• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiisu

Smash Cadet
First time I've been in this topic >>;

@Doromac

The focal is too unfocal like and the right is too overpowering. Tone down the effects and try to make the focal stand out a bit more. Also, I dunno how I feel about center positioning. You should try placing on one of Rules of 3rds power points.

This is the first real sig I've made in like 3 months :V

NekoNekoXD

Smash Cadet

i just made this sig. Didnt spend to much time on it. Just wanted to use one of the featured renders from planet renders lol.

CnC

@chiisu Having a lot of effect revolving around color wheels isnt too good though because it messes with your overall color scheme and layout. Verticals For The Win! In anycase its pretty good its just rather plain. Also the pictured you used is kinda LQ but it really doesnt effect it that much. Over all its pretty good though.

Grandeza

Smash Master
@NekoNeki

it's like maaad monotone. it's all orange. Even the border is tinted brown-orange. You need to definitely get another color in there. The fx are ok and idk what else to say really.

So this is the first sig I've made in a while that I actually worked on

v1:

v2:

v2 w/ border:

Grandeza

Smash Master
^you need to critique to get critique. i don't get what's so hard about reading the OP. back to my sigs then i guess vv

@NekoNeki

it's like maaad monotone. it's all orange. Even the border is tinted brown-orange. You need to definitely get another color in there. The fx are ok and idk what else to say really.

So this is the first sig I've made in a while that I actually worked on

v1:

v2:

v2 w/ border:

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
@ NekoNekoXD:
it's like maaad monotone. it's all orange. Even the border is tinted brown-orange. You need to definitely get another color in there.
Funny, I actually think that's one of the best parts about it. :laugh: It's not as easy as it sounds to make a monotoned piece work well, but it has just enough variation (yellow/sandy colors) to make it interesting. I don't think it needs other colors, personally. The depth is very well done, and the negative space really works.

The lighting is weird, though. That soft, bright yellow spot at the top looks outta place, because her face is lit from the other side. If possible I'd remove that. The left side of the sig looks unresolved somehow also... not sure about that.

@ Grandeza: v2, like the washed out colors better. Decent lighting. There's not much to it, though. I think the wavy shapes have too many colors; I prefer limited color schemes usually... The composition is sort of ehh as well. Sonic is just standing straight up against a somewhat plain background. When you're making a sig out of a werehog, I want to see something dynamic and eyecatching (maybe even violent?), not subtle. I'm not sure how I'd work with that render, it seems sort of awkward.

@ Kholdstare: I like it. It's simple but it's nice how the birds move through space, going farther and coming closer again. It's almost... peaceful.

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman

Purdi, the three clocks are not very appealing, and it's really low quality. Get some better quality pictures.
Those effects and colors are hot, the compo not so much... D:
Get rid of those glowing pentool effects too.

@Chiisu: Looking through your DA, god**** all your stuff is pro.

Chiisu

Smash Cadet
LOL thanks for the compliment. i'm really not that good tbh.

i added a new version :V

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
Okay, that's totally not going anywhere.

Study in depth, lighting.

Aaaand because there's nothing else for people to critique, I might as well throw this in:

Neon Ness

@Chiisu: Looking through your DA, god**** all your stuff is pro.
I second this. A lot. That one piece with the old school GameBoys blew my mind.

@ Inyro: Well the first one, the depth actually is a little ehh. She takes up most of the rectangular space, which doesn't leave much room for foreground/background depth. I see a blurred area on the right which does look like it's far away, but then she looks like she's laying down so I can't tell if she's supposed to be floating. Also the random animal tail (?) is confusing to me. It's just hard to tell what's going on. The lighting is good and consistent. I like that soft glow on the side of her face.

For the second one, the depth is more feasible but now it's really bright. I think if you want lighting to be a big part of it, there could be some dark shadows, maybe? To up the contrast. I dunno.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
Chiisu, I like the compo. Nice colors bro, but I feel as in v1 there is something missing, and the text is too much, and on v2, there is too much going on for me.

I'm doing terribly with making tags lately. I might go back to this one.

HentaiKing4Ever

Smash Rookie
@Doro: wtf is going on? o.o I really don't know what to look for =\

CnC
Im sure theres a things i need to work on still T_T

E1: Just noticed..depth needs work
~Diddyknight~

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
lmao hentaiking

i like your flow and use of lighting at some points.
other than that, i can't really say much cause i'm new to this stuff

but i approve of the sig

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anything really special about yours, hentai. The text could be improved a bit. Decent compo, and simple bg. Nothin much I care about, it's something I don't mind looking at though (not in that way).

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Hmm I guess I'm doing Doromac's huh?

Well I like it, the skulls seems a little out of place to me though, like it's not blended in well. I can see the outlines of where they are cut off. Though that isn't the focus it would be nice since it's like you bothered to put them in there so people will see it, make it nicer. I've never been able to pull off any of those squares and shapes put in places, seems to work there to me but I can't say anything about them if they can be improved.

Ok I haven't been here in a long time and I haven't photoshopped anything in a long time as well. Starting to go on forums again so I thought I'd try again.

Neon Ness

Well I like it, the skulls seems a little out of place to me though, like it's not blended in well. I can see the outlines of where they are cut off.
Yeah, I agree with this. Because the skulls are sharp and in focus while the people they were superimposed onto are blurry, it sort of breaks the illusion factor. If it's possible to sharpen the people on the side it'd look great. The third square bothers me, though. Why is it a different size than the others?

The lighting is great throughout, and makes for interesting contrast. There's some odd depth, though. The leftmost person is blurry and slightly shorter than the middle person, which makes them look farther away, yet looking at the shoulders they're somehow in front of him? That's the only real big issue there with the composition... I'd also like the background to have something other than just plain white.

@ Onyx Vulpine: It's not bad. That font is sort of blah. I don't particularly care for serif fonts in sigs generally, most of the time simpler typefaces work better. The letters are also really thick and bold, but I'm not sure if it fits so well. I wish the blue curve wasn't cut off at the bottom; I'd also like to see a few more of them. The smudging looks random, but it's good you were at least trying things out with it. Smudge tool's hard to get right. @__@

The border looks unnecessary. I think it's fine without it. There basically just needs to be more designs to make us want to look at it.

@ Hentai: I don't see much wrong with the depth. Only thing is, to have "Hentai King" and also "Welcome to the world of hentai" seems... redundant, I guess. The designs and lighting are pretty incredible.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
New photoshop is different than the old one I used to make sigs on. Don't know how to change all the smudging settings and I forgot how to use the pen tool as well as I used to.

Neon Ness

Don't really like the how the vector shapes are right now for some reason. I think it's because they're a little slapped on looking and flat. I do like the pastel colors for the most part, it's kind of a funny contrast to Bang's personality.

Something's odd with the depth on the bottom right. Because pixel art is so sharp looking, Bang looks like he's more in focus than the shapes in front if him. I dunno, that might just be me... Chose a great font by the way. It also has that "kiddie" look. Overall the vector shapes just need cleaning up a little, but it's good work.

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
Player - I think you need to work more on giving the tag a foreground, and then maybe give more vectors or c4ds in the background instead of the white.

New tag:

And for those who want to say "You didn't do anything to the original stock", here you go:

Player-4

See you in 25 years

How's this?

About your sig Inyro, I like the flow, colors, and lighting. The effects on the guards is distracting for some reason though.

Alzi

Smash Master
He means actually add a background instead of the white since it will look better. But if it's only somthing for fun you made Player-4 then it looks good. It's nice to expirment with things like these. From that simple expirmenting you did with that image you can actually try turn it into a banner with that sort of style to it.

Inyro Gatling looks very nice i really like the effects that you have going there they look good. The only thing i hate is that guys head showing lol. It just makes me keep looking there and thinking dam his head is annoying.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Any ideas on a background? I can't seem to find anything I like, plus I'm doing this for a contest so I wanna get it right. :)

[Edit]

I hate bugging you guys but I love sig making and I really wanna get good at it. Help me pick from these final ones?

I think I like the purple(2) and BW(4) one the best.

Alzi

Smash Master
The last two i like since it matches with the character. The third one imo is the best.

I would keep working on it though like try out somthing completly diffrent with the same image you might end up making somthing better then you did before. ;)

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
P-4, I'm not too fond of it personally. The compo is meh at best, the large dot to the right of Ibuki is ugly and needs to be removed. In the smudged BG, on the left there is a very defined pattern which looks like a floral brush; the problem with that is that it ruins the smudged BG. I think it would be best if you redo this one.

Worked on this one last night.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
But I already entered it for AiB SOTW :(

Plus I had to close out photoshop because it was acting up, so I only saved my final versions.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
Rev said last night in skype he meant to put that it'll be due tonight at 11:59 Central Time.

Betta hop on the choppa *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom