• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I've started with The Missing Heir. Three chapters in now; Pretty interesting, though it can kinda slip into the territory of "Cycle through every possible option until something happens.

I do wonder how a potential FDC pack would handle the music. They're pretty nice, but they're certainly not intense fighting BGM material. I think we'd get a lot of remixes, and I'm curious as to how they'd sound.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
TBH my biggest issue with the games is the price, i think these games are way too expensive for how long they are.

Maybe i'm just spoiled by really long RPG's.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Girl Stands Behind is quite solid so far.
More than solid I would say.

TBH my biggest issue with the games is the price, i think these games are way too expensive for how long they are.

Maybe i'm just spoiled by really long RPG's.
Well, the length of the games in my opinion makes up for it's price. Plus we outside of Japan didn't get the games officially until now so who cares if there like $35 bucks.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
More than solid I would say.

Well, the length of the games in my opinion makes up for it's price. Plus we outside of Japan didn't get the games officially until now so who cares if there like $35 bucks.
I feel like i would have prefered it if the games were around 20 dollars instead of 35.

I mean i like the game a lot, it just feels a little rough to pay that much.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I forgot to ask. Does anyone know if the protagonist's name is changeable? Or are you stuck with the default?
Wait, does the protagonist have a canon name? What is it? I usually like to name my namable protagonists the "standard" names instead of my own name (except Pokémon I guess) to sort of make them seem more like their own characters.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Wait, does the protagonist have a canon name? What is it? I usually like to name my namable protagonists the "standard" names instead of my own name (except Pokémon I guess) to sort of make them seem more like their own characters.
I dont think he does lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So what did you guys name your protagonist? I'm not too creative in naming so I just took the names of two different characters from two different popular VNs and came up with Okabe Nanami lol.
I just used my real name, i couldnt think of any names to use.

This is awkward as he main hero is a japanese boy and i'm Latino.

amageish

Smash Master
So what did you guys name your protagonist? I'm not too creative in naming so I just took the names of two different characters from two different popular VNs and came up with Okabe Nanami lol.
I picked Michiya Nakamura based on googling random Japanese names... It was not a nuanced approach.

I've also now finished The Missing Heir. It was very good! I'm impressed...

MattX20

Smash Hero
....why was there a personality test and compatibility thing with Ayumi at the end? Seriously, you're solving a murder of a high school girl, not a damn dating simulator.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I just finished The Missing Heir and I enjoyed it a lot! :D The only real con I have is that there are moments where you fail to activate a flag to continue because you don't do dialogue in the right order or something, which can be a bit annoying.

Still, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, and I recommend the first game to anyone who enjoys murder mysteries, visual novels, point-and-click games, or any of the above. The visuals are also absolutely gorgeous; really puts the visual in visual novel. Note that the game is dark, though, which some moments that could be disturbing.

You will see blood. During the game, one investigates the scene of crimes and looks for clues at and around crime scenes. You will need to scrutinize corpses to progress the story. Suicide is mentioned several times and is a plot point. Also minor trigger warnings for references to tobacco and alcohol.

As an aside, the protagonist is more of a defined character than I was expecting him to be. Maybe Ayumi gets more screen time in the second game, but I was really left feeling like the protagonist was the main character of this one. I could see him being added just as easily as I could see Ayumi, though I would prefer her.

Either way, I'm getting gameplay ideas playing through this, and am having an easier time figuring out what Ayumi might play like. I'm picturing that she would have a magnifying glass on her, which could be used to randomly find items of differing strengths (based on evidence from both games) which could be used to fight. Maybe she could have a basic inventory system with a couple slots that she could pull the evidence she finds from, with her basic attacks becoming stronger the more evidence that she's gathered. Alternatively, maybe it would just be her specials that get stronger. I'll probably solidify my concept more once I've finished the next game.

Also, she seems to have at least three outfits: the school uniform, her first dress in The Missing Heir, and her second pink dress. I could see all of those as alts.

Regardless, I'm getting The Girl Who Stands Behind now and am really looking forward to it! I'm hopeful that Ayumi has more development this time around, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way.
I named mine Taro Yamauchi, the default first name with the last name of Nintendo's founder family. Thought it was fitting.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I didn't realise the name prompt was for the character. I thought it was just for making a save file and used my real name.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
Well I`ve been playing The Girl Who Stands Behind & let me tell you i`m really enjoying it so far. The story gets really intense as you progress & i really love the game`s 8-bit style music. I`m on Chapter 6 right now so i`m close to finishing it also Ayumi looks so cute in the game :love:. I bet The Missing Heir will be just as good once i download it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just finished The Missing Heir.

Was really engaged in the story and am looking forward to starting The Girl Who Stands Behind.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, you guys recall there's a third game that was released for the Satellaview service for the Super Famicom, right? How likely do you think it would be for that game to be remade also?
Would Nintendo even still have the original files for it tho?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, you guys recall there's a third game that was released for the Satellaview service for the Super Famicom, right? How likely do you think it would be for that game to be remade also?
possible but it was 3 chapters long so they may need to pad it

amageish

Smash Master
so how do feel about taro as and alt?
That'd be neat (though I'd hope they'd give him a less placeholder-feeling last name then Ninten). The protagonist ended up being far more of a person then I expected given the pre-release discussion and the discourse about the original game led me to believe. He is a really likeable dude! I'm impressed, honestly. Even if he wasn't a full alt, I'd kind of hope he'd at least have a Chrom-to-Robin-esque role, popping up for the Final Smash and maybe recreating cover art poses with her in the Victory Screens.

If these remakes do really well, then maybe? The nice thing about MAGES doing the remakes is that the franchise isn't directly taking up internal Nintendo development resources, which probably would make it easier to justify continuing to make the games even if they don't sell amazingly.

If they were interested in making original Famicom Detective games, then I could see them maybe bundling that game with 2-3 new cases, as it doesn't sound long enough to carry itself.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
That'd be neat (though I'd hope they'd give him a less placeholder-feeling last name then Ninten). The protagonist ended up being far more of a person then I expected given the pre-release discussion and the discourse about the original game led me to believe. He is a really likeable dude! I'm impressed, honestly. Even if he wasn't a full alt, I'd kind of hope he'd at least have a Chrom-to-Robin-esque role, popping up for the Final Smash and maybe recreating cover art poses with her in the Victory Screens.

If these remakes do really well, then maybe? The nice thing about MAGES doing the remakes is that the franchise isn't directly taking up internal Nintendo development resources, which probably would make it easier to justify continuing to make the games even if they don't sell amazingly.

If they were interested in making original Famicom Detective games, then I could see them maybe bundling that game with 2-3 new cases, as it doesn't sound long enough to carry itself.
You don't think He'd be chosen over Ayumi do you?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, while I haven't beaten the Missing Heir yet, I can at least say what I consider my biggest complaint with the games is: the obtuse nature of getting the next clues or next part of the investigation. When you have to redo conversations regarding the suspects and witnesses constantly, showing items, and looking/examining for something with no clear idea of where to go, it gets really annoying quickly. The Ace Attorney series definitely had this issue minimized and you didn't feel like you were stuck in a never-ending maze for the most part wondering what you could've missed or why you can't talk to a person even though you've done pretty much everything else.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, while I haven't beaten the Missing Heir yet, I can at least say what I consider my biggest complaint with the games is: the obtuse nature of getting the next clues or next part of the investigation. When you have to redo conversations regarding the suspects and witnesses constantly, showing items, and looking/examining for something with no clear idea of where to go, it gets really annoying quickly. The Ace Attorney series definitely had this issue minimized and you didn't feel like you were stuck in a never-ending maze for the most part wondering what you could've missed or why you can't talk to a person even though you've done pretty much everything else.
no that definitely happened multiple times in AA

Top Bottom