• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Theater - King Dedede Video Thread

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Well, I believe I posted in this Thread two or three months back asking for some advice on my King Dedede play.

I tried my best to take some of that advice to heart, such as using grabs more often when I never have previously and using some combos to my advantage to get said grabs. I do believe that advice has helped me a little bit and now I am here once again to gain some more. Anything will be greatly appreciated and helpful as I know I do have some bad habits and certainly wish to improve even more.
Welcome to the forums! What Jack told you was great - you do need to grab and combo much more. And frankly, your opponents weren't very good, and more often than not just walked into your hammer. It's annoying self-promotion, but I really recommend you watch the D3 video guide first right here. I think it'll really help your game - especially with followups, then on intentionality and setups.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Welcome to the forums! What Jack told you was great - you do need to grab and combo much more. And frankly, your opponents weren't very good, and more often than not just walked into your hammer. It's annoying self-promotion, but I really recommend you watch the D3 video guide first right here. I think it'll really help your game - especially with followups, then on intentionality and setups.
The guide is so good tho

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
Wahey, finally found some footage of mine (thought they were uploading to a different channel, whoops!). As such, the clips are about a month old, but should still be relevant to my play. Please tear into them; I know I've got a lot of work to do toward improving!

(:4dedede:) Gage vs. Hitokiri (:4fox:)
(:4dedede:) Gage vs. ChompsOnTheLoose (:4falcon:)
(:4dedede:) Gage vs. Bpow (:4diddy:)
I think the best advice I can give is space and timing. I've seen a fair amount of shorthop bairs and airdrop bairs. Some of them have hit, but in some cases you hit the ground before the hammer passed under your feet, causing minimal landing lag. Grabby characters, like Falcon and Diddy, punish those heavily. The Fox tried to punish those much less, it seemed more defensive to me. Other bairs came out when D3 was still in rising animation, again a timing thing, causing you to miss the fast fall.

Short hop nairs are generally useless if the enemy is away from you, it leaves you in a pretty long animation just in reach to be grabbed. I've also seen numerous cases where you fast falled nair for trying to land. I'd suggest mixing that up more with inhales like you did with Fox at 6:40, as I've seen multiple nair landings right into shields, perfect for grabs.

I've also seen some jabs and ftilts, those are just barely punishable, but then all three of the above happen to be fast, so they can punish those, and they have. Instead I suggest you use more pivot-tilts, perfect for taming fast and aggressive opponents. Jabs and ftilts are more suitable to finish off areal combo's with D3 when the opponent is about to land.

Lastly, some small things. Don't throw Gordo when the opponent is diagonally down from D3. In fact, this is generally the worst place to be as D3 facing Falcon, as you're giving him the option to either juggle or knee. Do anything you can (jump, fall, di away) to avoid being at 1-3 o'clock from Falcon's range. I also don't think I've seen down-tilted Gordo's. They're also useful for taming opponents, as it usually makes them think it's a standard, having them waste time shielding or trying to reflect. Down-tilt Gordo's are actually my favorite, as they create a nice little box for the opponent to stay in, waste time, while my D3 approaches.

Please don't let this wall of text discourage you. I wouldn't dare to call myself an expert and your D3 was by no means anywhere near bad.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Nah, this is exactly what I was looking for. Criticism is good.

Since these went up I've improved on the timing on shorthop bair a bit. Still not got it down 100% yet. Also still nair-ing too much, deffo need to work on mixups.

Appreciate the feedback!

DKoopaKid

Smash Rookie
NNID
DKoopaKid
Uh hi. Seeing how tourney matches of DDD are being posted I was wondering if I could post matches of my own. I ask because I wanna show the king out and ask for some constructive criticism to improve my gameplay. Thanks, and long live the king.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Ok, so I play D3 like 90% of the time whenever I play my wife in Smash 4. I taught her how to play, and she mains charizard, so its always pretty easy wins. Lately though, she has been secretly training in the hyperbolic time chamber, and then she popped up and challenged to a game to decide who was forced to clean downstairs of our house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ClWpB4sC1g&ab_channel=ProducerShane

TL is pretty insane. lol

Anyone else got videos on this matchup?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Dang, her Toon Link is so aggressive. And FunniBunni has to be my favorite smash tag ever, lol.

I haven't really played any Toon Links tbh. I didn't even know Toon Link could be played that agressively, most of the ones I've seen have been very campy. Looks really tough for Dedede.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
...she popped up and challenged to a game to decide who was forced to clean downstairs of our house.
TL is pretty insane. lol
Anyone else got videos on this matchup?
Nice, no cleaning the downstairs for you. Props to her for training hard though. Here's a me vs a Toon Link on For Glory from my Powerful Penguin playlist:

https://youtu.be/4nf9zaGt-Ak?list=PL3-caAkfWGO4QfTR3rXV5x7bOrTGDwJHY
Gordos are deceptively good in this match up, but as you might notice, they're effective mostly off stage where Toon Link won't be able to put a wall of projectile to deflect them. This is especially true when Toon Link is recovering mid to low because his vertical and somewhat slow (slow compared to Dedede's at least) up special. On top of that, the hookshot won't grant edge invincibility, so Gordo can snag some easy damage or even put Toon Link in a position where he no longer has his second jump.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Yeah, I see that the gordo traps still apply offstage. Bad habit of mine whenever I don't have a clue on what the other player is doing, throw out a gordo. I had no idea what TL could do, didnt even know that back throw would kill me. Luckily gordo came through at the end.

