• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SkyWorld Legality Discussion -->

Status
Not open for further replies.

err

Smash Journeyman
anyone who has seen "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" should be in agreement with me that 75m needs to be played more frequently.

edit to be on topic:
I'm in agreement that too many people are being biitches about stage legality. if someone is going to try and get a gay victory over you, pick the same freaking character as them and just out play them. or better yet, be your own character and out play them. out gay them. if you know they're banking on one tactic, just camp and gay camp and gay.

Distant planet is a beautiful level, and the way the leaves slump when you stand on them lends itself to be a place for some really diverse situations. but omfg its circular and it rains and bulbax eatz meexz!!1

****in grow some stones. learn how to fight, and while you're at it try comboing your opponent into bulbax' mouth. it feels darn good.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Siding with Ch0zen on this

I feel that this stage should be legal as it was in the last tournament I played in though it was a counter pick stage. That's fine. Because for this reason you have more than one character you're good with or you play MK, lol.

The stage is ridiculous but it can be a fair stage that allows for balance. While, I hate the fact Olimar gets Gimped by Snake planting a mine and a C4 on a platform and blowing up my tether point, I feel its worse for snake when I just spam up smash and up tilt combos on him in the center.

This goes for most characters. And besides if you really feel like your opponent will counter you on this stage then just ban it during counter pick.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I for one dislike Sky World more then Luigi's Mansion, but both should be banned for all I care.

But seriously, Sky World is my least fave stage beside New Pork City, Mushroomy Kingdom, 75m etc etc, all the unplayable stages.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I am a tournament director. I feel that this stage should be legal... why.. b/c though it can be quite "gay" so to speak, it is also not completely ridiculous..

I think we should ban Lylat... b/c Kirby can Suck you up if you're next to the ledge, and shoot you out under the stage. Wow that makes Lylat too gay >_>

Halberd has a big Lazer that Kills n shiz... that stage should be banned >_>

I've been gimped TOO MANY TIMES by the water on Pirate Ship.. and the SHIP CAN KILL ME TOO OMG WTFBBQSAUCE >_> and there are CANNON BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously.. there are enough legal dumb stages that you can't really john about SkyWorld, b/c you're too much of a nub, to NOT go down in the middle of the stage where a mario is Utilting, or an ROB is Dsmashing...

Smashers are saying this thread is full of fail.. i think ALOT of the people that want this stage banned are skill = fail.

EVERY NEUTRAL STAGE FAVORS MetaKnight.

wft is that.

No Jones.
well duh people are going to want to want a stage that is more favoring for them. Think about it this way, would you risk winning 5,000 dollars playing on a stage when you can't be sure if you're up B will fail because a randomly generated ground pops up or the ledge randomly breaks. It's not just the fight club in skyworld but the gimpy platforms, the super random saving platform that will come in and out of focus to save characters. yes you can take matters to avoid getting spiked but you can also take measures to avoid Cresellia's razor wind attack. So why isn't Spear Pillar legal?

I guess Delfino should be banned too then?
but you can't be meteor smashed through the ground or have the ledges break when you go to grab it (and when the stage fades there is the ground to catch your fall).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think we should ban Lylat... b/c Kirby can Suck you up if you're next to the ledge, and shoot you out under the stage. Wow that makes Lylat too gay >_>

Halberd has a big Lazer that Kills n shiz... that stage should be banned >_>

I've been gimped TOO MANY TIMES by the water on Pirate Ship.. and the SHIP CAN KILL ME TOO OMG WTFBBQSAUCE >_> and there are CANNON BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're an idiot. I was hoping you weren't but this post made it clear.

First off, DK, Kirby, and Dedede can all get you under the stage via some method if there is a stage to be under. It's not really a determining factor. Enough character have methods of surviving it that it doesn't affect stage balance. Also, it's not really that hard to avoid.

Second, Halberd's lasers and bombs are pitifully easy to dodge and have presence in the level for such a short amount of time that they might as well not be there. Plus, it's a counterpick.

Pirate Ship is banned at every tourney I've gone to, minus one, and then the organizers found out why other banned it, and did so themselves at the next one.

There are legitimate reasons for Skyworld being banned, you're just not giving credence to them. Don't worry, keep Skyworld legal at your tourneys. I'd bet a fair number of players use their set stage ban on it most of the matches.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
Did no one watch the video, gives proof for half the reasons the stage should be banned. Any stage with an area that you can wall tech to survive for ridiculous amounts of time will be banned.

VENOIYI

Smash Rookie
Let me ask you.. what characters have an advantage on this stage > other characters...
honestly i dont see any characters having an advantage on skyworld except for the characters that have mad hops like rob,pit or MK. and its not a big deal because they would have the same advantages on any other stage because of their jumping abilities.
and as far as the stage spiking goes its a totally neutral advantage because anyone can do it and it requires skill.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
You're an idiot. I was hoping you weren't but this post made it clear.

First off, DK, Kirby, and Dedede can all get you under the stage via some method if there is a stage to be under. It's not really a determining factor. Enough character have methods of surviving it that it doesn't affect stage balance. Also, it's not really that hard to avoid.

Second, Halberd's lasers and bombs are pitifully easy to dodge and have presence in the level for such a short amount of time that they might as well not be there. Plus, it's a counterpick.

Pirate Ship is banned at every tourney I've gone to, minus one, and then the organizers found out why other banned it, and did so themselves at the next one.

There are legitimate reasons for Skyworld being banned, you're just not giving credence to them. Don't worry, keep Skyworld legal at your tourneys. I'd bet a fair number of players use their set stage ban on it most of the matches.
You clearly misunderstood the point i was making my good sir.

None of these things are reasons enough to make any of those stages banned... b/c every factor can be dealt with... with is EXACTLY the case w/ SkyWorld.

Honestly the only toons that i would ban SkyWorld against would "maybe" be ROB.. and that's really it... its relativly even for everyone else... but ROB Dsmash is just plain gayness.

But if you decide not to jump into the center of the stage when ROB is doing a Dsmash, then you shouldn't really have much to worry about...

No Jones.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You clearly misunderstood the point i was making my good sir.

None of these things are reasons enough to make any of those stages banned... b/c every factor can be dealt with... with is EXACTLY the case w/ SkyWorld.

Honestly the only toons that i would ban SkyWorld against would "maybe" be ROB.. and that's really it... its relativly even for everyone else... but ROB Dsmash is just plain gayness.

But if you decide not to jump into the center of the stage when ROB is doing a Dsmash, then you shouldn't really have much to worry about...

No Jones.
EDIT: Your points would make sense if people debated banning the first two, which they really don't. And...

No.

Where the hell is Sliq when you need him?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Losing a tourney somewhere b/c he's not good @ Brawl?

edit- and if you look at the smashers posting in this thread, there are more yeys than nays for the legality of SkyWorld...

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
And how do you come to that conclusion? You need to explain.
Sorry for the somewhat late response.

The problem with random lasers, bombs, etc. is that they can KO someone quickly, easily, & unexpectedly. Even if they don't KO, they still do a considerable amount of damage & can put someone in a disadvantageous position.

The stage spikes on Skyworld do the same thing (minus the damage). They put you in a disadvantageous position. Most u-smashes can kill you with a spike at unnaturally low percents. And the floor doesn't need to be broken to spike someone either. As long as the upper platform is intact, you can be spiked. Thus, characters with fast, spammable u-smashes can just camp in the bottom part of the stage. This is unfair.

Tether recoveries can be easily stopped by just destroying the ledge. This can kill tether recoverers at very low percents (in theory, 0%). This makes this stage very broken & easilly ban material.

So yeah, these things are just as bad as random lasers & bombs.

@ Chozen one: Characters with fast, spammable u-smashes, u-tilts, & some d-smashes & d-tilts have an advantage on this stage. And for the ROB example, what if ROB has a stock advantage? Then you HAVE to go down there.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
yes but the effect it has on characters overall. Basically unless you were sonic or any other character with an excellent ecovery you are basically boned.
Eh doesn't matter. I like norfair.
Lava is fun.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Losing a tourney somewhere b/c he's not good @ Brawl?

edit- and if you look at the smashers posting in this thread, there are more yeys than nays for the legality of SkyWorld...
Which is why Skyworld is legal at most tourneys AMIRITE.

So any tourney that doesn't have PirateShip/Halberd banned should theoretically also have SkyWorld as a legal counterpick yes?
Skyworld and Halberd comparable what?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I have been gayed ALOT more by the f*cking lazer n' random pitfalls on Halberd than i ever have my NOT TECHing on SkyWorld >_>
Read this and stopped caring.

Any reasonable tourney is going to have Skyworld banned. If it takes somebody with a better Smash history / colored name to convince you, great. Maybe by then you'll stop getting hit by a laser that's so easy to avoid my garbage-at-gaming eight year old brother can dodge it.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
not quite...there are other criterias for banning a stage, such as a stage that promote excessive camping such as new pork city or hyrule temple
Well by the lines of logic in the thread then you should just camp and use those levels anyway. So lets just legalize this level and it will turn into whoever has R.O.B. will win. The point of banning stages is to prohibit the makeup of that stage from promoting only one viable tactic. Tourney's are meant to see who has the most skill overall and having stages with GLARING advantages towards certain characters skews the perception of who really was better.

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
why the hell are u so f*cking defensive about this stage? if i were a director, i would do away with the counter pick nonsence and ban all stages exept battlefield, animal crossing, and yoshi's island. but honeslty i am going with ch0zen 0ne because there are more gay stages that arnt banned if skyworld is banned, so should the other crap

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
If someone is claiming that I PERSONALLY need "a known smasher" to tell ME how to think... then they CLEARLY do not know who i am..

Also.. EVERY neutral stage favors MetaKnight. Name a single one that doesn't. Even if smashers ban SkyWorld when it is on a counterpick stage, theres always Luigi's Mansion... and think about a 3-5 set..

What happens then.. clearly SOMEONE is going to run out of viable stages to counter the other person with... and it is SILLY to honestly think that an ROB is going to want to take an MK to ANY neutral stage..

what is left to pick when game 1 is @ FD

game 2 is at Frigate [b/c Luigi's Mansion is banned]

game 3 is at Yoshi's/BF

game 4 is at... Lylat?

game 5 is at ElectroPlankton/RainbowCruise... [this is some g*y sh*t]

Seriously guys.. if anything giving some characters alittle leeway in what they can counterpick VERY stimulates competition...

Right now there is A REASON why MetaKnight is dominating...

Personally... i'd have ALOT more stages on random, then just the current "neutrals".

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Maybe Meta Knight is dominating BECAUSE HE IS A GOOD CHARACTER.

This argument is like saying Ike would be a better character if more stages favored him. That is moronic.

If you have issues with every stage, there's a discussion thread stickied. However, this is about Sky World. And it's banned at most tourneys, as it should be.

Once again, as a director, you're welcome to have any stage list you want. Anybody worth a crap will either ignore your tournament or, if they're nice, try to help you see why things are the way they are (Hey, this thread?!) You're also allowed to whine like a scrub about Meta Knight being too good. Believe it or not, that has nothing to do with neutral stages.

o_O I'm telling Alex you said that. lol jk
Hahaha, well, hey, the kid gets mad at Madden and Fifa, I have to be honest xD

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
In melee don't you think Fox would have been even MORE broken if he could WaveShine infinite on EVERY neutral stage?

MK can basically UpB gimp anyone @ around 40% on EVERY neutral stage.

Balanced?

I think not.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
In melee don't you think Fox would have been even MORE broken if he could WaveShine infinite on EVERY neutral stage?

MK can basically UpB gimp anyone @ around 40% on EVERY neutral stage.

Balanced?

I think not.
Stop being bad at Brawl? That's really all that can be said to you at this point.

Your posts have degraded from making decent points to making bad points to whining about how you suck against MK on neutral stages. When you actually want to make a point that has nothing to do with the other stages and the character in this game and is relevant to your own topic, I think intelligent people might actually start caring.

Have fun hosting.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I think Delphino Plaza and 75m are of the some of the only stages Metaknight can't do it on.

75m/DP for Neutral Stages 2008 "Stages we can trust"

If you don't support this then you are Metaknight fanatic trying to destroy SSBB.

EDIT: Yay post 200!

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Well by the lines of logic in the thread then you should just camp and use those levels anyway
yea, you can can use that argument. it just won't be any fun...at all. 7-8 minutes of whoever gets the first hit evading the opponent simply because the stage allows it.

So lets just legalize this level and it will turn into whoever has R.O.B. will win
yep...thats called counterpicking. also its whoever knows how to tech will win

The point of banning stages is to prohibit the makeup of that stage from promoting only one viable tactic
What's the only viable tactic. if you say its choosing ROB, I will say you have no idea what your talking about

Tourney's are meant to see who has the most skill overall and having stages with GLARING advantages towards certain characters skews the perception of who really was better.
I also disagree here. Throughout my melee career, I've beat several known players that were definitely better than me who beat me pretty badly the first match, but because I had a solid counterpick, and was able to figure out certain habits, I pulled out a win in the second and third game of the set. Adaptability should be considered a part of skill. Problem is most people don't feel like doing that and would rather prematurely ban everything they don't like

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Stop being bad at Brawl? That's really all that can be said to you at this point.

Your posts have degraded from making decent points to making bad points to whining about how you suck against MK on neutral stages. When you actually want to make a point that has nothing to do with the other stages and the character in this game and is relevant to your own topic, I think intelligent people might actually start caring.

Have fun hosting.
Thank you, someone who is agreeing what I said earlier. Stop talking about what neutral, or counterpick stage that is currently allowed should be banned because (insert incredibly noob reason).

This topic is about Skyworld and only Skyworld. We have given you reasons why Skyworld is a terrible tournament stage. I haven't seen one solid reason besides, "it adds more variety." I love playing on a large portion of the stages, but not when money is on the line or it is a serious match amongst friends.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
I'm by no means an expert just under the impression if there is only one viable tactic for victory on a stage it was banned. Reason for no walk off stages ya? Also you must be a better player if you won through counterpicking, choosing your character and knowing the levels advantages for you are part of skill. I just think skyworld favors a few characters <4 and favors few tactics. I just don't think a stage where you can wall tech for ludicrous amounts of time are viable for tournament play.

boss8

Smash Hero
ummmmmmmmmm if your good at the game you should have no problem with any stage......(but if you are bad ofcourse your going to complain)

i wish u all would shutup about skyworld..... just **** them regardless....just camp i mean that is what brawl is all about right?? (***s) :)

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
ummmmmmmmmm if your good at the game you should have no problem with any stage......(but if you are bad ofcourse your going to complain)

i wish u all would shutup about skyworld..... just **** them regardless....just camp i mean that is what brawl is all about right?? (***s) :)
People are trying to make the game into some measure of overall skill, not singular tactics, or stages that heavily favor a few characters. If we can't have melee tournaments anymore we need to at least focus on working brawl into something better then it is today.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Im quite sure that EVERY character stands basically an equal chance of getting "gimped"...

everyone is talking about the fact that there are toons where there is a [supposed] considerable amount of advantage on this stage VS others... what are those toons if i might ask?

boss8

Smash Hero
People are trying to make the game into some measure of overall skill, not singular tactics, or stages that heavily favor a few characters. If we can't have melee tournaments anymore we need to at least focus on working brawl into something better then it is today.
hahaha no one pays attention to skill when it's turney play....if u watch some matches 99% of the time all nubs do is camp for example....overswarm,chozenone,yo,candy,dope,etc so yea what r ya gonna do camping is gay but they all want to win...i don't mind camping i have a cape....not all characters do leaving them unimmune to camping....

besides once campers get u to a certain high percentage they don't no what to do after that but spam smash attacks hahahaha :chuckle:

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is just as easily spiked down through the clouds however alot of characters can become gimped by the bottom of the stage reforming a split second too early. If this isn't a problem whats wrong with WarioWare all of that is avoidable? We don't want to promote anything that stales the hell out of the game. Lets let hyrule back in so I can survive to 400% and hell why not bridge of eldin I'll just chain grab you and kill you at ~40%. Certain stages are banned because they do not promote a wide variety of skills but just one strategy.

As for camper's they can sit there and shoot all they want, your right about most of them not knowing what to do after there pewpew lasers have achieved the desired effect, at that point I have knockback comparable to Ike and I've damaged them pretty badly so woo me. In theory anyways I need to get to some brawl tournaments>.>

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Yes it is correct that in HYRULE you could survive quite long.. however in SKYWORLD the platforms disappear...

but no one has yet given me reason to believe that any specific characters have a LARGE advantage on this stage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom