• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antonio Garcia

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna have to shoot down Ridley before it gets more out of hand haha. It's a test render, nothing's working ingame.

It's been done. I do have to agree that it is a bit of a personal choice, so we'll just use the Brawl Sonic voice for now. The individual download will still contain it as an option, however.

If we were to include the HUD (Non gradient number, centered timer) in the pack, would you guys be okay with that? Because I remember some people saying how they didn't want the menu assets changed, so I'd rather be sure before we make a ton of people unhappy.
Will link be worked on again?

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Seeing that Ridley PSA video, followed by a Smash 3 render mock up is to much for my heart to withstand.... PMDT plz gib professional ridly plz.... :c

On a more serious note: My condolences to you Scout. I wish the best to you regarding your recovery, and a sizable thank you for your work on these textures:bee:. Get back to this thread when you're ready to do so, as it won't be quite the same 'til I can see the lot of you in this little crevice of the boards.

soopercool101

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to shoot down Ridley before it gets more out of hand haha. It's a test render, nothing's working ingame.

It's been done. I do have to agree that it is a bit of a personal choice, so we'll just use the Brawl Sonic voice for now. The individual download will still contain it as an option, however.
Personally, I like the new voice. I do have a question about it though: When P:M 3.5 inevitably comes out, will you update the FitSonic and FitSonicMotionEtc in the optional motion trail and SFX folders?

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
I think there's an issue with Sonic's eyes, I was playing PM and noticed that, in some stages his eyes change color.

P.E. In Halberd, before the ship takes off, his eyes turn black, and once the ship leaves the hangar and the platform flies around, they turn light blue, when Sonic respawns, his eyes get back to normal, but after a few seconds, they glitch.

In Castle Siege, sometimes turn blue like in Halberd, but when the stage changes, they turn yellow in the volcano background.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
I think there's an issue with Sonic's eyes, I was playing PM and noticed that, in some stages his eyes change color.

P.E. In Halberd, before the ship takes off, his eyes turn black, and once the ship leaves the hangar and the platform flies around, they turn light blue, when Sonic respawns, his eyes get back to normal, but after a few seconds, they glitch.

In Castle Siege, sometimes turn blue like in Halberd, but when the stage changes, they turn yellow in the volcano background.
Did you download the recent fix? they updated it to not do that i think.

Btw, I JUST HEARD THE SONIC VOICE MOD! YES OMG YES! ALL OF MY YES! 20/10 this project!

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Hello Smash 3 Team, I haven't left a message here in quite a while (mostly because unlike in real life, I am quiet on the internet), I will be sad to see you guys go and I will miss having you guys in the hacking community, you definitely made the quality standard higher. I really love the latest releases, and though I wish the alt costumes could be done, I fully understand your reasons.

I have recently gotten into recoloring costumes, I am... alright at it, I mean they aren't terrible (I have improved from where I started, when I just used the hue/saturation tool) any tips on how I should make better recolors?

I have a few questions though, some of you have alluded that you will not in fact be stopping once you get everyone done, is this just wishful thinking on my part? How long do you think this will take to finish everyone else? Shun are you still planning on leaving on October 3rd? If so It'll will really suck to see you gone, I still use costumes from the your old burnt down House of Pancakes. And Scout don't sweat it, everyone gets angry at times, especially when comes to the things that you put a lot of effort into are involved, I sincerely hope you get better soon, you have made some great stages and costumes.

Finally I really appreciate everything you guys have done, thanks for everything guys and I really can't wait for more. (This is officially the longest thing I have ever posted in a forum.)

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
To help you with the question on recolors, Shun_one posted a site that might help with choosing palettes a good while ago.\
:linkmelee::http://paletton.com/#uid=1000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

As for the question on saturation...that's a tough inquiry to answer, as it really depends on variables such as character, reference to the color intensity used within their own game, amount of realism wanted etc. My best tip is to start quite light in the intensity, and gradually raise it between ingame tests. In the case of recolors, it's probably best to just put your costumes side by side to others to see if it's consistent with the intensity of the other costumes. This isn't the only method you might try, but it's suited me well.

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty helpful actually, thanks, but I also need help in selecting parts of the CSP and the textures themselves so I can recolor those parts, most notably( at least from the characters I've tried) Pikachu's cheeks and Kirby's blush. God I need Photoshop, it would probably help a lot.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I know you guys are probably busy with the rest of the roster (and probably redoing psa's for snake), but I have one small request. Since you guys have already perfected ganondorf, I was wondering if any of you who're developing this mod could import your shaders over a triforce ganondorf model (the standard one only, no melee ganon or demise). If any of you are up for this, i'll add a link to the necessary .brres file in question.

Also Fox's eye problem in Delfino has re-manifested in Falco, just FYI...

Last edited:

theTRUEchamp

Smash Apprentice
Will each character be getting alts that resemble their new Sm4sh costumes? I see that this has already been done for Fox, Falco and Sonic and I think that it would be a cool thing to do.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Aww, you're no fun.

Will each character be getting alts that resemble their new Sm4sh costumes? I see that this has already been done for Fox, Falco and Sonic and I think that it would be a cool thing to do.
Keep in mind that while we do draw much inspiration from Smash 4 we take creative liberties into our own hands. Some characters may receive design changes that are either a mix of designs (Ganondorf) or closer to their source (Mario). Some may be a bit extra be it recolors (still yet to see anyone to figure out blue Fox and second green Falco) or straight up model edits like Sonic. If we see an opportunity to add something cool and it fits within our project, we'll throw down the gauntlet and say "challenge accepted!"

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Aww, you're no fun.

Keep in mind that while we do draw much inspiration from Smash 4 we take creative liberties into our own hands. Some characters may receive design changes that are either a mix of designs (Ganondorf) or closer to their source (Mario). Some may be a bit extra be it recolors (still yet to see anyone to figure out blue Fox and second green Falco) or straight up model edits like Sonic. If we see an opportunity to add something cool and it fits within our project, we'll throw down the gauntlet and say "challenge accepted!"
Your palette swaps are wonderful, be it based off of Smash 4 or your own unique stuff. But while we're on the subject, is it remotely possible we could see Fierce Deity Link in a future update? I understand if the answer is no: he'd be a complicated palette to work on. Just curious.

Juken

Smash Ace
Will there ever be a possibility of the Brawl recolors for Smash 4 Falco? I personally liked many of the Brawl colors, especially his black and brown/baby blue color over his Smash 4 one.

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
WALUIGI GONNA WIN!
edit: Will upload to brawlvault if someone gives me ingame screenies. I can't due to not having access to dolphin and I don't know how to port screenies from wii to computer.

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
WALUIGI GONNA WIN!
edit: Will upload to brawlvault if someone gives me ingame screenies. I can't due to not having access to dolphin and I don't know how to port screenies from wii to computer.
download this
then copy the .bin files from your sd card, which are the snapshots you'll be taking from the game, that will be saves in SD CARD:/projectm/AL/
paste them in the same folder that you installed the program, and run the program, it'll start to convert the files to .JPG

Damonj17

Smash Apprentice
download this
then copy the .bin files from your sd card, which are the snapshots you'll be taking from the game, that will be saves in SD CARD:/projectm/AL/
paste them in the same folder that you installed the program, and run the program, it'll start to convert the files to .JPG
Thanks! Uploading Luigi Mario now...

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
It's time, the fearsome beast no one truly promised. Here he is!

Yup, not really an update just some render practice. Still looks cool though, and it's nice to show off some things in between updates.

Last edited:

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
The recolors look very unique! What inspiration did you guys get to make such awesome recolors?

Those renders look beautiful! can't wait to see some upcoming renders!

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
We had to dig really deep for inspiration. For example, Ridley's father for the red team, representing the anger and frustration of Ridley not taking up the family business and instead spending his life trying to get into Smash Bros. We also have Ridley's mother for the blue team, a nice contrast with a soothing and more serene attitude. We also have Ridley's step-brother, Rodley, as the inspiration for the green team, an example of what happens when somebody loses control of themselves and becomes an alcoholic and drug addict.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
It's time, the fearsome beast no one truly promised. Here he is!

Yup, not really an update just some render practice. Still looks cool though, and it's nice to show off some things in between updates.
Oh god no my sides Bwahaha I am a supporter of Ridley but by god that picture "You thought it was me Ridley" Oh god HAhah XD

Taiko

Smash Ace
The king that you've always wanted! Who is not a Dedede. Or a Ridley.

Giga Bowser is included as well, and P:M people (probably all of you here) will get fancy Giga Bowser recolours as well.

In addition, we've gone ahead and fixed the Delfino bug for both Falco and Wario. Enjoy!

Your palette swaps are wonderful, be it based off of Smash 4 or your own unique stuff. But while we're on the subject, is it remotely possible we could see Fierce Deity Link in a future update? I understand if the answer is no: he'd be a complicated palette to work on. Just curious.
I wouldn't count it out.

Will there ever be a possibility of the Brawl recolors for Smash 4 Falco? I personally liked many of the Brawl colors, especially his black and brown/baby blue color over his Smash 4 one.
Most likely not, we find the Smash 4 ones to just be much more visually interesting. His Brawl Blue is already included in the pack though, in Melee Falco's blue slot.

Are you still releasing source PSD's for all the characters?
Possibly, it's been bumped down in priority due to overdrive mode being active.

The recolors look very unique! What inspiration did you guys get to make such awesome recolors?
We've been staring at the P:M menu for far too long, so purple is now etched into our retinas.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
THE KIND OF DREAMLAND

OH MY GODO IBET KIRBY ATE KING DEDEDE AND IS THE KING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taiko

TAIKO WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Wow. That Bowser looks better than Smash 4 Bowser! really good work.
We've been staring at the P:M menu for far too long, so purple is now etched into our retinas.
We had to dig really deep for inspiration. For example, Ridley's father for the red team, representing the anger and frustration of Ridley not taking up the family business and instead spending his life trying to get into Smash Bros. We also have Ridley's mother for the blue team, a nice contrast with a soothing and more serene attitude. We also have Ridley's step-brother, Rodley, as the inspiration for the green team, an example of what happens when somebody loses control of themselves and becomes an alcoholic and drug addict.
You guys are the greatest.

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Hello Smash 3 Team, I haven't left a message here in quite a while (mostly because unlike in real life, I am quiet on the internet), I will be sad to see you guys go and I will miss having you guys in the hacking community, you definitely made the quality standard higher. I really love the latest releases, and though I wish the alt costumes could be done, I fully understand your reasons.

I have recently gotten into recoloring costumes, I am... alright at it, I mean they aren't terrible (I have improved from where I started, when I just used the hue/saturation tool) any tips on how I should make better recolors?

I have a few questions though, some of you have alluded that you will not in fact be stopping once you get everyone done, is this just wishful thinking on my part? How long do you think this will take to finish everyone else? Shun are you still planning on leaving on October 3rd? If so It'll will really suck to see you gone, I still use costumes from the your old burnt down House of Pancakes. And Scout don't sweat it, everyone gets angry at times, especially when comes to the things that you put a lot of effort into are involved, I sincerely hope you get better soon, you have made some great stages and costumes.

Finally I really appreciate everything you guys have done, thanks for everything guys and I really can't wait for more. (This is officially the longest thing I have ever posted in a forum.)
I forgot to reply to this because of the Ridley stuff, sorry!

First, thanks for the support! And thanks for understanding why we can't get to the costumes, hopefully the recolours we put in place are a worthy substitute.

For recolours, it's mainly a sense of what works with what, and being careful not to saturate things too far, and keeping the colours believable for the character. Shun actually wrote up a short blog post detailing what went into the new Green Ganondorf, so hopefully this can give some inspiration. We actually tried a more golden "Dio-dorf" costume originally, but that was shot down pretty quicly because of how the colours didn't really fit Ganondorf. We actually go through a lot of renditions of our colour schemes before we settle on a final, so even if you don't get it right the first time, try again!

I can't offer much advice other than that because it's really mostly sense, so you'll just keep going at it and you'll get better as you go (this applies to everything!). Aside from that, practice your masking to make sure the right areas are properly coloured, and that's about it.

Some of us have said we'd maybe stick around, but me and Shun personally are done when this project is done. We want to leave with the best content we can, so we're working hard to finish all that we can with our quality standard. I'll probably drop by every now and then, but I don't think I'll continue to contribute.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I forgot to reply to this because of the Ridley stuff, sorry!

First, thanks for the support! And thanks for understanding why we can't get to the costumes, hopefully the recolours we put in place are a worthy substitute.

For recolours, it's mainly a sense of what works with what, and being careful not to saturate things too far, and keeping the colours believable for the character. Shun actually wrote up a short blog post detailing what went into the new Green Ganondorf, so hopefully this can give some inspiration. We actually tried a more golden "Dio-dorf" costume originally, but that was shot down pretty quicly because of how the colours didn't really fit Ganondorf. We actually go through a lot of renditions of our colour schemes before we settle on a final, so even if you don't get it right the first time, try again!

I can't offer much advice other than that because it's really mostly sense, so you'll just keep going at it and you'll get better as you go (this applies to everything!). Aside from that, practice your masking to make sure the right areas are properly coloured, and that's about it.

Some of us have said we'd maybe stick around, but me and Shun personally are done when this project is done. We want to leave with the best content we can, so we're working hard to finish all that we can with our quality standard. I'll probably drop by every now and then, but I don't think I'll continue to contribute.
Dear lord the thought of "dio-dorf" made me laugh so hard. If anything, give one of the fire emblem characters a Dio outfit, that'll be hysterical!

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
Thanks guys for wishing me the best.

Honestly, being a lurker sucks.

But I think it is necessary to say that I'm fine and thanks, rather than just silently read and let doubt flow on.
So um, I'm fine and thanks for supporting me on this, I never felt that way before, and I'm slowly learning so I can manage it better.
... I got nothing else to say honestly, other than a huge thanks.
I'll return to my dark and cold corner now.

I never posted! And enjoy the new and improved Bowser!

Last edited:

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks for giving me some advice, I will definitely keep it in mind. Bowser looks great by the way guys, are there any palette origins for the new Bowser. Is there any help I could get in isolating certain parts of the textures so I can recolor them? Or will using Photoshop on the PSDs help with that? By the way I didn't mention this last time but the new HUD is amazing. Looking forward to Wolf, Snake (even though he's going to be last isn't he?), and the DK's, and I can't wait for the remaining Pokemon. Keep working guys, I definitely appreciate the overdrive mode you have guys have been in.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Aw man, This is amazing! I can't believe I hadn't noticed this before!

I'm gonna download just the textures for my mains, so people playing
against me will feel dull and lame compared to my brightly-colored fabulousness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom