• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
no it was smash that brought them to the west
Smash probably helped but I don't think that's the only factor. Advanced wars a similar strategy game being a smash hit prior to FE's western release was also a probably a factor. Lord of the Rings was HUGE in those days as well and Nintendo wanted to cash in on it's success and Fire Emblem is kind of sorta Lord of the Ringish if you squint REALLY hard.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
From what we know, FE was also a popular request from fans at the time so I imagine that played a large role in them getting prioritized.
Plus, FE was an ongoing franchise from one of Nintendo's closest development partners (seriously, Intelligent Systems has either made or supported development on a Nintendo game every year since 1983), while Ayumi would have been one among many potential retro throwbacks...

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
I`m happy to see that Ayumi is being heavily focused now on this site. I believe she`s that sleeper pick that most people are unaware of. Also i`ve just downloaded The Girl Who Stands Behind on my Switch so i can`t wait to play it once it releases.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Smash probably helped but I don't think that's the only factor. Advanced wars a similar strategy game being a smash hit prior to FE's western release was also a probably a factor. Lord of the Rings was HUGE in those days as well and Nintendo wanted to cash in on it's success and Fire Emblem is kind of sorta Lord of the Ringish if you squint REALLY hard.
ok but it still wasnt the fact that they were being brought to the west that got them in smash it happened after

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I`m happy to see that Ayumi is being heavily focused now on this site. I believe she`s that sleeper pick that most people are unaware of. Also i`ve just downloaded The Girl Who Stands Behind on my Switch so i can`t wait to play it once it releases.
Yes, she definitly has a good shot but lets not go around the internet and brag about how shes a shoe in like Skull Kid, Geno and Crash fans did. Lets keep it on the down low. Let people be shocked if she is announced.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yes, she definitly has a good shot but lets not go around the internet and brag about how shes a shoe in like Skull Kid, Geno and Crash fans did. Lets keep it on the down low. Let people be shocked if she is announced.
Essentially, don’t make people hate your character. Please? Seriously these types of fans drove me to not want Crash and hate Geno.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Essentially, don’t make people hate your character. Please? Seriously these types of fans drove me to not want Crash and hate Geno.
Ayumi is already an underdog in Smash, usually not being the most wanted and 1st party so the chances of someone ruining her reputation is there, I feel annoyed with Hayabusa and their "fans" so I hope it won't happen like ever.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I never treat any characters I support or follow in terms of speculation as guarantees or shoe-ins. There are always factors that can hold them back. That, and as a Geno fan, I thought he was likely based on how stingy Square was with FF in particular combined with the fact his Mii Costume didn't show up with the DQ heroes. However, as Sephiroth proves, there are alternative answers you have to keep your eyes open for.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Of the characters that did make it in, i found K. Rool and Banjo fans the most infuriating.

As an Ashley fan i was upset when many of her fans engaged in that behavior, though not nearly as much as the charcters i previously mentioned. That episode made me really hope Ayumi fans dont do the same. I already saw a few ayumi fans flirt with kicking the behive on gamefaqs. Fortunatly the bees didnt sting as much as I thought.

I want her odds to be kept underwrap and then have everyone be shocked if she is announced

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Let's not turn this thread into just complaining about the behavior of other fandoms (even if it's complaining about the how other fandoms complain)!

That said, yeah, if Ayumi gets in, then I hope people wouldn't be awful to non-fans about it. I'm sure people generally would be salty - she's a first-party that I'm sure would be dismissed as a promotional shill pick - but there's a difference between acknowledging her history and the merits of her inclusion and, like, just dunking on people who didn't get what they wanted...

I also don't really think there's much benefit in trying to convince people any character is a 100%-basically-confirmed lock, as all that'll really do is make people who don't want that character preemptively salty and increase the salt output from people who do want that character if they don't get in...

Personally, at this point, I think there's a giant pool of "logical" picks and it's really just a matter of what Nintendo is prioritizing, so I'm not too hopeful or pessimistic about any individual character...

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Speaking of fans... Now I'm getting curious as to the type of fandom the FDC games proper will create. Outside of just Smash. Visual novels do have a history of founding some pretty odd fandoms, but in like an endearing way most of the time. We'll probably see like a lot of ships and fanfic and stuff when the games come out lmao

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of fans... Now I'm getting curious as to the type of fandom the FDC games proper will create. Outside of just Smash. Visual novels do have a history of founding some pretty odd fandoms, but in like an endearing way most of the time. We'll probably see like a lot of ships and fanfic and stuff when the games come out lmao
they have?

amageish

Smash Master
Hopefully the fanbase is just, uh, a little more spoiler-sensitive then a lot of VN fanbases are lol.

We'll probably see like a lot of ships and fanfic and stuff when the games come out lmao
Also, yeah, probably going to be a lot of fan content. I may be part of the problem there... It currently doesn't seem to have an AO3 tag; I wonder how long that'll last...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Hopefully the fanbase is just, uh, a little more spoiler-sensitive then a lot of VN fanbases are lol.

Also, yeah, probably going to be a lot of fan content. I may be part of the problem there... It currently doesn't seem to have an AO3 tag; I wonder how long that'll last...
Wow seriously? Dang and I thought pretty much everything got an AO3 tag lol

amageish

Smash Master
Wow seriously? Dang and I thought pretty much everything got an AO3 tag lol
Apparently neither Famicom Detective or Ayumi Tachibana has had any fanworks there yet, though it's also possible it's just scattered enough that no mod has bothered to find and tag it? I'm guessing that'll change within a week of the game being out in English though, if someone doesn't pre-emptively make it a tag just because it's a new Nintendo game that targets a fanworks-heavy audience...

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Apparently neither Famicom Detective or Ayumi Tachibana has had any fanworks there yet, though it's also possible it's just scattered enough that no mod has bothered to find and tag it? I'm guessing that'll change within a week of the game being out in English though, if someone doesn't pre-emptively make it a tag just because it's a new Nintendo game that targets a fanworks-heavy audience...
I commissioned two artworks for Ayumi I posted one on this thread but then someone stole it to use for their youtube video. I was upset so I only posted the 2nd one for two days before I took it down. I doubt I'd ever post either of them again. I also regret only ordering half bodies. I wish I ordered full body artwork.

EDIT: Also, Does Ayumi really like Heavy Metal Music or is that something NOA made up?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: Also, Does Ayumi really like Heavy Metal Music or is that something NOA made up?
I took a look at Ayumi's bio in the manual of the first game as well as the official sites for both, the SFC remake and the two Switch remakes and unless I missed something, I didn't see single mention of her music taste, nor a single mention of her Naginata skills come to think of it. Just the usual of her being your assistant in the detective agency/high school girl working with you to solve her friend's death, depending on the game.

Maybe it's something that will come up in the first game, I dunno. But I couldn't find anything in any of her official bios. Though granted, I didn't look that hard either as I don't want to accidentally stumble over spoilers.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I took a look at Ayumi's bio in the manual of the first game as well as the official sites for both, the SFC remake and the two Switch remakes and unless I missed something, I didn't see single mention of her music taste, nor a single mention of her Naginata skills come to think of it. Just the usual of her being your assistant in the detective agency/high school girl working with you to solve her friend's death, depending on the game.

Maybe it's something that will come up in the first game, I dunno. But I couldn't find anything in any of her official bios. Though granted, I didn't look that hard either as I don't want to accidentally stumble over spoilers.
I think the Naginata thing is true due to this photo from one of the earlier games.

IMG_20210223_002357.jpg

However, I am worried that NOA just invented the Heavy metal thing out of thin air. There is a disturbing trend in USA Media to turn Tender girls into tough girls in sequels and remakes even if it's contrary to their character. I am still fuming over what they did to Amy Rose in the Sonic Boom TV show(and knuckles as well).

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
amy's been aggressive for years. knuckles was defiantly dumber than usual
Yes, she had the occasional temper but she was always a tender kind hearted girl who loved sonic. In boom they made her into merely a Female version of Sonic(without the coolness factor). And knuckles they turned into your stereotypical dumb jock character(although he was hilarious at times).

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yes, she had the occasional temper but she was always a tender kind hearted girl who loved sonic. In boom they made her into merely a Female version of Sonic(without the coolness factor). And knuckles they turned into your stereotypical dumb jock character(although he was hilarious at times).
Yeah. Because Boom was a far more comedic series and making Amy not be childishly attracted to Sonic leads to better comedy since the main 5 characters lived together.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well I only watched the one series and I mostly remember how cute tails was

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Because Boom was a far more comedic series and making Amy not be childishly attracted to Sonic leads to better comedy since the main 5 characters lived together.
Amy's attraction to sonic wasnt anymore "childish" than nearly every romance ever.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It makes me excited to see how the Famicom Detective Club fandom in the west will evolve after the remakes come out here in the next few days. Hopefully more people will push for Ayumi to make it into Smash if she doesn't make it into Ultimate.

amageish

Smash Master
While Ayumi's heavy metal interest isn't mentioned in the Japanese website from what I can tell, the Japanese website also has a bunch of short bios for everyone instead of the two longer bios for the protagonist and Ayumi that the English website has... So, I don't find it particularly weird that they didn't choose to highlight her hobbies on the Japanese website.

It's also maybe worth noting that the heavy metal thing is only mentioned on the English page for The Missing Heir, not The Girl Who Stands Behind, once she's already grown up a bit and is taking a more confidant role in the story.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's not turn this thread into just complaining about the behavior of other fandoms (even if it's complaining about the how other fandoms complain)!

That said, yeah, if Ayumi gets in, then I hope people wouldn't be awful to non-fans about it. I'm sure people generally would be salty - she's a first-party that I'm sure would be dismissed as a promotional shill pick - but there's a difference between acknowledging her history and the merits of her inclusion and, like, just dunking on people who didn't get what they wanted...

I also don't really think there's much benefit in trying to convince people any character is a 100%-basically-confirmed lock, as all that'll really do is make people who don't want that character preemptively salty and increase the salt output from people who do want that character if they don't get in...

Personally, at this point, I think there's a giant pool of "logical" picks and it's really just a matter of what Nintendo is prioritizing, so I'm not too hopeful or pessimistic about any individual character...
I'm pretty sure people would be kinder to her since she's not an FE character and seemingly not a sword user, so she wouldn't get the massive amount of hatred Byleth got.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure people would be kinder to her since she's not an FE character and seemingly not a sword user, so she wouldn't get the massive amount of hatred Byleth got.
KindER than a FE or Sword user is still pretty bad...

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
True, but I'm thinking more ARMS/Min-Min level of salt/negativity. The first-party picks that many general fans find underwhelming as they had expectations of huge third parties while simultaneously many first-party fans get annoyed that the first-parties selected weren't the ones they wanted...

Min Min didn't get the initial backlash of Byleth, but she still trends on Twitter like once a month as people discuss their desire to remove her from the roster or to generally just complain about her.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
True, but I'm thinking more ARMS/Min-Min level of salt/negativity. The first-party picks that many general fans find underwhelming as they had expectations of huge third parties while simultaneously many first-party fans get annoyed that the first-parties selected weren't the ones they wanted...

Min Min didn't get the initial backlash of Byleth, but she still trends on Twitter like once a month as people discuss their desire to remove her from the roster or to generally just complain about her.
people are always looking for something to complain about. i wonder if they use the "included for a flimsy reason" logic

Top Bottom