• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

amageish

Smash Master
You don't think He'd be chosen over Ayumi do you?
I don't think so, no. The DLC was planned as the remakes were being developed and Ayumi was definitely the safer choice at that point. She's been the face of the franchise and is the standout character Japanese players retained positive memories of, with the remake adding more personality and making him actually... a full-fledged likeable character.

That said, I guess it'd be possible if next game they're looking for a Famicom Detective rep and he continues to be important in sequels? Protagonist would need time to build up a fanbase of his own, especially given that the third game just cut him out and had you play as Ayumi herself.

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
Found these remixes of the Investigation theme from The Missing Heir.

Really like the tempo here for Smash it has a lot more of an action feeling.
Though the jazz arrangements (I think they're official) in the first post of this and the Title theme of The Girl Who Stands Behind would fit too they're pretty good remixes!

Last edited:

Treked

Smash Cadet
NNID
3DS FC
4296-3633-4104
Switch FC
SW-3184-5921-0328
If the wikipedia article i read is right the plot of the third game was Ayumi going solo on a case involving her mother.

And the voice actress who plays her in the remake is the same actor who played her in that game.
Videl and Yugi resolving crimes xd
Minute 24:16

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, the third game is a lot of Ayumi backstory from her PoV. It'd be nice if they made that game legally playable in some form eventually, even if it doesn't get the full remake treatment.

Videl and Yugi resolving crimes xd
Minute 24:16
That's a very good video that is worth watching for the history of the series!

Also, for reference, you aren't supposed to post two posts in a row on a thread within 24 hours of your original post.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I just finished The Girl Who Stands Behind! I enjoyed both of the games, but they definitely had different strengths and weaknesses.
The Missing Heir has several more murder scenes, and I really enjoyed getting to look for clues at the crime scene and on the body, even if it's a bit dark. I enjoyed the variety of environments that you got to explore in this game, as well.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I felt like the twist came a bit out of nowhere, though I recognize that the timing of when he leaves for his trip was a clue. He seemed too sincere, and after replaying the beginning shortly, it didn't feel like there was any indication at all that he had ulterior motives. I also didn't even recognize the character that saved me being killed by the villain at the end until I paused to reread my notes. I know he made a brief appearance, but it felt like a cop out. The story was good, but that one twist felt half-baked.

The progression was occasionally obtuse in The Missing Heir, but I didn't struggle with that so much in the second game.

The Girl Who Stands Behind definitely felt like it was a better developed narrative, and the characters were well-done. The fake out in the middle was a bit strange, but not awful. I missed the crime scene investigations, and it definitely felt held back by being set entirely in the school, but it made up for it by having a lot fewer moments where I was left feeling stuck and confused.

I liked the ending much, much better than the first game's. While I suspected the principle from the start, I definitely got the exact details of it wrong. I thought there was something fishy about the teacher, but I couldn't piece it together until right at the end.

The mirror having the girl's body behind it managed to be surprising while still having plenty of evidence pointing towards it, and was a more natural way to distract the villain. I also liked how it managed to leave it vague whether the ghost was real or not.

That said, I hated the compatibility thing with Ayumi at the end. It felt super, super shoehorned in and undermined the character. I felt like Ayumi was better developed as a character in this game, but their incessant push to make her the player's waifu left an awful taste in my mouth. I get that the player character has their own motivations, but it was obnoxious to have that pushed on me.

I'm not sure which game I liked more. The Girl Who Stands Behind had an easier story to follow, and its ending was far, far better. But The Missing Heir had better environments and more compelling characters that often fell into morally gray areas.

Overall, I liked both games a lot, though I'm left wanting more from the series. I would love to see either an expansion of the third game in the series or an entirely new game that lasts longer. The games weren't as long as I would have preferred, though I liked being able to explore two different stories. Then again, I played the games nonstop and probably shortened the experience for myself in the process. I just couldn't put them down.

I have a lot of ideas for potential movesets, but I'm honestly left wondering why Sakurai considered Ayumi and not the protagonist back in the Melee days. The protagonist is very much the driving force of the stories, even if Ayumi is more involved in The Girl Who Stands Behind. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him added instead of her. I still prefer the idea of having Ayumi, especially considering that the protagonist is another blue-haired anime guy. It's superficial of me, but I'm more drawn to the aesthetic difference that Ayumi would bring.

I'm thinking of both a mechanic where you search locations with a magnifying glass to get items/evidence and another where you get "notes" from choosing actions on a menu, maybe during a command grab. I'll keep mulling over the idea and will let you all know what I come up with.

amageish

Smash Master
I find it kinda strange that Nintendo has kept this series alive in Japan by only porting the first 2 games to stuff like the GBA and later the virtual console, yet never once thought to make more entries beyond the Satellaview one.
As the SourceGaming video Treked posted suggests, I think it was probably just an issue of not having a team for it. The group that made the originals all kind of went in different directions and Sakamoto has been busy doing everything from Metroid to Rhythm Heaven to... the Tomodachi games, for some reason? Most Nintendo IPs that get consistent releases, in spite of relative nicheness, have a team that is (i) consistently present and (ii) consistently able to make that IP while also juggling something more profitable too. Famicom Detective would have, before MAGES got involved, had to have been taken on my Nintendo themselves and they just have a lot of stuff to make that are more profitable worldwide and less costly to translate.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just finished The Girl Who Stands Behind! I enjoyed both of the games, but they definitely had different strengths and weaknesses.
The Missing Heir has several more murder scenes, and I really enjoyed getting to look for clues at the crime scene and on the body, even if it's a bit dark. I enjoyed the variety of environments that you got to explore in this game, as well.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. I felt like the twist came a bit out of nowhere, though I recognize that the timing of when he leaves for his trip was a clue. He seemed too sincere, and after replaying the beginning shortly, it didn't feel like there was any indication at all that he had ulterior motives. I also didn't even recognize the character that saved me being killed by the villain at the end until I paused to reread my notes. I know he made a brief appearance, but it felt like a cop out. The story was good, but that one twist felt half-baked.

The progression was occasionally obtuse in The Missing Heir, but I didn't struggle with that so much in the second game.

The Girl Who Stands Behind definitely felt like it was a better developed narrative, and the characters were well-done. The fake out in the middle was a bit strange, but not awful. I missed the crime scene investigations, and it definitely felt held back by being set entirely in the school, but it made up for it by having a lot fewer moments where I was left feeling stuck and confused.

I liked the ending much, much better than the first game's. While I suspected the principle from the start, I definitely got the exact details of it wrong. I thought there was something fishy about the teacher, but I couldn't piece it together until right at the end.

The mirror having the girl's body behind it managed to be surprising while still having plenty of evidence pointing towards it, and was a more natural way to distract the villain. I also liked how it managed to leave it vague whether the ghost was real or not.

That said, I hated the compatibility thing with Ayumi at the end. It felt super, super shoehorned in and undermined the character. I felt like Ayumi was better developed as a character in this game, but their incessant push to make her the player's waifu left an awful taste in my mouth. I get that the player character has their own motivations, but it was obnoxious to have that pushed on me.

I'm not sure which game I liked more. The Girl Who Stands Behind had an easier story to follow, and its ending was far, far better. But The Missing Heir had better environments and more compelling characters that often fell into morally gray areas.

Overall, I liked both games a lot, though I'm left wanting more from the series. I would love to see either an expansion of the third game in the series or an entirely new game that lasts longer. The games weren't as long as I would have preferred, though I liked being able to explore two different stories. Then again, I played the games nonstop and probably shortened the experience for myself in the process. I just couldn't put them down.

I have a lot of ideas for potential movesets, but I'm honestly left wondering why Sakurai considered Ayumi and not the protagonist back in the Melee days. The protagonist is very much the driving force of the stories, even if Ayumi is more involved in The Girl Who Stands Behind. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him added instead of her. I still prefer the idea of having Ayumi, especially considering that the protagonist is another blue-haired anime guy. It's superficial of me, but I'm more drawn to the aesthetic difference that Ayumi would bring.

I'm thinking of both a mechanic where you search locations with a magnifying glass to get items/evidence and another where you get "notes" from choosing actions on a menu, maybe during a command grab. I'll keep mulling over the idea and will let you all know what I come up with.
Apparently Sakurai’s interest in Ayumi had something to do with how 64/Melee had very few female fighters in the roster, since the earliest interview where she was mentioned had it brought up. There’s also the fact that BS Detective Club (where she was the protagonist) was still relatively recent during the time of 64’s release.

While I could see the protagonist as a playable fighter, I still think they’d probably go for Ayumi seeing as that she’s the de facto mascot of the series and the one with the most cameos. Though I would fully expect the protagonist to show up as an assist character of sorts for Ayumi.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Sakurai’s interest in Ayumi had something to do with how 64/Melee had very few female fighters in the roster, since the earliest interview where she was mentioned had it brought up. There’s also the fact that BS Detective Club (where she was the protagonist) was still relatively recent during the time of 64’s release.

While I could see the protagonist as a playable fighter, I still think they’d probably go for Ayumi seeing as that she’s the de facto mascot of the series and the one with the most cameos. Though I would fully expect the protagonist to show up as an assist character of sorts for Ayumi.
Yeah, They put her into Mario Maker. Not the protagonist. I'd say that's a good sign.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Not to mention it took the remakes to give the Protagonist a Clear-Cut visible appearance.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
theres official artwork of the protag for the originals
I’m talking like, in-game. Still, considering Ayumi was heavily considered back in Melee, she’d probably be very basic if she did get in. Considering Sakurai hasn’t said anything about the Remakes yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo approached him about Ayumi when the localization was finalized. Considering the decision was probably finalized around the same time Pass 2 was nearly finalized it would make sense that Sakurai would be aware of Ayumi, and make an exception remake wise for Ayumi.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
This protagonist vs Ayumi debate is kinda overblown. While main characters usually take precedent, main characters are not always synonymous with being the face/mascot and in this case Taro isn't the face, but Ayumi is. Whenever anyone thinks of Famicom Detective Club, Ayumi is the character that people have in mind so I have no doubt Ayumi will be the rep besides Sakurai mentioning her in the past. That said though, it isn't impossible that Taro could be an alt of Ayumi depending on how they do the moveset.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This protagonist vs Ayumi debate is kinda overblown. While main characters usually take precedent, main characters are not always synonymous with being the face/mascot and in this case Taro isn't the face, but Ayumi is. Whenever anyone thinks of Famicom Detective Club, Ayumi is the character that people have in mind so I have no doubt Ayumi will be the rep besides Sakurai mentioning her in the past. That said though, it isn't impossible that Taro could be an alt of Ayumi depending on how they do the moveset.
yeah but what makes sense to fans and what sakurai does doesn’t always line up

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
We got Pyra and MinMin instead of the protagonists of their respective games.

Debate ended.
The plural of protagonist here is interesting. Because I would argue that Xenoblade 2 does have two equally important Protagonists: Rex and Pyra/Mythra. Honestly I do think that the Aegis is equally as important to the overarching plot as Rex. Min Min, yeah that's fair, though I do suspect she may become the protagonist going forward like Scorpion did for Mortal Kombat.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The plural of protagonist here is interesting. Because I would argue that Xenoblade 2 does have two equally important Protagonists: Rex and Pyra/Mythra. Honestly I do think that the Aegis is equally as important to the overarching plot as Rex. Min Min, yeah that's fair, though I do suspect she may become the protagonist going forward like Scorpion did for Mortal Kombat.
protagonist is the character who the story follows. XC2 follows Rex and arms everyone has their own story therefore everyone is the protagonist

SharkLord

Smash Hero
ARMS is interesting because Yabuki believes everyone is the protagonist. Going off of Yabuki logic, if we got another ARMS character in a different game - Off the top of my head, let's use Tekken or Guilty Gear as an example - We could hypothetically get someone like Master Mummy or Dr. Coyle instead, because everyone's the MC and could work just as well as anyone else.

On the topic of Taro vs. Ayumi, it seems like Ayumi's been pushed in what little crossovers FDC has been in; Smash and Super Mario Maker. It seems like if we got an FDC pack, Ayumi would be our fighter, though having a sort of team-up mechanic doesn't seem entirely out of the question.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
protagonist is the character who the story follows. XC2 follows Rex and arms everyone has their own story therefore everyone is the protagonist
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the protagonist as:
Nothing to do with the point of view.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the protagonist as:
Nothing to do with the point of view.
and Rex is the main character in XC2 and everyone is the main character in arms. You’re just backing up my point

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Think about it this way. Taro never got any spotlight in his game of origin while Ayumi got a game based entirely around her as well as a game where she may as well have been the protagonist! Taro is the player, Ayumi is the Protagonist, just like Sherlock Holmes and Wattson or Josuke and Koichi. Wattson and Koichi are important characters, sure, but they’re more like your vessel into the real story. While Sherlock and Josuke are the real protagonists of their Stories, and act as the Main Character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Think about it this way. Taro never got any spotlight in his game of origin while Ayumi got a game based entirely around her as well as a game where she may as well have been the protagonist! Taro is the player, Ayumi is the Protagonist, just like Sherlock Holmes and Wattson or Josuke and Koichi. Wattson and Koichi are important characters, sure, but they’re more like your vessel into the real story. While Sherlock and Josuke are the real protagonists of their Stories, and act as the Main Character.
I dunno I don’t think ayumi is involved enough to be called the main character

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I mean, we have R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, who don't exactly consist of the playable characters of their respective games.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I dont recall anyone saying anybody other than Springman was the MC of ARMS until AFTER Min Min was announced in a desperate attempt to try and claim the "mc first" rule still holds.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dont recall anyone saying anybody other than Springman was the MC of ARMS until AFTER Min Min was announced in a desperate attempt to try and claim the "mc first" rule still holds.
Well, Sakurai himself confirmed Yabuki's words. I'd say that's as official a confirmation as any other. If we have an official statement regarding an ensemble cast, I think it's safe to count ARMS as having an ensemble cast.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sakurai himself confirmed Yabuki's words. I'd say that's as official a confirmation as any other. If we have an official statement regarding an ensemble cast, I think it's safe to count ARMS as having an ensemble cast.
But did they say this BEFORE Min Min?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sakurai checked in himself when planning it out and got confirmation from Yabuki. No matter how you slice it, it's an official statement and it still holds.
So no.

Its sounds like they came up up with the its an "esemble cast" AFTER it was decided to put min min in the game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Ayumi has been the popular character in Japan for a while, so I wouldn't worry about Taro one-upping her unless that changes before the next Smash game. If Ayumi wasn't also a detective and couldn't be justified at using the same skillset as Taro, then I would be a bit more worried about her chances, but she is a detective and could use a Famicom-Detective-feeling skillset without it being weird. She's also literally been the player character of a Famicom Detective game, even if it isn't either of the two famous/accessible ones....

I mean, we have R.O.B. and Duck Hunt, who don't exactly consist of the playable characters of their respective games.
I mean, if we want to get super technical, Duck Hunt does include the player character in their kit through the gunshots that are coming from a NES Zapper based on their trailer. 😛

So no.

Its sounds like they came up up with the its an "esemble cast" AFTER it was decided to put min min in the game.
I don't see a reason to make a conspiracy around this. Yabuki in interviews was constantly talking about how he loves the entire cast and was consistently inconsistent whenever asked about which member of the cast was his favourite (typically wavering between Spring Man, Min Min, and Twintelle). I don't think I can find a quote of him specifically saying the words "I consider the game to have an ensemble cast where everyone is the protagonist of their own story," but it's completely in-line with his design philosophy of the game.

Top Bottom