• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

MattX20

Smash Hero

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, I'm not sure if this was shared, but there's a potential bonus character that could happen beyond the second Fighter Pass. https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosU...pass/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share We could see her as a bonus fighter akin to Piranha Plant if this holds up, since bonus fighters are 1st party and Ayumi comfortably is a 1st party character.
Oh yeah, that thing. The general consensus seem to be skepticism, on the basis that A: It's only for the NZ/AU sites, and B: Sakurai has stated multiple times that FP2 will be the end. I also believe that a bonus character would be from a series that already has fighters, on the basis that al new series in Smash have had a stage to go with their fighter, and by extension, songs for the stage.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, that thing. The general consensus seem to be skepticism, on the basis that A: It's only for the NZ/AU sites, and B: Sakurai has stated multiple times that FP2 will be the end. I also believe that a bonus character would be from a series that already has fighters, on the basis that al new series in Smash have had a stage to go with their fighter, and by extension, songs for the stage.
The people being skeptical are forgetting the SNK leak occurred on just a couple of European Nintendo sites, so that's a pretty big thing to ignore to disqualify a bonus character.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The people being skeptical are forgetting the SNK leak occurred on just a couple of European Nintendo sites, so that's a pretty big thing to ignore to disqualify a bonus character.
It's not just that alone, though; Sakurai has stated many times over that FP2 will be the end, implying that no, there will be no bonus fighters. This apparent leak is a lot more vague than the SNK leak as well; Just the website urls, and not flat-out listing a new company in the trademarks.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's not just that alone, though; Sakurai has stated many times over that FP2 will be the end, implying that no, there will be no bonus fighters. This apparent leak is a lot more vague than the SNK leak as well; Just the website urls, and not flat-out listing a new company in the trademarks.
and so far, bonus characters have been 1st party choices. Nintendo wouldn't need to credit a new company for a character they own entirely.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
and so far, bonus characters have been 1st party choices. Nintendo wouldn't need to credit a new company for a character they own entirely.
The point is that it's a lot more vague. The SNK trademarked said what was going on flat-out; An SNK fighter was in the pipeline. This is just guesswork based on website urls, which honestly isn't the most solid of evidence. And again, Sakurai has confirmed that FP2 is the last of the roster.
At the 36:09 timestamp, "Only two DLC fighters remain." Taking this at face value, it pretty much rules out any possibility of post-FP2 fighters.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
The point is that it's a lot more vague. The SNK trademarked said what was going on flat-out; An SNK fighter was in the pipeline. This is just guesswork based on website urls, which honestly isn't the most solid of evidence. And again, Sakurai has confirmed that FP2 is the last of the roster.
At the 36:09 timestamp, "Only two DLC fighters remain." Taking this at face value, it pretty much rules out any possibility of post-FP2 fighters.
Only two more dlc fighters from fp2. He also said Incineroar was the last fighter right before announcing pirahna plant. Sakurai has a long history of conflicting statements.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Only two more dlc fighters from fp2. He also said Incineroar was the last fighter right before announcing pirahna plant. Sakurai has a long history of conflicting statements.
1618326608520.png

I dunno, this seems pretty specific. There's also the fact that he's done this on multiple occasions; During the leadup to Min Min, after Min Min, before Pyra and Mythra's presentation, and during the presentation itself. I'm gonna play it safe and take his words at face value, especially considering how the only thing we have to go off of is website urls.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 311098
I dunno, this seems pretty specific. There's also the fact that he's done this on multiple occasions; During the leadup to Min Min, after Min Min, before Pyra and Mythra's presentation, and during the presentation itself. I'm gonna play it safe and take his words at face value, especially considering how the only thing we have to go off of is website urls.
I took his words at face value too and was wrong. Like when he said there wouldnt be too many new character at the first ultimate direct and then at the next direct he plops down five at once, the most in a single direct.

He also said making a animal crossing characters and miis into fighters was impossible and now we have 3 of the former and two of the latter.

My point is sakurai says alot of stuff.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I took his words at face value too and was wrong. Like when he said there wouldnt be too many new character at the first ultimate direct and then at the next direct he plops down five at once, the most in a single direct.

He also said making a animal crossing characters and miis into fighters was impossible and now we have 3 of the former and two of the latter.

My point is sakurai says alot of stuff.
We still only got eleven characters in base, when Brawl and 4 approached almost twice that. I wouldn't call that a large amount.

That was reliant on how well he though he could pull it off. Future DLC isn't something he'd have doubts on gameplay-wise; Nintendo chooses the fighters, and likely chooses how much DLC we're getting. If he says we're not getting anything more, it's not because he can't pull it off.

If I'm wrong, great, more fighters. But everything he's said up to now says we're not getting any more, and I'm trusting him on that until proven otherwise. Not gonna get burned.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
that whole rumour seemed like a very simple error that was probably just a mistake or they thought pyra and mythra were gonna have separate pages
Speaking of which, do Pyra/Mythra take up 2 slots or 1? Because they're listed as fighters 81 and 82 so I imagine they take two slots. I'm no expert on this, but that's just my educated guess.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Regarding the possibility of a bonus, I'm thinking one of the following, in decreasing order of likelihood:
  • There is a bonus for buying both passes that is something other than a new fighter: a mii costume, a deluxe mii costume & music track, stage, or something else.
  • This was just a mistake due to Pyra/Mythra being two characters in one.
  • One of the new fighters has an echo, which gets its own page, but isn't a full fighter per se. (Off the top of my head, a Captain Toadette echo for Captain Toad, a Coco echo for Crash, or a Roxas echo for Sora.)
  • There is a bonus for buying both passes, and it's one or more echo fighters for a non-DLC character. (Off the top of my head, Dixie Kong, Impa, Octoling, Shadow, Ms. Pac-Man, and Jeanne.)
  • There is a bonus for buying both passes, and it's a whole new fighter.
While there's a possibility that we get an entirely new character, something else just strikes me as more likely. I could see an echo since they're kinda considered bonuses instead of full characters, but an entirely new fighter would surprise me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

So it just hit me when I saw previews from reviewers. What if the rumored bonus fighter is Ayumi?
If we get a bonus fighter - Which is a big if, mind you - I think it depends on if it's just a bonus fighter, or an entire bonus pack. Every new franchise in Ultimate have brought supplementary content with them; Music, a stage, Spirits, and sometimes an Assist Trophy. Ayumi could come with a bonus pack, but I don't think we'd just get Ayumi on her own like with Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

So it just hit me when I saw previews from reviewers. What if the rumored bonus fighter is Ayumi?
If we get a bonus fighter - Which is a big if, mind you - I think it depends on if it's just a bonus fighter, or an entire bonus pack. Every new franchise in Ultimate have brought supplementary content with them; Music, a stage, Spirits, and sometimes an Assist Trophy. Ayumi could come with a bonus pack, but I don't think we'd just get Ayumi on her own like with Piranha Plant.
If she was a bonus fighter and not one of the remaining to she would highly likely be on her own like pirahnna plant. Otherwise there would be 3 remaining DLC packs instead of two.

If there is a bonus fighter, theres a high chance its Ayumi. Ayumi makes sense as a pirahna plant esq bonus fighter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If she was a bonus fighter and not one of the remaining to she would highly likely be on her own like pirahnna plant. Otherwise there would be 3 remaining DLC packs instead of two.

If there is a bonus fighter, theres a high chance its Ayumi. Ayumi makes sense as a pirahna plant esq bonus fighter.
But that's the thing. Piranha Plant wasn't from a new series, and didn't bring any other content. If Ayumi was added, she's the first playable fighter for FDC. Every series that has made it's playable debut in SSBU has brought supplementary content with it. If there's a Piranha Plant-esque bonus fighter, I strongly believe that they wouldn't be from a new series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
surely the spoilers have been around for years
In Japan, maybe, but

Ign

How did they leak? Via review copies?

Just this so far.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In Japan, maybe, but

Just this so far.
hmm could have sworn there were details all over the place.

better avoid YouTube

amageish

Smash Master
I'm not particularly sold on a bonus given Sakurai's fairly confidant-sounding column on the final 2 being the end, but I do imagine it wouldn't be adding in a new IP...

How did they leak? Via review copies?
NintendoLife suggested that it may be due to preloads going up ahead of schedule, so people had it downloaded before Nintendo's servers knew to stop people from being able to open it.

This also happened this year with Paper Mario, so I'm kind of surprised they haven't figured out how to stop it...

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Isn't there also a third game of Famicom Detective Club? Any idea why that one has not been included here?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Isn't there also a third game of Famicom Detective Club? Any idea why that one has not been included here?
That one was for the Satellaview, an extremely obscure system built around sending out broadcasts like a radio or television. Many hardcore players haven;t even heard about it. I'd imagine that the first two games would be more popular and safer to remake than the Satellaview game, even for Japanese audiences.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I was actually thinking a bit about how the game is gonna have a simultaneous worldwide release. This makes me think a localization for the games may have actually been planned further back than we think, maybe not from the start but definitely early enough that it'll be ready to launch at the same time the original Japanese version is, which I don't think would've been possible if it was a last minute decision based on a relatively small outcry from the west. It's possible this information was something the Smash team had a while back while it was in development, although this is purely speculation. Though if FP2 has a similar character to the first pass with Byleth where all Nintendo asked for was a new character from an upcoming game they could market, I could see Sakurai picking Ayumi as long as he was aware these remakes would be released outside of Japan. She does generally have a bit more going for her too, being first party and historically important to the genre inspiring games like AA and Danganronpa.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
They're advertising the FDC remakes way more than I thought they would. Which makes me happy! And the game looks absolutely beautiful now that we can see it in movement, how it uses 3D models to look like a more flat anime style. But it also makes me wish they splurged on some English voice acting if they were going to throw this kind of budget behind it.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
They're advertising the FDC remakes way more than I thought they would. Which makes me happy! And the game looks absolutely beautiful now that we can see it in movement, how it uses 3D models to look like a more flat anime style. But it also makes me wish they splurged on some English voice acting if they were going to throw this kind of budget behind it.
If these remakes let the series continue to have a future, I could easily see that being a priority for next time, especially if the sales outside of Japan are solid.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace

The bonus fighter is probably an echo/clone. Because that's what echos are, a bonus when there isn't anymore time for a full newcomer.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, if we do get a Bonus Fighter, Ayumi would be perfect! She wouldn't have the appeal to justify an entire Challenger Pack. She's been considered for Smash before, and just now finally gets her chance to actually get into Smash. She'd only need a couple of Music Tracks, and maybe an Event, and then you're done!

Top Bottom