separation between the black fur and his red stripes. The center of his muzzle is lighter than the rest of it. Otherwise everything here is too intense and saturated. While you may have worked hard, I feel that this is not close to the standards set by the Smash 3 Project.

As a comparison, here are the textures from their own recolor of Sonic with black fur, a subtle reference to Shadow.
Look at how drastically different this is from your attempt, ignoring the textures for his beige arms and belly (Shadow's arms and chest are furred). Unlike your texture, it's not just one color! You can see the shaded regions. The color tone here is nice, and not too saturated. This is true quality, and while it may be daunting, this is something we'd be going for.

You may argue that this comparison isn't fair, because Shadow and Sonic don't have the exact same textures. However, a good friend of mine - @ Aghanim Aghanim - actually did attempt to work on Shadow awhile ago before being preoccupied with other projects. Here is his work.
Note how you can see the shading here. The lighting on the muzzle is evenly distributed, without one light bright part. It's not terribly saturated, or at least not as much as your texture. It's not perfect, for Aghanim was unable to continue work on Shadow, but even now his quality is much closer to Smash 3 than your work was.
Can i used Aghanims as a base?

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
That's something you'd have to ask Agahnim, although I wouldn't be surprised if he fully intends to finish Shadow one day himself. To get his attention, write his name in a post with the "@" symbol in front of it (ex. @UserNameHere), or you can private message him with the little envelope icon at the top right corner of SmashBoard's page.

However, I wouldn't use anything as a base except for the original model's textures. As for what to do with those textures, please try to follow the steps here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj69gfohvf9xcz1/Smash 3 Texture Tutorial.pdf?dl=0.
The above link is a texture tutorial written by Taiko of the Smash 3 Team, and while the tutorial is directed towards Adobe PhotoShop users, every step there can be used in GIMP as well. I myself use that program, because I'm not made of money and can't afford a monthly or annual membership to an Adobe account. (Have you seen the prices of Amiibo these days? I have to have my priorities straight!) If you have any questions or confusion, please don't hesitate to private message me.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Agahnim.png I was starting to get frustated with my own work, its the shadows, so i used agrahiams and i say, i made it look kinda better, some tweaks and fixes there.

Aghanim

Smash Apprentice
even if I have been so busy with work and some other stuff I will eventually finish him someday (that's why I started to smash3fy him) so that's a no. Btw all I did was to mess up a bit with smash3 sonic textures and shadow ones, it was literally a 5 mins work with gimp... If you are good enough I believe you could be able to do the textures urself and not to use mines. Also I saw on the vault that you had an orange falco recolor and you didn't credit or even tought of crediting the original makers of him, layell and ledgerewkie. I don't really want my stuff to be stolen too

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
To those attempting pichu be aware that I updated the goggles so that the shadows match up better. Please note that the Goggles on Pichu are textured differently than Pikachu. If any one can import the Goggles from Pikachu on to Pichu and have them work, that will greatly improve the quality of the Smash 3-ification.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06d1rl0jef8v061/Pichu.rar?dl=0

Now this is the last update on pichu...

Edit: fixed some texture glitches, re-download for fixes

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Pichu also uses Melee Fox scarf which I've already done, and the green/blue costume use Ness' backpack. A lot of the costume pieces are already from Pikachu too.

So yeah with all those assets from stuff already done, Pichu is a really really easy thing to make into Smash 3.

Also a small update for what I've done:

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Pichu also uses Melee Fox scarf which I've already done, and the green/blue costume use Ness' backpack. A lot of the costume pieces are already from Pikachu too.

So yeah with all those assets from stuff already done, Pichu is a really really easy thing to make into Smash 3.

That marth tho... This only makes me more hyped for marth's update in Smash 3. :)

Also thank you for attempting pichu, I just don't have the right skills at the moment as I don't know how to do the eyes in the Smash 3 style. (By the way, the 7th .pac is for the obligatory shiny recolor and be sure to re-download the file since I fixed any texture glitches that Goggles pichu may've had...)

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike

I was thinking about wanting to post the Smash 3-inspired Brawl model Marth I finished a few weeks ago, but this... this is what I wanted to achieve when I made my attempt. I can't wait until it's ready, he looks great!

Emélie De Rochèfort

Smash Rookie
Marth looks fabulous and Dry Bowser looks astonishing. You guys do such a great job that I can not help but feel jealous of your skills. I cannot wait to see both projects complete! I hope I am not bothering you guys,I can not help myself. Those compliments need to be said.

Hmm.. Interesting. A teaser for Smash 3 Snake huh? If you take a closer look you can see his nose! Wonder how he will look like considering he is a real human and not an Anime character like Marth for example. However,I do not know the purpose of uploading this to the thread. Is this is a way of saying that the complete version of The Smash 3 Project is coming really soon or just a showcase of how the box in which Solid Snake hides in will look like? The comment is pretty suspicious indeed,If you ask me...

Last edited:

Layell

Smash Journeyman
Obviously custom boxes are the future of S3C.

also to add some more:

I was thinking about wanting to post the Smash 3-inspired Brawl model Marth I finished a few weeks ago, but this... this is what I wanted to achieve when I made my attempt. I can't wait until it's ready, he looks great!
Glad you like it, I realized I had gotten to a point where I could faithfully create Brawl Marth, and with all those spare Sigurd slots now seemed as good a time as any! He'll be out when he's ready but for now I have another little preview. My colour slots are the 6 PM colours (with purple served with some slight cyan/silver blue to function as a blue costume), but I have never been happy with the Brawl red costume so I also made this:

It's much more red and also matches red Roy, one of my favourite team costumes, but on the advice of a certain S3C team member it ended up being based on Marth's wife Caeda's original outfit: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...rtwork).png/revision/latest?cb=20140119075753

It also shows a few things I took on for Brawl Marth that wasn't outright stolen from S3 Marth/Roy. Namely Marth's design on the gold trim and vest, and some better look at the glove. While Mach5Mike's Marth was servicable it was those small things that were from the Brawl model directly that made me want to take my own jab at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom