• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shiny Hunting Thread

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've seen threads like this on other forums, but I haven't seen a (recent) one here. So, yeah, here's the official Shiny hunting thread.

Discuss your goals for shinies, what shinies you simply want, your adventures searching for shinies, your failures to find shinies...whatever. Catching, hatching, soft resetting for legendaries--anything. And once you've introduced your shiny career, come here to share the shinies you're currently hunting for (whether you're hunting it, resetting for it, chaining for it, or hatching for it) and your experiences doing so, like your progress.

First of all, for those who don't know what a Shiny Pokemon is, it's a different colored Pokemon (you can find the shiny sprites of all Pokemon in the Serebii Pokedex) with a 1/8192 chance. Unfortunately, this rate is always in place--which means that even after twice that many battles, you're still not guaranteed to have a shiny Pokemon. This makes them all the more desirable, however.

I have caught two shinies in my entire Pokemon career; a Shiny Sneasel in my Gold Version (which I no longer have because I accidentally deleted my game) and a Shiny Bellsprout in Leaf Green, which is now a Victreebel at level 100.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I seem to recall catching a shiny Oddish in Silver waaaaay back in the day.

I always questioned its shininess though, and I cannot remember if its leaves were yellow or not. Oh well, I like to think that I caught a shiny Oddish.

On another note, I've always wanted a Shiny Beldum so I could raise it to be a Shiny Metagross, which is by far one of THE best looking shinies out there.

Yaya

Smash Champion
When I was going to evolve my Eevee into Glaceon, I was walking to the stone when I got an encounter, a Pink Sneasle, I used a quick ball, caught it, saved 5 times, did a dance, and rubbed it in my bro's face.

When I didn't have my Skarmory, I was walking to Canalave to take on Byron when I encoiuntered a Shiny Bidoof, I have a shiny HM Slave :)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
On another note, I've always wanted a Shiny Beldum so I could raise it to be a Shiny Metagross, which is by far one of THE best looking shinies out there.

I spent a long time soft resetting for a Shiny Beldum in Sapphire. I finally got REALLY BORED, and after about 200 resets, I gave up. He looks really awesome shiny, but I'm not a patient person.

When I was going to evolve my Eevee into Glaceon, I was walking to the stone when I got an encounter, a Pink Sneasle, I used a quick ball, caught it, saved 5 times, did a dance, and rubbed it in my bro's face.

When I didn't have my Skarmory, I was walking to Canalave to take on Byron when I encoiuntered a Shiny Bidoof, I have a shiny HM Slave :)
I want a shiny HM Slave.

sonofthesky

Smash Journeyman
Me and my shinys..

Okami looking linnone
Purple tentacool
Green onix
Blue nidoran male.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seem to recall catching a shiny Oddish in Silver waaaaay back in the day.

I always questioned its shininess though, and I cannot remember if its leaves were yellow or not. Oh well, I like to think that I caught a shiny Oddish.

I got a shiny beldum from mossdeep, but the next day my game got corrupted. I also recall my cousin getting a shiny starter, but he didn't choose it on his file. I hit him.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I got a shiny beldum from mossdeep, but the next day my game got corrupted. I also recall my cousin getting a shiny starter, but he didn't choose it on his file. I hit him.
Oh, that's so disappointing!

As for your cousin, what do you mean he didn't choose it on his file?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think he means his cousin didn't pick that starter.:)
Wait, the sprite you see in the selection screen shows if it's shiny or not? Well that would make soft resetting for a shiny a lot easier. Although I'd never do it in Fourth Generation. You have to save, like, 5 minutes before you actually get to see it. I tried soft resetting for a FEMALE starter and I got sick and just went with a male. (I wanted a female for breeding purposes, so I could breed before I got the National Dex and Ditto.)

But yeah, good job hitting your cousin. I would beat anyone up who did that. I'm this close to beating up my friend for not saving...it doesn't matter if he was hoping to get to the Pokemon Center first, if you have LOW BATTERY (heck, even if you have FULL Battery) and you just caught a shiny, you SAVE! It's not like it's a game-changing decision late in the game. If they didn't want the starter, you get the starter and then trade it over to another version, restart, and pick the starter you want.

Just out of curiousity, which generation + Pokemon was it? If it was third generation and either Mudkip or Treecko, I HATE HIM. Those two (but especially Mudkip) look AWESOME shiny.

How can you say "No" to that?!

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
I recently restarted my Diamond version just because. The very first pokemon that appeared was a shiny Starly. Seeing the ONE impossible-to-catch pokemon in the game as a shiny was, well, quite horrible. Yeah...I don't like Starly anymore.

Other than that, I have a shiny Zigzagoon, Muk (omg its green!), Castform, and Camerupt. And I've cloned them about five times each.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh yeah, I'd also like to say that I have a TON of shinies that I haven't caught. Most of my shinies are from trades. I have...

