• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Right Mindset And Believing In Yourself: Not Just As A Competitor, But A Smasher.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I've been with the smash community for about a year and a half and I've noticed that a lot of smashers do not have the right mindset when entering particular matches. I've also noticed that people tend to lose hope during a match or, do not entering events because they know they "aren't going to make any money." Is that really what this community has come to? It all being about making money? I'm sorry guys but if making money is what you are playing Melee for.....go take up Brawl.

Believing that you can succeed and do well is extremely essential into becoming a good/solid player in Melee. Not to sound lame, but it also helps with your everyday life as well. Confidence is essential in every aspect of life.....just do not be arrogant and full of yourself. If you don't think your going to pass your Physics test....you'll fail. If you think you're going to crash when driving in the snow....you most likely will. You get the point...anyway....

Here, take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY

Definitely one of my favorite smash brothers youtube videos. Every single thing that Gimpyfish says is true to the extreme.

Here are a few beautiful examples of why you should NEVER give up or think that you can't win.

Probably one of my better posts. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc&feature=channel_page This one is from ROM which happened last night. Never give up and play to win.

People tend to place players like M2K, PC, Azen Chu Dat, DaShizWiz etc on such a high ground and think "Oh my god! They are so good." Yes, this statement is true but, what makes them so special? All they are are people your age who just have more experience then you...thats all. They are not the Green Lantern, Superman, or The Thing. They are beatable and so are any other smasher who you play that kicks your butt all the time in your area. (whoever that may be.)

I can even give you a personal example that happened to me last week. At Mass Madness MattdotFAIL was asked by KDJ to play PC (as a joke...but matt took it seriously) He then played the tournament match and after found out that matt was making a joke so the tourney had to be adjusted. I was then pinned against KDJ and REQUESTED that he play his Sheik. We hit Random and were taken to Yoshis Story where I had Marth. I was able to get him down to one stock. Did I win? No. Did he probably do a bit of sandbagging and maybe not give 100%? Ummm.....yeah! But I tried my hardest and was able to give him hell. He JV 2 stocked me and then four stocked me with Captain Falcon (yeah, it ***** me....hard) but the point is is that I was happy with my effort and did much better than I ever thought I could.

Another personal example last night was at ROM. I was down by three stocks against a Captain Falcon player. I had just previously three stocked this persons Falco on FOD and was confident that I could wrap things up nicely. The next match began and I was surprised that he had a nice Falcon and started panicking. He killed me quickly and i found myself down and in trouble at around 50% against Falcon. I was able to re focus and get my head back in the game and make it close at the end for a 2-0 victory in the set. I also played beautifully well against Sensei and althought I lost, was really happy at how close i was able to make the matches. :)

Comebacks happen and you can/will improve as a player. It all starts with you and how determined you are as a player to grow. Do you need to dedicate your life? No, please dont.

These same examples apply to entering in tournaments. Keep Melee alive. Entering in tournaments costs money...so get a job and start entering. You Will Improve.

-POF

Geist

Smash Master
The placebo effect does wonders in tourneys. If you have a confident mindset, you'll do WAY better than someone who's negative.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Definitely an insightful and much needed post.. The Melee community is only what we make of it/put into it. Melee dies only if we allow it to do so.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I play so much better against top players. I play some person I know I can beat and I kinda slack off and then get really upset if I'm not doing as well as I think I should, which causes me to slip up more.

Then I play a good person and I get super focused and put everything into it that I can, so I pull off everything I've practiced perfectly. Then I do even better from the encouragement I've giving myself from having just done so well.

Because of this I can go from almost losing to someone who ends up coming in dead last (both to high percent on the last stock) to taking the player who ends up coming in 3rd overall in the entire 50+ person tournament to his last stock.

I highly suspect that the good players I do well against are falling into the same trap I mention in my first paragraph.

So, yeah, mindset makes a HUGE difference.

