• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The leak does not imply that Geno, Steve, Sora, or Incineroar are in. Take them out, and the leak heavily supports the blog theory.
Sora and Geno were both from that Twitter source before I knew it was bogus. I was essentially combining then undisproven leaks (Twitter, Verge, and LaPaille, which only the latter two are still alive now) in a best case scenario. That's also why I didn't list Steve as a giant question mark since that's what Verge has been leaving us with on the Minecraft content recently.

But if you do exclude everything aside from the LaPailleDor content, then it does support the blog theory if they get another week of 4 fighter posts.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I highly doubt there going to announce 12 more characters before release. Much like Loz this guy likely just got some early info and It's strange how he would not know about Dark Samus. On the other hand Sakurai does like tossing in some unexpected characters each game and we never do get all of the highly requested characters so Shadow missing would make sense.
Honestly I think we very well could get 12 more characters. 6 unique and 6 echo. it would work with smashdown needing something divisible by 2, 3, and 4 in the base roster. Plus they have time to release them. If steve is playable he will be revealed during Minecon this saturday. then in an october direct the can reveal 2 newcomers(start and end), and 3 echos in the middle or so. then a week or so before launch you get the final direct with 2 uniques(again 1 start 1 end), and 3 echos, and talk about how DLC will work and give a preveiw of who the first dlc will be like with mewtwo. As for that last newcomer needed, maybe one in mid Augest, like make Incineroar revealed right as Pokemon lets go releases or something

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't know, 12 remaining newcomers for the last 2 1/2 months seems a bit unrealistic.

Assuming we will get two Smash Diects that will be newcomer focused.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't know, 12 remaining newcomers for the last 2 1/2 months seems a bit unrealistic.

Assuming we will get two Smash Diects that will be newcomer focused.
I will have to agree with this.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Anybody have an idea of what her trailer will be like? I'm guessing that it'll involve somehow the deaths from the previous (minus Isabelle's reveal) trailers.
A little wish fulfillment-y, but I'd love a trailer that opens with Sakurai explaining that he went into both Smash's past and Nintendo's past to bring two fighters he once considered to life. Smash Bros transition screen, open to the Detective Club poring over some case files featuring various Smash characters that have gotten attacked. Ayumi looks up and realizes there's been some connection and some newer fighter (Isabelle?) is next. She grabs her briefcase and rushes out in a panic before realizing she has no way to get to where the next victim is in time. Then, she hears a voice.

"Need a ride?"

Pan up to reveal Mach Rider ("Mach Rider Rides Again!"). Ideally I'd want it to be the female one from the arcade game because that would be neat but it's all good whichever. Anyway, Mach Rider takes Ayumi to the scene, gameplay footage of Mach Rider with narration from both characters, it's intense, and just as the next victim is going to be attacked Ayumi jumps in! Splash screen ("Ayumi is on the case!"), Gameplay footage of Ayumi (and You and Hitomi, please) beating up everyone who has harmed someone in another trailer, end on the final smash and maybe an arrest.

I just like the Melee and retro connection...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A little wish fulfillment-y, but I'd love a trailer that opens with Sakurai explaining that he went into both Smash's past and Nintendo's past to bring two fighters he once considered to life. Smash Bros transition screen, open to the Detective Club poring over some case files featuring various Smash characters that have gotten attacked. Ayumi looks up and realizes there's been some connection and some newer fighter (Isabelle?) is next. She grabs her briefcase and rushes out in a panic before realizing she has no way to get to where the next victim is in time. Then, she hears a voice.

"Need a ride?"

Pan up to reveal Mach Rider ("Mach Rider Rides Again!"). Ideally I'd want it to be the female one from the arcade game because that would be neat but it's all good whichever. Anyway, Mach Rider takes Ayumi to the scene, gameplay footage of Mach Rider with narration from both characters, it's intense, and just as the next victim is going to be attacked Ayumi jumps in! Splash screen ("Ayumi is on the case!"), Gameplay footage of Ayumi (and You and Hitomi, please) beating up everyone who has harmed someone in another trailer, end on the final smash and maybe an arrest.

Not a bad idea, I quite like this one alot.

Few would think of pairing Ayumi and Mach Rider for a reveal.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

"Need a ride?"

That is a fantastic trailer idea, I like how it lines up with the casualties seen in previous ones.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Y'know, if Phoenix Wright gets in, I can't help but wonder if maybe they'd make Ayumi an echo or semi-echo of him.
I can't see it, but that's my own biases since I see them playing very differently and I'm still unsure if they'll do cross-series echoes. I'd like it, but I don't see it. Phoenix would ideally have a lot of specialized moves to his series (Mood Matrix, Magatama, Stepladder...) whereas Ayumi wouldn't really have that. Even if they included You and Hitomi in her moveset, their strengths are so different from Phoenix's potential assistants that it wouldn't line up.

Both of them in as uniques, though...yes please.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Added both of you.

And on the subject of Ayumi being a Phoenix Echo, while it's possible, I just don't see it working.

Size differences being one thing. We are talking a tall adult man to a shorter high school girl. Which can't work. And depending on what moveset Feenie is given, she would have few substitutes to go with (Like the Protagonist wouldn't be able to faithfully be close to Maya's spiritual powers).

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Added both of you.

And on the subject of Ayumi being a Phoenix Echo, while it's possible, I just don't see it working.

Size differences being one thing. We are talking a tall adult man to a shorter high school girl. Which can't work. And depending on what moveset Feenie is given, she would have few substitutes to go with (Like the Protagonist wouldn't be able to faithfully be close to Maya's spiritual powers).
I also agree with this. Size and body/proportion differences are also an important factor when considering echoes.

It's like wanting Addam to be a Rex echo or Toon Zelda as a Zelda echo.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

"Need a ride?"

While it would be nice each unique newcomer always gets there own newcomer trailer and with there being less newcomers then normal I feel like we will be lucky to get one this time. I see them just cutting to gameplay after she is done looking at the files on the Smash Bros characters.
Y'know, if Phoenix Wright gets in, I can't help but wonder if maybe they'd make Ayumi an echo or semi-echo of him.
Due to there not being a cross series echo since Ganondorf I don't see there being any new ones now and Phoenix Wright has an uphill battle to climb just like so many other possible newcomers.
Say we don't get any new retro newcomers in Ultimate until the next game or a port to the next Nintendo system after the Switch. Does anyone feel like they might add in 3 retro characters if they add in most of the highly requested characters into the base game of Ultimate or as DLC? If all goes while we would only be left with the normal 2 guest fighters, Cranky Kong, Paper Mario, the newest Pokemon, the newest Fire Emblem and retro characters even if the next game only adds in 10 newcomers.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Say we don't get any new retro newcomers in Ultimate until the next game or a port to the next Nintendo system after the Switch. Does anyone feel like they might add in 3 retro characters if they add in most of the highly requested characters into the base game of Ultimate or as DLC? If all goes while we would only be left with the normal 2 guest fighters, Cranky Kong, Paper Mario, the newest Pokemon, the newest Fire Emblem and retro characters even if the next game only adds in 10 newcomers.
I wouldn't mind this at all.

Ultimate is about fanservice and big requests, while the next Smash could be in a different direction that's as traditional as previous games as far as roster choices. Even for retros like Ayumi.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't think Sakurai will skip the retro this game. Sure he's doing a lot of fan pleasing, but it seems to me that he enjoys putting retro and wtf characters in. It would be odd for him not to do that this game when every game has had a retro and/or wtf (I argue smash 64's wtf was jigglypuff)

Also, I doubt Ayumi would be a Pheonix clone, as I don't see him making it in, but I can see he working very much like he does in MvC3U. a very unorthadox play style, with evidence she needs to gather. maybe also using certain attacks makes her launch them more, kinda like ink does, since she gains deduction on that character as she fights them. Or maybe to make it different from inkling, if she fights against people she then takes less damage or launch less, but she naturally has a light weight to balance this out. so she can overcome that weakness if she fights and gathers evidence

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't think Sakurai will skip the retro this game. Sure he's doing a lot of fan pleasing, but it seems to me that he enjoys putting retro and wtf characters in. It would be odd for him not to do that this game when every game has had a retro and/or wtf (I argue smash 64's wtf was jigglypuff)

Also, I doubt Ayumi would be a Pheonix clone, as I don't see him making it in, but I can see he working very much like he does in MvC3U. a very unorthadox play style, with evidence she needs to gather. maybe also using certain attacks makes her launch them more, kinda like ink does, since she gains deduction on that character as she fights them. Or maybe to make it different from inkling, if she fights against people she then takes less damage or launch less, but she naturally has a light weight to balance this out. so she can overcome that weakness if she fights and gathers evidence
At least one retro is possible, I am sure of it. Just that I have the feeling Sakurai will get all the fan favorites out of the way first.

And agreed, she is anything but a Phoenix clone. And I like the dedication idea, having her become stronger the more she fights. That way being a good representation of her own development.

zferolie

Smash Hero
At least one retro is possible, I am sure of it. Just that I have the feeling Sakurai will get all the fan favorites out of the way first.

And agreed, she is anything but a Phoenix clone. And I like the dedication idea, having her become stronger the more she fights. That way being a good representation of her own development.
I'm not sure if we'll get more then 1 retro in base, but we have to get one. Ayumi is on my short list of 4 wanted retros of Lip, Ayumi, Mach Rider, and Donbe and Hikari.

Thats what I was trying for. didn't want a direct copy of ink, so I thought a more defensive version could help. Like as she fights she becomes harder to knock off, but if you don't keep it up or can't attack it'll start to slowly go down.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm not sure if we'll get more then 1 retro in base, but we have to get one. Ayumi is on my short list of 4 wanted retros of Lip, Ayumi, Mach Rider, and Donbe and Hikari.

Thats what I was trying for. didn't want a direct copy of ink, so I thought a more defensive version could help. Like as she fights she becomes harder to knock off, but if you don't keep it up or can't attack it'll start to slowly go down.
Right. One sounds fair enough. One or no retro at all in the base game. And good wants.

And I see what you mean. That way she would at least be someone that's hard to kill, but still have few kill options. As long as she still fights in a unique way.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's honestly a good point some of you have. But at the same time, I am doubting that we will get a retro character this time around. Not to be a downer, but seeing one as a last reveal would be nice. But at the same time it would be controversial to some that expected a bigger character.

Not that I ever want the tradition of older characters to die in Smash, oh no. Smash isn't complete without them. They need to cover all forms of Nintendo's history: old and new alike. While I don't mind Ultimate's focus on bigger characters, at the same time I feel it/s lacking in balance like Smash 4, Brawl, or even Melee had. So whichever direction things go, I do hope Ayumi has one role in Smash. The worst pat is that there will be once again no acknowledgement of Famicom Detective Club at a ll like Smash 4.

Retro DLC is a possibility, I won't ignore that. But I see Sakurai focusing on bigger characters or even third parties. They could sell at a loss at worst and only appeal to a small group of fans that care about them than the whole fandom or people outside it. This is why retros being in the base game is more ideal than DLC.

I am really coming to like Smashboards
That's good. Glad you are welcome here.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I haven’t played any of the Famicom Detective games, but I’ll support her being in, I hope she would have a unique moveset and would be fun to play as. :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I haven’t played any of the Famicom Detective games, but I’ll support her being in, I hope she would have a unique moveset and would be fun to play as. :)
Adding you to the list.

Good to see you again, I remembered that you were in the old Takamaru group before it got taken down.

If both Phoenix Wright and Ayumi make it into Smash playable, think they'd be a good pair for interactions in a story mode?
I would LOVE to see that happen. There's some much potentially fun interactions between the two of them.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice

That's why I think someone like Ayumi fits both the retro and WTF role. While some might say Simon K Rool, or Geno could count as the retro character I think Sakurai sees 3rd party characters in a different way and K Rool is more like Little Mac where he's a mix of modern and retro. I also don't see Isabelle much as a WTF character like some do.
That's honestly a good point some of you have. But at the same time, I am doubting that we will get a retro character this time around. Not to be a downer, but seeing one as a last reveal would be nice. But at the same time it would be controversial to some that expected a bigger character.

Not that I ever want the tradition of older characters to die in Smash, oh no. Smash isn't completely without them. They need to cover all forms of Nintendo's history: old and new alike. While I don't mind Ultimate's focus on bigger characters, at the same time I feel it/s lacking in balance like Smash 4, Brawl, or even Melee had. So whichever direction things go, I do hope Ayumi has one role in Smash. The worst pat is that there will be nice again no acknowledgement of Famicom Detective Club at a ll like Smash 4.

Retro DLC is a possibility, I won't ignore that. But I see Sakurai focusing on bigger characters or even third parties. They could sell at a loss at worst and only appeal to a small group of fans that care about them than the whole fandom or people outside it. This is why retros being in the base game is more ideal than DLC.

That's good. Glad you are welcome here.
No matter who is shown last it will be controversial for the people who wanted someone else. While I would love to see some retro characters as DLC I can't see it unless they plan on making DLC for more then 2 years or they sell characters in bundles and slip in someone like Ayumi with a character that would sell the DLC pack like Rex.

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I dont see Geno and K Rool as retro reps I see them as fan service for many different reasons for as will as Simon Belmont he's just a third partie character nothing more oh Simon kinda brings the Mega Man inclusion in smash 4 Deja vu when Mega Man series use to be dead got alive later around 2018.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I dont see Geno and K Rool as retro reps I see them as fan service for many different reasons for as will as Simon Belmont he's just a third partie character nothing more oh Simon kinda brings the Mega Man inclusion in smash 4 Deja vu when Mega Man series use to be dead got alive later around 2018.
Agreed.

K Rool had been in loads of DKC games, just that Nintendo stopped using him around 2008. Geno is Geno, someone who is a Mario character but owned by another company. Simon is a legacy character who's series went strong for a long time until Konami stopped giving a damn.

Those three are old school, but more relevant than most characters who would count as retro.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah retro reps are like 1 off or very old character no one is expecting. Ice CLimbers, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, ROB, and Pit at the time all fit that quite well. K Rool and Geno not so much, with the both still being hugely popular and heavily requested.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
Wow, this thread really got active again! That's great!

...I really hope that leak is somehow true, even though it's probably not.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wow, this thread really got active again! That's great!

...I really hope that leak is somehow true, even though it's probably not.
Same, I appreciate all forms of activity here, even if said leak is the reason why there's a influx of it now.

Like you, I have my serious doubts. A bit too "too good to be true" if you will.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Consider this:
It's October.
October is usually a time for scares.
Castlevania, which would have been thematically perfect, has already been revealed.
A major plot point of the most well-known FDC game involves a ghost story...

Really makes you think

god I just want more news in October I'll take anyone and anything at this point

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Consider this:
It's October.
Castlevania, which would have been thematically perfect, has already been revealed.

Really makes you think

god I just want more news in October I'll take anyone and anything at this point
There's also the heavily credible leaker that claims that Ayumi (among other characters) is getting in.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There's also the heavily credible leaker that claims that Ayumi (among other characters) is getting in.
I really hope that jeuxvideo leak is true. It had a really nice selection of characters and features. I'm not putting too much stock into it, but I would have no complaints with any of the picks even if they didn't include all my personal faves. Just a fun selection. Plus, yknow, Ayumi.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really hope that jeuxvideo leak is true. It had a really nice selection of characters and features. I'm not putting too much stock into it, but I would have no complaints with any of the picks even if they didn't include all my personal faves. Just a fun selection. Plus, yknow, Ayumi.
Yeah. It supports the heavily probable blog theory and music icon theory.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me its just missing Shantae. I would replace Skullkid with her myself :)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Consider this:
It's October.

Really makes you think

I don't know, Sakurai did say he was slowing down reveals in the recent Famitsu issue.

But I would like to be proven wrong.

Top Bottom