• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shady Dive

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
THE SHADY DIVE​

Edit: Ally implementing the "shady dive" at 4:50-5:07​

Edit: Thoughts to consider before posting (thought I would move this up to the top, because people are skim reading the thread): I know this is not new, and I know It's not a new technique. Also, in practice I usually execute this only 2-3 times, not 8 times like I do in the video. However, if conditions are right it is possible to land it many times. The Falcon Dive is a valuable offensive tool, not only against snake, but all characters, and that is the major point of all this. Snake is affected the most by these dives, which is why I've chosen snake as my dummy. My inner circle of Smashers have recently adapted the name Shady Dive for any spectacular KO involving a Falcon Dive. Whether you choose to adopt it is entirely up to you. Furthermore, I've read the Falcon guides in their entirety many months ago. Trying to instruct me in the basics isn't insulting to me, but it is a waste of text! :p

If Snake is off the ledge recovering with his Up-B, and Falcon lands a Falcon Dive, he can consecutively land more Falcon Dives to rack up damage, or even take a stock, if he is positioned right. It may be possible for snake to break free if he attempts a c4 recovery; however, I have yet to witness this. If you keep him low enough to the blastline, he will not be able to detonate the c4 in time anyway. If performed correctly, this is unstopable for a short period of time, due to Snakes predictable recovery. This can also be done on various other characters, but not as many times as it can be done on Snake. This is footage of a real game. It is not staged.

I have coined this technique the "Shady Dive." If any of the OP's of the stickies would like to include this into their threads feel free.

I am a Falcon main. I do not play him as a joke, I actually play him in tournaments. I have been playing Falcon seriously for a little over half a year against many characters and I feel that I have much to contribute to this forum, which seems to have become very inactive.

You can look forward to more contributions in the future when I find a more efficient way to share my videos. Currently I have to use my phone to record them. I am limited to 20 seconds of footage.

I hope to see a revival of this great Smashbrothers icon. I am working towards that goal every day.

Edit: Just want to add that I am not claiming to be the greatest Falcon. I am a Falcon main who takes Falcon seriously, despite his obvious disadvantages. I am trying to break onto the scene as a proponent of Falcon use, not a preacher of Falcon law.

Important bit of info:

Thanks to Player-3 for pointing out my epic fail! Very embarassing. It's obvious I spend more time playing Falcon than reading the Falcon boards 0.o

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
im sorry man but im not a falcon main, and ive done that before. This isnt anything new. And by the way if he DI toward the ledge like that, you couldve finished him with a side b. The vertical boost you would receive would be sufficient enough for you to grab the edge.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
im sorry man but im not a falcon main, and ive done that before. This isnt anything new. And by the way if he DI toward the ledge like that, you couldve finished him with a side b. The vertical boost you would receive would be sufficient enough for you to grab the edge.
I had more than one chance to kill him. For example: when he used his side-b instead of his up-b, I could have just left him alone to fall to his death. I chose this particular video because I felt like it was the best demonstration. Once I had started, I purposely tried to connect the Raptor Boost as many times as possible. This was a friendly, a real game, but a friendly. Also, I am well aware how the mechanics of Falcon's side-b work.

My title "New Character Specific Technique" is probably a little misleading. It is new in the sense that there is no reference to it in any of the Falcon guides, thus I am calling attention to it. I'm not aserting that I am the first person to do this. Nor am I aserting that it is a new discovery. I should have been a little more clear. I am aserting; however, that it has implications that should to be considered, particularly in the case of Falcon's matchup to Snake. Also, this does not yet have a name, so I figured I would give it one. Thank you for your contribution, much appreciated. Arguments pertaining to this techniques usefulness (or uselessness) are welcome. That is the point of discussing these things after all.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I can't watch the video right now because school blocks YouTube, but I'll assume you mean Down B, which is the Falcon Kick. Side B is Raptor Boost.

As others have already stated, this isn't anything new. I like your enthusiasm, though.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
This is not a new tech, it's something every Falcon mainer should keep in mind when FIGHTING ON THE EDGE!!!!11

I kid, but it's basically what it is lol. A tech is something like the thing Captain Falcon can do with the raptor boost on Yoshi's Island: a huge, HUGE slide. Look it up, man.

But again, your enthusiasm is nice.

Player-3

Smash Hero
you know what would be awesome

side bing snake over and over and over again

b/c you bounce up and grab the edge if hes recovering at the wall of YI

thatd be ****

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
This is not a new tech, it's something every Falcon mainer should keep in mind when FIGHTING ON THE EDGE!!!!11

I kid, but it's basically what it is lol. A tech is something like the thing Captain Falcon can do with the raptor boost on Yoshi's Island: a huge, HUGE slide. Look it up, man.

But again, your enthusiasm is nice.
Indeed it is. Falcon's up-b is essential not only for recovery, but for his offense as well. I use it off the ledge as a safe way to attack people standing above the ledge frequently. It can also catch Metaknight's up-b if they connect. You gotta have some balls to do that though, haha.

I've been using that raptor boost for a while now. I'm not as much of a noob as I've made myself out to be, haha. I wish you could falcon punch while you were sliding. It would be so epic.

wow thats pro racking damage in a way so simple.
lol thank you

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I may just be an out of place Diddy guy but it does seem like it could be used. Whether or not it has been done before is redundant. He provided a video, explained himself logically, gave a name to an unnamed technique, and pointed it out to the whole community. Good on you shady.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^The problem stands that it's just a b-attack used over and over again, it's no big deal :lol:

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
^The problem stands that it's just a b-attack used over and over again, it's no big deal :lol:
Chain grabs involve simply grabbing over and over again (unless you're using iceclimbers
0.o). Chain grabs are a pretty big deal, lol.

I may just be an out of place Diddy guy but it does seem like it could be used. Whether or not it has been done before is redundant. He provided a video, explained himself logically, gave a name to an unnamed technique, and pointed it out to the whole community. Good on you shady.
Thanks Goose, much appreciated.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
I read the op and all I was thinking was that this is no technique. This can be done to snake, dedede, falcon, ganon, and other characters. It is nothing special.

This is just the Falcon Dive times 3. If we were to name all the moves that come in a row, we would be naming our jabs Falcon's Fists, our uairs Falcon's Killer Loops.

The fact of the matter is that it does not "boosts" anything. Its not a "technique". It is simply mindgames, reading and predicting your opponent's next move to attack.

Falcon lols? Yes :falcon:
New Falcon AT? No :ganondorf:

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
Why are people still commenting on this?

Snake waits for you to up b> airdodges > cypher

GG
It's not that simple. On common legal stages, the blast line is much higher than it is on castle siege. Airdodge=death for snake.

As is the case with anything in Brawl, you can't be predictable. Obviously, trying to do this every single time you leap off the stage is not a good idea. The goal in doing this is to keep Snake (or any other character) as low to the blast line as possible, maybe even stealing his c4 in the process if you can manage. Again, I'd like to point out that I typically do this 2-3 times.

Also, once you've executed a dive with Falcon from underneath the stage (assuming you are facing away from the stage as you dive) you have the option of bailing out. As I'm sure you know, Falcon's up-b is very "wonky" as my friend calls it. It is possible to Falcon dive, from underneath the stage towards the right blastline, and end up back on the stage behind an edgeguarding opponent. I usually always try to keep this option open as a last minute bail out when offensively diving away from the stage.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
This is just the Falcon Dive times 3. If we were to name all the moves that come in a row, we would be naming our jabs Falcon's Fists, our uairs Falcon's Killer Loops.
Yet, we have moves such as the "Captain Corridor" featured in the Falcon Boards Compendium of Knowledge???

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214867

How something as simple as B-airing three times in a row is considered "epic", and how locking someone in consecutive Falcon Dives is not considered useful, is beyond me.

You can change topic titles. Go to edit then click advanced settings or go advanced. One or the other.
Thanks a bunch.

carnivore

Smash Cadet
The corridor thing is featured because its unorthodox and little used. This is obvious and easily baited, results in death if you miss. Not saying its not good on Snake (kill the ******* anyway you can) but you even died in your example video xD.

Plus you named it after yourself, really only ever works if the person doing it has some clout. You obviously don't.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
The corridor thing is featured because its unorthodox and little used. This is obvious and easily baited, results in death if you miss. Not saying its not good on Snake (kill the ******* anyway you can) but you even died in your example video xD.

Plus you named it after yourself, really only ever works if the person doing it has some clout. You obviously don't.
Again,the number of dives in the video is exagerated for demonstration. It is not done that many times in practice (usually). I do die though :p

I've explained that it is up to preference whether one takes up the name or not. Regardless of the name though, expressing the usefulness of the strategy is my goal. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I feel like I benefit from it. I figured some others could.

Unorthodox and little used? I did that myself very shortly after picking up Falcon (not to gloat, it really isn't that crazy). Maybe if I had this "clout", the Shady Dive would be accepted enthusiastically like the "Captain Corridor":chuckle:. Or maybe not, lol. I don't mean to bash the Captain Corridor. It is useful, but it shares the same redundancy as the shady dive in a way. Again, I don't think what I call the Shady Dive is groundbreaking. I just thought it was something some people would find useful, in case they never thought about it.

Thats all I really have to say about it, unless someone has anything to add.. Hope someone finds it useful.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
The Captain Corridor involves some form of technique in your own fingers, that's why people like it. Plus, the ftilt dance looks good, lol.

Top Bottom