• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Dear Ridley Thread,

I know we've had our turmoil over the past year but know that I am legitimately rooting for you all in the hours to come. We're nearing the reveal of the full roster and even though I don't believe he will be in, you guys have actually made me WANT him to be in.

Love, Roger

I need to watch Cats Don't Dance again.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I might as well say this before all hell breaks loose in the next day or so. It's been great fun to be a part of this great thread. I started lurking here around page 950 or so and made my first post in the Ridley thread in page 1350. I've only been here for over a month, but it feels like I've been here for months. You guys have been nothing short of fantastic. With all the funny and awesome Ridley/Roidley fanart, gifs, and whatever, I've had a blast here in the biggest (no pun intended) thread of all here at Smashboards. Let us hope to Ridley fully confirmed in full glory. Let us all hope for the best. Thank you fellow Space Pirates. Hope to see you guys in the Ridley subforum.

Last edited:

VegaPunk

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
FASTEN YOUR MOTHER****ING HYPEBELTS PEOPLE, THE HYPE IS ENTERING FANTASYSTAGE LVLS

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Guys, calm down. You've all been patient for a year and a half now. I'm sure a few more hours won't do you any harm.

If Ridley is in, does anyone think the glide mechanic might become unique to him? Charizard and Pit can no longer glide, but I don't really want that mechanic gone just yet...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just gonna say once more.

Ridley will be in, and I will be right. I was right about the infamous Lucina as well and I dare say with spot on reasoning. Fear not!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
We need to stay calm folks.

I can understand why would all of us be so anxious, but we must be patient and stop spamming...

aanxley.png

That said, though, I'm also a little bit nervous about this...

R0Y

Smash Master
If he's in we'll know within a matter of hours, begore launch at any rateif it's anything like previous Smashes for unlocks. Even Mewtwo was just 5 hours if you plugged in 4 controllers.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ohh man. We're so close to seeing the end of this. This is ridiculous. Well, I have class all day tomorrow nonstop, so I won't be able to check in on this until like. 18 hours from now. Hopefully the leak has gone off by then, and hopefully it turns out well. I'm convident it will, but I can't be stalwart and certain while vibrating from excitement.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I thought it didn't come out until the 12th how to people have it. Ridley or at least one of the big3 are close

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
This is one of the more narcissistic and bizarre places online I've ever been to--full of people obsessed about an obscure character in a video game, but I must admit this thread has been like a car accident I can't resist looking at as I drive past. At least if Ridley isn't in, we have more amazing Samus alts now. Hopefully she's actually good again.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay guys. This is likely it. Buy you know that. Just remember one thing. Anything can happen. So brace yourselves for the good the bad and the hype.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
EMERGENCY IN SECTOR 3!!! \0o0/
EMERGENCY IN SECTOR 3!!! \0o0/
HYPE TRAIN HAS SPIRALLED OUT OF CONTROL!!! \0o0/
PLEASE REMAIN CALM AND HOLD ONTO ANYTHING THAT IS PURPLE!! \0o0/
STORES ARE TO STOP SELLING COPIES UNTIL THE ACTUAL RELEASE DATE!!! WE DON'T WANT ANYMORE LEAKS!!! \0o0/

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
If he's in we'll know within a matter of hours, begore launch at any rateif it's anything like previous Smashes for unlocks. Even Mewtwo was just 5 hours if you plugged in 4 controllers.
Well the first people to get the game won't know exactly how I unlock everyone

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
@ IsmaR IsmaR I would like to kindly ask that when it comes to that time this thread closes, that it would just be perma-locked. This thread has too much valuable information for it to be wasted on the thread being deleted, and I'd like to leave this as an ancient memento in case Ridley's disconfirmed, and he doesn't get his own social thread where all this is archived. I could try archiving the important stuff myself by pasting my favorite posts on Google Drive, but I'm caught up with school stuff, and I'm not confident that I can archive them all in time. Stuff like @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 's essay on the snowball effect and "teasing with selected targeting" or @Skyblade12 's ingenious talk about Nintendo's marketing consequences... I don't wanna see such valuable stuff disappear.

Also, another reminder to do all the good deeds you can to keep your karma up high, and piercing the heavens! Be sure not to be too confident, or it might be jynxed.....

I'm sorry, I'm very superstitious with karma and jynxing. :s

Well, I think it's now my turn to answer my own questions...

• Has the speculation been worth it?
It would have to. Sakurai's favorite tool of advertising is controversy, and he hardly ever uses it without payoff in the end. I would feel betrayed knowing he used us just because we're the largest Smash fanbase ever, and our speculation would triple the game's popularity.

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?
Judging from how dead-set I've become with how you and Ridley have been poorly treated, then yes.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?
Ridley's the most requested character in the west, and has the larget support fanbase ever. Like I said before: either the detractors are missing something, or the west truely is that dumb.
Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
Ohhh, you bet! Unlike Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, and Metal Face, Ridley is requested up the wazoo! If Nintendo thought Ridley needed no clarification when there is clear confusion and controversy, then they really got their priorities mixed up.

• Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
After the hell we've been through, I think Nintendo needs to know they screwed up.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?
This is perhaps the one thing that keeps me from doubting Ridley's chances 100%. We're talking about a small, slow-moving piñata with wings that's pretty much a downgrade from his SSE self! From how slow he moved in the direct, I'm always reminded of what Sakurai said long ago. "If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have pulled it off, but he would be alittle bit slow." If Ridley's a Wii U exclusive boss, then people have the right to be upset because he'll either be too fast and annoying for players to ever go to that stage, or he will be slow, and not represent his canonical boss features.

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?
Sakurai never said DLC will never be a thing, so this might be our plan B. If not, we move to plan C: Project M.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?
After Pac-Man's reveal, he had proven to me that he can, and will, do everything to make a character work and make everyone happy. Excluding Ridley this time around will take that thought away from me unless he comes out with a "Sorry, we tried."

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?
I've only been a supporter for more than a month; with my weak will, I'd think to myself "Well, I'm clearly Anne Frank in this whole deal. :/"

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?
After studying you guys and forming my own opinion, I not only see Ridley as a worthy All-Star and Samus' Bowser, but also a symbol of freedom and justice. People have become too afraid to say who they want because the rest have gotten so aggressive. Ridley should show that you should never feel ashamed of who you want. I get the strong impression that Ridley fans have been treated like Jews in WWII, and that Ridley's inclusion shall finally set them free.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?
Well, after opening my mind to it, I noticed Ridley is quite the badass! He's vicious, cunning, and again, a worthy All-Star with the likes of Bowser. Ridley's intelligence and tactically can be easily reflected on the player's esperience with the character, giving the true Samus vs Ridley everyone's dying for!

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?
I...I don't know. Judging from my mentality so far, I'd say I'm probably alittle bit biased.

• What do you think of the fans?
I think @--- said it best; they're passionate people, but probably too passionate for their own good. Their fun to hang with, but take a wrong step, and they'll jump down your throat. This is what gave the Ridley fanbase its bad name, and is exactly why I want no one getting too confident, or else it will be jynxed!

• Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
This one... This goes back to when I said I want Ridley to mean you should never have to be ashamed of who you want. It doesn't matter how stupid the character might be in terms of chances, its your responsibility to respect that person's opinion! Whether that person wants Shadow, Geno, Bomberman, or hell, even Goku! We must treat them as if they are all equal.

except Shrek requests.

and lastly...

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
So much yes. The freedom, justice, everything! Ridley would be the best inclusion since Mario vs Sonic vs Mega Man vs Pac-Man! Sakurai said he aims for this to be the best Smash game of all time. So far, he has gotten the top most wanted characters from both the west and east in this game...all except three. Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley; the Ultimate Three. I hate how cheesy this is, but...

IN SAKURAI, WE TRUST WITH THE VERY BOTTOM OF OUR HEART AND SOUL! MAY HE LIBERATE US FROM THIS 15 YEAR-LONG TORMENT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
InB4 Sakurai specifically took him out as backlash for America leaking the game ...

Oh how lovely that would be ...
Alax! Love your vids man. I was actually worrying about the same thing. As stupid and childish as it would be to do such a thing, that'd still been in the back of my mind if he were to not make it. Btw you forgot to mention that you were wrong about ice climbers in your new vid :p. Or at least it seems they're out. Anyways your ridley vid was the catalyst that got me hooked on the ridley debate, and was eventually what brought me here, so I'd just like to say thankyou my friend and keep up the good stuff.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So now I've got these questions for you, and want you to answer them with all your seriousness; no jokes, no nothing. I want everyone to answer these.
• Has the speculation really been worth it?
Speculation is never fun, since it just leaves room for possible disappointment if you get carried away. And it's too easy to get carried away in most cases. I've had so many times when I end up getting less than what I'd built up for myself. But it's also next to impossible not to do so for something you care about.
• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?
Most definitely. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo characters, and recurring villains are a major part of Nintendo history.
• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?
He'll probably have a large early fanbase of pro-Ridley fans, which will eventually start to level off depending on how he plays. But honesty, I don't really know why people would hate him for being confirmed. The only characters I actively dislike are clones from overrepresented franchises, and Metroid is quite underrepresented, as well as Ridley potentially having a unique moveset. Even for characters I don't find personally appealing like ROB, I won't go out of my way to piss off the fanbase.
• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
Well, there's the million dollar question. Sakurai likes to play around and tease, so the fact that nothing's been said is intriguing. But to drag the agony for a year? That's a bit much.

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?
Personally, not really. I don't know what power Nintendo execs have over Sakurai for this franchise, and there's enough I like about the game to still but it anyway.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?
Absolutely. It's a downgrade from being a major boss in Brawl's adventure mode to being a mere stage hazard for only a single version of the game. Ridley is still as relevant as ever.

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?
DLC should exist regardless, but Ridley should be a prime candidate if he's not in the base game.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?
Like I said, he's made some really good choices. I don't like the obvious biases toward his babies, but there are loads of good decisions. I don't understand all the 'get Sakurai off SSB!' posts, honestly. He built this game from the ground up.

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?
I originally didn't care either way, but I slowly got more into the idea of a playable Ridley. I try to stay objective during the whole thing so I don't blindly follow, but Ridley has as much reason to be playable as Ganondorf. And if Olimar and Kirby can be sized up to fit in the Smash world, there's also no reason that Ridley can't be sized down.

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?
Another character who isn't kawaii. Another character who isn't a protagonist, or even anti-heroic. Another character who you can really love to hate.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?
Smash is a great game to play heroes vs. villains, or even villains vs. heroes. You really don't get to play the bad guys in anything but fighting games, so it adds that element. Also, Ridley, as a pterosaurian, would provide an anti-Little Mac type fighter who excels at aerial combat but is useless on the ground.

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?
I hope so. Most of the characters I'd like to see added are all villainous in some form or another simply to have that dynamic.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?
Every fanbase has its majority of solid fans, and then the small-but-rather-more-vocal group of nutjobs. And so do the detractors.

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
Tough question. Short answer, yes, we should respect others' opinions. But long answer, not really. I think that most character requests should come with support arguments. There are too many pathetically weak arguments (I'd like the girl in the background of that one minigame from this obscure Nintendo game from 1988 because her sprite is hot) or troll requests (LyK OMG gUyZZZ SHRKE sHuD B PlAyAbL in SSB5!!!1!!11!) that should not get the same amount of thought as something that has pages of support arguments and logical evidence of the character's relevance to Nintendo. Smash is about a meeting of Nintendo's all-stars. If someone can't viably be considered a Nintendo all-star, it's hard to make a good argument. I give the guest characters a pass, though, since they are gaming history in general.

and lastly...

Does Smash truly deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
Of course. Ridley has been a background character in all three previous Smash games. The only other two characters who have made nonplayable appearances in all other smash games (Charizard, Dedede) are playable by Brawl, and are still in now. Metroid is going strong as a series - it may not be Mario, Pokémon, or Zelda, but it does still deserve a non-Samus character. Who better than her most famous enemy?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ IsmaR IsmaR I would like to kindly ask that when it comes to that time this thread closes, that it would just be perma-locked. This thread has too much valuable information for it to be wasted on the thread being deleted, and I'd like to leave this as an ancient memento in case Ridley's disconfirmed, and he doesn't get his own social thread where all this is archived. I could try archiving the important stuff myself by pasting my favorite posts on Google Drive, but I'm caught up with school stuff, and I'm not confident that I can archive them all in time. Stuff like @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 's essay on the snowball effect and "teasing with selected targeting" or @Skyblade12 's ingenious talk about Nintendo's marketing consequences... I don't wanna see such valuable stuff disappear.

Also, another reminder to do all the good deeds you can to keep your karma up high, and piercing the heavens! Be sure not to be too confident, or it might be jynxed.....

Save most useful pages in html files. If he's deconfirmed, the thread will be archived which means NOT VIEWABLE but the staff..

I don't know if they will lock it due to special circumstances and the thread getting literally too big. Just CTRL + S on the first page, and you have a snapshot readable of my essay. You can read, but of course, not write.

I actually just did that for my Paper Mario thread as I worked so much on the OP. Plus, nostalgia purposes.

JonesGamer

Smash Cadet

Beautiful. Just... beautiful.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
This is one of the more narcissistic and bizarre places online I've ever been to--full of people obsessed about an obscure character in a video game, but I must admit this thread has been like a car accident I can't resist looking at as I drive past. At least if Ridley isn't in, we have more amazing Samus alts now. Hopefully she's actually good again.
He's not THAT obscure. Even if you haven't played a Metroid game there's still the fact that Ridley is a boss twice over in Brawl.

R0Y

Smash Master
Wolf's trophy has been discovered. All that remains of him. bigbosssalute.gif

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Not sure if posted yet, but i.imgur.com/rTwpDZX.jpg.

Not sure if it's legit, but it's something.
Yes we've seen it and yes it is fake. It's just an edited pic of the day.

Wolf's trophy has been discovered. All that remains of him. bigbosssalute.gif
Source?

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Guys, it's only a matter of time, it's starting. Pics are already being leaked. With that already being said...
GIVE ME RIDLEY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Top Bottom