Venusaur, Charizard, Beedrill (which was my friend's, I duplicated it--the Weedle he evolved it from was the first Pokemon he ran into in Viridian Forest on his Leaf Green), Golbat, Diglett, Tentacruel, Gengar, Koffing, Gyarados, All of the Eeveelutions (duplicating for the win...), Mew, Totodile, Sneasel, Mightyena, Linoone, Wingull, Aggron, Roselia, Flygon, Salamence, Groudon, Piplup, Staravia, and Dialga. (A whopping total of 32 shinies received by trades, 34 total)

Yeah, I know I'm a total cheap person, getting them from trades. But they're so pretty! And I've racked up at LEAST 1000 hours on all of the games that you can find shinies in, and I've found two. So I think it's fair to want some more. ...Maybe not that many, but still.

Also, my shiny wishlist;

A few of the Pokemon I don't particularly care for, but they look pretty shiny. Will I ever get all of those shinies? Most likely not, unless I go on a trading/hacking rampage. But I still want them all.

By the way, I'm just going to ignore the Nosepass. Which I realized was Nosepass without help.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
He had the option of a shiny mudkip or the other two pokemon. He got a treecko. -_-
So wait, you CAN see if they're shiny or not in the selection screen? Awesome, thanks for the info.

As for your cousin...

:burst::burst::burst::burst::burst:

Can you please hit him one time for me, the next time you see him? HOW COULD YOU GIVE UP A SHINY MUDKIP?! HOW?! It's all pretty and purple...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
....and it's a mudkip!!
Speaking of Mudkips and Shiny, I think I might restart my Sapphire version and soft reset for a shiny Mudkip. Anyone want to shiny hunt/reset as well so I don't feel alone?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Me, me!! I always wanted a shiny mudkip!
Yay, I have a shiny resetting partner!

So I have a question, Majora; can you confirm, 100%, that if the Mudkip is shiny it'll appear in the "Choosing a Pokemon" screen? Otherwise, I think I'll go to the in-battle part. I tried Googling to see if I could find a picture, but the pictures were pretty useless.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
On my diamond I have a shiny fearow and a shiny azelf. On my gold I got a shiny butterfree.
Shiny Butterfree looks awesome in my opinion. And good job getting a Shiny Azelf--I'm not a particular fan of it, but getting a Shiny Legendary is always a cool thing.

Also, I've started resetting for Shiny Mudkip...no luck yet. Then again, it's the...what, 10th reset?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Shiny Butterfree looks awesome in my opinion. And good job getting a Shiny Azelf--I'm not a particular fan of it, but getting a Shiny Legendary is always a cool thing.

Also, I've started resetting for Shiny Mudkip...no luck yet. Then again, it's the...what, 10th reset?
Remember though, you can reset a million times and you may still never get it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Remember though, you can reset a million times and you may still never get it.
Yeah, I know. But I want to try for it anyways--it's sort of fun, in a way. Especially if Bowser and I are both doing it together.

Well, as long as I don't get a Shiny Poochyena. I'll scream if that happens. And then I'll take a million pictures so I can get something out of it.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Only found a shiny once in any game (that I knew it was shiny/can recall it) and thats a shiny Medicham on Diamond (ugliest looking thing ever lol, but why pass up the chance on my first shiny ever right?) So I caughtz it and its my first one ever :o

Spire

III
BRoomer
Slightly off topic (maybe not...), but who DIDN'T catch the shiny Gyarados is Gold/Silver? Anyways, only other shiny I have is a japanese Riolu I got for a Dialga (poor guy was probably trying to clone it).
I would have liked Riolu/Lucario's shiny skin to be the silver alt he has in Brawl rather than the obnoxious yellow in D/P, but good job on snagging it.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Slightly off topic (maybe not...), but who DIDN'T catch the shiny Gyarados is Gold/Silver? Anyways, only other shiny I have is a japanese Riolu I got for a Dialga (poor guy was probably trying to clone it).
Oh yeah, you're right. I totally forgot about Gyarados, though he's not much of a great shiny since everyone gets him but a shiny none-the-less.

For all you who haven't played Gold/Silver/Crystal, haha we had a red gyarados :p

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would have liked Riolu/Lucario's shiny skin to be the silver alt he has in Brawl rather than the obnoxious yellow in D/P, but good job on snagging it.
Yeah. The yellow doesn't even look that good, for a yellow. It's like a dull yellow, not even golden.

Oh yeah, you're right. I totally forgot about Gyarados, though he's not much of a great shiny since everyone gets him but a shiny none-the-less.

For all you who haven't played Gold/Silver/Crystal, haha we had a red gyarados :p
Oh yeah, forgot about Gyarados (in G/S/C, I also have one in Diamond which I mentioned).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Skyler's total Shiny's caught ever count: 0

That's right! I decided to be a malcontent and not get the shiny Gyarados in G/S/C

Ultra Nova

Smash Apprentice
You guys don't use the poke radar method to get shinies in D/P. With that its pretty easy to get shinies after you get the hang of it.

~rh

Smash Lord
I was EV training earlier, so i was surfing for Tentacools/Cruels and out of the hundreds I was fighting, a grey shiny one popped up! I caught that ***** in a heartbeat, lol.

Wewt~

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
the chances in seeing a shiny pokemon randomly in the wild without chaining or anything is like 1 in 8,000 something. I get shinies in the GTS only cause finding them in thw wild = too hard

majora_787

Smash Hero
I caught a shiny corpish this morning. I keep it in my PC just to look at it. I've spent half the day saving. XD

Top Bottom