• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Repertoire: An in-depth Peach moveset discussion! Currently discussing - Up Aerial

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado

Hello and welcome to the thread! I sincerely hope you enjoy the alliteration of the title :)

This thread is NOT for general tactical discussion regarding match ups/stages/best flavour of fruit juice etc.
For all general tactical discussion, please direct your discussion to this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/peac...-impressions-tier-list-discussion-etc.370774/ created by Yaaaay. You will also find other useful thread links in the first post

If you so desire, click on the spoiler tag to know a bit more about what this thread is about!​
What is the purpose of this thread?

The focus of this thread is to provide a place for Smashers to discuss the both the nitty-gritty details of Peach's moveset. It's essential in competitive Smash to fully understand your character if you plan on winning and have a good knowledge of ALL of your moves regardless of how often you might use them plays a massive role in that.

In particular, I want this thread to be a place where people can share ideas and tricks relating to Peach's moveset (both guaranteed and situational). The kind of discussion that may not be appropriate in specific match up discussion.
Every character walks. Every character runs. Every character jumps, airdodges, grabs the ledge etc. How do you react to these situations? How do you capitalise on somebody who spotdodges a lot for example? Which is the best move to use in general, non-matchup-specific scenarios?

At a high level of play where people know match ups inside-out, being victorious often boils down to making smart decisions, being able to notice your opponents patterns and punish accordingly, and generally being a better player.

I also feel this would be a good place to put information that may detract from a current topic of discussion/get lost in a sea of pages that might be found in a general tactical discussion.

How should the discussion work?

That should be a board decision! I originally thought we should do one move a week but that might take a long time to get through all of her moves...so perhaps discuss a move when we think we're done? Revisiting moves and discussing them again would be a good idea later on when the metagame has developed.

What kind of discussion should be be having in this thread?

Anything at all relating to her moves! Good questions you should ask yourself when discussing a move:

- What role does this move fulfil? Should I use it for building up damage? Camping? KO's?
- Does this move work well as a follow up to other moves?
- Is this move a good Out of Shield (OoS) option?
- Is this move good at punishing certain habits opponents may have?
- Does this move have any particularly niche uses? This is where mentioning specific characters would be appropriate (grab releases for example).

There are obviously lots more...

I hope this thread will prove useful. I will try and form a kind of contents page as we go along. With that, happy discussing everyone!

Current Discussion: Up Aerial

A move that had many of us wondering what it was before the games release, it's Peach's brand new Uair! Is her new rainbow-esque move more sunshine or mroe showers for Peach?

Discuss away!

Last edited:

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
i'd start these out with damage information, and the damage level it takes to ko jigglypuff, lowest weight, bowser, highest wait, and someone in the middle, maybe the mean weight character

i don't have anything useful to add for this move, i'm still understanding physics and learning hitboxes.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
i'd start these out with damage information, and the damage level it takes to ko jigglypuff, lowest weight, bowser, highest wait, and someone in the middle, maybe the mean weight character

i don't have anything useful to add for this move, i'm still understanding physics and learning hitboxes.
Getting Damage/KO data is indeed a plan for this thread - I should have properly mentioned that in the OP. I'm not sure why I omitted that...

I will be getting the game soon and will start attempting to collect data but some of it might be tricky to get without the help of someone else (especially KO data and moves that combo into each other) given that Stale Move Negation doesn't apply in Training Mode. Certainly for the time being I will try and get damage % output recorded here, with the eventual hope that combos/KO/frame data will be established.

Be sure to add your thoughts later then! :) I'm not expecting this thread to take off until people get a better feel of the game but I figured a thread like this may be helpful further down the line :)

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
Omg her dair breaks shields after 2 times like that's crazy and then their options are limited after a dair because they can't shield again

UAir has so much priority and is great for combos imp and it's just a great approuch and combo tool

Fair is so much better this game since it's strength was buffed and it has lots of hitstun and Is good for spacing

Bair and nair I feel is the same

Usmash and tennis racket and frying pan kills EARLY

dsmash is good for racking up percents

F-tilt is good for combos but i don't like her U-tilt now

Her d-tilt has so much hitstun like I think it has the most in the whole game

Peach bomber is so good like its a miracle

Her parasol looks like it goes higher now and it's a good stage spike and the finishing hit on it is strong now so

I love how she's turning out

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving forward aerial in this game. At first, I was worried about its slowness. However, the new (glitchy?) Float Canceling Vegetal Toss mechanic is a blessing to it. It completely nullifies all of its landing lag. Forward aerial even ignores stale-move negation when performed while floating. This means it's great for combos, punishes, edgeguards and pressures.... Truth to be told, this move is an accident, but the best one so far in SSB4!

Also, compared to its previous versions in Melee / Brawl / PM, I believe it has highest knockback of them all.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Fair is such a good edgeguard. When Captain Falcon is recovering, you can actually ground float a fair and it can hit him before his hands snap to the ledge.

Also, mid to high percent... read a ledge jump and KO with a fair :)

Up smash, frying pan kill really early. Like... even the up smash sour spot is powerful.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Something interesting to note about fair and using it was found when Peachkid and I decided to experiment a bit. It seems around 60%, you can for sure link a fair from a dair on a fellow Peach. Afterward, dair starts sending too high up to get a followup with this move.

Outside of when you have a turnip in hand, though, this move is no longer safe near the ground or at low percents, due to the amount of lag you will suffer. Use this move sparingly, and you'll have better chances of hitting it, even with its telegraphed windup!

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
I love Peach so much... that she's unexpectedly become the character that I play most out of my group of mains. Smash 4's been very kind to her! Tons of buffs, yet a couple of slight nerfs here and there. Like Dark Pch said in his character analysis, spacing with Peach is absolutely essential. Learning how to ground float and combining those with her aerials allow her to space effectively and is a necessity. She has good mind game potential and a great amount of kill moves in the form of her Bair, her back throw, her side smash (all of which seem to be able to kill relatively early) and ESPECIALLY her Sair! :4peach:

Last edited:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Yeah, her Fair is still awesome - you just have to be careful not to fall into the trap of using it like you did in Brawl. It's still great for spacing, shield pressure, edgeguarding, killing and all that stuff. TBH, the only thing she really lost in that regard was the ability to safely short hop Fair.

I've found that a good way to approach SSB4 Peach in general is to treat her as a brand new character and re-learn her from the ground up, given that so many of her moves have been altered (mostly for the better!)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Guys, I got 4th out of 74 entrants in a tournament yesterday going mostly Peach (all besides one set, when I went Yoshi cuz I'm sick of spacing against Wario, it's boring) The Fair is still amazing, trust me, I hit with it like 10 times per stock. Haha.

ryuujinx

Smash Apprentice
Move is still super good. Because of being able to cancel the landing lag into a turnip throw via down+b and the lack of stale moving out of float it still seems like a goto in most situations.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Been very busy as of late which is why I've not been maintaining the thread.

Forward Aerial

This move is still brilliant and in many ways it's got a lot better. It's a very reliable kill move and very potent at the ledge/offstage - I've managed to score kills as low as 80% using this move offstage and in a game where it's not uncommon for people to live to 150%+, that's extremely powerful. Her new 2nd jump allows her to edgeguard a lot more efficiently with Fair as you can drop down, use the move and still make it back onto the stage. Speaking of the ledge, if you push away whilst hanging on the ledge and use your 2nd jump and Fair together, you can land lagleslly back onstage whilst covering yourself with Fair!

It's range is also great - it now hits above her and I swear the range has got longer too. Ground Floating this move is really good!

It also combos from Dair - like @ Mikey Lenetia Mikey Lenetia mentioned, you can Floating Dair your opponent and Fair them afterwards up until about 50 - 60%.

This move doesn't stale when you use it during Float! It does 15% damage and seemingly does not stale provided you input Fair during a Float.

