• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
He means as in a sig. This is the sig critique topic.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
What happened to the old regulars? ._.

@Alzi-Multiple renders aren't good.
Its too monochromatic. The text seems to become the focal.
The large render is awkwardly placed.

New Abstract

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
What happened to the old regulars? ._.

@Alzi-Multiple renders aren't good.
Its too monochromatic. The text seems to become the focal.
The large render is awkwardly placed.

New Abstract
The colors are okay, I wouldn't have used the yellow you put in there, but that's an opinion. Some of the smudging you did looks good, but some of it looks sorta messy. I think it lacks a lot depth aswell. One think I like is the smudging from the top left and right corners. GL in the voting thread ^^

I just wanted some opinions on these tags I've made over this summer.

The last won me 2nd in SOTW, yet I still don't have a participant badge v_v

zrky

Smash Lol'd
WOW! You have really improved from the first ones I saw from you:)
They look great, but a little too cluttered, and just like in your face. If it wasn't for the fact that the renders have colors that contrast the backgrounds, they would be lost in the colors:ohwell: You seem to like that style of c4d, which you are managing to work well with. I love the blending, it's probably better than anything I could do (well at least right now;)).

That's all, I would say to try and not make them look so cluttered like you almost have to find that color or shape that doesn't match the rest of the c4ds. Otherwise looks good.
Oh, and lighting is great!

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Thanks zrky, I agree with you on my style being mostly C4Ds. I've tried smudging and vector, and I just haven't been able to create a decent tag.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Zolga :)

@Alzi- The fading text is sorta cheezy. It looks washed out and too bright. Try to make your tags have 1 specific area where you want viewers to be drawn to (aka focal point).

Alzi

Smash Master
Thanks for all the comments. Next banner i make will definatly be better then the last one i did hopefully.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Something I did for a friend of mine.
The composition needs work. Some tags can work with a center focal, others, such as this one, can't. Keep in mind, the rule of thirds (I will be glad to explain this if you need me to).

The text stands out too much. I would recommend making it smaller, darker, and removing the white blur behind it.

The render is oversharpened.

He is holding an assault rifle. Give that man some Battle Rifle, son.

CnC on my current?

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
lmfao. Yeah I'm reediting it. Anywho I got a new one to get critiqued for a SOTW on another forum.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
lmfao. Yeah I'm reediting it. Anywho I got a new one to get critiqued for a SOTW on another forum.
Don't forget, you're supposed to give critique before you can recieve it.

The text should match the color of her hair, in my opinion. If you were to recolor it that blonde and do a hair texture overlay, I think it would look really nice.

I don't particularly like the yellow smudging you did below the text, either.

The light on the cant is pretty distracting from what I'm pretty sure is supposed to be the focal above it.

I love what you've done with the tag overall, though.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
Oh sorry. Your sig is sick. The lighting on it works great with it. I love it =P.

Thanks =). Yeah I gotta tweak it a bit more.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda

SuSa recently complimented on my sig and it made me feel super happy and I wanted to know what others though of it. I was never too confident it till the lovely comment from SuSa =3

Note: I made this sig like a year ago and I finally decided to start on a new one. Except I'm worried becasue it's kinda depressing (if you have seen End of Evangelion think about the elevator scene and that is essential my new sig being made.)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

SuSa recently complimented on my sig and it made me feel super happy and I wanted to know what others though of it. I was never too confident it till the lovely comment from SuSa =3

Note: I made this sig like a year ago and I finally decided to start on a new one. Except I'm worried becasue it's kinda depressing (if you have seen End of Evangelion think about the elevator scene and that is essential my new sig being made.)
In my humble opinion:
The borders are overkill.
The text is rotten and too "in my face."
I like the silhouette idea, but not the execution. I see random orange in there.
I don't really see how the image and video fit, but that's a personal problem.
Horizon lines on the middle of the canvas are a no-no.

Please follow the rules and critique before requesting critique.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
Overall text could use some work. The border is kinda messes up the whole sig.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Good job on:
C4d's
Render choice

Work on:
Smudging (work on that a lot)
Text (boring, it could use some texture)
Composition (still not following that rule of thirds)
Border (it really isn't necessary)
Size (it's massive)

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
In my humble opinion:
The borders are overkill.
The text is rotten and too "in my face."
I like the silhouette idea, but not the execution. I see random orange in there.
I don't really see how the image and video fit, but that's a personal problem.
Horizon lines on the middle of the canvas are a no-no.

Please follow the rules and critique before requesting critique.
Thank you so much for the critique. I actually appreciate it a lot! Could you describe how the borders are overkill? I used em to separate the gif from the sig. I am also confused on what you meant by horizon lines in the middle? Yeah I thought the text was pretty bad. Lol but I couldn't find one I liked.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Thank you so much for the critique. I actually appreciate it a lot! Could you describe how the borders are overkill? I used em to separate the gif from the sig. I am also confused on what you meant by horizon lines in the middle? Yeah I thought the text was pretty bad. Lol but I couldn't find one I liked.
The borders could be a simple black and much more thin; in other words, they stand out far too much and distract from the actual art.

The horizon line is found in your background. Good composition has horizon lines at either third of the canvas.

Another thing that I noticed is that your signature looks very grainy. Here is my recommendation: Seperate the video and the image beside into two different files. Keep whatever borders you would like. Save the image as a .png and put it next to the video in your signature for better quality.

Please turn your signature off here.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
The borders could be a simple black and much more thin; in other words, they stand out far too much and distract from the actual art.

The horizon line is found in your background. Good composition has horizon lines at either third of the canvas.

Another thing that I noticed is that your signature looks very grainy. Here is my recommendation: Seperate the video and the image beside into two different files. Keep whatever borders you would like. Save the image as a .png and put it next to the video in your signature for better quality.

Please turn your signature off here.
O crap I am so sorry!!! Was that why you told me to follow the rules last post?

I well take your advice about the png thing. It always bothered me that the sig grainy look but I wanted to keep the sig and gif in the same area.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
O crap I am so sorry!!! Was that why you told me to follow the rules last post?

I well take your advice about the png thing. It always bothered me that the sig grainy look but I wanted to keep the sig and gif in the same area.
There are three rules I have mentioned recently, all three of which apply to you.
Rule of thirds (see the aforementioned link.)
Signature rule (your signature should be set to OFF. The pages become quite lengthy as it is; signatures add to that considerable stretch.)
CnC rules of courtesy (you should critique someone else before requesting critique.)

Don't sweat it.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
There are three rules I have mentioned recently, all three of which apply to you.
Rule of thirds (see the aforementioned link.)
Signature rule (your signature should be set to OFF. The pages become quite lengthy as it is; signatures add to that considerable stretch.)
CnC rules of courtesy (you should critique someone else before requesting critique.)

Don't sweat it.
Lol o goodness I feel like such a scrub. I would love to critique a sig but I don't feel I have the expertise to decide what is good or not, seeing how I don't really understand the rules.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Lol o goodness I feel like such a scrub. I would love to critique a sig but I don't feel I have the expertise to decide what is good or not, seeing how I don't really understand the rules.
Don't worry about rules too much. Just say what you like and don't like about signatures.

Enough about rules and such. There's critiquing to be done.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
it needs moar s.e.x. for my eyes.

dont get me wrong. it looks spicy. its just, for me, the "vibrant" colors make my eyes have orgasms, what im saying is. the colors are a tad dull and should be spiced up more a notch o.o BAM ya know?

c4d is placed well, fix the quality of the stock/render/spideyman :3 (makes sigs look that much more sexier), add some "flare" effects to that smoke/smog or perhaps some mini lights, just BLING it :p

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

dont get me wrong. it looks spicy. its just, for me, the "vibrant" colors make my eyes have orgasms, what im saying is. the colors are a tad dull and should be spiced up more a notch o.o BAM ya know?

c4d is placed well, fix the quality of the stock/render/spideyman :3 (makes sigs look that much more sexier), add some "flare" effects to that smoke/smog or perhaps some mini lights, just BLING it :p
Someone's horny for aesthetics.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^ knows my taste too well. u can only guess who inspired me to design the way i do O_<.

if only i had the skill i used to have 2 years ago, now. oh well sighs. gotta start somewhere >_<

ZUES!!! MAKE MORE SISGZ NAO

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239

lmfao. I'll BLING it just for you xD.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
The lq render makes the tag look bleh. Try to add more colors, as Fear mentioned, to give the tag a nice appeal. The clipping masks are random, and the smudging you did looks like a mess. :/ Try to keep it simple and detailed. Use a different color for your text, one that is easier to read. White is usually the best solution, or a lighter shade of the red you already have.

Any ideas before I apply it?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its really 3dish, o.o maybe some 3d/2d effects to compliment the green. bubbles ftw =P and perhaps some vector lines too and some hot sexy smudging :3

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman

I didn't try any smudging, but I did add some lines and am going to add some bubble effects. Thoughts on the lines please? I also sharpened + blurred some areas, but I still haven't fully finished the tag yet.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
big improvement, of course since there is that blue/cyan there U MUST COMPLIMENT IT, id suggest some good old fashioned 100pt circle soft brush set to lighten with a cyan hue :3

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Here's my new signature. It was made in Photoshop CS2 9.0.

I like what you were heading towards. I think the background has a little too much greay in it. The slanted text is great imo. I guess the border can be added, but again I hate em.

Richard7

Smash Ace
Hey everyone.

I reackon the people who make signatures and stuff like that are really talented. A friend of mine made my signature.

Tell me what you think of my sig. Its even cooler if you've seen the show. :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom