• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This one here. It oozes "MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COST" She's also voiced by Yuko Minaguchi (Videl in Dragon Ball, Momiji in Ninja Gaiden), which pushes the cuteness factor BEYOND THE LIMITS.

... Am I simping too much? :dizzy:
Don't worry, simping is par for the course when it comes to fictional characters.

Just... make sure she's at least legal, okay?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This one here. It oozes "MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COST" She's also voiced by Yuko Minaguchi (Videl in Dragon Ball, Momiji in Ninja Gaiden), which pushes the cuteness factor BEYOND THE LIMITS.

... Am I simping too much? :dizzy:
the vibe im getting is she about to clobber us with those books

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, simping is par for the course when it comes to fictional characters.

Just... make sure she's at least legal, okay?
Don't worry, I save the waifu-ism **** to the likes of Byleth and Mythra, Ayumi looks too pure for this kind of stuff (emphasis on "looks", that's all I know about her right now lol)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Here are two tweets from Nintendo possibly answering the stage question.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Joncomms joining the Ayumi train

MattX20

Smash Hero

Well, I suppose if we do get one more 1st party pick (not counting the supposed bonus pick that may or may not happen), Ayumi does have more to go with than most

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I suppose if we do get one more 1st party pick (not counting the supposed bonus pick that may or may not happen), Ayumi does have more to go with than most
i think many of us could think of someone theyd say the same of who it didnt work out for

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So what would Ayumi's victory screen cutscenes be?
A reenactment of the game's cutscenes would actually be quite cool, it's probably one of the core things about visual novel but I feel like with the remake cutscene being a moving image that really break the uniqueness to actually be an exclusive to Smash.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Jon's always been for gaming (and Nintendo) history picks and also tends to support the introduction of new genres into Smash, so I'm not too surprised to see him support it.

I have noticed Famicom Detective has become kind of emblematic of the Nintendo fan divide on Twitter, with a lot of big more "Gaming History"-oriented YouTubers/personalities like Jon Cartwright, Shesez, and Pushdustin discussing how it (and other smaller/nicher Nintendo projects) shouldn't be slept on or dismissed as shovelware, especially noting how people (including other YouTubers) are perfectly willing to ignore the games while simultaneously claiming Nintendo never takes risks and never does anything out of the core few IPs.

I don't think we should, like, tie people down and force them to play Famicom Detecitve or anything, but it's an interesting point to think about...

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I feel like it's funny that everyone unironically tweeted "who asked?" on every new game/project Nintendo made and then complain about "when will Prime 4 and BotW 2 announced?" or just straight up surprised. I know that it is supposed to be a joke but that joke literally representing the general part of the Nintendo community. I'm just glad that Nintendo are not bound to just releasing home console game like other company and always favor creativity in their product, I mean we already got Labo, Ring Fit and New Pokemon Snap where they utilize the joycon in various ways and we literally got 2 game creation game, the last thing I remember Sony do these kind of things is the recent VR and Little Big Planet.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Already talked about it in the main thread, but I think it's worth bringing up here:
So I swung by the eShop page for the FDC remakes, and uh...
View attachment 314027

...So that's how an FDC rep would fight.

And before anyone asks, this is still the case in the prequel, meaning karate and naginata skills are consistent parts of the MC and Ayumi's characterization.
View attachment 314028
Nothing about heavy metal for Ayumi though. Must've developed that between games.

Character development! :4pacman:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
The heavy metal one threw me off, it may be because we never got a fan translation of the first game but I'm not actually aware if that was ever brought up before.
Well, now we know she can do a killer headbang as a taunt in Smash!
And how the music (or at least her own theme song) should sound like.

...What do you mean it doesn't fit? Oh I get it, it needs to be heavier, right? :upsidedown:

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
So she wasn't mentioned as being a naginata user in the original names I take it? Interesting
I wonder how much of that fighting style would go into her moveset over the wacky stuff people usually come up when it comes to a non-fighter because it comes directly from the game. I usually don't like these type of fighter and was ready to make an exception for Ayumi through the power of simping, but knowing she not only can fight but also uses a weapon we don't have yet in Smash changes everything - like when I found out that Professor Layton is a anime swordfighter.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind the more goofy ideas as I think her just being a normal high school girl without any powers would actually help make her stand out as a unique fighter. They could also use the opportunity to implement mechanics that represent the fact she's from a visual novel/adventure game. She could potentially have a naginata for a move or two, or even a taunt/victory pose, but I don't think her fighting entirely with it represents her character well with it not really being that important in the game itself and her fitting more under the "detective" archetype.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't mind the more goofy ideas as I think her just being a normal high school girl without any powers would actually help make her stand out as a unique fighter. They could also use the opportunity to implement mechanics that represent the fact she's from a visual novel/adventure game. She could potentially have a naginata for a move or two, or even a taunt/victory pose, but I don't think her fighting entirely with it represents her character well with it not really being that important in the game itself and her fitting more under the "detective" archetype.
Yeah, I'd imagine the naginata would probably be reserved for a special, if anything. Maybe something like Dancing Blade, where after the initial attack you can follow up with another input, though I'd make it only one followup for each direction rather than a four-hit combo chain.

More than anything I'm just surprised to see that listed for a grounded detective VN. Had to double-check the eShop to confirm that's an actual thing.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd imagine the naginata would probably be reserved for a special, if anything. Maybe something like Dancing Blade, where after the initial attack you can follow up with another input, though I'd make it only one followup for each direction rather than a four-hit combo chain.

More than anything I'm just surprised to see that listed for a grounded detective VN. Had to double-check the eShop to confirm that's an actual thing.
I don't recall if it was ever brought up in part 2, let alone the player seeing her actually use one. But it'd be a neat reference for those who actually looked into the character bios.

amageish

Smash Master
I imagine Ayumi's specials would be her more investigation-y moves. Actually, this cursor-themed attack animated with Professor Layton in mind could work perfectly for her...

Her naginata seems like a Smash attack thing to me, if they used it. They could give her trick smash attacks a la the Animal Crossing characters, but I feel like it'd be sillier to have her charging up a briefcase attack then it is for Villager charging up fireworks. Naginata could help make the part of the kit a bit easier, with the jabs being the more silly/this-normal-item-is-a-weapon-now attacks.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm not really the type of guy to play visual novel but hearing that she is proficient with a naginata brings the more silly side of the game, tho even if we never got to see her I can see that considering that doesn't add anything to the current murder mystery plot. I would really be happy if the remake include a post game scenario where we got to see the everyday life of each character. Although I'm guessing her training in naginata is part of an extracurricular activity that present in Japan, reminds of the time where I just found out that Shirou Emiya from Fate Stay Night used to practice archery.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Jon's always been for gaming (and Nintendo) history picks and also tends to support the introduction of new genres into Smash, so I'm not too surprised to see him support it.

I have noticed Famicom Detective has become kind of emblematic of the Nintendo fan divide on Twitter, with a lot of big more "Gaming History"-oriented YouTubers/personalities like Jon Cartwright, Shesez, and Pushdustin discussing how it (and other smaller/nicher Nintendo projects) shouldn't be slept on or dismissed as shovelware, especially noting how people (including other YouTubers) are perfectly willing to ignore the games while simultaneously claiming Nintendo never takes risks and never does anything out of the core few IPs.

I don't think we should, like, tie people down and force them to play Famicom Detecitve or anything, but it's an interesting point to think about...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Shesez replied to PushDustin disagreeing with him about the role influencers play in Nintendo discussion (arguing that many Nintendo YouTubers feel trapped by the algorithm and pressured to cover mainstream things over niche things because, like, they need to get views and make money) and I felt like I should link that here as I directly compared Push's tweets today to Shesez's tweets yesterday lamenting general fan feedback to Famicom Detective, when they obviously aren't entirely in agreement.

I'll also give my personal take: Having taste in genre is obviously fine and I don't think anyone has to cover Famicom Detective or the Game Garage or what-have-you if they are a Nintendo YouTuber, whether they are skipping games out of disinterest or out of concerns that covering such games would result in wasting time making videos that underperform.

That said, my problem comes from when Nintendo content creators who dismiss the existence of nicher Nintendo products while also making content specifically about how Nintendo is too stagnant, going through a drought, needs new ideas, etc etc. That feels like it's just misreprsenting reality for clickbait and I find it annoying!

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

But there is some evidence that it was only planned to be released overseas in the last couple months.
It's all circumstantial but still

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
But there is some evidence that it was only planned to be released overseas in the last couple months.
What evidence? It doesn't make sense that a game as high quality as FDC could ever be considered for a non-release outside of Japan these days. It aint the 90's - 00's anymore.

amageish

Smash Master
I think it's kind of hard to tell, as the evidence both for it having not been planned for localization and the evidence for it having been planned from the beginning are... kind of the same evidence?

Visual novels are hard to localize, obviously. That's a lot of text to translate and they often include cultural things that can be difficult to naturally work in explanations for and definitions of for when presenting games for an international audience. They take time and they don't sell amazingly (at least relative to most other genres), so it's not hard to imagine Nintendo choosing to skip localizing it. Heck, Miyamoto in July 2019 (shortly before Famicom Detective Club's remake was first announced) publicly commented on the cost and challenge of localizing "adventure games" (which I guess is now considered a VN sub-genre in spite of being a genre that existed for years before the "invention" of VNs, but whatever). So, I get being skeptical that the localization was always planned.

On the other hand, given the challenges of localizing this genre, the idea that this was a side-project only taken up because of the pandemic is... also hard to believe? Coordination of a simultaneous global release for a game like this would be a metric tonne of work, even with the game being digital-only and not having an English dub. It's hard to imagine it could happen without planning from, if not the beginning of development, shortly thereafter with translators working simultaneously with the game's development. Basically, all the reasons not to localize it are related to it being hard to localize and only make the idea of a quick localization on the fly sound even less likely...

So, yeah, idk! Maybe Miyamoto's comment to "not give up hope" after discussing the challenges of localizing this sort of game was because he knew that an adventure game with a worldwide release was coming up soon (it is kind of interesting he said this at all right before the game's original Japan-only announcement). Maybe there was no plans to localize it and plans just changed later. I don't know and it's really hard to say.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I think you're very much underestimating how big of a task it is to translate a visual novel. Not just translating it but also implementing it into the game itself. If it was easy enough to do in just a couple months for 8-10 hour games with just about nothing but text, we'd have a lot less games stuck in Japan.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I hate it when people don't want to play a game because it's too Japanese and I feel like the crowd that thinks that way will totally ignore Famicom Detective Club just because it's too Japanese per say which is a ridiculous mindset to have. I remember telling some people about the underrated Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series and some folks kind of ignored it because it was "Too Japanese". I remember telling one forum I wanted to learn Kanji so I could understand and play the Japan only Goemon games and they called me a weep for saying that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i never thought i would see the day where Ayumi would start being a heavy topic in smashboards you guys are almost reaching 40 pages and it surprised me that people do actually care about her
Well, she was considered for the Retro slot in Melee but didn't get in because of Sakurai thinking westerners wouldn't recognize her. Now her games are finally coming to the west and that barrier isn't a issue anymore.

Top Bottom