• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Call me crazy, but I keep getting this gut feeling Ayumi's gonna make it. I mean, Sakurai's revisiting LOADS of ideas from previous games that didn't make it in, including the likes of Sukapon as an Assist Trophy, Krystal getting a role, even if being an assist, and of course :ultridley: as a fighter!

Coincidentally, let us not forget that he was ASKED about Ayumi Tachibana during an interview in Japan about Smash 4's roster! The fact that he remembered her AND discussed how she almost made the cut in Melee makes me personally feel that she's our next one!

Lip is nowhere to be found so far, Takamaru's an assist, Sukapon's an assist, and no signs of other retros? It seems that much like Smash 4, Ayumi's dodging bullets again....

Does anyone get that gut feeling like I've been? Or has Afro been going off the deep end once more? You decide folks! ;) ~ Afro
Honestly, after seeing how Sakurai STILL remembers his idea of adding Ayumi to Smash 14 YEARS after he dropped the idea bodes well, IMO.

If anything, I'm cautiously optimistic on this (like I am with Lip from Panel de Pon), but with Takamaru currently out of the running as a returning AT for Ultimate, and SUKAPON (ANOTHER character who WOULD have had some "major" role in Melee) being an Assist Trophy in the same game, I feel as though at the very least, Ayumi will have SOME major physical role in Ultimate. Whether that's playable or as an Assist, I couldn't tell you...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, seems like Sakurai's portion of the interview has already been posted, so I might as well drop the full 2h30m video for archival purposes here. Sakurai appears ~1h15m into it.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Call me crazy, but I keep getting this gut feeling Ayumi's gonna make it. I mean, Sakurai's revisiting LOADS of ideas from previous games that didn't make it in, including the likes of Sukapon as an Assist Trophy, Krystal getting a role, even if being an assist, and of course :ultridley: as a fighter!

Coincidentally, let us not forget that he was ASKED about Ayumi Tachibana during an interview in Japan about Smash 4's roster! The fact that he remembered her AND discussed how she almost made the cut in Melee makes me personally feel that she's our next one!

Lip is nowhere to be found so far, Takamaru's an assist, Sukapon's an assist, and no signs of other retros? It seems that much like Smash 4, Ayumi's dodging bullets again....

Does anyone get that gut feeling like I've been? Or has Afro been going off the deep end once more? You decide folks! ;) ~ Afro
Same here i`m keeping my fingers cross that she does make it, if she does she will be my new main.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It's kind of too late to rewatch the video and find a timestamp for when he mentions Ayumi. So I might as well ask PushDustIn PushDustIn to take a look since he can read and understand Japanese at least.

Agreed. The Smash Wiki should use an updated link that isn't deactivated at this rate.

But yeah, Sakurai is a big fan of Famicom Detective Club but at the same time doesn't want to have a fighter who's from a game that's too obscure to the West. Fire Emblem is an exception since well, it's Fire Emblem.
It's here.

Just tell Smash Wiki to use the SG Link. Hopefully, we won't go offline anytime soon, and videos are likely to be struck by copyright claims.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's here.

Just tell Smash Wiki to use the SG Link. Hopefully, we won't go offline anytime soon, and videos are likely to be struck by copyright claims.
Thanks Push. I should have a Wiki account and make sure to tell them that.

And we have a time stamp. Check it out if you want RandomAce RandomAce and Mrs.Milky Mrs.Milky .

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Thanks Push. I should have a Wiki account and make sure to tell them that.
No need to do it since the Unused Characters page on the Smash Wikia liked the SourceGaming article for a while it seems.

Sharing them an non-taken down video of the interview would probably tempt youtube to take it down again if it blows up like the last time.

But once again, thanks for timestamping the video Push.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Pretty sure the reason the video was taken down last time was because the user's account was terminated. Not so much the video itself.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pretty sure the reason the video was taken down last time was because the user's account was terminated. Not so much the video itself.
This.

Plus, Smash 4 is 4 years old (this is not an intentional pun) and the articles about said interview were that old too. I doubt Copyrighttube would achieve much from targeting an interview about an outdated Smash game in 2018. Smash Ultimate is where it's at and Nintendo will likely focus on more important things like real leaks.

Still an interesting subject about Ayumi nonetheless since there's not much left to talk about.

YES!

Someone did reupload. That’s cool.

I’m trying to watch play throughs of the game, and play it, and so far the game is already interesting.
Interesting. What playthrough are you watching and is it the fan translation?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This.

Plus, Smash 4 is 4 years old (this is not an intentional pun) and the articles about said interview were that old too. I doubt Copyrighttube would achieve much from targeting an interview about an outdated Smash game in 2018. Smash Ultimate is where it's at and Nintendo will likely focus on more important things like real leaks.

Still an interesting subject about Ayumi nonetheless since there's not much left to talk about.

Interesting. What playthrough are you watching and is it the fan translation?
At first it was playthrough of the fan translation by someone named Chrono-??? (something, I forgot) that showed the intro and first part until it the protagonist began learning Ayumi’s name, but that’s it. I wanted to find a silent playthrough, but all the ones had people talking. So I might just play the fan translation myself.

The intro gave me an idea though. For Ayumi’s reveal trailer, they can have her and/or the protagonist standing behind a fence while being folllowed by the police, and then being chased by them when he drops a soda can.

Then it will switch to him grabbing Ayumi and darting around the corner. But this time, instead of bumping into Utsugi, they instead get unknowingly transported into Battlefield face to face against Mario, Link, Marth, etc.

Cut to gameplay.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
At first it was playthrough of the fan translation by someone named Chrono-??? (something, I forgot) that showed the intro and first part until it the protagonist began learning Ayumi’s name, but that’s it. I wanted to find a silent playthrough, but all the ones had people talking. So I might just play the fan translation myself.

The intro gave me an idea though. For Ayumi’s reveal trailer, they can have her and/or the protagonist standing behind a fence while being folllowed by the police, and then being chased by them when he drops a soda can.

Then it will switch to him grabbing Ayumi and darting around the corner. But this time, instead of bumping into Utsugi, they instead get unknowingly transported into Battlefield face to face against Mario, Link, Marth, etc.

Cut to gameplay.
Nice trailer idea. I would quite like that, being a shoutout to how the game's intro went.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Quick question, but does anyone consider the protagonist to be the newcomer instead of Ayumi?

Ayumi wasn’t the protagonist until the third game, and even that game was apparently a Stellaview exclusive apparently.

Just a thought.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Quick question, but does anyone consider the protagonist to be the newcomer instead of Ayumi?

Ayumi wasn’t the protagonist until the third game, and even that game was apparently a Stellaview exclusive apparently.

Just a thought.
While the protagonist is the main character, Ayumi is far more popular of a character. To the point where the third game stars her as the main character.

Not to mention the fact that Sakurai considered her and not the Protagonist.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Daily reminder that Ayumi is being rated right now in the RTC. I advise all of you to participate.

https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...yumi-tachibana-detective-club.453357/page-264

Just a thought.
The protagonist is a generic self insert at best.

Ayumi has appeared in far more games than he did, cameos included. So he would be best as an Asssist Trophy or being a part of Ayumi’s moveset.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Daily reminder that Ayumi is being rated right now in the RTC. I advise all of you to participate.

https://smashboards.com/threads/rat...yumi-tachibana-detective-club.453357/page-264

The protagonist is a generic self insert at best.

Ayumi has appeared in far more games than he did, cameos included. So he would be best as an Asssist Trophy or being a part of Ayumi’s moveset.
Okay thanks, also to AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 .

After making my moveset idea and playing the game, I now really want the Protagonist to be a part of Ayumi’s moveset.

The games emphasize Ayumi’s and the protagonist’s relationship and the fact that they work together to help solve mysteries (as seen in Part I), so far to make one arc being central about. Their relationship is pretty important.

I might be asking for too much, but if Famicom Tantei Club is getting Ayumi as a rep. I want Sakurai to go far and have the protagonist fight alongside Ayumi to represent them as a character and the series lore as much as possible. After playing the game, it would be a little weird to have Ayumi on her own in my opinion without the protagonist along side her.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Okay thanks, also to AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 .

After making my moveset idea and playing the game, I now really want the Protagonist to be a part of Ayumi’s moveset.

The games emphasize Ayumi’s and the protagonist’s relationship and the fact that they work together to help solve mysteries (as seen in Part I), so far to make one arc being central about. Their relationship is pretty important.

I might be asking for too much, but if Famicom Tantei Club is getting Ayumi as a rep. I want Sakurai to go far and have the protagonist fight alongside Ayumi to represent them as a character and the series lore as much as possible. After playing the game, it would be a little weird to have Ayumi on her own in my opinion without the protagonist along side her.
You know, I wouldn’t be against that after all. The two are a team after all all and worked in the same agency. Him being a big part of her moveset would best represent the entire series if they work as a pair. That you are right about, since Ice Climbers and Peach/Daisy with Toad opens the floodgates.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Even if Ayumi doesn't get into Smash, I would really love a remake of the games. Visual Novels themselves are getting quite a bit more popular in the mainstream so I think there is a definite market for it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even if Ayumi doesn't get into Smash, I would really love a remake of the games. Visual Novels themselves are getting quite a bit more popular in the mainstream so I think there is a definite market for it.
Same here.

Nintendo should really take advantage of the current popularity of VN's a make a new game for current audiences.

I'd imagine it would do well with the right marketing.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
With the new Smash Ultimate Direct on the way (two days!), it's time to get ready for the eventual chance of Ayumi getting in or not. Of course, we'll all wish the very best outcome for our favourite overlooked detective schoolgirl, but naturally...it's not worth it to get our hopes up too much. The actual chances of Ayumi getting in are still very slim. Granted, they're higher than they've ever been, but that's really not saying much.

Here's the thing, though...each new Smash, we've always had a new retro rep (that's a oxymoron :p) and usually they're not what we expect. What does this mean for Ayumi's chances? Not a darn thing, but that's what wishful thinking is for.

Okay, let's show them what goes for! Let's support Ayumi more than ever, even if she doesn't get in...because at least then, we will have shown that there really is a fanbase wanting for more Famicom Detective Club representation in the modern Nintendo landscape!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Personally, I don't feel that Ayumi would be revealed before release. She fits the mold of a surprise character, imo.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
GUYS!

Sakurai brought back Ditto from Melee! I think this boads well for us because he clearly must've reconsidered Ayumi.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
GUYS!

Sakurai brought back Ditto from Melee! I think this boads well for us because he clearly must've reconsidered Ayumi.
I genuinely feel as though Samurai is pulling out all the stops fo this game – everything he has ever considered is being pulled in. This is the ultimate!

2F24E56F-8C15-483F-95E0-8573EDABF5E5.jpeg

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I genuiney fee as though Samurai is pulling out all the stops fo this game – everything he has ever considered is being pulled in. This is the ultimate!

View attachment 156311
Hmmmm, fishy, very fishy.

But we will see since I am shocked she wasn't revealed as an AT yet.

D

Deleted member

I see people here have already brought up Melee and Ditto. I said pretty much the same thing over at the Lip thread, the fact that Sakurai's bringing back old ideas even after >15 years is reason to be cautiously optimistic. I'll just quote what I said there:
Another thing to note is... Ditto. Ditto shows that Sakurai doesn't forget past ideas even going all the way back to Melee and Lip was the second most requested character for an NES/SNES pick,, being beaten by Sukapon (who is an Assist) and beating Sable Prince (also Assist), Metroid (Assist) and even Pit and Ice Climber, who went on to become playable. So if he's still keeping track of things that were going on back then, it might actually be something to keep in mind.
Just replace the part of Lip being highly voted with Ayumi actually being seriously considered for Melee and it applies here, too. Ultimate's really shaping up to break all kinds of conventions and be pure fanservice.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Yeah dude, if he's bringing back the ditto idea then hopefully he's looking at his other scrapped ideas.
But we will see since I am shocked she wasn't revealed as an AT yet.
You know, i'd be okay with it if she was an assist trophy. This series really just needs anything in smash at this point.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
Surely, the inclusion of Sukapon as an Assist Trophy means that Sakurai is not as hindered by the "Japan-only" thing, right?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Since Sakurai implemented the Ditto Poke Ball summon he has shown that he can go back to his old ideas and see what works.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since Sakurai implemented the Ditto Poke Ball summon he has shown that he can go back to his old ideas and see what works.
True.

Although the question remains if she will be an Assist Trophy, playable, or just not in the game at all.

We all know what happened with Takamaru, even with the not always accurate "Mii Fighter costume promotion" theory.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Might as well tag Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura as well

Unless you had issues due to Smashboard's meh new update.

But either way, more viewers, the better. This is the best part too, when Ayumi is first introduced.

Top Bottom