• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
We have to be careful with what we post from now on, or else they may close this permanently. I hope we get more information next week so we can debate more about Ridley, because as of now we know exactly the same we knew a week ago.

Although that GameXplain comment is strongly positive towards Ridley's chances.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
We have to be careful with what we post from now on, or else they may close this permanently. I hope we get more information next week so we can debate more about Ridley, because as of now we know exactly the same we knew a week ago.

Although that GameXplain comment is strongly positive towards Ridley's chances.
How the hell is it positive? He said he couldn't tell either way lol

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I made a new Signature on my current thoughts about Ridley’s status.

New Japanese commercials for the 3DS are out on youtube, claming the Roster is “Over 40 Characters” I’d feel a little safer for Ridley if it was saying “Over 50”

The Whole metal Face thing.. if Sakurai said right away like he did with Chrom. Woah woah woah, hes not playable hes a boss on this stage, my odds for Ridley being in game would skyrocket.. but he has yet to.

I think my fear is getting closer to realization.. How cool does this sound “Ridley is a Wii-U EXCLUSIVE…………….Boss!!!!” And Sakurai thinks we will be smiling and clapping away.

Wait... ****... no no no nonono! Why does it say over 40?! That's pretty much 100% meaning there is LESS THAN 50 characters.

There were 48 characters shown on the leak picture... does that mean there's only ONE MORE, for a total of 49 only?! Oh please don't let that be true, but I don't see a way around it now... Perhaps the trophy theory and the Fi trophy (and skyward theme music) wasn't pointing to Impa after all, which I had previously changed my opinion to after seeing Ghirahim wasn't playable, but I think now it was pointing to Ghirahim after all (no spoilers but Ghirahim makes much more sense than Impa for the Fi trophy hint) even though he's just an AT and not a playable. And the metroid trophy with Ridley music only pointed at Ridley being a boss not a playable. NOO!!! Someone please save me, is there anything?! This time I'm at a dead end and I really can't think of anything...

Who's the last character left? Mewtwo? Dixie (even if a clone? though tbh I don't think she really needs to be included)?

I refuse to believe this because Sakurai has been teasing Ridley for a very long time and never disconfirmed him and he surely knows lots of people want Ridley. He even spent PotDs spending time to explain that size in smash isn't true to lore and that anything can work in smash. And then there's the Meta... Knight PotD. He also dislikes fake hype, so... what's the answer? I can't think of one right now :(

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
But apparently you can say things with 100% clarity?

Guys, I'm 100% sure there was no playable Ridley at that press conference. It's time to let it go honestly.
Though for the record what comment are you talking about that would make you think that @Capt. Butt Stallion?

(edit:read the above comment but they pretty much said that from the get go just before entering the press event they weren't allowed to say anything, even saying Ridley wasn't shown would likely be a possible disconformation)

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Repeatedly quoting users with one word answers (Yes/No mostly) or very brief, nonsensical answers are usually what that covers.

Posting "Ridley" by itself to relate to this thread is another such example. A paragraph of off-topic text doesn't have substance pertaining to the topic, hence why I'll often point out adding something like "also/back to Ridley" doesn't suddenly make the post okay.

As for the unworthy bit, if it gets reported or could lead to derailment (or lowering the quality of posting), or has pretty obvious reasoning as to why it shouldn't be on this thread/site, then it should pretty much explain itself why it's labeled as such.

I don't actually believe/use the term terrible, I'm just going off of what/how I learned it.
I was more referring to typical posts rather than extreme examples. I assume all that's allowed is:

1. Expressing excitement about Ridley (pretty vague)
2. Requesting a place on the Ridley supporter list
3. Hypothetical game design choices as they would relate to a playable Ridley (?)

Of course, being an open 'detractor' is forbidden because it will inevitably fan the flames.

Yes, I am aware that this post does not satisfy any of the above, mark it as spam if you wish.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Wait... ****... no no no nonono! Why does it say over 40?! That's pretty much 100% meaning there is LESS THAN 50 characters.

There were 48 characters shown on the leak picture... does that mean there's only ONE MORE, for a total of 49 only?! Oh please don't let that be true, but I don't see a way around it now... Perhaps the trophy theory and the Fi trophy (and skyward theme music) wasn't pointing to Impa after all, which I had previously changed my opinion to after seeing Ghirahim wasn't playable, but I think now it was pointing to Ghirahim after all (no spoilers but Ghirahim makes much more sense than Impa for the Fi trophy hint) even though he's just an AT and not a playable. And the metroid trophy with Ridley music only pointed at Ridley being a boss not a playable. NOO!!! Someone please save me, is there anything?! This time I'm at a dead end and I really can't think of anything...

Who's the last character left? Mewtwo? Dixie (even if a clone? though tbh I don't think she really needs to be included)?

I refuse to believe this because Sakurai has been teasing Ridley for a very long time and never disconfirmed him and he surely knows lots of people want Ridley. He even spent PotDs spending time to explain that size in smash isn't true to lore and that anything can work in smash. And then there's the Meta... Knight PotD. He also dislikes fake hype, so... what's the answer? I can't think of one right now :(
i have seen a leaked picture of impa and wolf, thats 50, also they probably didn't want to give away there being 50 characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlfrWirvVtQ

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527

I think the amount of characters on the roster is the least of our worries at this present moment in time. I'd take everything with a grain of salt and just wait for actual clarification.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

There were 48 characters in the leak, they would've said "Over 45 characters!" in that case. The "Over 40 characters" comment was actually remarking on how many characters were announced to date.

Everything at this point indicates Ridley is playable, IMO. If we've got one character not on the leak, its Ridley, hands down.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, the fact that they answered a question that specifically asked for Ridley and not another one...

Though for the record what comment are you talking about that would make you think that @Capt. Butt Stallion?
GameXplain answered a tweet asking about Ridley with a "We can't answer that either way". The thing is they answered the tweet asking for Ridley and not the others.

It probably means nothing, but it's the only new thing we can talk about right now.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh thank you space pirates, you bring up reasonable explanations. If there were 49 characters, saying "over 40" isn't the best they could say (they could say 45+ or just 49...) and hiding the true roster size makes sense too!

RIDLEY RECONFIRMED IN MY HEART

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
There were 48 characters in the leak, they would've said "Over 45 characters!" in that case. The "Over 40 characters" comment was actually remarking on how many characters were announced to date.

Everything at this point indicates Ridley is playable, IMO. If we've got one character not on the leak, its Ridley, hands down.
We saw a picture of All Star Mode where Ridley should appear, but he doesn't. I think that's a big hint at his exclusion.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
well if gameXplane knows then one of them is a detractor right? all we got to do is listen if he sounds all depressed and whatnot in their next video. lol :cool:

Last edited:

Doomsden

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-8117-9289
We saw a picture of All Star Mode where Ridley should appear, but he doesn't. I think that's a big hint at his exclusion.
Well, that's also the place where Pit and R.O.B. should appear, too, but they aren't there.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everyone everywhere has been over that picture dozens of times.
There are a lot of CONFIRMED characters missing from that line-up.

Besides, it's too early for us to know how exactly that mode works.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
well if gameXplane knows then one of them is a detractor right? all we got to do is listen if he sounds all depressed and whatnot in their next video. lol :cool:
I wouldn't say they would sound depressed. Contrary to popular belief, most detractors aren't Ridley haters, they are simply skeptics in his inclusion to Smash. So even if one of Gamexplain's journalist is a detractor, doesn't mean they will be disappointed in his inclusion. But, there will be a change in their tone, for when they do their discussion vid. That will certainly give us clues.

I feel like I've said this a million times here but....here I go again.....THEY WOULD NOT SHOW UNANNOUNCED NEWCOMERS OR VETERANS IN AN ADVERT. How is this huge evidence for his exclusion like....really? Going by your logic we should also have Pit, Palutena, ZS Samus, Ganondorf, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog there as well. Why do so many people think we would see unannounced characters in a trailer before their confirmation?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I feel like I've said this a million times here but....here I go again.....THEY WOULD NOT SHOW UNANNOUNCED NEWCOMERS OR VETERANS IN AN ADVERT. How is this huge evidence for his exclusion like....really? Going by your logic we should also have Pit, Palutena, Ganondorf, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog there as well. Why do so many people think we would see unannounced characters in a trailer before their confirmation?
And Zamus! Don't forget about Zamus!

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
I don't know about Zamus though she wasn't doesn't her brawl trophy say she debuted in Metroid Zero Misson?
Also i just thought of something. Couldn't they have all the unlockable characters later on in the All-star mode? I'm sure they did it in one of the games..

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I've said this a million times here but....here I go again.....THEY WOULD NOT SHOW UNANNOUNCED NEWCOMERS OR VETERANS IN AN ADVERT. How is this huge evidence for his exclusion like....really? Going by your logic we should also have Pit, Palutena, Ganondorf, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog there as well. Why do so many people think we would see unannounced characters in a trailer before their confirmation?
First of all, Duck Hunt and ROB preclude Metroid, Kid Icarus was released a year later. Those franchises would appear in their respective timelines (1984-1985 and 1986-1987).
And secondly, Nintendo is against doctoring footage or screenshots. Their policy is to show the actual game they way it is and not bullshot it, they didn't edit out Ganondorf after all.

The definitive incarnation of Zero Suit Samus was created in Zero Mission, she will likely be a standalone fighter or be grouped with Olimar maybe?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
First of all, Duck Hunt and ROB preclude Metroid, Kid Icarus was released a year later. Those franchises would appear in their respective timelines (1984-1985 and 1986-1987).
And secondly, Nintendo is against doctoring footage or screenshots. Their policy is to show the actual game they way it is and not bullshot it, they didn't edit out Ganondorf after all.
The problem is, again, we don't know anything about how the mode works. 5 character limit max for all we know.

..........So you honestly think they would show unannounced characters.....before their confirmation.....in...an....advert.....seriously?

Edit: Not trying to be rude, it just boggles my mind that you think Nintendo would let slip any unannounced characters in plain sight. The Ganondorf thing doesn't count he was way more hidden than the all-star screen.

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure Andrea and Derrick actually want Ridley playable.

CaptainIsotope

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I've been a very vehement Ridley fan since Brawl, and I've been lurking around this thread for about a month now. Made an account just to join you guys. Going to work now, just wanted to say I'm with you all 'till the end. Ridley or no Ridley!
I know about the water, won't drink it, something something leave it to Alfonzo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Randomly excluding characters from All Star defeats the purpose of the mode.
Where did I say there was randomly excluded characters? What I mean is, they'll add characters, but won't have more than 5 at a time.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
..........So you honestly think they would show unannounced characters.....before their confirmation.....in...an....advert.....seriously?
They did exactly that in this ad ;)
And they could have chosen a time period where no unseen character appear. Nintendo does not alter game footage or photos, its literally a company wide belief.

They did exactly that in this ad ;)
And they could have chosen a time period where no unseen character appear. Nintendo does not alter game footage or photos, its literally a company wide belief.
You're talking about Ganondorf aren't you? That isn't the same, he was way more hidden than the all-star screen which was more in plain sight.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Where did I say there was randomly excluded characters? What I mean is, they'll add characters, but won't have more than 5 at a time.
Refresh my memory, did you have to fight all three of PT's pokemon in Brawl? That'd come out to six fought at once...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They already did that for commercials for Brawl - when one of them accidentally showed that Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff would be playable (and Mewtwo would be cut) prior to the game's release, they quickly made another version of the commercial that didn't have them. (though it wasn't enough to stop the internet from catching on, of course)

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Could someone please put me on as a Ridley Supporter please? He is definitely my most wanted newcomer, and like many of you have said, everything points to him.

Une

Smash Apprentice

Ah, the Ridley thread. It's about as crazy as I expected it to be.

Yes, you fought all the Pokemon in one round on Spear Pillar.
Or Pokemon Stadium 2.

Ah, the Ridley thread. It's about as crazy as I expected it to be.
It's a madhouse A MADHOUSE!!

Thanks for the support there. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom