• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Calane

Smash Ace
I know next to nothing about this series, but this is such a bizarre idea that I sort of love it. Doesn't mean very much, but you can add me to the support list.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Recently got into the series. You have my full support for Ayumi Tachibana.

Does anybody know what song in the series a potential victory theme could be based off of?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Does anybody know what song in the series a potential victory theme could be based off of?
I think there are two choices. A snippet of the Girl in Back’s Intro or a part of the game’s credits theme.

Both would make excellent victory themes for her.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Adding all the new supporters to the list. Glad this place is getting traffic.

Nice to see someone else who into the series and tried them.

As for a theme, I was thinking of the Chapter End theme from The Girl in Back as scene with her Mario Maker costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnRciB9iv3E&frags=pl,wn

Although I wouldn't mind the Title Screen theme either. Not too sold on the idea of the game's ending being used for a Victory Theme.

Last edited:

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
As for a theme, I was thinking of the Chapter End theme from The Girl in Back as scene with her Mario Maker costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnRciB9iv3E&frags=pl,wn
Just gave that a listen. Its pretty good. Ayumi making an appearance in Mario Maker gives me hope.

I think there are two choices. A snippet of the Girl in Back’s Intro or a part of the game’s credits theme.
Those could work. I could totally see the intro being remixed into an upbeat jingle.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I don't know much about this character, but I do like the idea of a school girl beating the crap out of characters like Ridley, so you can add me to the support list.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't know much about this character, but I do like the idea of a school girl beating the crap out of characters like Ridley, so you can add me to the support list.
Then you've came to the right place.

Sorry, came home from a nice vacation last week. Going to add you to the list.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I remember this character vividly from back during the Smash 4 speculation days. While I never got the chance to play a fan translation for myself, I'm always for revivals of forgotten Nintendo properties, especially for a genre that they don't use frequently with any of their modern IPs. The artstyle is really nice and the premise of a detective game and her moveset give me Ace Attorney and Professor Layton vibes. That is something I can get on board with.

Now that Takamaru is disconfirmed, Sable and Ayumi are the only retro ideas left that intrigue me. I'll lend my support.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
In probably the biggest stretch ever, Ayumi getting in may open the door for Phoenix Wright one day on top of being an interesting character in general so put me down as a supporter.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
How about something better.

Mario vs Ayumi

The most iconic Smash character vs the most obscure Smash character.

Well for the West that is.

Ayumi and Luigi being timid While Ness leads them on oofy
Ayumi and Luigi, the timid duo. Hopefully she doesn’t get a pose like Luigi,
7CBF9A0A-0BF5-43FE-B34F-C3C2A84BF1AF.jpeg

I wouldn’t like it if she were a meme.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
How about something better.

Mario vs Ayumi

The most iconic Smash character vs the most obscure Smash character.

Well for the West that is.

Ayumi and Luigi, the timid duo. Hopefully she doesn’t get a pose like Luigi,
View attachment 154661
I wouldn’t like it if she were a meme.
Mario vs Ayumi?

While it wouldn’t be a bad match up, I wouldn’t say she is the most obscure Nintendo character.

And with a skirt like that, I doubt they will give her a similar pose. No one is ready for KOF Yuri butt bash memes.

BlueSectorMirage

Smash Rookie
Wow, isn't this something? I've wanted Ayumi Tachibana in Smash for a while now. And I've been lurking around this thread as well. What's taken me so long to actually get a account here? Well...uhh, there's no reason other than it didn't cross my mind. There's been a lot of things to take care of recently, so it's justifiable.

But I'm here now, and I'm a clear, 100% Ayumi supporter. And you know...right now, Ayumi is actually one of the more probable choices, believe it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpYlJeH3xEc

-Super Mario Bros. 3 (0:00)
-Wrecking Crew (0:02)
-Excitebike (0:20)
-Punch-Out!! (0:28)
-Soccer (0:44)
-Devil World (0:56)
-Punch-Out!! (1:06)
-Joy Mech Fight (1:15)

-Duck Hunt (1:29)
-Donkey Kong Jr. (1:33)
-Famicom Detective Club Part 2: The Girl in Back (1:46)
-Urban Champion (1:54)

This is the tracklist for the Famicom Medley from Brawl. The ones in Bold are the ones who have been represented in Smash beyond stickers, trophies or music cameos. I think this is rather interesting. What does this mean for Ayumi's chances? Probably nothing, but it's at least cool.

To further reiterate, yeah, I'm all for this. Add me to the support list!

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Wow, isn't this something? I've wanted Ayumi Tachibana in Smash for a while now. And I've been lurking around this thread as well. What's taken me so long to actually get a account here? Well...uhh, there's no reason other than it didn't cross my mind. There's been a lot of things to take care of recently, so it's justifiable.

But I'm here now, and I'm a clear, 100% Ayumi supporter. And you know...right now, Ayumi is actually one of the more probable choices, believe it or not.

This is the tracklist for the Famicom Medley from Brawl. The ones in Bold are the ones who have been represented in Smash beyond stickers, trophies or music cameos. I think this is rather interesting. What does this mean for Ayumi's chances? Probably nothing, but it's at least cool.

It's time to put on our tinfoil hats lolol

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Call me crazy, but I keep getting this gut feeling Ayumi's gonna make it. I mean, Sakurai's revisiting LOADS of ideas from previous games that didn't make it in, including the likes of Sukapon as an Assist Trophy, Krystal getting a role, even if being an assist, and of course :ultridley: as a fighter!

Coincidentally, let us not forget that he was ASKED about Ayumi Tachibana during an interview in Japan about Smash 4's roster! The fact that he remembered her AND discussed how she almost made the cut in Melee makes me personally feel that she's our next one!

Lip is nowhere to be found so far, Takamaru's an assist, Sukapon's an assist, and no signs of other retros? It seems that much like Smash 4, Ayumi's dodging bullets again....

Does anyone get that gut feeling like I've been? Or has Afro been going off the deep end once more? You decide folks! ;) ~ Afro

RandomAce

Smash Champion

The fact that the song only had 8 seconds is sad.

Mario vs Ayumi?

While it wouldn’t be a bad match up, I wouldn’t say she is the most obscure Nintendo character.

And with a skirt like that, I doubt they will give her a similar pose. No one is ready for KOF Yuri butt bash memes.
Well I kinda want to disagree with you. In Japan she is fairly well known (she and her games are a Japanese classic). But the west barely recognizes her aside from the hardcore and knowledgeable people such as us right now. And I doubt she would ring a bell to most people unless you watch the “Facts about Melee” videos that mention her being considered. So that’s why i had a Mario vs Ayumi match up. It’s fun to think about it.

Plus I did say it was specifically for the West.
Call me crazy, but I keep getting this gut feeling Ayumi's gonna make it. I mean, Sakurai's revisiting LOADS of ideas from previous games that didn't make it in, including the likes of Sukapon as an Assist Trophy, Krystal getting a role, even if being an assist, and of course :ultridley: as a fighter!

Coincidentally, let us not forget that he was ASKED about Ayumi Tachibana during an interview in Japan about Smash 4's roster! The fact that he remembered her AND discussed how she almost made the cut in Melee makes me personally feel that she's our next one!

Lip is nowhere to be found so far, Takamaru's an assist, Sukapon's an assist, and no signs of other retros? It seems that much like Smash 4, Ayumi's dodging bullets again....

Does anyone get that gut feeling like I've been? Or has Afro been going off the deep end once more? You decide folks! ;) ~ Afro
The interview has been made in Smash 4? The fact that Sakurai remembers his idea seems to be even more evident.

I swear I have the same feeling as you. Although she doesn’t seem likely, I always have this weird feeling to include her in my prediction because I always thing she is getting in. UGH! I just want her so badly!

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

It comes back to the "international obscurity" reasoning that kept Takamaru out of 4 even if he had growing western exposure. That does seem to be important since none of our current retros are Japan only. Ayumi would be a tough sell unless they've got plans in the pipeline for a FTC revival?

Eh? Eh? How about it, Nintendo?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wish Sakurai didn’t care as much about the international appeal or was more willing to at least include a fighter that not everyone recognizes. Some of my favorite fighters in Smash have come from characters I knew nothing about til playing them and it fits with Smash being a true celebration of Nintendo’s history.

Ayumi Tachibana is my true underdog pick for Smash Ultimate I guess at this point. I’d love to see a weird and unique character that is unknown to practically everyone over here make it in. Especially with Takumaru out of the running as well (I’m still a little salty he didn’t get another chance)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I wish Sakurai didn’t care as much about the international appeal or was more willing to at least include a fighter that not everyone recognizes. Some of my favorite fighters in Smash have come from characters I knew nothing about til playing them and it fits with Smash being a true celebration of Nintendo’s history.

Ayumi Tachibana is my true underdog pick for Smash Ultimate I guess at this point. I’d love to see a weird and unique character that is unknown to practically everyone over here make it in. Especially with Takumaru out of the running as well (I’m still a little salty he didn’t get another chance)
Same goes for their obsession with strictly using contemporary promotional characters or the most old-school characters strictly from the NES era and nothing in between.

I know Nintendo sees the golden opportunity to use Smash as a giant marketing tool for their newest hits for their latest systems or old classics that have at least a dozen re-releases, but that's such a limiting vision and I wish they weren't a stickler for that. Even their "WTFs" (Icies, Duck Hunt, R.O.B. since he was in Mario Kart DS, G&W since he has a plethora of gallery and collection games) and "fan-favorites" (Little Mac, Shulk, Ridley) fit into this mold! Ayumi hurts from that because while she's a retro, her series has never been localized.

I could probably come up with two games' worth of newcomers that consist of Japan-only or 90s/00s characters and series that they've promptly snubbed because of their philosophy. If they could think long-term for once with Smash, then they would see that including characters like Ayumi, Takamaru, K. Rool, Isaac, etc. can go a long way to popularizing and reviving more of their brands, which creates more potential avenues for profit.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I have a moveset idea for Ayumi, and it involves the silent protagonist.

GIMMICK: PROTAGONIST ASSIST

Firstly, the protagonist appears alongside Ayumi, like a duo of sorts. When they enter a match, the protagonist will stand in the background similar to the Pokémon Trainer. However, he will stand a lot closer to the battlefield and will follow Ayumi wherever she goes, even jumping to her location in certain situations.

Secondly, let’s say Ayumi’s evidence is like a meter. The more correct evidence she gets, it is like increasing a super meter. She can hold up to a max of 4 evidence.

By using one piece of evidence, Ayumi can call in the protagonist to do an attack along side Ayumi, an EX attack that does more damage, knockback, and/or more benefits than a normal move. Ayumi can do EX attacks of either Smashes, Grabs/Pummels/Throws, and Specials. This can be done by pressing B quickly after beginning the move.

Let’s give some examples:

EX Forward Smash: -> A > B
Will start like a normal forward Smash, but the protagonist does a Shoulder Bash quickly after ward.

EX Up Special: ^B > B
The protagonist will grab Ayumi and jump upward while Ayumi opens up her umbrella, increasing her vertical and/or horizontal distance.

EX Grab: R > B
The protagonist will run up to an opponent and grab them at longer ranges and more quickly.

EX Pummel: A > B
Both Ayumi and the protagonist pummel the opponent doing 1.5x the damage.

EX Throw: (During EX Grab)
The
protagonist will throw the opponent with greater strength. (You don’t need to press B shortly afterward for this, but it will cost of total of 2 evidence)

Finally, I have something more extreme.

EX MODE: Protagonist
We found the culprit! Hurry before they get away!

By pressing B three times quickly, Ayumi and the protagonist will swap places for a short period of time (around 15 seconds) and have you in control of him while Ayumi quickly follows to where the protagonist is in the background (Ayumi won’t fight though). All of his EX moves will already be provided and his normals are just Ayumi’s high confidence moves. He is a much stronger and faster than Ayumi, does greater shield damage, hitstun, knockback, and damage. Although, like any smasher, can still be hit, knocked off, and K.Oed normally as he has the same weight and stats as Ayumi bar height.

This will use all of Ayumi’s evidence and return her to her low confidence state, but the trade is that Protagonist is an end all finishing move.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

Firstly, the protagonist appears alongside Ayumi, like a duo of sorts. When they enter a match, the protagonist will stand in the background similar to the Pokémon Trainer. However, he will stand a lot closer to the battlefield and will follow Ayumi wherever she goes, even jumping to her location in certain situations.

Secondly, let’s say Ayumi’s evidence is like a meter. The more correct evidence she gets, it is like increasing a super meter. She can hold up to a max of 4 evidence.

By using one piece of evidence, Ayumi can call in the protagonist to do an attack along side Ayumi, an EX attack that does more damage, knockback, and/or more benefits than a normal move. Ayumi can do EX attacks of either Smashes, Grabs/Pummels/Throws, and Specials. This can be done by pressing B quickly after beginning the move.

Will start like a normal forward Smash, but the protagonist does a Shoulder Bash quickly after ward.

The protagonist will grab Ayumi and jump upward while Ayumi opens up her umbrella, increasing her vertical and/or horizontal distance.

The protagonist will run up to an opponent and grab them at longer ranges and more quickly.

The
protagonist will throw the opponent with greater strength. (You don’t need to press B shortly afterward for this, but it will cost of total of 2 evidence)

By pressing B three times quickly, Ayumi and the protagonist will swap places for a short period of time (around 15 seconds) and have you in control of him while Ayumi quickly follows to where the protagonist is in the background (Ayumi won’t fight though). All of his EX moves will already be provided and his normals are just Ayumi’s high confidence moves. He is a much stronger and faster than Ayumi, does greater shield damage, hitstun, knockback, and damage. Although, like any smasher, can still be hit, knocked off, and K.Oed normally as he has the same weight and stats as Ayumi bar height.

This will use all of Ayumi’s evidence and return her to her low confidence state, but the trade is that Protagonist is an end all finishing move.

What do you guys think?
Oi thats so cute and creative!

What did he say in the interview?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
The fact that the song only had 8 seconds is sad.

Well I kinda want to disagree with you. In Japan she is fairly well known (she and her games are a Japanese classic). But the west barely recognizes her aside from the hardcore and knowledgeable people such as us right now. And I doubt she would ring a bell to most people unless you watch the “Facts about Melee” videos that mention her being considered. So that’s why i had a Mario vs Ayumi match up. It’s fun to think about it.

Plus I did say it was specifically for the West.

The interview has been made in Smash 4? The fact that Sakurai remembers his idea seems to be even more evident.

I swear I have the same feeling as you. Although she doesn’t seem likely, I always have this weird feeling to include her in my prediction because I always thing she is getting in. UGH! I just want her so badly!
Oi thats so cute and creative!

What did he say in the interview?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2h4DlDLcc#t=1h15m50s

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Same goes for their obsession with strictly using contemporary promotional characters or the most old-school characters strictly from the NES era and nothing in between.

I know Nintendo sees the golden opportunity to use Smash as a giant marketing tool for their newest hits for their latest systems or old classics that have at least a dozen re-releases, but that's such a limiting vision and I wish they weren't a stickler for that. Even their "WTFs" (Icies, Duck Hunt, R.O.B. since he was in Mario Kart DS, G&W since he has a plethora of gallery and collection games) and "fan-favorites" (Little Mac, Shulk, Ridley) fit into this mold! Ayumi hurts from that because while she's a retro, her series has never been localized.

I could probably come up with two games' worth of newcomers that consist of Japan-only or 90s/00s characters and series that they've promptly snubbed because of their philosophy. If they could think long-term for once with Smash, then they would see that including characters like Ayumi, Takamaru, K. Rool, Isaac, etc. can go a long way to popularizing and reviving more of their brands, which creates more potential avenues for profit.
Tell me about it, so many characters have been lost to relevance arguments and I just want one game where that stupid argument doesn't apply. King K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac take my top three, so I'm very biased. But if there is a chance, this is the time with relatively few newer characters to market in comparison to Smash 4...

Sadly, I do think just about the only chance Ayumi has is as an unlockable secret newcomer. I know she's known in Japan, but I almost feel like Sakurai would hold her back as a treat and relatively unknown character... If she makes it to the game at all, but she's got about as good of a chance as any retro rep in my mind at this point.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The

What do you guys think?
Not bad, this is a nice way to implement to protagonist since the two are parters after all.

Never thought of it myself, but this is a neat concept.

Glad to have you aboard and you're on the list too.

While I wouldn't look too much into this, it's not that bad of a theory either.

Sukapon being an Assist Trophy already makes or breaks the fate of Ayumi. So we will see if she will be getting more than that.

This also makes me believe that we will see her in some form soon.

An Assist Trophy or fighter.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The video is terminated.

What did you want to show me?
Sadly said video is the only real proof we have of Sakurai saying he considered her for Melee or Takamaru for Smash 4 (among him being shocked at ridiculous requests for Spongebob and Goku).

Blame youtube and their draconic copyright strike policies.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sadly said video is the only real proof we have of Sakurai saying he considered her for Melee or Takamaru for Smash 4 (among him being shocked at ridiculous requests for Spongebob and Goku).

Blame youtube and their draconic copyright strike policies.
Really!?

Are you sure there isn’t a place anywhere else where someone might’ve posted the video? Did the video show Sakurai saying that or no?

But it’s a shame.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Really!?

Are you sure there isn’t a place anywhere else where someone might’ve posted the video? Did the video show Sakurai saying that or no?

But it’s a shame.
Nope, no one decided to download that interview at all before the account was taken down.

Now it's just lost forever. The only proof is the many articles that mention and bring up the interview (Or Azure's old Gamefaqs post talking about it). Most of the headlines being all about Goku/Spongebob and Takamaru, while few ignore the mention of Ayumi because she's not "fighter material". Even Etika just didn't care enough to mention Ayumi at all because Takamaru is more badass.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Nope, no one decided to download that interview at all before the account was taken down.

Now it's just lost forever. The only proof is the many articles that mention and bring up the interview (Or Azure's old Gamefaqs post talking about it). Most of the headlines being all about Goku/Spongebob and Takamaru, while few ignore the mention of Ayumi because she's not "fighter material". Even Etika just didn't care enough to mention Ayumi at all because Takamaru is more badass.
UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Now I’m really mad. But is there anyone that has what Sakurai said regarding Ayumi?

And when was the video taken down?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
UUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Now I’m really mad. But is there anyone that has what Sakurai said regarding Ayumi?

And when was the video taken down?
The closest thing to proof of what Sakurai said is though RelaxAlax's Smash Facts video, SourceGaming itself since PushDustIn watched and reported on it, and Tv Tropes.

Overall, his thoughts was that she was too obscure to warrant a fighter slot in Melee (lack of overseas familiarity) and that trophy you saw would had been what her Classic Mode trophy could had been.

I am just as disappointed as you. I guess it was taken down when the Final DLC came out it because it blew up in views after Smash 4's release (mostly due to SourceGaming and Etika).

And of course, the very Rumours and Leaks thread for Smash 4 is locked and that's where PushDustIn posted translations of the interview too. ****....

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
"Ayumi Tachibana: “Well, I was thinking about it during the Melee days, Famicon Detective Club…Ayumi even has her own Trophy in that game. But in the end, there’s no way she’d work overseas, so…but I do like Famicon Detective Club.”"

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Taken straight from SourceGaming. This is what Sakurai said about her and explains how the trophy in Melee exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0ocEusrjs

Oh, you mean this interview? I think it's this one...I have no idea where Ayumi is mentioned in the video, though.
Bingo. Now the Smash wiki needs to update with the link to this video.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's kind of too late to rewatch the video and find a timestamp for when he mentions Ayumi. So I might as well ask PushDustIn PushDustIn to take a look since he can read and understand Japanese at least.

"Ayumi Tachibana: “Well, I was thinking about it during the Melee days, Famicon Detective Club…Ayumi even has her own Trophy in that game. But in the end, there’s no way she’d work overseas, so…but I do like Famicon Detective Club.”"

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Taken straight from SourceGaming. This is what Sakurai said about her and explains how the trophy in Melee exists.

Bingo. Now the Smash wiki needs to update with the link to this video.
Agreed. The Smash Wiki should use an updated link that isn't deactivated at this rate.

But yeah, Sakurai is a big fan of Famicom Detective Club but at the same time doesn't want to have a fighter who's from a game that's too obscure to the West. Fire Emblem is an exception since well, it's Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's about 2 minutes in. No idea what's actually said, but I can understand "Ayumi" being spoken.

Regardless, Consider me a supporter. Ayumi's one of those characters that have I believe has a decent shot at making it.

Top Bottom