• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roster Size Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think we will get from 48 to 52 characters, and I think that "More than 48 doesn't fit on a 3DS screen!!" Is the LAST of the problem of Sakurai's team. I really doubt that them would cut characters because the CSS wouldn't fit on the 3DS screen!

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Hey guys,

So far we have 33 characters confirmed for Smash 4. Sakurai is going to have 50 playable characters for the latest installment of his beloved series. I assure you, THIS LIST is dead on.

The original 12 from SSB1 will be in the game. So we're still getting... CAPTAIN FALCON, NESS, and JIGGLY PUFF. (3 more)

These next guys premiered in Melee and have become staples to the series. FALCO, GANONDORF, GAME & WATCH, and ICE CLIMBERS. (4 more)

Also, we'll get META KNIGHT and WARIO. The two most obvious picks from Brawl. (2 more)

We'll also get WOLF, but they reworked his moves a bit more to separate him from Fox and Falco. MEW TWO is in guys! This is to please the fans, and because he's way more relevant now in the Pokemon universe. (2 more)

These next three are Nintendo-owned newcomers: CHROM, SHULK, and the CHORUS MEN. Check the info on these guys out. They're gonna be wonderful additions. (3 more)

The following two are third-party. The first of them is none other than SNAKE. He's coming back everyone! And this last one is not only a third-party but also a new comer... *drum roll*... RAYMAN! Yep, Sakurai put him in. That's five third-party reps in total: Making up 10% of the roster. (2 more)

The last one... RIDLEY. Deal with it. He's in guys. Sakurai loves the fans. (1 more)

Well, there it is. That's the confirmed 33 plus the 17 = Total of 50. If they're not on THIS LIST, they're not playable. That's a FACT! Yes, R.O.B. is cut. Sorry...
Absolutely "EVERYONE" on this list will be on the Super Smash Bros 4 roster.

P.S. ---- Dark Pit is an alternate costume for Pitt. Lucas, Dr. Mario, and Roy are alternates for Ness, Mario and Marth. No Pichu or Young Link or the remaining forbidden seven unfortunately (cuz I really wanted Dixie Kong). No King K Rool either... sadness.

Who am I? The American JEDI.
SSB for LIFE!!!
No! :snake:Is cut Riley is Not in but yes, Dark Pit is going to be an alternate costume for Pit :4pit: What I think the roster is.
Nick's SSB4 Roster 8.0.png

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think that the 47+Random roster is perfectly feasible. However, I also think it could quite easily be more. In particular, a total of 52 slots is feasible on both Wii U + 3DS, as well as having rosters which arrange in ways that make sense and do not contradict demo arrangements. An example is in spoilers below:

Please don't jump down my throat because Ridley's not on there, that's a personal belief of mine and not really relevant to the same discussion. In particular, if you are a Ridley supporter you can still have a roster of this type working by removing Dixie, moving Wario (or Yoshi) up on the 3DS screen and thus giving room for Ridley next to Metroid without messing the rest up.

4x13 for Wii U is something I've seen argued over and over as possible, with the main response seeming to be "What about 3DS?". Well, 6x9 for the 3DS maintains the L/W ratio perfectly whereas 6x8 (the expected one) does not. Moreover, the roster I presented shows that it is perfectly possible to have a reasonable 52 slot roster for both versions that also fits with the demo rosters. Pikachu/Greninja swapping places I believe is explained by the Pokemon selection coming near the beginning/end of a line in each respectively. Whilst in the Wii U roster there are a lot of single character franchises placed between Fire Emblem and Pokemon to make this happen (whereas they are afterwards on 3DS), this kind of thing actually has precedent - In particular, Little Mac goes from before Star Fox in the 3DS to all the way after Pokemon in the Wii U demo rosters. Also, the sort of roster posted above actuallly explains why Little Mac might make that transition, to complete the row before Pokemon and stopping FE from being fractured as a series.

DANICK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0619-4467-3811
I believe 52 fix for the two versions

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
EDIT: Here's mine

See how many different possibilities are there?
I decided to go through the process of figuring it out, and your wii u list is almost EXACTLY the same as the one I came up with (different locations but the exact same characters in each row).

The only thing I'm iffy on is miis. I actually don't think they're getting a traditional slot on the roster, because there's really no way to do it. If your mii is based on your appearance then they can't make concept art for every single possibility of miis, it's impossible. We also have to keep in mind miis are not allowed in online play which implies that they'll either be X'd out, or just disappear from the roster (neither of which will visually look appealing). If you want to look at it another way, then consider amiibos. Sakurai and co cannnot sell mii amiibos the traditional way because no one wants the generic looking mii characters - they want THEIR face or the face of THEIR mii character. By the same argument they won't use the generic mii concept art for character selection either.

So I'm going on a hunch that miis will be selected in a different way. I think it might be linked in some way to how you can name your characters in melee and brawl but more in depth, and I think this will tie into custom movesets as well (the name you select will save all custom movesets, unlocked costumes for your mii, which mii you use, etc). Then miis may have a separate button on the screen to indicate it's use. Kind of like how in Animal Crossing New Leaf you can click a button and put on a mii mask, that sort of thing.

ANYWAYS my point of mentioning all that is this means there's a blank slot on the top row. Meaning either a new Mario, DK or Metroid rep that has yet to be announced. I also think the final roster will be 48 with 4 DLC characters (one for each row).

My hunch is that Ridley will be the final character, and that the DLC characters will be Dixie, Lucas, Mewtwo and an unknown 4th character (could be anyone, maybe Takamaru or hopefully Isaac).

EDIT: My other thought was that the Chorus Kids could end up next to Wario and there would be a blank spot on the 4th row since Wario and Rhythm Heaven are tied together, but visually I don't think it would look good.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Perhaps my roster prediction of 48 (this is counting Miis) was too ambitious, but I'm sticking to that. This game needs a delay. A big one. No one wants to hear it, but you can absolutely forget about a dream roster without one. SBB4 could be a gem with a mature cast (Dixie, Rool, Mewtwo, etc.) and very minimal game-breaking mechanics and glitches, but since they feel as though they need to rush this to stores before Santa Claus comes squeezing down the chimney, the game may suffer.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Perhaps my roster prediction of 48 (this is counting Miis) was too ambitious, but I'm sticking to that. This game needs a delay. A big one. No one wants to hear it, but you can absolutely forget about a dream roster without one. SBB4 could be a gem with a mature cast (Dixie, Rool, Mewtwo, etc.) and very minimal game-breaking mechanics and glitches, but since they feel as though they need to rush this to stores before Santa Claus comes squeezing down the chimney, the game may suffer.
I don't understand. How does having all these characters yet to be revealed mean they must not have been worked on yet? Why wouldn't the devs keep some things secret?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I don't understand. How does having all these characters yet to be revealed mean they must not have been worked on yet? Why wouldn't the devs keep some things secret?
The Palutena and Gematsu leaks have shown they're having some issues in that department. It seems despite their best efforts, major bits of information are still coming out. It's the entire reason we know the bulk of the roster before the game is even released.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The Palutena and Gematsu leaks have shown they're having some issues in that department. It seems despite their best efforts, major bits of information are still coming out. It's the entire reason we know the bulk of the roster before the game is even released.
But just because we've had a decent amount leaked doesn't mean the leaked information is 100% true and up to date, nor does it mean that it's all the information. The source already either missed or decided not to reveal a couple things, which gives us reason to believe there can be more.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
But just because we've had a decent amount leaked doesn't mean the leaked information is 100% true and up to date, nor does it mean that it's all the information. The source already either missed or decided not to reveal a couple things, which gives us reason to believe there can be more.
I hope there is more and your point is highly valid.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I Personally feel that a 13 X 4 is very unappealing, and considering that the Brawl Roster tended to shift around after Characters started to be unlocked, here is my 10 X 5 Roster:

1st Row:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K.Rool

2nd Row:
Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Impa, Ice Climbers, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley

3rd Row:
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Olimar, Villager, Ness, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf

4th Row:
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Shulk, Marth, Ike, Chrom

5th Row:
Pit, Palutena, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Marshal, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man

in the 6th row of the 1st column, Mii Fighters,
in the 6th row of the 10th column, Random

DLC fills in columns 2-9 of the 6th Row

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I imagine DLC to take up one character square. When clicked it'd go to a separate CSS with all of the DLC Chars. I'll whip up a quick visual representation of what I mean.

Last edited:

ShadowX39

Smash Rookie
I apologize for my previous expectation on roster, now I have no idea how this will turn out

ShadowX39

Smash Rookie

My latest expectation, though now that clones are a thing who knows what will happen

Last edited:

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
I imagine DLC to take up one character square. When clicked it'd go to a separate CSS with all of the DLC Chars. I'll whip up a quick visual representation of what I mean.
Ah! I hadn't actually thought about DLC characters in relation to the roster layout before. With the inevitability of DLC, does that mean all this CSS discussion could be null, and we could simply get multiple pages for characters beyond what already fit?

I personally think 54 is the magic number, but 55 is all I want (because it fulfills a dream of mine, when I said to a friend that 55 was the absolute maximum the Smash 4 roster could get to). I'm not sure if this would require two pages of roster, though?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
After Robin's and Lucina's reveal, I'm preatty sure that we will see at least 50 characters (51 with random).

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I am expecting a 52 slot roster with 3 Mii slots and Random. Sakurai's argument on todays Miiverse picture on why Lucina gets her own slot despite being a Marth clone applies to the different Mii archetypes as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

My latest expectation, though now that clones are a thing who knows what will happen
Pretty much what I expect except I think there will be one more clone newcomer. Lucas might also come back, although he's still my top cut outside of Squirtle, Ivysaur and Snake.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace

I think this is very close to what the actual roster will be. We can assume most of the Brawl veterans are coming back, and that this will be roughly the size of the roster, considering the clues we have. Some questions do remain:

- K. Rool's spot may go to Dixie, if there's a new DK character that is
- Ridley's spot may go to someone else (Metroid related or not) if he indeed ends up as part of Pyrosphere
- Shulk and, especially, "Chorus Men" may not make it; Their spots may go to Sakurai's classic "retro character" or "quirky, unexpected character", or just a new franchise
- Mewtwo may not come back, his spot may go to someone else
- Lucas might be back

Can't wait for the next reveal so things take shape further. :)

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I think at this point, predicting anything less than 50 is just pointlessly pessimistic.

We currently have 36 announced characters.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4tlink::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4kirby::4dedede::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4fox::4falcon::4olimar::4littlemac::4villager::4wiifit::4mii::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:

Next, let's factor in all of the vets who are definitely returning no matter what:
:ness2::jigglypuff::popo::falco::ganondorf::gw::warioc::metaknight::rob:

Yes, R.O.B. is coming back. I don't know why everyone thinks otherwise. Four of the above characters have essentially already been confirmed. Ice Climbers, Ness, and Wario all have franchise content in the game, and G&W appeared in the Pac-Man trailer. Jigglypuff, Falco, and Ganondorf are all staples, and Meta Knight and ROB aren't going anywhere either. With these nine shoe-ins included, we're already at 45. With the reveal that Lucina is a clone, I see no reason that we shouldn't be expecting these two as well:
:lucas::wolf:

Now we're at 47. We already know that there is at least one newcomer left based on Sakurai mentioning more trailers. That brings us to 48. From here, any combination of further newcomers or two very hype but still uncertain vets: :snake::mewtwomelee:
will essentially bring us to 50 or more. Mewtwo was directly acknowledgd by Sakurai in a press conference and is one of the most highly requested characters. We can't be sure about Snake, but I think that seeing Rayman's trophy suggests that maybe we're not quite done with third party characters...

