• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Ayumi's heavy metal interest isn't mentioned in the Japanese website from what I can tell, the Japanese website also has a bunch of short bios for everyone instead of the two longer bios for the protagonist and Ayumi that the English website has... So, I don't find it particularly weird that they didn't choose to highlight her hobbies on the Japanese website.

It's also maybe worth noting that the heavy metal thing is only mentioned on the English page for The Missing Heir, not The Girl Who Stands Behind, once she's already grown up a bit and is taking a more confidant role in the story.
What? I never knew this. Ayumi's cooler than I previously thought. That's awesome.

amageish

Smash Master
If Ayumi does have a shot, we'll have to keep our eyes open for any spirit events as that would be the main thing that could deconfirm her before E3. Keep your eyes peeled on the Japanese Smash Twitter account in particular as that is where the new spirit events and tournaments are announced almost always every Tuesday evening https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP
Far more tenuous, but I'm also a bit curious if Sakurai will make any public statements about the remakes. He's been known to use his Famitsu collumn to fanboy about things like he likes before, so we'll see if he does so for FDC...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Far more tenuous, but I'm also a bit curious if Sakurai will make any public statements about the remakes. He's been known to use his Famitsu column to fanboy about things like he likes before, so we'll see if he does so for FDC...
If he does, he'd more than likely save it for after her confirmation if she were planned.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I was doing some web surfing earlier today to see if the FDC remakes would come out physically (sadly not in North America nyehhhhh) and how the whole deal with one game being 10 dollars off if you buy both works. The thought occurred to me that this game comes out in like three days, and I want to know what the spoiler policy will be for this thread? Since y'know it's a visual novel and the plot is quite important to come as a surprise. Yeah it's easy to say big endgame spoilers should be put in spoiler text, but do we have any organized system for that? Like a certain length of time when spoilers will be lifted or what counts as safe "early game" spoilers?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Good news, no spirit board event this week.

amageish

Smash Master
I was doing some web surfing earlier today to see if the FDC remakes would come out physically (sadly not in North America nyehhhhh) and how the whole deal with one game being 10 dollars off if you buy both works. The thought occurred to me that this game comes out in like three days, and I want to know what the spoiler policy will be for this thread? Since y'know it's a visual novel and the plot is quite important to come as a surprise. Yeah it's easy to say big endgame spoilers should be put in spoiler text, but do we have any organized system for that? Like a certain length of time when spoilers will be lifted or what counts as safe "early game" spoilers?
Personally, I tend to go on the safe side and will put all story-y things not revealed in trailers already in spoiler tabs...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Looks like we might be in business...
for smash 6

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Looks like we might be in business...
Thats not too bad seeing as western reviewers especially big name ones like Gamespot and IGN. Tend to be biased against Japanese games with an anime aesthetic(the more cute the more bias).

USUALLY, said reviewers, especially IGN and gamespot, only give Japanese games high marks if it meets the follow catagories.

Is a game from a Super Famous IP and/or super famous game developer/company. Examples include: Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, animal crossing, final fantasy, Sonic, street fighter etc.

Is a game that is basically a Western Game made in Japan or atleast a game that is a love letter to western games or western culture. Examples include: monster hunter, Demon Souls, Metal Gear, Vanquish etc.

A game that is dark and edgy and or super violent. Examples include Persona, SMT, No More Heroes, Bayonetta, Catherine. Etc.

There are some exceptions but this generally is the case.

amageish

Smash Master
Good Vibes Gaming did a review on the new games.

"This kind of design was common for visual novels in the late 80s."

But... Visual novels were invented in the early 90s...

What is genre... Why is genre... How do we define genre...

In all seriousness, the reviews are all seeming pretty good and fair! GVG's review is especially well-researched lol. I'm not surprised to hear that the UI is a sticking point for a lot of people; it didn't seem like they were changing much at all from the originals and obviously there have been advancements made in this field since the 1980s. As long as the story is good, I'm happy!

It's also interesting to hear Ayumi being singled-out as a standout Nintendo character. Definitely good to hear too!

amageish

Smash Master
do they mean in just these games or the whole wide cast?
"Her own development from a victim in the Girl Who Stands Behind to a hero in The Missing Heir makes her one of the most interesting characters Nintendo has ever come up with. ... Maybe Sakurai was onto something when he wanted to make her a playable character in Smash after all."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"Her own development from a victim in the Girl Who Stands Behind to a hero in The Missing Heir makes her one of the most interesting characters Nintendo has ever come up with. ... Maybe Sakurai was onto something when he wanted to make her a playable character in Smash after all."
Well it probably helps that she’s from one of Nintendo’s few story driven characters

still I’m looking forward to finally seeing her in her games

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I heard the games are getting positive reviews. So the big question for me is, which game should I buy and play first? I don't have enough money to get both at launch. https://www.strawpoll.me/45264957
I think either could work. Chronologically, it goes The Girl Who Stand Behind, then The Missing Heir, but they were released in the opposite order. I think they were intended to be played in either order.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
So I heard the games are getting positive reviews. So the big question for me is, which game should I buy and play first? I don't have enough money to get both at launch. https://www.strawpoll.me/45264957
My philosophy is always play/watch media by order of release if that's at all possible! Sure maybe you can only get your hands on later entries for some reason, like not having the right hardware or the early stuff being too rare. But in this case, they're coming out at the same time for the same price on the same console, I'd totally recommend everyone play The Missing Heir first.

Top Bottom