DOCTORSTUPID

Smash Apprentice
wow you stink you got pwned by JV2's cpt. falcon:laugh: and btw theres still money in melee i have tournements all the time, mainly bets but money is money, also brawl is harder to screw people over on and to make a long story short on encouragement given to faliures is not going to change the fact their failures;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well for tournaments, you gotta have a goal... and obviously it's the $$$. But along the way you gotta defeat amazing people to get it. Just think of it as the mountain you need to climb to reach the summit. Would you really go to tournaments if you didn't get a chance of winning at all? And obviously these tournaments are to improve yourself or else you can't get experience, that's how we all start. You just simply must have confidence in yourself and have a clear goal on what you want in smash. Fun? Being the best? Accomplishing the impossible? Any reason is good really.

Btw PoF, I remembered what you said.. and i will say this. Ganon is not a bad character and I will always bar your path to victory. Tread lightly... *grins*

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Kage, after seeing your matches with Shiz, I don't doubt that claim at all. Your Ganon is the real deal.

As for me: I'm pretty polished already but there is always room to improve, so I play the best players around to gain experience bit by bit and eventually my work will pay off and I'll come out of nowhere and win all of the money they thought they were going to win...Ninja Mango Pound 3 style! :laugh:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
In that case, you have to be ready to DOMINATE every Top Player. lol. I mean like ****** them 80% of the times at least. Can you imagine ****** M2K like that? =P

thumbswayup

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184822

From a thread I created a while ago. In it I state that my favorite thing about Melee is seeing myself doing things I thought impossible only months before. That's why I love it, you have to put in the time and dedication to better yourself. And man, seeing myself improve over time in this game has been one of the most satisfying feelings ever.

I really never thought I could be where I am today in this game. There was a time not long ago when I couldn't even L-cancel half the time :laugh: and I used to only play this game hit and run style, not really comboing. And then when I learned how to combo a whole new level of this game was revealed to me. Melee just keeps getting more profound as you learn more about the game. If you're creative and innovative enough, you can do anything in this game. Anything. No combo is impossible. That's why watching Melee is so great, you never know when something amazing is about to happen.

I've seen about 95% of all the Melee matches on youtube and been to quite a few tournies and let me tell you I see new things from this game every tourny I attend or view on youtube. There are no limits in this game.

Got a bit carried away with that pro-Melee rant lol. I had an awesome comeback against Chaos Knight's Marth on Dreamland with Falcon last week. He was three stocking me HARD and he jokingly said, "I'm sorry thumbs, but I don't ever see you winning this LOL I just have amazing mindgames and you aren't good enough yet". I took off his third stock shortly after he said this and he laughed. Then I zero to deathed his second stock. At this point he sat up from his chair and had a seriously look on his face as I laughed at what was happening. I played incredibly smart and finished him off, winning the match. The look on his face was priceless, it made my day. He smiled about it afterwards, and I knew he would never underestimate me again.

don't believe in yourself believe in me who believes in you.

trust me it works :psycho:
Row row fight the power.

Well for tournaments, you gotta have a goal... and obviously it's the $$$. But along the way you gotta defeat amazing people to get it. Just think of it as the mountain you need to climb to reach the summit. Would you really go to tournaments if you didn't get a chance of winning at all? And obviously these tournaments are to improve yourself or else you can't get experience, that's how we all start. You just simply must have confidence in yourself and have a clear goal on what you want in smash. Fun? Being the best? Accomplishing the impossible? Any reason is good really.

Btw PoF, I remembered what you said.. and i will say this. Ganon is not a bad character and I will always bar your path to victory. Tread lightly... *grins*
If you had told me a year ago that a Ganon would defeat several notable Fox players like KDJ and Jman and Falcons like Jiano and even Plank's Sheik I would never have believed it. Not in a million years. Incredible. Anything is possible in Melee <3

Corigames

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185258
ME said:
Basically, you have to keep your head on. If you get cocky, then you are going to lose when you should have won. If you are depressed about who you are going to face, you are going to lose before you even start. If you see a match coming that you feel you should win, stay in the game and treat it like you feel they are sandbagging. Punish them for everything and give them no mercy. If you are going into a match as an underdog, then think about how you are going to win. If you are getting punished for using the same tactic, switch it up. Don't panic and always think about you winning. No regrets, no fear. Just winning.
I already spoke out on this.

Top Bottom