• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, I don't see Riki as a strong example since he is not playable.
Well the first statement only described "duo role (dual role)" in that context and Riki in fact does have that. Regardless of being playable or not its still an example of a "duo role (dual role)".

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
May as well make one final comment here.

Dual roles do exist.
Toon Link, Riki, ROB and DK.

But for Playable sake let's not count the Heropon. Even then all 3 of those PC's are different incarnations. ROB can be different models, Playable TL is Wind Waker/PH whilst stage one is ST and Playale DK is Dk Jr, 75m is Cranky. DK and TL's "dual roles" carry over to SSB4.

What does this mean for Ridley?
There's a chance. Other M Ridley is a clone of the Real Ridley (died in Super Metroid) created from his DNA on Samus' suit.

Don't bother replying. I'm leaving this place before it implodes.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
May as well make one final comment here.

Dual roles do exist.
Toon Link, Riki, ROB and DK.

But for Playable sake let's not count the Heropon. Even then all 3 of those PC's are different incarnations. ROB can be different models, Playable TL is Wind Waker/PH whilst stage one is ST and Playale DK is Dk Jr, 75m is Cranky. DK and TL's "dual roles" carry over to SSB4.

What does this mean for Ridley?
There's a chance. Other M Ridley is a clone of the Real Ridley (died in Super Metroid) created from his DNA on Samus' suit.

Don't bother replying. I'm leaving this place before it implodes.
Can I at least like for truth?

too late I just did

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
R.O.B. in Brawl is both a family of enemy mooks and a playable character. Donkey Kong is both a stage element (75m, both in Brawl and 4) and a playable character.
Actually, DK is not a dual role character, because the 75m DK is not him. He's older, and you probably recognize him better as this fella:
Surprised?

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Project M is going to have five newcomers. They already have Mewtwo and Roy, a bunch of awesome past stages, and a massive selection of alternate costumes (which are true alternate costumes, not palette swaps). Characters like Isaac, Lyn, and Skull Kid also all have good prospects for it.
Is there a petition of support group to get Ridley in PM? Cause I'd join that! :)

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Actually, DK is not a dual role character, because the 75m DK is not him. He's older, and you probably recognize him better as this fella:
Surprised?
I'm aware. I'm also aware that the Ridley in Other M/Pyrosphere is not the true Ridley, but a robotic clone of the original.

As I am also aware that Conductor Link is not the same person as the Toon Link who came from Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is there a petition of support group to get Ridley in PM? Cause I'd join that! :)
He doesn't needs to be officialy in PM (but that would be better)...just a little hint:

Will be a bit bigger, but later.
So, even if we won't get a proper slice of cake that doesn't tastes like s**t, we still can get a chocolate bar...
I'm aware. I'm also aware that the Ridley in Other M/Pyrosphere is not the true Ridley, but a robotic clone of the original.
Um...he is a genetic clone, hollywood type (perfect clone even though that isn't actually possible), not a robotic clone.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Posting here one last time to apologize on the behalf of the staff for some of my remarks on this thread.

It wasn't my intention to cause more disturbance in this thread, though I sometimes get carried away when stating an opinion.

I'm leaving this thread now.

Once again, I'm sorry for the mess.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Project M and/or Bagan's work is the only hope for a playable Ridley within the next two years. Sorry everyone.

Those hoping for Ridley being DLC are reprising themselves for similar mental gymnastics after what we saw after the April Direct. Personally, I was pessimistic on Ridley since August 2013.

Hopefully, Bagan gets to join the Project M team because that might be the only hope he gets in. As it stands, a lot of the team although they know Ridley is a superstar, did not want to pursue him due to the very high difficulty in making him (and also due to the expectation that he was going to be playable in Smash 4).

boobeardabes

Smash Rookie
It simply wasn't meant to be. Ridley fits well as a stage boss and the likelihood of him being a DLC character is slim to none. Nothing more to say.

Azew

Smash Lord
All of you are ruining this thread,
Just stop and rethink you're decisions while you listen to this song. The ENTIRE song, I think you all need a long time to think.

I hope you all calm down and have reasonable discussions (though I doubt it). By ruining the last moments of this thread you all make the Space Pirates look bad.
Don't bother replying, I'm going to be until this all calms down.

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I don't think they should have cut him either, but for a dead franchise like this with only 3 games (F-Zero had more, but is dead just like EB), 1 character is enough. KI's cameback was well received, but that doesn't means it must have representation even close to LoZ's.
All I can say about the KI representation is, maybe Sakurai felt otherwise.
Didn't Sakurai say that he will never make a Kid Icarus 4, and that series was dead?! That was what annoys me the most about the amount of KI content in this game. And while I do main Dark Pit, I'd much prefer he was an alt+voice swap for Pit, with the Electroshock Arm as a custom move and gear to make him slower. As for combining Wolf and Fox and Lucas and Ness, why not just go all the way?! Ness even had to have an extra voice clip of him saying "PK Freeze" (not as epically as Lucas, tho :p) ! Lucas was my "main*" in Brawl, and I do plan to play Earthbound 2 once I finish Earthbound, which I started about a year ago (it's a long game :awesome:).

*Since admittedly, about 2/3 of the roster are my "mains", this doesn't really mean too much, but Lucas was "up there".
Maybe Sakurai won't get involved in KI anymore, but I'm hoping that the series' revival will jumpstart Nintendo into working on the series again. I seriously hope they don't just leave it at that, because Uprising was fantastic and needs to continue in some way. As for Dark Pit, I agree that he should've been an alt for Pit, like they did with the Koopalings. I feel as if giving Wolf's and Lucas' moves to Fox and Ness might be a problem in the future, considering a great deal of us want those characters to return as DLC.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
He doesn't needs to be officialy in PM (but that would be better)...just a little hint:

Will be a bit bigger, but later.
So, even if we won't get a proper slice of cake that doesn't tastes like s**t, we still can get a chocolate bar...

Um...he is a genetic clone, hollywood type (perfect clone even though that isn't actually possible), not a robotic clone.

Those mods are epic! Please if it's you who made them please be part of the PM team! :)

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I see people's points about the dual roles. But I'd have to say it would be weird to have a huge boss ridley and then a small ish character ridley. It's not like toon link who's only a background character.

NatP

Smash Ace
I see people's points about the dual roles. But I'd have to say it would be weird to have a huge boss ridley and then a small ish character ridley. It's not like toon link who's only a background character.
To be fair, we're talking about a game that has both Pit and Dark Pit in the same roster (this is not a dig at Dark Pit btw, I'm just pointing that having two different Ridleys really wouldn't be that weird).

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
It'll be "weird", but only because people haven't yet experienced a playable Ridley. When a playable Ridley is created, people will get used to him eventually. I don't get why people say you can't have two of Ridley in the game, yet we have two of Mario, two of Samus, multiple Links from differing timelines (they wouldn't meet each other really)... Like Bowser, Ridley would have to be scaled accordingly to his role, and if playable he'd be scaled down to an appropriate size. If there was a Metroid spinoff, I'm certain that Ridley would be the second on the playable characters list (behind Samus), he's basically the Bowser and Ganondorf of the Metroid series. Though the question is what type of spinoff would that be...

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It'll be "weird", but only because people haven't yet experienced a playable Ridley. When a playable Ridley is created, people will get used to him eventually. I don't get why people say you can't have two of Ridley in the game, yet we have two of Mario, two of Samus, multiple Links from differing timelines (they wouldn't meet each other really)... Like Bowser, Ridley would have to be scaled accordingly to his role, and if playable he'd be scaled down to an appropriate size. If there was a Metroid spinoff, I'm certain that Ridley would be the second on the playable characters list (behind Samus), he's basically the Bowser and Ganondorf of the Metroid series. Though the question is what type of spinoff would that be...
Pinball!

Also, I'm sorry, but Dynablad-mite? Pat? I'd like to buy a vowel.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Only reason I have any hope for Ridley is because of that 4 character leak, and because of the fact there's (at least) 2 Ridley's (much like how in Smash we have now 3 Links: Conductor Link as a NPC, Young/Toon Link from Melee on, and adult Link from the original). If we see Dixie Kong or Chorus Men and especially both, I think it'll be an interesting scenario. It would be the ultimate delayed gratification, but not one I'm willing to bet on. I think I'll stick to waiting.

