• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
That Bowser is looking...as the kids may refer to it as..."totally ill". :3
Good work on this, that one of my favorite custom bowser models and the texture just takes it to maximum eye candy intensity. :D

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Heyooooooo, Just noticed that one of the smash 3 members joined the Smashboards crew!
Welcome to the Smashboards community iwantgames! glad you could join us!

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
The king that you've always wanted! Who is not a Dedede. Or a Ridley.

Giga Bowser is included as well, and P:M people (probably all of you here) will get fancy Giga Bowser recolours as well.

In addition, we've gone ahead and fixed the Delfino bug for both Falco and Wario. Enjoy!

I wouldn't count it out.

Most likely not, we find the Smash 4 ones to just be much more visually interesting. His Brawl Blue is already included in the pack though, in Melee Falco's blue slot.

Possibly, it's been bumped down in priority due to overdrive mode being active.

We've been staring at the P:M menu for far too long, so purple is now etched into our retinas.
I love how its inspired by Sm4sh Bowser. It looks awesome.

ElGoombaswag

Hououin Kyoma
NNID
cdoggfuentes
The king that you've always wanted! Who is not a Dedede. Or a Ridley.

Giga Bowser is included as well, and P:M people (probably all of you here) will get fancy Giga Bowser recolours as well.

In addition, we've gone ahead and fixed the Delfino bug for both Falco and Wario. Enjoy!

I wouldn't count it out.

Most likely not, we find the Smash 4 ones to just be much more visually interesting. His Brawl Blue is already included in the pack though, in Melee Falco's blue slot.

Possibly, it's been bumped down in priority due to overdrive mode being active.

We've been staring at the P:M menu for far too long, so purple is now etched into our retinas.
Can I see pictures of Giga Bowser please?

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I forgot to reply to this because of the Ridley stuff, sorry!

First, thanks for the support! And thanks for understanding why we can't get to the costumes, hopefully the recolours we put in place are a worthy substitute.

For recolours, it's mainly a sense of what works with what, and being careful not to saturate things too far, and keeping the colours believable for the character. Shun actually wrote up a short blog post detailing what went into the new Green Ganondorf, so hopefully this can give some inspiration. We actually tried a more golden "Dio-dorf" costume originally, but that was shot down pretty quicly because of how the colours didn't really fit Ganondorf. We actually go through a lot of renditions of our colour schemes before we settle on a final, so even if you don't get it right the first time, try again!

I can't offer much advice other than that because it's really mostly sense, so you'll just keep going at it and you'll get better as you go (this applies to everything!). Aside from that, practice your masking to make sure the right areas are properly coloured, and that's about it.

Some of us have said we'd maybe stick around, but me and Shun personally are done when this project is done. We want to leave with the best content we can, so we're working hard to finish all that we can with our quality standard. I'll probably drop by every now and then, but I don't think I'll continue to contribute.
A while back I saw that someone on Brawl Vault made a bunch of Luigi palette swaps specifically for Smash 3. He made a White Tanooki Luigi (or kitsune, in this case), with Luigi wearing a white shirt, a yellow cap, and yellow overalls. He also made Ice Luigi, and Flying Luigi, but what really caught my eye was that he brought your textures over to Mr. L and Doctor Luigi.

I thought they were very impressive, and so I was inspired to take on Project M's custom skins myself. So far, I've only successfully applied your textures to Virtual Boy R.O.B. (I would post pictures if I had them; maybe later). I basically just took your crimson textures for your red R.O.B. palette swap and applied them to Project M's VB R.O.B. I also adjusted the saturation for the textures of R.O.B.'s VB head so that they didn't look dull in contrast with his body. It came out very well. I actually like his red body better than his original black one. I've also went through Dry Bowser, but I have not tested to see how he looks in game.

But anyways, I only noticed an issue when I was trying to apply your textures to Concept Art Meta Knight, as well as a Galacta Knight I found on Brawl Vault. The textures themselves transferred well, but your unique lighting did not. When I looked at Meta Knight's blue body, I noticed a very fine, reflective texture to it that was not on Galacta Knight's pink body or Concept Art Meta Knight's black body.

I would like to figure out a way to transfer these values, so is it too much to ask what within the files causes these beautiful contrasts in lighting? I found a texture simply labeled "Edge", and while that is in all of the Smash 3 files it is not in the Project M textures. Is that how you get such nice lighting? If so I have no way of bringing that over to the Project M skins because there is nothing within those texture files for me to place it. Do you know of any way to create original texture files?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
A while back I saw that someone on Brawl Vault made a bunch of Luigi palette swaps specifically for Smash 3. He made a White Tanooki Luigi (or kitsune, in this case), with Luigi wearing a white shirt, a yellow cap, and yellow overalls. He also made Ice Luigi, and Flying Luigi, but what really caught my eye was that he brought your textures over to Mr. L and Doctor Luigi.

I thought they were very impressive, and so I was inspired to take on Project M's custom skins myself. So far, I've only successfully applied your textures to Virtual Boy R.O.B. (I would post pictures if I had them; maybe later). I basically just took your crimson textures for your red R.O.B. palette swap and applied them to Project M's VB R.O.B. I also adjusted the saturation for the textures of R.O.B.'s VB head so that they didn't look dull in contrast with his body. It came out very well. I actually like his red body better than his original black one. I've also went through Dry Bowser, but I have not tested to see how he looks in game.

But anyways, I only noticed an issue when I was trying to apply your textures to Concept Art Meta Knight, as well as a Galacta Knight I found on Brawl Vault. The textures themselves transferred well, but your unique lighting did not. When I looked at Meta Knight's blue body, I noticed a very fine, reflective texture to it that was not on Galacta Knight's pink body or Concept Art Meta Knight's black body.

I would like to figure out a way to transfer these values, so is it too much to ask what within the files causes these beautiful contrasts in lighting? I found a texture simply labeled "Edge", and while that is in all of the Smash 3 files it is not in the Project M textures. Is that how you get such nice lighting? If so I have no way of bringing that over to the Project M skins because there is nothing within those texture files for me to place it. Do you know of any way to create original texture files?

You know, as long if it is helpful in anyways, I'll answer cuz I really want to help everyone. I can't help it.

That my friend is called rimlight. Its what I do to the smash 3 models to give a small yet noticeable light to it. It requires to modify model itself, so the model is the one that changes, not the textures themselves.

I just started writing my smash 3 rimlight method right now! So stick around for it everyone!

The character I'm gonna rimlight first is Unmasked Lucas alt. Since the traditional method of rimlight causes the most glitch to this model than the rest.

The tutorial will be composed of pictures and small text explaining why. And a FAQ will be constantly updated as long as you fellas wish. It will be available both in SB and KCMM for preference. And if anyone gets the skill, a video will be appreciated.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
You know, as long if it is helpful in anyways, I'll answer cuz I really want to help everyone. I can't help it.

That my friend is called rimlight. Its what I do to the smash 3 models to give a small yet noticeable light to it. It requires to modify model itself, so the model is the one that changes, not the textures themselves.

I just started writing my smash 3 rimlight method right now! So stick around for it everyone!

The character I'm gonna rimlight first is Unmasked Lucas alt. Since the traditional method of rimlight causes the most glitch to this model than the rest.

The tutorial will be composed of pictures and small text explaining why. And a FAQ will be constantly updated as long as you fellas wish. It will be available both in SB and KCMM for preference. And if anyone gets the skill, a video will be appreciated.
This is awesome, as I was hoping to ask you for something like this when you "officially" came back to the thread lol. Didn't want to bother you for it before hand but you've already started to work on one.

I've watched and used Mewtwo2000's rimlight methods before but it hasn't always turned out the way I wanted it too. Your rimlighting is much more subtle and a whole lot nicer on the eyes. It doesn't help that you say you prefer to do all the work in BB which is extremely enticing to me since I'd prefer to work with what I'm already comfortable with.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace

Please, teach us more master Edel...

Good God the amount of likes this is getting, the Edel Hype is REAL!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Axonn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Axonn1018
3DS FC
3454-1237-0469
That Bowser looks absolutely amazing!

Looking forward to it when it's completed.

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
if it isn't too much trouble for you guys, i'd love to know what you all have planned for salad snack. i need something to keep up my hype for phantom pain and i need something to ease the wounds of him not being in smash 4.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Heyooooooo, Just noticed that one of the smash 3 members joined the Smashboards crew!
Welcome to the Smashboards community iwantgames! glad you could join us!
He just needs a few more posts, then people can actually download his stuff...

Can I see pictures of Giga Bowser please?
But that's part of the surprise!

if it isn't too much trouble for you guys, i'd love to know what you all have planned for salad snack. i need something to keep up my hype for phantom pain and i need something to ease the wounds of him not being in smash 4.
He's getting a new texture and uhh...stuff...

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
I have a question, characters like Mario,Luigi and Mr. Game and Watch will recieve an update??
Or they will be permanently like this??

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
So is Ike still going to be scrawny or has he hit the gym and buffed up?

Also, are you guys still working on Awakening Roy or was that scrapped?

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
http://smashboards.com/threads/scouts-smash-3-rimlight-tutorial.370374/

Done. Rimlight tutorial above!

This is awesome, as I was hoping to ask you for something like this when you "officially" came back to the thread lol. Didn't want to bother you for it before hand but you've already started to work on one.
You guys made it pretty hard to me to stay distant.

Please, teach us more master Edel...

Good God the amount of likes this is getting, the Edel Hype is REAL!!!!!!!

I haz powerz.

Tailsmiles249

Smash Apprentice
Ready. Aim. Run. Fire!

More rendering fun. Think of this as a semi-regular thing from me in between updates.

Last edited:

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Ready. Aim. Run. Fire!

More rendering fun. Think of this as a semi-regular thing from me in between updates.
Why?! Why must your awesome rendering skills hit me right in the feels so much? It's just as bad as Saki's AT confirmation during the Smash Direct!

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Maybe you already hate me for complaining a lot but, I detected another glitch in Fox's eyes: In Spear Pillar, everytime Dialga or Palkia appears, his eyes become black, and when the match ends, he still has the black eyes (I tried the latest fix).

Bowser looks really cool, and with the "Bowser's Inside Story voice" SFX I have on him, he really feels like the REAL King of Koopas (I still can't believe Nintendo didn't give him his real voice in the new Smash Bros... "SHOWTIME!!!") . I only miss the red team Bowser with yellow hair, this one with red hair looks kinda odd IMO.

Did you guys add specular maps, or Bowser already had these? Like C. Falcon

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Maybe you already hate me for complaining a lot but, I detected another glitch in Fox's eyes: In Spear Pillar, everytime Dialga or Palkia appears, his eyes become black, and when the match ends, he still has the black eyes (I tried the latest fix).

Did you guys add specular maps, or Bowser already had these? Like C. Falcon
I have never heard of the Dialga/Palkia thing nor have I experienced it in my own tests. I will look into that.

Nano did indeed add a spec map to Bowser.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
man i cant hold this long enough but, three of the renders are bothering me so much: Link, Pikachu and Olimar, it feels like im looking at a flat picture instead of a 3D render, mainly link.

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
No worries, these complaints actually help us finds these things better.

I have never heard of the Dialga/Palkia thing nor have I experienced it in my own tests. I will look into that.

Nano did indeed add a spec map to Bowser.
This is a new one... must be the sudden overload of the stage hazard info that appears with Palkia and Dialga.

It this happened with Fox, it will happen to Falco too. The formats of the shaders and materials of the eyes are extremly similar to one another. I think unrimlighting the eyes will do the trick.

@ Halcreix Halcreix Can you show us a screenshot of the issues please?

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
It this happened with Fox, it will happen to Falco too. The formats of the shaders and materials of the eyes are extremly similar to one another. I think unrimlighting the eyes will do the trick.
if i've learned something about shaders, is that you should not add any to eyes, or else they'll glitch. I made a Cell-Shaded Yoshi long ago, following Spex130's tutorial on KCMM, and the eyes ewre pitch black with a glitched pupil bounded by a gray square, and then i never made it public (also never fixed because 2lazy)
the one that came up well was my cell-shaded Meta Knight, after some horrible trials and errors before finding that one tutorial (somehow, i managed to make the model to show all messed, ex and imploded the polygons and made the game lag a lot, it looked irrecognizable, some creepypasta-worthy stuff, but i laughed at the same time)

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
if i've learned something about shaders, is that you should not add any to eyes, or else they'll glitch.
True, however, not all the charaters suffer from this glitch... check smash 3 mario for example.

Also, for certain characters, rimlighting the eyes is necessary even knowing they are gonna get glitched, like Kirby, Lucas and Ness, their eyes animations are textures only and it affects a large portion of their faces.
I found the cause of these glitches.
However, it was Shun_One himself that found a way to fix this via shader and material replacing, that is why no smash3 characters eyes glitch when in FS mode, even with edited eye shaders.

They eye shaders are very sentitive, especially for characters that has transparent yellow FS eyes textures.

Cell shading may work the same way.
I suffered from those creepy errors that you had before.

But my case isn't pupils, I made an Ivysaur so glitched up, it look like a rainbow passed through a shredder.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
TBH, if I recall PM's stock Mewtwo already comes with slight rimlighting correct?

I actually encountered this "black eyes" glitch with him multiple times when playing on Spear Pillar stages (mostly the Spear Pillar Project M revamps). This might actually effect more characters than just Fox and Falco.

Also, should I have reported this in the Bug Report section? I thought it'd be best that I didn't since I was using a custom stage/removed stage.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
Happy Birthday Smash 3!!!!

(sorry it's so bad, couldn't spend too much time on it.)
Ah what a long way this project has come! It has been awesome since the beginning and this ride has been such a blast!

Last edited:

Obskore

Smash Ace
TBH, if I recall PM's stock Mewtwo already comes with slight rimlighting correct?

I actually encountered this "black eyes" glitch with him multiple times when playing on Spear Pillar stages (mostly the Spear Pillar Project M revamps). This might actually effect more characters than just Fox and Falco.

Also, should I have reported this in the Bug Report section? I thought it'd be best that I didn't since I was using a custom stage/removed stage.
you should not report bugs if you use files outside the stock ones (or mods) provided in the official download, if you have problems with them, it's your responsibility
[edit:] removed silly smiley, i can't make them to show as text only like in KCMM

Last edited:

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
Oh gawd! Today is the 1st anniversary of this thread and project!!
I'm so glad to download your awesome stuff guys!!

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Happy 1st anniversary! I remember my first meet with this project...not too far I guess, Falco was new dat days. Anyway, keep it up guys! your stuff is of the highest quality.

Edit: the progress chart in the opening...HYPE

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
A year ago, we started this foolish project of retexturing all the Brawl characters. Some doubted we'd even finish. It's been a long ride.
We've come pretty far, and the finish line is in sight! Thanks for staying with us all this time guys!

To celebrate, here's an update with...Dedede! And 4 others, including that angel boy from that game.

Pit is the new charcter in this bunch, and we're pretty happy with how he turned out! psst, check his shield moves Since the PMBR is adding a few new costumes in 3.5, we've gone ahead and added enough slots to fill everything for all the characters released today. Game & Watch players with cBliss can experience the new colours, while everyone else will have to wait for the PMBR to add more G&W slots.
We've also updated the sword trails, which you can see with the new Pit as well as the older characters we've added them to! Pit's also trained his voice for Smash 3, and now sounds like he did in Kid Icarus Uprising. Enjoy!

Edit: the progress chart in the opening...HYPE
Nooo!
The mass amount of content slowed me down, took forever to update my posts...!

Last edited:
Top Bottom