TMJ_Jack , I saw the possibility of the amazing Gordo > up b combo, wish you had gone for it

Cook

Smash Master
Here's grand finals, Dedede vs Mewtwo, Peach, and Lucas. Neither of us are that good, but always nice to have some tourney footage of Dedede for people to analyze. I know a lot of mistakes I made, but I'd anyone has some advice I'm all ears!

https://youtu.be/M0Anxbp3qf0

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Here's grand finals, Dedede vs Mewtwo, Peach, and Lucas. Neither of us are that good, but always nice to have some tourney footage of Dedede for people to analyze. I know a lot of mistakes I made, but I'd anyone has some advice I'm all ears!
https://youtu.be/M0Anxbp3qf0
Those were fun matches, but your opponent seemed a little less competitive than I would have expected from a Grand Finals match. Was Windy just not experienced against Dedede or something?
Since you're in the Missouri area, have you been to or heard of CoMoMo? I might be going to 8 and probably 9.

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
Those were fun matches, but your opponent seemed a little less competitive than I would have expected from a Grand Finals match. Was Windy just not experienced against Dedede or something?
Since you're in the Missouri area, have you been to or heard of CoMoMo? I might be going to 8 and probably 9.
Well, he's the best player in Springfield, IL but that's not saying a ton. He did come to a Stl tourney and took a set off our best player at the time and some of our other ranked guys, getting second (I think he got 6-0ed by said best player in grands though). So he's def not bad, but I had never played him before. There were actually 2 other Dedede's in bracket, so I assume he's got practice, but maybe I'm a bit better than them.

I have not yet been to a CoMoMo, but I want to go to one sometime. It's only an hour and a half from me.

Last edited:

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
Made a montage video that showcases different cool stuff from my current replays. Hope you guys enjoy it! I also drew the picture I used for the thumbnail.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3jjqEN9f0

I know you guys really dislike online in general, but I've started playing a lot more on Anthers and decided to put together a video of highlights from only Anthers matches.

Also, I haven't SD'd on Lylat ever since I learned to recover a bit further out with up B. I think this stage has a lot of potential for Gordo mix ups.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3jjqEN9f0

I know you guys really dislike online in general, but I've started playing a lot more on Anthers and decided to put together a video of highlights from only Anthers matches.

Also, I haven't SD'd on Lylat ever since I learned to recover a bit further out with up B. I think this stage has a lot of potential for Gordo mix ups.
Haha so great. My gawd dat hit at :50...and then the sequence after, man I can feel the salt. In almost every clip I was like "yes now I hope he goes for...YES HE DID WHEE."

But let's be real. The music choice is probably the best part of the vid ;)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Those gordo uses on Lylat were absolutely filthy...some potential for 20D3 gameplay there perhaps? :p

This match isn't particularly impressive here (and I distinctly recall there being some lag when I played with this guy) but I want to share it anyways because of the ending: https://youtu.be/HIqfWPuV-gY

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Those gordo uses on Lylat were absolutely filthy...some potential for 20D3 gameplay there perhaps? :p

This match isn't particularly impressive here (and I distinctly recall there being some lag when I played with this guy) but I want to share it anyways because of the ending: https://youtu.be/HIqfWPuV-gY
I really think that Lylat is not a bad stage for DDD. Understanding Gordo physics is important for this stage. If you go to T&C the middle platform in the beginning that rises up and down is a great example to use and experiment with to understand exactly why Gordo gets eaten on Lylat. If you notice when you place Gordo on the middle platform while it's rising against Gordo that essentially kills it instantly, though once it's fully risen or when it's descending it doesn't. Same idea with Lylat. While Lylat is in the motion of tilting upwards on either side it will eat Gordo when thrown against it, but not once it's fully tilted or tilting downwards.

Anyways I loved the Dthrow to empty jump onto the platform to usmash on that Pacman that was actually really smart.

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Last edited:

Ti-Phil

Smash Rookie
While not much, I'd like to present this fight where the beginning has a Charizard going from 0 to KO without damaging Dedede.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Ranked match against Technique.
Fun match. Good movement from both players. I liked that deep spike in the middle there. You really have to know Dedede to know to go that deep for the gimp. Both you and Technique really have your combos into bair on lock. Good on him. I think you both would really benefit from turnaround and b-reversal Inhales.

Last edited:

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Heres a really good ditto between two of the better Dedede players in Chicago

I'm Technique (The Pink Dedede)

Last edited:
Top Bottom