• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Theater - King Dedede Video Thread

Ekkie

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatEK
I didn't go to a tournament but i got a replay of a dumb match with a friend. He's a pretty good bowser and duck hunt but i don't think he knows much about pikachu. Anyways, It's kind of a scrubby match but I got some nice gordo action and wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-13EmOj4nQ

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I didn't go to a tournament but i got a replay of a dumb match with a friend. He's a pretty good bowser and duck hunt but i don't think he knows much about pikachu. Anyways, It's kind of a scrubby match but I got some nice gordo action and wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-13EmOj4nQ
(smart) quacking makes Dedede's life so much more difficult heh, but nice replay. some of those gordo shenanigans were the definition of hot and sweaty EmbarrassEmbarrassEmbarrassEmbarrass

CO18

Smash Hero
A rare Co18 set lol. Went to some big tournament here in florida today, m2k, ryo and a bunch others in attendance. Think there was about 100 entrants. I got ****ty seeding since I haven't been to many tourneys lol. Ended up having to play Day in winners finals of my pool, best lucario from what I know. He got 17th at paragon beating cacogen(best player in northwest, k9bruce (top socal) player and more.
Anyway here's the set, Commentator was new school and didn't know who I was lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_Fb_XUBw0

I still **** up alot since only play on 3ds/havent played much. First game I accidentally up+bed and killed myself, commentator thought I up+bed on purpose for some reason lol. Then with lucario rage couldn't come back. Game 2 I 2 stocked him. Game 3 was beating him handidly, then I got fsmashed at 55 when he was at 120 and died. I still don't know alot of stuff/lose to inexperience lol.
You'll see in the match but the only reason I up+bed onto stage was because since I knew I wasn't going to have ledge invincibility and I just assumed or thought that lucario could probably fsmash me from the ledge. So up+bed to stage, ended up getting fsmashed anyway and died at 55 lol. Found out after the set that lucario can't smash someone on the ledge so could've avoided that if I knew.

Then I lost to Ryo (best ike) last hit, wasn't recorded though. Still a noob to this game, I gordo'd ryo's side b as he was recovering to stage when we were both last hit, it blocked him like half way away from the stage. Was unaware that Ike could still up_b so I didn't go off to fair to finish him off, thought I won lol then when he up+bed I was like oh ****. Then we both rar baired on stage but his was faster and it killed me then i lost.

Ryo's too dirty though, he won the tourney. M2k got 3rd, losing to ryo and then he got 3-0d by poltergust.

Anyway feel good about DDD still considering I still haven't been playing smash 4 that long and only on 3ds. Went pretty much even with every top player. Wanted to play m2k, wanted rematch from tourney set in brawl where he planked me/timed me out now that he doesn't have mk haha.

Last edited:

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah ive seen that before, updated my post to direct link to match, didn't realize they had separated the matches already

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
This isn't mine, found it from KIRBEH on GameFAQs.

Normally, this wouldn't be a match of note...except, it was Vs. Zero. I think it's the only footage we have of D3 vs Zero, and he did pretty good. Good enough where I think it proves a D3 of skill might be able to beat him one day.
Basically, he got Zero-to death'd right off the bat, with Sheik at 0, but managed to make a pretty good comeback.

http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/v/15924122

Starts at around 58 minutes

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Just wait until you find one that knows the diagonal Metal Blade into utilt combo. Then tell me you're not afraid anymore. MS_Ookami's has that combo on lock, and it's scary af.
^This

I don't think I'm scared of Mega Man anymore.

With all due respect you can't really make a definitive statement like that on the match up from your experiences in for glory. Megaman is and always will be a very tough match up for DDD. Was fun to watch though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think I'm scared of Mega Man anymore.

The only reason the Megaman lost was because he was clearly flustered after losing the first stock and decided to be aggressive instead of defensive for awhile. Even then, the match was hardly a complete blowout and the Megaman pretty much lost after a kneejerk get up reaction at the end. As others have said, this match up is pretty obnoxious if the other side knows what they're doing.

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
I still **** up alot since only play on 3ds/havent played much. First game I accidentally up+bed and killed myself, commentator thought I up+bed on purpose for some reason lol. Then with lucario rage couldn't come back. Game 2 I 2 stocked him. Game 3 was beating him handidly, then I got fsmashed at 55 when he was at 120 and died. I still don't know alot of stuff/lose to inexperience lol.
You'll see in the match but the only reason I up+bed onto stage was because since I knew I wasn't going to have ledge invincibility and I just assumed or thought that lucario could probably fsmash me from the ledge. So up+bed to stage, ended up getting fsmashed anyway and died at 55 lol. Found out after the set that lucario can't smash someone on the ledge so could've avoided that if I knew.
Good game and shame you didn't win. I probably would have gone for the riskier move too at those percents but I don't face many lucarios.

Here's a game of for glory with me that shows off why gordos stuck to the stage can be a game changer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGynRU7FIg

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
Made another montage with the great king. Enjoy!!:dedede:

D

Deleted member

Hey, anyone think they could give me some feedback on my D3 play here? I wanna see how I can improve upon any mistakes I made here.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Hey, anyone think they could give me some feedback on my D3 play here? I wanna see how I can improve upon any mistakes I made here.
I understand you were trying to bait out Shulk's counter with the Jet Hammer. I wouldn't do that. I love the Jet Hammer. I think it's a dramatically under-used move, and I also use it to bait counters. Shulk's counter, however, is stupid long: long enough to be considered virtually lagless during its first use. Additionally, the knockback is stupid too. Bait reactions from the Jet Hammer, but not against Shulk. If you released the hit on Shulk's hurtbox at any time during that match, I think you would've died. Plus Shulk has the range to hit you out of the Jet Hammer from a relatively safe distance.

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi

Roll less imo. You should watch some of Jdawgs games and examine his movement options. Also, never fair fast fall unless it's out of a full jump and at the end of the moves animation, or unless you're absolutely certain it's going to connect and will knock them back far enough to where you can't get punished. The move does not auto cancel on short hop. If you must fair out of Dthrow full jump fair into either nair (not guaranteed) or fast fall during the end of fairs animation into Ftilt. You can also bair out of Dthrow and nair.

Also, if you're going to try to get analysis on how to correct mistakes in your play try to take replays of games you lose against people that straight up outplay you. When I started doing that and rewatching them I learned a ton from my mistakes.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Ayyyy so my scene finally decided to record a tournament two weeks ago and it just got uploaded. I played some matches here that I'm not thaaaat completely ashamed of so I could use some harsh criticizing.

( :4dedede: ) J.T.C. vs FatSloth ( :4zss:)

( :4dedede: ) J.T.C. vs Praxx ( :4ness: )

( :4dedede: ) J.T.C. vs Creatious Craig ( :rosalina: )

I know I have a lot of a lot of ****ty habits that I need to fix. I abuse the hell out of the gordo-fsmash ledgetrap, and I need to mix that up. My timing with bairs (and my timing overall) is godawful and I'm working really hard to fix that.

Anything else, please mention. Please please help me plzzzz.

please
i need help

Last edited:

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Ayyyy so my scene finally decided to record a tournament two weeks ago and it just got uploaded. I played some matches here that I'm not thaaaat completely ashamed of so I could use some harsh criticizing.

I know I have a lot of a lot of ****ty habits that I need to fix. I abuse the hell out of the gordo-fsmash ledgetrap, and I need to mix that up. My timing with bairs (and my timing overall) is godawful and I'm working really hard to fix that.

please
i need help

I don't really know what to say about the timing on moves, We both know that's just sorta something you get a feel for. However for mixing up ledgetraps try a properly spaced Ftilt with the ledgetrap. It covers just about every options when properly spaced and the Gordo will cover jump. It also sets up for easy combos off the Gordo at low/mid %s or sometimes just pushes them through the Gordo and off stage back into an edge guard situation. Also I dunno if you scoped any of the clips I sent you in a PM but if people start rolling onto the stage to avoid the Fsmash trap try a pivot Fsmash. It surprisingly covers as many options as Up smash. The first few active frames the hammer is above and a little behind your head so it covers jump the shockwave covers regular get up and with the right timing get up attack and of course the sweet spot covers roll.

Glad to see some tourney matches from you though. You seem a bit disappointed in yourself, but really these are all pretty rough match ups.

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice

please
i need help
I think you did well overall, just some tough match-ups across the board :). Two things I want to point out though is that you often preemptively air dodge when you jump, which really limits your options when responding to your opponent's approach. Also, you roll quite a lot and spot dodge a bit too early on, which are easily punished while playing as D3. Those are really the most blatant things I've noticed.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, me and my brother are playing Dedede a lot more recently.

Dedede is a strong character. Because slow moves are not frequent in his game, his moves are capable of suprising the opponent.
Plus his taunt game is so great. The couch only is breaking the mental of your opponents.

He really is a character we like to play as.

Hope you'll like this montage :)

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Hey guys, me and my brother are playing Dedede a lot more recently.
Dedede is a strong character. Because slow moves are not frequent in his game, his moves are capable of suprising the opponent.
Plus his taunt game is so great. The couch only is breaking the mental of your opponents.
He really is a character we like to play as.
Hope you'll like this montage
That was a lot of fun. Really liked those windbox KOs. Those are my favorite to land. I also really need to learn that fastfall upair trick. Other than extending combos, it looks like it can work as a sort of pseudo-spike.
Great video though. Feel free to come back to him in the future for more montages. Dedede can set up some wacky stuff!

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
That was a lot of fun. Really liked those windbox KOs. Those are my favorite to land. I also really need to learn that fastfall upair trick. Other than extending combos, it looks like it can work as a sort of pseudo-spike.
Great video though. Feel free to come back to him in the future for more montages. Dedede can set up some wacky stuff!
Thank you for this comment :)

If I may give you an advice about the UpAir, don't press the button too quickly after the throw : you won't be able to fast fall. You need to practive in order to find the right timing between this moment, and the moment the opponent lose his vulnerability.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hay guise. Hope you've all had a great weekend, got some rest for the coming school/work week. Soooo after way too much time working on it, the stupid in-depth vid on Inhale is complete. Updated my original thread with the link as well. At least watch from 5:42 on if you want to skip the mechanics and get to the meaty stuff.

https://youtu.be/ShFyMsS7UJw

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Hay guise. Hope you've all had a great weekend, got some rest for the coming school/work week. Soooo after way too much time working on it, the stupid in-depth vid on Inhale is complete. Updated my original thread with the link as well. At least watch from 5:42 on if you want to skip the mechanics and get to the meaty stuff.
Buff Dedede? Why would they do that? I say we remove the windbox from Inhale, give Gordo less priority, and nerf Greninja.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Buff Dedede? Why would they do that? I say we remove the windbox from Inhale, give Gordo less priority, and nerf Greninja.
Now let's not go too far. Obviously the best way to balance this game would be to give Sheik a killthrow, restore the Hoo-Hah, and make Gordo just automatically reflect itself back into D3's face upon use.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110

https://youtu.be/ShFyMsS7UJw
Always been a huge fan of Inhale, and I'm glad you finally got around to making that video about it. That followup chart was very useful, and I'll definitely be thinking about that.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Online tournament match(The Salty Transmission 4) -Winners Finals

(:4ness:,:4dedede:) Banzai VS Hachi (:4diddy:)
That Diddy had no chill. You could see him getting flustered, and it was great. You handled the stage counter picks well. I don't see how Delfino can be tournament legal. Even Lylat is kind of iffy.

The Banzai

Smash Rookie
NNID
parisigns2
That Diddy had no chill. You could see him getting flustered, and it was great. You handled the stage counter picks well. I don't see how Delfino can be tournament legal. Even Lylat is kind of iffy.
Thanks m8,i really appreciate it!

Ti-Phil

Smash Rookie
I would like to present to you other Dedede players what happens when The king meets a Jigglypuff that wants to rest too much.

Enjoy

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
Here's one of Dedede pre-patch. For Glory Little Macs are funny.

Oh, go on then, Have another. More For Glory shenanigans.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I could use some harsh criticizing.
i need help
I meant to reply to this a couple weeks ago, but I can offer some advice. First, remember Dedede is a punishment-based character. Stay on the ground, and punish those whiffed grabs hard. While Dedede can get pretty savage, ZSS wins in a battle of aggression. If you look at your footage, you just sprint head first into countless ftilts, plasma shots, grabs and more. Even if you were trying to read a roll, that ZSS wasn't having it. On the topic of rolls, you panic rolled a few times when she started getting in close. Her grab lingers a bit at the end of the whip, so she could easily snag a bad roll. Just be aware of that. Also, I wouldn't challenge ZSS in the air. Her nair and upair beat out pretty much every aerial we have.
General gist: stay on the ground and punish. The second you focused on your ground game, you started to see results, especially since that ZSS had almost no real mix-ups. Baiting out the tether grab a few times might've ended those matches even earlier.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Well, I believe I posted in this Thread two or three months back asking for some advice on my King Dedede play.

I tried my best to take some of that advice to heart, such as using grabs more often when I never have previously and using some combos to my advantage to get said grabs. I do believe that advice has helped me a little bit and now I am here once again to gain some more. Anything will be greatly appreciated and helpful as I know I do have some bad habits and certainly wish to improve even more.

MATCH ONE (FOR GLORY) | :4dedede: VS :4ganondorf: !
I played several matches with this guy and I can say he was a pretty decent Ganondorf. He was able to beat most of my mains at times except for King Dedede, who when in use I would always get a two-stock against him. He was definitely tricky at times to play against.

MATCH TWO (FOR GLORY) | :4dedede: VS :4dk: !
I know I came off rather cocky/not so much of a nice guy, but after a few matches with this player I can honestly say he had it coming. He thought he could be cocky and taunt constantly just because I was practicing with Villager and lost a few matches due to this.

I guess he wasn't really expecting the "De" this round. Hahahaaaaa... I'll just let myself out.

FINAL MATCH (FOR GLORY) :4dedede: VS :4falcon: !
This guy was honestly pretty defensive at times and often made edge guarding pretty hard to do; however after I caught onto his play-style and adjusted to it he began to become a bit more easier to handle. I know I did a little too much Neutral A at the start.

Dat ending tho.

Any thoughts on what I did well and what I could do better to further aid my play as Dedede?

Last edited:

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Well, I believe I posted in this Thread two or three months back asking for some advice on my King Dedede play.
I do believe that advice has helped me a little bit and now I am here once again to gain some more. Anything will be greatly appreciated and helpful as I know I do have some bad habits and certainly wish to improve even more.
Any thoughts on what I did well and what I could do better to further aid my play as Dedede?
First things first, you're playing Smash 4; you gotta grab. You attempted to grab once in all three of those videos. Grabbing is easily one of, if not the, most important pieces of the meta. Dedede can't do a whole lot out of grab other than fair and upair, but those can lead into absolutely savage chains. It's not hard to rack up 60+% in less than ten seconds off of a single grab, but you have to grab. Not to mention the extra damage from pummels and bthrow and the follows-ups from fthrow.
Also, don't forget Dedede has combos. They're not always the most applicable, but they exist. Late nair into utilt is one of my favorites. Late nair into upair can even function as a psuedo-kill confirm.

Top Bottom