• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3C Project - PM alts, recolors, and more!

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Lel, this dragged me out of the shadows.

Speaking of which, Shadow huh? I predicted it, being that it is the most requested character my friends ask to be s3-ified months ago...

Those who follow my thread saw this already.

Im looking fowards into seeing and trying out the finished products.

*returns to the shadows*
Lel

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Okay, remember what I said about pichu, well I got it rim-lit so go crazy with the Smash3-ifying. Note that the 8th pac file is saved for the obligatory shiny pichu skin...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/06d1rl0jef8v061/Pichu.rar?dl=0

Edit: Going in game, the goggles costume is messed up, will try other costumes.
Edit 2: Spiky Earded pichu does not show up at all, crashes training mode.
So out of the 8, 03 and 07 do not play nice... Will redo 03, but for 07, nothing can be done at that point. X(
Edit 3: Costume 3 is fixed! :D

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
It wont be released on the vault till i get some CSPs and BPs. I would love if anybody would do that, all i need is shadow is smash 3 sonic pose and im good to go.

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
It wont be released on the vault till i get some CSPs and BPs. I would love if anybody would do that, all i need is shadow is smash 3 sonic pose and im good to go.
I would recomenend giving Shadow a different pose or maybe both! But Amazing job on the model I'm definently replacing my old one

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Does the Smash 3 Sonic use the generations model?
Yes, it does to an extent. However, before this can be added into Project M/ Brawl and be used optimally, it needs to be rigged and the poly count fixed up. As nice as it looks, Brawl can only take so much. That is a rule followed by all of Sonic's current Smash 3 costumes, and thus they can't quite meet the levels of Sanic featured here.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
For rigging and importing the model, just replace the head with the generations head, make the quills not move and adjust the size of the head and such but make sure to give expressions!

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
If it were only that simple. I don't know much about model importing, but I thought I would do that black Smash 3 Sonic with the shoes. Just replace the S3 Sonic shoes with the PM shadow shoes. Simple enough. I got like 300 errors. It seems there is a lot more work done behind the scenes.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Perhaps, how bout we try to make the shoes to look like the shoes.
If you're implying that we should retexture Sonic's shoes to look like Shadow's, you should know that the Smash 3 Team already did that. But it wasn't a bad idea. Just one already done.
If you're considering that we mold Sonic's shoes to look like Shadow's by altering its vertices, than I would say that that sounds a bit unnecessary.
I think I may be able to replace Sonic's shoes with the shoes on Shadow's Sonic Generations model, but only once I am done with the other models I am currently working on.
Also, I believe you have yet to apply rimlighting to Shadow the Hedgehog's model. It is not on par with Smash 3 without it. Because the goal of Smash 3C is to replicate Smash 3, I would suggest you consult Edel's Rimlighting Tutorial in the following link: http://smashboards.com/threads/scouts-smash-3-rimlight-tutorial.370374/
You have the potential to produce something great if you gave just a little more effort. This goes for anyone who happens to read this. I myself have yet to release Dry Bowser for exactly that reason. I don't think it's of the upmost quality it can be. (Plus Giga Bowser is a pain in the a**.)

Last edited:

ledgerewskie

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps, how bout we try to make the shoes to look like the shoes.
Take the shoes from my shadow, thatll work.
You're not making any sense when you post like this. They are single, short sentences, and no one knows what you're referring to or trying to say. "How about we make the shoes look like the shoes?" is about as nonsensical as I can imagine a sentence being.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
You're not making any sense when you post like this. They are single, short sentences, and no one knows what you're referring to or trying to say. "How about we make the shoes look like the shoes?" is about as nonsensical as I can imagine a sentence being.
The shadow thats smash 3c styled, im telling him to take the shoes so he can import it and stuff.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Now if anybody would make a banner for the costumes, that be nice. If the banner is made, ill upload the costumes on the vault.

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Now if anybody would make a banner for the costumes, that be nice. If the banner is made, ill upload the costumes on the vault.
Can you please try to organize your thoughts more before posting, the amount of double/triple posts you have made on this page alone is staggering. It's considered bad forum etiquette to post multiple things with no posts in between, even Taiko would most likely get crap from people if he did that on the main Smash 3 thread. I'm not saying don't post, just either edit preexisting posts, wait to post, or don't post tons of single sentences in quick succession. One more thing, try to be slightly more professional (I'm not saying don't have any fun, but naming a download "orogonl da heghug DONUT STEEL" doesn't scream respect and professionalism to me), if this thread wants to have any amount of the respect the main Smash 3 thread one has every content creator here needs to be professional within reason. I do respect you as a content creator, but that can change. Rant at you over.

To the thread as a whole. If this wants to really take off, we need co-ordination. Edel said back on page 2: "You guys must work as a team." Simple, yet true. There has been little co-operation recently. We need banner creators, dedicated CSP makers (see if Codex will help out, his CSPs are some of the highest quality I've ever seen); we need content creators to co-ordinate behind the scenes with Private messages, Skype or something along those lines. Check with other people in this project to make sure there no issues with quality and that everything works in game. If something is low quality don't let it go by, or eventually we will need a thread to make better versions of this thread's work.

This is community thread, that is true, but imagine what the Smash 3 Project or even Project M itself would be like with the standards we have for this thread. I respect every one of you but this needs to be said and heard. If you listen to me great, we can move on and we can march to a new standard of quality for all brawl mods (that might be wishful thinking, but I feel as though Project M and the Smash 3 team already set a new standard.); if this post is ignored, if no one reads this and takes anything from it, then I feel this project will get no where at all. If you read this monster of a post please reply. I don't care if you agree, a like is not enough, if you disagree ignoring me won't help either. (I posted my thoughts about a different matter and when I got no replies, I just wanted to leave the scene for a while) If there is no talk or discussion; there will be no change. I think that's about it for now, I'll be checking in for replies, I really do want to check in with you guys, let's work together for a better community project.

On a more personal closing note: ask me for help if you need it, if you need to test something in-game, PM me; if you want to make sure something's just right before revealing it, PM me. You need just general modding advice, PM me, I'll try to help. I am more than happy to help in basically any way I can (anything that isn't content creation, I suck at anything that isn't recolors.) This goes for the main Smash 3 team as well, I'll help in any way possible you guys have my utmost respect (I know you guys have each other, but if you need a beta tester, ask me, I've helped Scout before)

PS: (This is the longest thing I have ever typed on a forum and it shows. If you'll excuse I'm going to rest my hands for a bit.)

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
So, I took a look at your Sonics. They still need some work.
The first thing I looked at was the CSP folder. Those are a bit of a mess, really. Especially the Mars one. Try setting your red layer to "color" or "hue" or something, rather than just a flat red. Additionally, none of the BPs matched the CSPs. They should probably match.

Next up:

This is the Maritime one, but this was also present with Minty. Mars looked fine, though. When you save the files in Brawlbox, you need to save as .pair. What you currently have here is a proper .pcs, and a .pcs pretending to be a .pac.

Now, on the the actual textures... The eye textures in all three of them were using a different base than the Smash 3 ones. They should probably use the Smash 3 ones as a base. The socks on Mars were flat colors. Try recoloring the original texture to have the black and yellow stripes, rather than just making them completely flat. The sphere textures on all three are not based on the Smash 3 texture. Again, I would recommend recoloring theirs to suit your purposes. The shoes on Minty are not using Smash 3 textures.

Additionally, several of your recolored textures had some compression on them. Now, that sometimes just happens when you recolor things, it's just the nature of the universe. I actually only learned a good way to fix that a few days, thanks to Ledge helping me out. Are you using Gimp, or Photoshop?

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Im using gimp. And i will do the eye and sphere tomarrow, i tried on the CSPs, i wasnt gonna ask for help with them, because everytime i ask, nobody helps.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Indeed, we actually do have a Skype chat and have had one for a while, with a few people who have been pretty active contributors of good quality. We've been talking about the issue of standards quite a bit recently, actually.
Basically, what we're currently looking at doing, is making it so that anyone can make something and post it here in the thread (with screenshots, please, people!), and if we think it's good enough, we'll add it to the OP and stuff. If we think it needs more work, we'll try to provide constructive criticism, and if the maker (or someone else, if they want) fixes those issues, then great! OP time! If the issues are not fixed, it won't be listed on the OP.
Our standards for submissions won't be quite as high as what's coming in Smash 3 with its next update (it's pretty exciting stuff), Taiko's setting that bar impressively high. Hopefully someday we can get everything up to that level, but we don't expect everyone to be capable of some of that stuff. But we definitely do need to hold things to a certain standard.
Regarding Codex doing CSPs... He does indeed do great work, but he's a busy man, so I'd prefer not to bug him too much about stuff.
Banners are definitely something we should definitely work on more. Because of the font we (and Smash 3) use, it's hard for people to make the banners themselves... I think maybe we could post our templates and ask that people do as much of the banner as they can, and if they don't have the proper font, then one of us can do the font for them. That sounds good to me, I think.

Im using gimp. And i will do the eye and sphere tomarrow, i tried on the CSPs, i wasnt gonna ask for help with them, because everytime i ask, nobody helps.
Excellent, because the way I know to fix compression issues is a Gimp method. If you were using Photoshop, I would not know how to help.

Al right, so you'll want to download this: http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml
Once it's installed, load Gimp back up, and select the parts of the textures that were altered. Go to filters, and at the very bottom of the list you'll see G'MIC. Click that, and you'll be presented with a mildly intimidating box of crazy options. Under available filters, click the + next to Repair. Scroll down and find "Smooth (anisotropic). Now, the settings can vary a bit from texture to texture, but Ledge recommended to me to generally set amplitude to 40, sharpness to 1.4, and tensor smoothness to... 3.6, I think he said. For some textures, you might need to mess with the sharpness a bit. Play around with things until you find something that works well. Hit apply, then hit ok. You can hit ctrl-z and ctrl-y to get a better before and after look, and if the compression's gone without removing detail, then great, mission accomplished! If not, try tweaking the sharpness again.

Regarding the CSPs, recoloring them can be as easy as recoloring the actual textures. Just use layer modes properly, and you can get it working, I'm sure. Make sure your edits to the CSP and BP match. Or, often, you can even just crop the CSP to get the BP.

Last edited:

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
Excellent, because the way I know to fix compression issues is a Gimp method. If you were using Photoshop, I would not know how to help.

Al right, so you'll want to download this: http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml
Once it's installed, load Gimp back up, and select the parts of the textures that were altered. Go to filters, and at the very bottom of the list you'll see G'MIC. Click that, and you'll be presented with a mildly intimidating box of crazy options. Under available filters, click the + next to Repair. Scroll down and find "Smooth (anisotropic). Now, the settings can vary a bit from texture to texture, but Ledge recommended to me to generally set amplitude to 40, sharpness to 1.4, and tensor smoothness to... 3.6, I think he said. For some textures, you might need to mess with the sharpness a bit. Play around with things until you find something that works well. Hit apply, then hit ok. You can hit ctrl-z and ctrl-y to get a better before and after look, and if the compression's gone without removing detail, then great, mission accomplished! If not, try tweaking the sharpness again.

Regarding the CSPs, recoloring them can be as easy as recoloring the actual textures. Just use layer modes properly, and you can get it working, I'm sure. Make sure your edits to the CSP and BP match. Or, often, you can even just crop the CSP to get the BP.
Thanks man! Now, what length and height does the CSP need to be cropped?

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man! Now, what length and height does the CSP need to be cropped?
To make a BP? Just take one of the official S3 Sonic BP, put it over a new Sonic CSP in Gimp, line them up, box select the outline of the BP, crop or canvas size to selection, and hide the BP. Export it, and you've got a new matching BP. I've sometimes seen BPs be scaled a bit differently than the CSPs, though, and in those cases, this method doesn't really work so well. I don't know if that's the case here or not, though.

ProjectBrawl7

Smash Ace
To make a BP? Just take one of the official S3 Sonic BP, put it over a new Sonic CSP in Gimp, line them up, box select the outline of the BP, crop or canvas size to selection, and hide the BP. Export it, and you've got a new matching BP. I've sometimes seen BPs be scaled a bit differently than the CSPs, though, and in those cases, this method doesn't really work so well. I don't know if that's the case here or not, though.
Might sound lazy but can you work on the CSP and BP instead?

Top Bottom