As far as more newcomers, I'd say Shulk, Marshal/ Chorus Men, Ridley, K. Rool/Dixie, and perhaps a new retro all have a decent shot. If all seven of those characters get in, we're at 54, which fits a character select screen well with 5 rows of 11 if you include the random box. 54 is just my personal hope, but anything less than 50 is simply illogical at this point. I guess you could make a case for 48 if Wolf and Lucas don't return, but I really can't see why they wouldn't. They require less development time than other characters and were both popular inclusions in Brawl. I think a 54 character roster (38 vets, 16 newcomers) is pretty much the best case scenario, if just a tad bit optimistic. 16 newcomers may sound like a lot, but while it's more than Melee, it's still less than Brawl, and clones make up at least one, if not more of those newcomers.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I looking at 51 between 55

This is the low end

Mewtwo : NO more 6 pokemon is impossible, if fire emblem can get a overkill 4 reps pokemon can get 6.

Ridley : that gemsatu leak being fake made ridley the new palutena before reveal (in likely hood wise.) as a matter of fact i would not be surprised at all if Ridleys the august direct character revealed. (If sakurai reveals someone at that but excellent chance due to almost done revealing every newcomer.)

King k rool: heavier odds than dixie kong
Anyway the kermlings are enemy's in smash run. And there are good hints
  1. The boxing ring lights falll a reference to diddy kongs part of the king k rool fight in 64.
  2. The smash run arena is the shape of a pirate ship.
Shulk: oh hes fine even though the leak is dead, the xenoblade guys are tweeting about smash bros so sakurai probably gave them this for tweeting him. (Plus he's the most requested character in japan.)

Rhythm heaven girl : not really its morely like a rhythm heaven rep (the sneaky spirit is still a enemy.)

(Now lucas is not on there but trust me i accidentally forgot to add lucas while making this, he replaces the ryhthm heaven rep if in, that rep can still get the same thing as animal crossing in brawl no rep despite being in.)

Now for high end

Bring back the rhythm heaven rep/lucas.

Sceptile: same as mewtwo but fits the starter type triangle and that ruby and sapphire got a remake.

A retro rep: im see atleast 1 new retro rep for in this case maybe mach rider or duck hunt dog.

Girahim: from the trophy quiz rumor and that hes pretty requested it kills me to say it but (for low end replace ganondorf with him.)

There you go any thoughts?

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Dont u forget, " the bottom of the Stash "

+ mewtwo could be a greninja and lucario Clone
Or the other way around i donnuo.

And i think maby... 45 or 50, if sakurai want to save his biggest newcomer videos for last.( like how there was two newcomers in this one ).

But don't forget the bottom of the stash.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
51 is a pretty solid number 4 x 13 with a Random Icon. We've got 36 characters, and I think the only cuts we'll get are Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake. R.O.B, Wolf, and Lucas aren't 100% in, but all the other vets are. I think we WILL get a Rhythm Heaven rep, although it might not be Chorus Men after Gematsu's death. Ridley has a chance, I'm not starting that argument, I think he might be in. King K. Rool has an even better chance thanks to Kremlings and the lack of a revealed DK stage. Shulk's been teased by his voice actor, but Gematsu's death does hurt him. I still think he'll get in though. That's my roster, which you can see in my signature.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Starting and hidden
No no no

(Now i agree 100% i think these are going to be the characters in my opinion.

But Way to many starters

:4luigi::4lucario::4tlink: Those veterans are 90% chance have to be unlocked

No way all 4 fire emblem reps are going to be starters

:4falcon: I believe you have to unlock him in this but can't judge due to melee

:falco: Now he's ben unlock able in all of them no surprise it will happen again.

Now as for the rhythm heaven rep well just doubtful on chorus men it could be another one, but i think this rep has to be unlocked in my opinion

Shulk same as captain falcon can go either way.

And finally palutena 3rd time same situation as captain falcon.

Everything else perfect.

Last edited:

ShadowX39

Smash Rookie
He didn't make any of the announced characters hidden for Brawl outside of third parties

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He didn't make any of the announced characters hidden for Brawl outside of third parties
Luigi = year of luigi

Lucario = smash bros brawl anniversary

Toon link = release of new wind walker game wii u bundle

So some are just shown for special cases

And as for certain newcomers looks like too good to be true to be starters. (Especially fire emblem. Im sure 1 or 2 of them have to be unlocked.) (excluding megaman and pac-man.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom