• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't know, Sakurai did say he was slowing down reveals in the recent Famitsu issue.

But I would like to be proven wrong.
He was saying slowing down Reveal Trailers. I can see us getting a few Echos announced this month in the middle, and MAYBE at the very end a sudden drop at the end, maybe halloween related reveal trailer

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't seriously think we will be getting an Ayumi reveal or really any reveal. I'm just thirsty for info and have big dreams. :b:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
He can still slow down reveals in terms of spacing but the reveals themself can contain a lot of content ;3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here are my thoughts. While it may be true that reveals could have some anvils dropped, I am not expecting too much newcomers revealed within this month or next month.

I can understand the possible hype for getting Ayumi in Smash, but we should temper our expectations a bit. It's possible the leak could be a ruse instead of fully being close to the blog theory.

But on to bigger news, we now have 45 supporters. Quite the milestone since March earlier this year. Here's to hoping this all pays off.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here are my thoughts. While it may be true that reveals could have some anvils dropped, I am not expecting too much newcomers revealed within this month or next month.

I can understand the possible hype for getting Ayumi in Smash, but we should temper our expectations a bit. It's possible the leak could be a ruse instead of fully being close to the blog theory.

But on to bigger news, we now have 45 supporters. Quite the milestone since March earlier this year. Here's to hoping this all pays off.
temper expectations, but don't go full depressed endgame like a ton of youtubers are going

Also if i'm not signed up sign me up

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
temper expectations, but don't go full depressed endgame like a ton of youtubers are going

Also if i'm not signed up sign me up
Right, we shouldn't fall into those traps. Just want us all to not fall apart when the case is closed.

Adding you now.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Right, we shouldn't fall into those traps. Just want us all to not fall apart when the case is closed.

Adding you now.
Exactly. I still feel like we can get 8 or more fighters(unique and echo), but I know that also may not happen. I do think the lists people feel are sure fire is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I mean, has Sakurai ever, EVER been fully predicted for a smash roster? no. And I doubt this will be the first.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Consider this:
It's October.
October is usually a time for scares.
Castlevania, which would have been thematically perfect, has already been revealed.
A major plot point of the most well-known FDC game involves a ghost story...

Really makes you think

god I just want more news in October I'll take anyone and anything at this point
I think a really cool trailer for her would be to investigate Luigi's death.

I really hope that jeuxvideo leak is true. It had a really nice selection of characters and features. I'm not putting too much stock into it, but I would have no complaints with any of the picks even if they didn't include all my personal faves. Just a fun selection. Plus, yknow, Ayumi.
Wasn't that leak debunked?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So.. I had a dream the night before last, where Ayumi was confirmed for Ultimate. The Protagonist was in too, but I couldn't make out his role. Playable? Playable Ayumi clone? Assist Trophy? Chrom-esque Ayumi-exclusive assist? Just couldn't make sense of him....

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Oh, count me in please! Just installed Famicom Detective Club Part II on my SNES Classic

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh, count me in please! Just installed Famicom Detective Club Part II on my SNES Classic
How do you mod your SNES classic? I know you could do it with the NES to get every NES game ever on it. can you do the same with the SNES one?

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
How do you mod your SNES classic? I know you could do it with the NES to get every NES game ever on it. can you do the same with the SNES one?
hakchi2 can transfer roms to your snes classic and NES classic! instructions are easy to find but it's been a bit since I set mine up

zferolie

Smash Hero
hakchi2 can transfer roms to your snes classic and NES classic! instructions are easy to find but it's been a bit since I set mine up
Ah thanks. So its not hard then huh? only have a SNES but wanted to have them both and have a huge libary of games as well

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
Ah thanks. So its not hard then huh? only have a SNES but wanted to have them both and have a huge libary of games as well
Yeah it's pretty simple, just follow the instructions really carefully to avoid potential bricking. Some ROMS aren't compatible though; you should be able to find a list of them online.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Interesting, never thought that SNES Classic mods were possible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The Smash playlist just updated. Also, the new tag on the fighters section is gone. We're getting a new character soon.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The Smash playlist just updated. Also, the new tag on the fighters section is gone. We're getting a new character soon.
Things will get very interesting.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Its sucks that we wont be getting a new retro rep with all legit rumors I dont count 4chan leaks expect for the Ken leak. But Im not mad because I got Daisy Chrom K Rool Incineroar Simon and Geno what more can I ask theres always DLC.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
...when were Incineroar and Geno confirmed? Eh, doesn't matter. But one thing about all these potential leaks that kinda excites me is the fact that Ayumi IS popping up more and more frequently in them. Not only is there a chance that at least one of them is true, in which Ayumi would indeed be confirmed for Smash Ultimate, but even more importantly, it brings attention to her and the Famicom Detective Club games which is a very good thing. Because Famicom Detective Club is a series that desperately needs more attention in the general Nintendo fan sphere and by Nintendo themselves, considering it is indeed one of their oldest first-party IPs and it actually has more entries than some of their decidedly more well-known first-party IPs.

I'm not sure how you would approach making a reveal trailer for someone like Ayumi, though. Because face it, no casual Nintendo or gaming fan is going to know who Ayumi is. Most people found out who she is through learning Melee trivia which we got in 2014. She hasn't been known to most Nintendo fans for a very long time, I mean. Sure, Japanese fans got a notice about her lack of representation in Smash shortly after Melee was released, but that's such a minor detail in the grand scheme of things. What is important, though, is the fact that Sakurai actually remembered his idea to add her...13 years after the fact. And since Sakurai seems to be digging up all of his old scrapped ideas, it's pretty likely that Sakurai has at least considered Ayumi once more. The roster was reportedly decided around December 2015, one year after that very interview. It was perhaps still fresh in his mind by then.

So, then, the most remarkable thing to take from this is that even with someone who hasn't received a single game overseas, people still remember and appreciate the very idea that Ayumi Tachibana could become part of one of the biggest gaming crossover events in history. That, in itself, is a beautiful thing and I'm so happy to be surrounded in this thread by so many people who want more representation and attention for a long-forgotten retro character.

We may not have our retro rep announced yet, or perhaps even get one this time around. But if we do, honestly...Ayumi is one of our best bets.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
...when were Incineroar and Geno confirmed? Eh, doesn't matter. But one thing about all these potential leaks that kinda excites me is the fact that Ayumi IS popping up more and more frequently in them. Not only is there a chance that at least one of them is true, in which Ayumi would indeed be confirmed for Smash Ultimate, but even more importantly, it brings attention to her and the Famicom Detective Club games which is a very good thing. Because Famicom Detective Club is a series that desperately needs more attention in the general Nintendo fan sphere and by Nintendo themselves, considering it is indeed one of their oldest first-party IPs and it actually has more entries than some of their decidedly more well-known first-party IPs.

I'm not sure how you would approach making a reveal trailer for someone like Ayumi, though. Because face it, no casual Nintendo or gaming fan is going to know who Ayumi is. Most people found out who she is through learning Melee trivia which we got in 2014. She hasn't been known to most Nintendo fans for a very long time, I mean. Sure, Japanese fans got a notice about her lack of representation in Smash shortly after Melee was released, but that's such a minor detail in the grand scheme of things. What is important, though, is the fact that Sakurai actually remembered his idea to add her...13 years after the fact. And since Sakurai seems to be digging up all of his old scrapped ideas, it's pretty likely that Sakurai has at least considered Ayumi once more. The roster was reportedly decided around December 2015, one year after that very interview. It was perhaps still fresh in his mind by then.

So, then, the most remarkable thing to take from this is that even with someone who hasn't received a single game overseas, people still remember and appreciate the very idea that Ayumi Tachibana could become part of one of the biggest gaming crossover events in history. That, in itself, is a beautiful thing and I'm so happy to be surrounded in this thread by so many people who want more representation and attention for a long-forgotten retro character.

We may not have our retro rep announced yet, or perhaps even get one this time around. But if we do, honestly...Ayumi is one of our best bets.
Well said.

I am not buying all these leaks myself since I have my doubts. But at the same time, I wouldn't just say a retro isn't happen. Sakuai peaking traditions be damned, there's got to be a truly surprising character to appear in Smash and no one can really be more surprising than an older chaacter or third party. And I will give credit where it's due since these leaks mean more publicity for her, even if some find her too obscure or a waste.

Famicom Detective Club is a big pat of Nintendo's history and revolutionized point and click adventures with a focus on story. Sure people can ague the same fo Shin Onigashiuma, but that's moe of a fairy tale retelling than an original story. So I would say that Ayumi being in Smash could bode well for her and really represent a big part missing from Nintendo's history.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I am really hoping that Sakurai reconsidered Ayumi for Smash. I find The fact that he included Sukapon and Ditto in Ultimate, who were also scrapped concepts from Melee, to be a good sign.

Sakurai tore down the "too big" barrier. Lets hope he tears down the "too Japanese" barrier as well.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I am really hoping that Sakurai reconsidered Ayumi for Smash. I find The fact that he included Sukapon and Ditto in Ultimate who were also scrapped concepts from Melee, to be a good sign.

Sakurai tore down the "too big" barrier. Lets hope he tears down the "too Japanese" barrier as well.
I hope this is the case.

Her inclusion could bode well for other Japan only characters as well. Even arguably Takamau (even though his international though his VC).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now people want Ayumi in Smash thanks to the steam. This is good.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Haha, that was me. I will never stop pushing Ayumi for Smash every chance I get.
Oh nice, and that is true.

She would be a great character in Smash.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Oh nice, and that is true.

She would be a great character in Smash.
Ayumi would be a perfect retro pick for Ultimate. She represents the point and click genre of Nintendo's history that has yet to be shown and her series revolutionized the genre. Wondering what Sakurai would come up for her moveset, since he gave her some thought in Melee, would quell curiousness.
Edit: Add me to the support list.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ayumi would be a perfect retro pick for Ultimate. She represents the point and click genre of Nintendo's history that has yet to be shown and her series revolutionized the genre. Wondering what Sakurai would come up for her moveset, since he gave her some thought in Melee, would quell curiousness.
Edit: Add me to the support list.
Good points and she is significant enough to represent that side of Nintendo's games. FDC has 3 games while Shin Onigashima had 2. It could go either way. Both were influential that Nintendo made more point and click titles like Yuyuki and Time Twist towards the end of the Famicom's lifespan.

And even I am curious as to what kind of moveset she would have. Knowing Sakurai, it would had been a creative one and she would had looked fine in Melee's engine.

Added to the list btw.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Will Sakurai announce a new retro rep how Duck Hunt was a fighter in Smash 4.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I have to say that I'm having some faith in Ayumi one of the likely retro reps for Ultimate, due to the resurfacing of concepts such as Sukapon and Ditto, and I don't remember Sakurai ever saying Ayumi had no moveset potential, do you? All he brought up was lack of worldwide familiarity.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I have yet to play Famicom Detective but I love obscure series and I love visual novels so I'll definitely play it one day. I'll support as well. Smash needs more obscure reps.
By the way I see only the second game got fan translated but not the first. Do we not need to play the first one to understand the story? Wonder why they never translated the other games in the story?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Honestly, I have to say that I'm having some faith in Ayumi one of the likely retro reps for Ultimate, due to the resurfacing of concepts such as Sukapon and Ditto, and I don't remember Sakurai ever saying Ayumi had no moveset potential, do you? All he brought up was lack of worldwide familiarity.
That is correct, he only cares about how she wouldn't be recognizable to a Western audience over moveset potential. Melee at the time had the likes of Game & Watch who's creative as it gets.

I have yet to play Famicom Detective but I love obscure series and I love visual novels so I'll definitely play it one day. I'll support as well. Smash needs more obscure reps.
By the way I see only the second game got fan translated but not the first. Do we not need to play the first one to understand the story? Wonder why they never translated the other games in the story?
Not that you need to since Famicom Detective Club II is a prequel, taking place before the events of The Missing Hier. Tomato probably translated just II since it's the most famous game of the trilogy, as in most people in Japan praised it the most. Even it was the game that had a GBA port with a higher rating. But like you, I'd like to give Famicom Detective Club I a try.

Will Sakurai announce a new retro rep how Duck Hunt was a fighter in Smash 4.
As a final reveal, I guess it depends. If she truly has that surprise factor that will shock people as the last newcomer.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Not that you need to since Famicom Detective Club II is a prequel, taking place before the events of The Missing Hier. Tomato probably translated just II since it's the most famous game of the trilogy, as in most people in Japan praised it the most. Even it was the game that had a GBA port with a higher rating. But like you, I'd like to give Famicom Detective Club I a try.
Oh it's a prequel. Didn't know, that makes it easier then. I'd love to try all three games one day though.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
I think there is a "The Missing Heir" translation in the works, actually. Don't think it's too far into production, though.

Top Bottom