Something I really like to do - due to the new hitstun, lots of people like to use their 2nd jump to avoid avoid follow up attacks. Using Peach's Fair in tandem with her 2nd jump, you can often score a hit by predicting when people are going to use their 2nd jump (usually if they've been forced near the edge of the stage) and following them as they rise up and smacking them with a Fair.

HOWEVER...not everything is good about the new Fair.

The new landing lag is, to put it bluntly, ****ing awful. Landing incorrectly gives you a whopping 22 frames of lag. The key to landing laglessly with Fair is to land when Peach has put the crown back on her head. It is possible to land laglessly with a SH Fair but you MUST input the Fair at the very start of the jump.

Because of this new landing lag, imo you have be much more careful using it in Smash 4. Landing back on stage is especially tricky because whiffing this move can lead to some nasty punishment. Consider simply trying to avoid incoming attacks rather than challenging them Fair if you're getting close to the ground.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'd just like to add, even at midrange of this movie's full reach is usually enough to push someone too far back to shieldgrab, that said close range it's bad on shield, even with a turnip. Other than that it is excellent on shield,especially if you are retreating while doing it which is difficult for a lot of characters to punish.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Absolutely lovely to have with the advent of Toss Cancelling. I'm trying to think of what else to add...it usually does 15% damage or around that. A GREAT horizontal finisher, especially if someone is recovering high/ can't make it down to the ledge in time. While its endlag is very real, it does have a small autocancel window and immense range. I wonder if @Praxis has used this move a lot yet. In Brawl, Peach's Fair could outrange a LOT of stuff. Any insights, Prax???

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
fast falling your fairs from a float is very effective to catching people off guard
they simply don't expect the approach that fast
you will get the ending lag but that doesn't matter if it connects because they're going offstage anyway

it's a good mixup from float to fast fall nair to grab
really the fair is just a wall of pain when you apply it right

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Yes sorry for not being more up to date! Work stuff...

Not sure if it's been said but one last thing on Fair - Ground Floating Fair can hit people on the ledge (who have no invincibility). The aiming is very precise but you're pretty much guaranteed to kill if manage to trump them and hit them with this.

Let's move onto Uair.

I miss her old Uair but this one certainly makes up for up it. Good cover, decent damage...not massively strong in the killing department but can get the job done.

Ground Floating Uair is good to throw out if you think someone is going to jump up for an aerial - you can often catch them out if they jump at you with a Fair/Bair. It also works nicely in forcing people to airdodge as they land, resulting in landing lag that you can then punish (I normally follow up with a Ground Floating Nair).

One character I've noticed the move is good against is ROB - it cuts through his Nair! Next time you have trouble with a ROB who likes to land with Nairs, shove a Uair in his face :)

A word of caution for this move though - be careful of airdodgers! If an opponent airdodges past you just as you start to use Uair, they will be able to act before your Uair has finished, leaving yourself open to a punish...

dskank

Smash Journeyman
on most other characters peaches up air would be god like, but peach is slow as ****, limiting its usefulness. that said its still fast with a big disjointed hit box. it can be used for frame traps and it combos into itself at low percents, but it has a weird multihit property that launches the opponent at unpredictable trajectories.

it really shines on stages with platforms because floating beneath a opponent on a platform and harassing them with it is pretty safe.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
on most other characters peaches up air would be god like, but peach is slow as ****, limiting its usefulness. that said its still fast with a big disjointed hit box. it can be used for frame traps and it combos into itself at low percents, but it has a weird multihit property that launches the opponent at unpredictable trajectories.

it really shines on stages with platforms because floating beneath a opponent on a platform and harassing them with it is pretty safe.
She isn't that slow, but yea it's a great move, better then her previous Uair in almost every way.
I know we're not talking about this move, but does Peachs Dtilt meteor smash Ariel opponents anymore?

Again on Uair, it's one of the best ariels and I love using it, it's so good for ending/starting combos and is just so gooood.
I only wish it could hit grounded opponents more reliably, because only some tall/large characters get hit.

Top Bottom