I hate waiting, but hey, proper patience always leads to the best of things, especially hope. To quote one of my favorite movies, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

But hey, worst case scenario, at least we got something for when the modding of Smash WiiU starts to use to make a smaller and playable Ridley when the inevitable Project M (esk) mods for Smash WiiU start happening. That's not so bad, especially given that:

1. Smash WiiU hacking:

The WiiU is stronger than the Wii hardware-wise by A LOT. It's like Nintendo is jumping two generations of gaming home consoles, maybe 3. We also wouldn't be limited to 2GB SD cards for those of us who use those for non-system altering Brawl mods.

Given that, modding will likely be easier to do (once we get modding programs up), and on top of that modders now have experience from modding Brawl and now even Melee. Heck, we have had various GAMES OF THEIR OWN be mods (Melee: SD Remix, Balance Brawl, Brawl +, Brawl Minus, Project M, etc). On top of that, I also have a controversial opinion that a Smash WiiU mod will eventually be more popular than the vanilla game (at least competitively), much like Project M did for Brawl (although it could just be [mostly] a re-balanced and vastly expanded upon Smash WiiU).

Given this, eventually there will be character mods, and eventually, that will include Ridley since we have some base movements, mechanics, and attacks for it that can be borrowed and retooled a tad. The only downside to this is it won't include Smash 3DS, but eh, it's just the Ground Zeroes version of the game. Still, likely with Brawl modding, I imagine the Smash WiiU modding will be better than the actual release of the game (although Smash WiiU clearly isn't as terribly designed and flawed as Brawl).

2. Brawl (and Melee?) hacking:

Brawl hackers recently figured out how to make a character 100 characters long (although the tool isn't completely finished, but it's close; they also need to fix SFX issues). You could always just add Ridley into Brawl, or heck, even Ridley. Tools exist for that

However, the down side is a GOOD Ridley build hasn't been made yet, but that doesn't mean it won't. Brawl hacking is gonna stay around for a long while. Give it time, though, and a good Ridley build will eventually be completed and playable. It might be a few years, but it will be worth the wait (even if Ridley is playable in Smash 4).

If the Project M Development Team (PMDT, formerly the PMBR) can create and add Roy and Mewtwo and make them literally a better quality than all of the Brawl characters in vanilla Brawl, and if someone can make a fairly competent but unfinished Waluigi playable character hack, there's NO WAY we won't get a great Ridley hack.

3. There's always Smash 6 (since Smash WiiU is technically Smash 5):

There's no reason say Ridley wouldn't be added in Smash 6 at this point, with most C-grade Nintendo stars either set as permanent NPC's or on the roster (Meta Knight, Robin, Shulk, Pit, Meta Knight; on the NPC side, Tom Nook, Waluigi, and various Pokémon mostly), all the A-grade stars playable (you can name them; we finally got Villager and Miis, IMO the last 2 true ones left, unless you wanna include the Wii Fit Trainer and maybe Nintendogs [the latter of whom will basically be permanent NPC's]), and pretty much all the B grade stars (Dedede, Marth, Bowser Jr., Olimar, Little Mac).

Heck, the only other potential B-grade stars I can think of left are like K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong (given that he's literally the original Donkey Kong), Toad (possibly permanent part of Peach's moveset), various Pokémon (not even worth listing), and maybe Isaac.

That's not a lot of new characters, even with Nintendo's few new potentially quality IP's like Captain Toad, Splatoon, etc. rising, Dillon maybe getting a shot in the future, and the almost inevitable new Fire Emblem and Pokémon characters we'll get in the future (especially the latter).

===

So yeah, there's no real reason to be upset. You just got to wait, even if waiting sucks. :\ But hey, as my father always tells me, "the most patient servant gets the best payoff."

Anyways, until that payoff or the next thread of this stage, I'm off.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Man this thread has gone downhill since it was reopened. Such a shame, this thread was a fun place to be around and being active in Ridley speculation. Don't even bother with trolls or haters. Just don't drop down to their level, we're a lot better than that.

To those who come here just rub it in our faces or be saying "I told you so", just stop it. You aren't getting anywhere with your trolling and you're just adding more gas to the fire which isn't needed. Just keep things civil and level-headed.

As for the stage bossley, I'm still not sure what to think about it. He's just a punching bag that goes down after four or five hits (not sure about that, someone can clarify). I'm sure we'll be seeing Sakurai's reasoning behind it within the next week in his Famitsu column. My guess could be that it had to do with limitations on the 3DS like the Ice Climbers or maybe Sakurai thought Ridley being a stage boss would bring hype (which doesn't do that whatsoever).
I'm surprised this thread isn't locked yet.
Yeah no kidding. It was locked right after the 3DS roster was fully revealed. There's still the 2000 page thing too, since there is close to 50 pages left. This thread's closing is inevitable anyway no matter what happens here.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not entirely sure why this thread is still open. I get that some see there's a small chance some alt version of Ridley could be DLC. But I'm not banking on it.

But hopefully he'll be added in the next game. I'd still support his inclusion. Or maybe Project M, that would be cool. Still, I'm glad I got Smash 4 regardless. Not gonna let one missing character bum me out too much. Especially when I still have two of my favorite newcomers in this one.

Until then, I hope to fight some of you dudes in Smash 4.

Emeril127

Smash Cadet
Hmm am i one of the only people who noticed the ridley icon is not the other M ridley but the brawl/super metroid ridley?
image.jpg

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think it's better to lock this thread now, because members are now getting banned just because of easily lurable Ridley arguing, it's really sad and I don't want that to continue. :(

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Look,

Ridley has a bigger chance than most. They have the assets aleady. He has a
  1. Get Up animation
  2. Smash Attack charge animations
  3. Rolling animations
  4. Death animations
  5. Tons of moveset ideas already
  6. A Model frame
  7. Part of a stage grab animation.
If NoA is more involved in DLC, and Sakurai less so, Ridley has a very good chance at DLC

NOT just wishful thinking. Look at the reasons.
  1. So many assets to use already, arguably one of the easiest NPCs to make playable at this point
  2. Easy money maker. Guaranteed $ for Nintendo
  3. Good Press for finally listening to fans.
  4. Even if there is a rule of "Character that already has a role cannot be playable" is true, Ridley can easily work around it through Super Metroid design.
Everything above is true no denying it. There is no arguing the above as it is true. The question is whether it will happen. For me? I deem it likely IF we give the outcry to Nintendo.

BUT what I'm done with seeing is this thread be filled with arguments. Stop arguing whether someone was "delusional" or not for thinking he would be playable. All the info I had in the second post WAS true. He acted like a playable character so we assumed he WOULD be playable. It just turns out, he acts completely playable, but isn't. And that sucks.

So stop arguing here. Use this as a base of operations for getting Ridley as DLC. Someone comes here hating? Screw them. Not only report them, but IGNORE them as well. They won't do you any good. Don't even reply to them. Focus in this thread and do it well.

I've been contributing here since April, and you guys were a great community. And I know you guys can do great things to get him as DLC.

So do it.

Show me you guys can do it. This will be my last post in here for awhile. I'm telling you guys what you need to hear.

Focus on DLC

Screw the haters

Get that damn Space Pirate playable

drops mic

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I just want to say one last thought, isn't there still some sort of hope for Ridley dlc?

After all dlc characters can happen at anytime, I'm not convinced just because there is a boss version of Ridley there couldn't be a playable version of him, plus I read something about some sort of rumor about his reveal trailer and we still have time until the release of the Wii U version if for some reason we would get a surprise reveal trailer before then.

What interested me the most about the rumored Ridley trailer was Dr Mario was rumored to appear in that trailer and Dr Mario wasn't officially revealed yet as of to my knowledge, so this kind of keeps said rumor alive.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Ehhh.

Let's go Project R!

Hey guys DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had ginormous characters, and they weren't unbalanced. We can do the same with Ridley, right?

Edit: yes, I do believe that we can, for realsies.
DLC is also hopeful.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Look,

1. Get Up animation
  3. Rolling animations
  4. Death animations
  6. A Model frame
If NoA is more involved in DLC, and Sakurai less so, Ridley has a very good chance at DLC

1. So many assets to use already, arguably one of the easiest NPCs to make playable at this point
  4. Even if there is a rule of "Character that already has a role cannot be playable" is true, Ridley can easily work around it through Super Metroid design.
Everything above is true no denying it. There is no arguing the above as it is true. The question is whether it will happen. For me? I deem it likely IF we give the outcry to Nintendo.

BUT what I'm done with seeing is this thread be filled with arguments. Stop arguing whether someone was "delusional" or not for thinking he would be playable. All the info I had in the second post WAS true. He acted like a playable character so we assumed he WOULD be playable. It just turns out, he acts completely playable, but isn't. And that sucks.

So stop arguing here. Use this as a base of operations for getting Ridley as DLC. Someone comes here hating? Screw them. Not only report them, but IGNORE them as well. They won't do you any good. Don't even reply to them. Focus in this thread and do it well.

I've been contributing here since April, and you guys were a great community. And I know you guys can do great things to get him as DLC.

So do it.

Show me you guys can do it. This will be my last post in here for awhile. I'm telling you guys what you need to hear.

Focus on DLC

Screw the haters

drops mic
Thank you for your encouraging words. I admit that I'm still trying to learn not to feed trolls. It's much easier said than done (especially considering there are so many of them who love coming here to gloat), but it is possible. Space Pirates should carry themselves with more dignity. Maybe then our reputation can be salvaged.

Zynux

Smash Lord
"This thread is such full of negativity!"

While I personally thought the decision to reopen this thread to be silly, I'm probably the only one who really doesn't have a problem with it. Until this thread get's locked and shut down, this is many's last chance to let it all out of their system. So, as long as there are no insults, name-calling, and such I say let the salt flow. The arguments didn't even get that bad except for a few obviously baiting but they've been dealt with.

Sakurai already knew that, remember the Meta Ridley boss in SSE? But I guess it "slipped" your mind.

And the reason why it was incorporated like that in Pyrosphere was simply because they could and they wanted to do it, simple as that. That Ridley is not even the same entity as the one that appeared in the previous Smash, so they probably thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Ridley could transform into Meta Ridley instead?" There is nothing wrong with that.
But he doesn't even transform into Meta Ridley. Hell, he doesn't transform at all. Just powers up and glows and such.

Nothing about that is Meta-Ridley (or anything RIdley has ever done), yet he calls him Meta-Ridley for some reason.

Why is everyone acting like this now and not happy that he is AT LEAST in the game?
I'm mostly just trying to tell people to at least be happy he's there.
...Huh? Why would we be complacent that he's, at least, "in the game?" Just "being in the game" is not special nor what we even asked for.

I'm barely salty about his exclusion anymore (saw it coming since April) but good Lord this mindset is almost scary.

I understand that sooner or later that people will need to move on but just bending over and accepting it, while forcing a smile on their face is nothing consumers should ever, ever do.

People are going to enjoy Smash 4 for the most part, both 3DS and Wii U. But no one needs to be happy with every single decision the developers make for these games. Not even the decision behind Ridley's.
That is completely correct. The context implied that he would be a Boss.

The reason people continued to support him was because of exactly that. He implied Ridley would be a boss.
Why would he imply for a whole damn year?

This was the big (no punintendo) argument for Ridley's inclusion as playable.

Sakurai had to have been insane to tease Ridley for a whole year, leaving us without a definitive answer, and have it end up being a normal boss. That's a terrible business strategy.

You know what's not insane, and is a great business strategy? Teasing him as a boss for a year, then revealing him to be playable. Before the direct, everyone was expecting Ridley. So if Sakurai announced him, everyone would be hyped, but it would die down relatively quickly, like Mega Man, because everyone was expecting him. So why not leave the fans in the dark, on their feet, and then give them what they wanted? The impact from that would be HUGE! Huge enough to guarantee the Wii U version quite a few more sales.

But it turns out, Sakurai WAS insane. He built up Ridley's Boss Reveal for a damn year.
So using strategic and business logic, we should have been right. Ridley should have been playable, due to Sakurai teasing him as a boss.
But we we're wrong, because instead of Sakurai trolling like usual, he Double-Trolled. By that I mean, he knew we all thought he was trolling with the Ridley thing, and that he would be playable, so he trolled us by having what we thought was him trolling be false.
It's "Trollception," if you will.

So all in all, the detractors shouldn't go around bragging about how smart they were, and they they knew we were being delusional. In any other case, we would have been right. If this was any other developer on the planet, we would have been right, and this would have built up to a Ridley Reveal. But it wasn't. This was Sakurai. And nobody knows whether he is going to troll, or if he is going to troll the people who think he's trolling.

That said, I'm fine with Ridley being a boss this time around.

In Melee, Sakurai thought Ridley was OK, and would make for a cool cameo in the into, and as a trophy

In Brawl, Sakurai saw Ridley had some dedicated fans, so he made him a boss. Unfortunately, he was just a Dyna Blade copy-paste job. Sakurai thought the simply presence of him as a boss would be enough for the fans.

Now, in Smash 4, Sakurai noticed that Ridley had A LOT of fans. Fans that didn't want him as a boss, and wanted him playable, and thought that a boss role didn't do him justice. Sakurai was in a pickle. He personally believed Ridley was best as a boss, and didn't know how to make him playable (as said in the Nintendo Power interview). But the fans wanted him to be rightfully represented, and be playable. So what did Sakurai do? He made a compromise. He made Ridley a boss, but the closes thing a boss could be to a playable character. He made a really complex boss, that obviously had a lot of effort put into it. He made it so Ridley actually used moves from Metroid, and would even fight alongside the fighters, like a playable character would. He even through in meta Ridley, just for kicks. Sakurai thought this would please all the fans. After all, Ridley was one step away from playable.

But Sakurai was wrong. While Smash Wii U's boss Ridley is very impressive, and perfectly represents Ridley as a boss, it is just not enough. I appreciate all the effort that went into him, and he looks really fun to play with and fight. But have to make Sakurai realize that we won't quit until Ridley is playable.

We have to continue support. And by Smash 5, Sakurai will realize that, even one step below playable, we won't be fully satisfied until Ridley is a true, playable character on the roster.
^This guy gets it.

There was nothing logical about how Ridley was handled this speculation. That's the problem many fans have.

My Response To Ridley Being A Boss? :drfacepalm:
#NeverGiveUP :4miibrawl:
Wow, that actually got me sentimental.

Don't mind me, just wiping the dust from my eyes.

I think it's better to lock this thread now, because members are now getting banned just because of easily lurable Ridley arguing, it's really sad and I don't want that to continue. :(
They wouldn't have been banned if they had conducted themselves better.

Don't see how it's anyone else's fault but their own.

Look,

1. Get Up animation
  3. Rolling animations
  4. Death animations
  6. A Model frame

So do it.

Focus on DLC

Screw the haters

drops mic
^This guy gets it as well. Instead of dwelling in the past with what could have been, find a way to move forward. Whether it's accepting his fate, mods by the community, or a DLC campaign of making your voice heard.

Whatever you decide to do, do it.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
...Huh? Why would we be complacent that he's, at least, "in the game?" Just "being in the game" is not special nor what we even asked for.

I'm barely salty about his exclusion anymore (saw it coming since April) but good Lord this mindset is almost scary.

I understand that sooner or later that people will need to move on but just bending over and accepting it, while forcing a smile on their face is nothing consumers should ever, ever do.

People are going to enjoy Smash 4 for the most part, both 3DS and Wii U. But no one needs to be happy with every single decision the developers make for these games. Not even the decision behind Ridley's.
This... this right here. This is probably the thing about the Ridley debacle that got me upset more than Ridley's role itself. Super Smash Bros is not a "gift" we should be grateful for no matter what.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I want to believe!

Then believe that, believe in Ridley.

Keep in mind there are various incarnations of Ridley, to me this merely deconfirms Other M Ridley and Meta Ridley, the Ridley I'm interested in seeing what happened to is that Ridley we seen since the cameo on the planet Zebes stage then appeared in Melee as a trophy, then the last we saw him was Brawl, this is the Ridley I feel we should be looking for, it doesn't make sense for Ridley not to be in the 3ds version at all, nor does it make sense not to use his most iconic design seen in Brawl, Melee and SSB64, which could very well the design chosen to be playable.

3ds has to get something involving Ridley, even if its perhaps a dlc stage with him a stage boss, that would be good enough to me, bring back Frigate Orpheon and use him on that stage or use the Research Facility stage from Subspace Emissary, where he was a boss in Brawl, I want that Brawl Vs Ridley theme back too.

My question is where is this Ridley?

Ridley first cameoed in Planet Zebes Stage in N64

Then cameoed in Melee as a trophy and in the opening sequence

Then Ridley evolved even further into a boss character appearing in the Research Facility level, and as you can see this is the same Ridley that has been in the Super Smash Bros series since the very beginning, you'd think they'd include this Ridley in some way.

I believe this is not the same Ridley as what we are seeing in the Pyroshere, and this Ridley has been around since the first Smash game making cameos, but this Ridley has yet to appear yet, so my question is where is this version of Ridley?

I'm glad he's in the game, but still I want him in the 3ds version, until then, I'm not Stratusfied.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
People.
I love hope and everything, and think Ridley deserves to be playable, but thinking he has any chance at all for DLC at this point is too much.

Sakurai wouldn't put a lot of effort into Ridley as a boss, and even made him as close to playable as a boss can be.

I know he's a troll, but he won't make a huge complex boss, and then reveal him to also be playable.

I encourage you to have hope, and believe in Ridley for Smash 5, or heck, maybe even start a DLC movement to make Sakurai make him playable, but please stay inside the boundaries of reality.
Don't make us seem anymore delusional than we have for the past summer.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
Sheesh, did people forget this is a thread about Ridley and not Ridley fans? If you just came to post "I told you so!" or "Ridley fans are delusional!", you came to the wrong thread. Leave your salt and bitterness at the door and let's discuss space dragons!

Personally, I don't think any of the dual role Characters are comparable to Ridley being both a stage hazard and a playable DLC character. Conductor Link and DK were simply background elements that played no role in how the stage functioned. Also, while Roidly is in fact a separate entity to the original Ridley, they share an identity similar to the Links throughout LoZ. Would it be possible to have Super Metroid Ridley (YES PLEASE!) as a playable character in addition to Hazardly? Yes, but I think it highly unlikely.

All that said, Pyrosphere has enough going on that it would function just fine without Hazardly whenever real Ridley shows up. Or better yet, can you imagine how glorious it would be to KEEP Hazardly on the stage and then defeat him with Super Metroid Ridley?

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I've always wondered why Roidly looks so much different from regular Ridley, but Ridley X looks like normal Ridley, even though it's the X parasite infested corpse of Roidly.(I know the real reason is because Other M was trying to be hip and cool and different, but in-story, it's really odd.)

Anyway, since people are all hung up on size, do you think a smaller, playable Ridley would look weird next to giant Hazardly? I'd almost find it cathartic to beat the snot out of Roidly with normal Ridley.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
It sucks that Ridley will still be the Azazel of Smash Bros. (points for those who get the reference)

But still why go through a whole year of what could have easily been settled with a POTD. Not only that, but using the Super Metroid Ridley as a stock icon to add false hope.

Thanks to a special someone I can't be as mad as I should be about this though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Anyway, since people are all hung up on size, do you think a smaller, playable Ridley would look weird next to giant Hazardly? I'd almost find it cathartic to beat the snot out of Roidly with normal Ridley.
This is one of the reasons I think Ridley had almost no shot at DLC.
A shrunk-down Ridley wouldn't be bad next to Samus, if done right. But a shrunk-down Ridley would look really, really weird next to Boss Roidley, and it would look like Ridley is really too small.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the reasons I think Ridley had almost no shot at DLC.
A shrunk-down Ridley wouldn't be bad next to Samus, if done right. But a shrunk-down Ridley would look really, really weird next to Boss Roidley, and it would look like Ridley is really too small.
I get where you're coming from, but I personally don't have any issue with that. It was never jarring for me when I played as Bowser and fought a bigger Bowser at the end of Melee Adventure mode, so I don't care if we get the whole two-Ridley scenario. Especially since it's pretty common knowledge that his size does vary throughout his incarnations.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
*huffs*. the devil emerges with his words on this

Language warning so spoiler for this

Trust me i would skip the ridley part

But just like in the other video the part of not giving up

Smaller and super metroid ridley for dlc

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I think that, looking back, both sides had good points, but I think that supporters had an edge in seeing how Ridley behaved in the Direct. I didn't think it meant much back then but now I can see why they thought that way. Ridley does act like a playable character here.

That said...it's kinda weird that fighting him gets him on your side. I'm happy about nearly everything else, but that part's just...kinda weird. I really don't know how they could've done it better, but it's still strange to me. I wish that when you KO'd him, he'd fall, then fly into a hole just like in Other M. Oh well.

That said...I don't really see Ridley for DLC. Even though Pyrosphere Ridley and Ridley are different characters...I feel like if they were planning to put Ridley in as a character, they wouldn't have him as a boss. Idk. I'm just spewing things out of my head onto my keyboard and onto this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom