• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Everything at this point indicates Ridley is playable, IMO. If we've got one character not on the leak, its Ridley, hands down.

Ah, the Ridley thread. It's about as crazy as I expected it to be.
I'd rather say it was K. Rool, I really would. Ridley isn't anywhere near my most wanted.

Tokimonsta

Smash Rookie
Oh hello don't mind me just had to pop in and say that I've been a casual lurker of the boards for awhile now but never have I felt compelled to actually take the time out to register and create a profile than I did when the Ridley thread was shutdown. It is utterly ridiculous, you give people a forum to discuss their favorite character on and then you shut if down when they do? Really? Yes people were turnt up and extra hype to the max last night but so what?! Is this not the place for them to do that? I mean it does say Ridley on the thread title. I don't see these Ridley stans hijacking other character threads with that, they keep it here, so again what is the issue? The dawn of a new smash game is upon us, people are excited. Why are most you trying so hard to rain on their parade? And with that being said lets get to the real issue here, the real issue is that there is clearly discrimination being shown towards the Ridley stans. Honestly let's keep it one hundred percent real. So it's okay for other people to come in here hijack the thread spew their negativity and hate towards Ridley, trying to get an reaction and argument out of somebody that will eventually derail the thread and leave without no infraction, but the Ridley thread and fans are punished and ticketed.? I don't understand that and that doesn't just happen here on this thread alone. I have never seen the Ridley stans do that. I mean Ridley stans don't go out of their way to hijack threads, tell people their character won't get in, start arguments, etc. It's always an detractor doing this and I would know cause I browse these forums frequently. It seems like the "wizards" are on a united front to give Ridley stans and the thread the raw end the of the stick. It's very obvious, the hate for Ridley is real. Last night in this thread at its peak there were probably 86 active members in the thread with another 80 as guests, I can bet my two front teeth that most of the people inside here last night are the same people who claim they "dislike Ridley" but yet are in here trying derail and un-motivate his stans. This hatred and preferential treatment towards Ridley and his fandom is disgusting ugh! Why are you guys mad? Is it the fact that Ridley is for fact the most wanted character for smash4? That his fan base is huge, not only on here but other social networks out there? That he will be playable? Ridley will be playable and that will be a reality, most of the lot of you need to make peace with this , embrace it, get over it and let it go. Ridley stans are the loudest and most tenacious of any character on here and pretty much everywhere else. You can't deny them or silence them from their stanning. So with the "wizards" doing all of this extra stuff to do that will only backfire and make things more chaotic around here. So you all need to put on your big boy or big girl underwear, get it together, get along and try to actually be a community for once. I mean we all love smash bros, isn't this the reason why we're all here? If anything all of this hate and negatively should be directed at the clones not Ridley. So to end this because one I'm bored and I have other things to do I want to say to the "wizards" be fair, stop being hypocrites, if you expect one fan base, one thread, certain members to act some way or follow rules you should also expect it from them too. It's just so frustrating and disgusting to see this all go down and seeing the Ridley stans being treated like the red headed step child of SBs. So that's it for my rant, I hope it didn't step on anybody toes, especially the wizards, but if it did oh well, I'm being honest don't reject the truth.

Deuces, Tokimonsta :shades:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
and i was hearing that andrew from gamexplain was very suspicius about ridley questions. is there a true thing on it?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
and i was hearing that andrew from gamexplain was very suspicius about ridley questions. is there a true thing on it?
The only thing that happened is he specifically responded to a question about Ridley and not other characters. He only responded with "I can't say." It doesn't mean much, but it is interesting he singled out Ridley.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
"Very suspicious" as in the responded three times to the same question. Sooo..... I think thats suspicious.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Someone messaged Andrew from GameExplain and said "RIIIIIIDLEY?!" and Andre said "I can't say either way." The fact that he responded at all is fishy, though.
Interesting, thought I really doubt it's that meaningful. Did he react to anything else? Was anything else asked anyway?

Either way, I'm still interested in how Ridley would work as a boss. From what we've seen of Yellow Devil, they are trying to stay true of the series. How would he work, like the Super Metroid/Zero Mission/whatever incarnations? He wouldn't have contact damage (as Yellow Devil doesn't have it either+Smash is close combat based so it would just be annoying), so he would probably constantly use claw attacks while moving about. Or they take the Other M attacks and translate that into a 2D fight I guess.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
They asked him for Ridley and he said he couldnt say "anything", which basically people has took like he has seen/knows something, but this has yet to be confirmed xD

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'd back away slowly and pretend that never happened, humouring the leak true or not will likely be the final nail in the coffin for the thread.

Also the PAX Embargo is apparently 13th of September aka the Japanese release rate, and for the record no diconfirmation of Ridley doesn't mean he's confirmed.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Not really. He was asked a Ridley question (facetiously I think) on twitter and he gave what amounted to a "No comment." He gave similar responses to other things on NeoGAF, reiterating that he wouldn't be able to talk about anything.

Chase

Smash Ace
I would expect a legitimate leak coming out of that event sometime soon. Human beings don't always keep their promises, and then we will know about the final fate of our dragon. Until then, all we can do is speculate and bide our time until Sakurai stops this madness once and for all.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'd rather say it was K. Rool, I really would. Ridley isn't anywhere near my most wanted.
He isn't saying Ridley is who he wants more, but is the most likely of the hidden characters because of all the evidence involving him.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
wel if he said on " riiiidleyy" " i cant say" would eventualy mean i cant say hes in or something like that.. well damnit

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I would expect a legitimate leak coming out of that event sometime soon. Human beings don't always keep their promises, and then we will know about the final fate of our dragon. Until then, all we can do is speculate and bide our time until Sakurai stops this madness once and for all.
I doubt anything is going to come out of the PAX roundtable as the release date is super close anyway and most journalists would like to continue working in the industry.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He isn't saying Ridley is who he wants more, but is the most likely of the hidden characters because of all the evidence involving him.
No, he quoted my post (without actually using a quote). I'm the one who posted that, and he said that the Ridley thread is "crazy as usual." I was just responding by remarking how I personally think Ridley is in, but I'm not a diehard Ridley fan. I'm on the Ridley hype train because I fully believe he's playable, not that he's my #1 most wanted newcomer.

I doubt anything is going to come out of the PAX roundtable as the release date is super close anyway and most journalists would like to continue working in the industry.
And yes people, ignore any leaks, especially anyone CLAIMING they were at the PAX event. @ Captain Fun Captain Fun is right on the money on this. We're not getting any new info until release.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I don't know, the consequences for the last legit leak might have put the fear in any potential leakers.
Not to say I would be thrilled if Ridley would be leaked, but odds are we are gonna have to wait to the Japanese release to find out.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Someone add me to the Ridley supporters please!

With all these leaks going on about Ridley, I'm prepared for disappointment if the whole thing is a lie and Sakurai trolled us all. However, I'm PUMPED to see him finally playable

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I am inclined to believe that, if it weren't for that idiotic leaker who forfeited his job at NoA just for his 15 minutes of fame. People are very irrational, wouldn't be surprised if one of them quaked. Hope they don't, though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not really. He was asked a Ridley question (facetiously I think) on twitter and he gave what amounted to a "No comment." He gave similar responses to other things on NeoGAF, reiterating that he wouldn't be able to talk about anything.
For someone named "Captain Fun" you are not very fun. :p

I'm only kidding. I completely agree with you are saying.
You guys are being a little too desperate for answers.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
I thin it would be pretty stupid if Nintendo reveals Ridley or anything in a trailer at the PAX and not pos/show it to the world until the game´s release lol So just like they did with Pacman, if Ridley is revealed they will upload the trailer to the page I pressume

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
@ IsmaR IsmaR Last time I'll bring anything like this up, but I'm afraid to say I didn't actually know that just due to how often the Ridley thread has done things like that and just kind of accepted it as allowed, so I apologize for assuming too much in terms of the autonomy we're afforded in situations like this and probably contributing to the problem with the some of the misplaced hype last night with a very Ridley thread centric post that was kind of celebrating what the Ridley thread had become, for better and for worse. Again sorry for that, and that goes to everyone since I don't imagine I did anything but help get the thread locked last night.

Moving on to actual on topic stuff, just had a dream last night that they revealed Ridley, my first ever Smash dream. I was so disappointed when I woke up and realized hey that was a dream. I gotta say it's official, I'm crazy about seeing the character make it. He shot fire balls in bursts and used his tail like he would imagine, it was just so cool seeing him even if for just a moment in a dream in Smash. It's still so hard for me to imagine how hyped I am for Ridley after never even considering I never wanted him that much until I started lurking around here a couple months ago, and now he's the character I want to see more than any other in Smash. So thanks guys, you put me on this crazy ride and I never want to get off (Or well lose the awesome community sense I get from this thread, I definitely want Ridley confirmed haha)

For someone named "Captain Fun" you are not very fun. :p

I'm only kidding. I completely agree with you are saying.
You guys are being a little too desperate for answers.
We are indeed a desperate bunch of scurvy pirates. Can you blame us though? We've been waiting a long time for any kind of confirmation or de-confirmation.

I thin it would be pretty stupid if Nintendo reveals Ridley or anything in a trailer at the PAX and not pos/show it to the world until the game´s release lol So just like they did with Pacman, if Ridley is revealed they will upload the trailer to the page I pressume
It most likely wasn't a reveal trailer and was a compilation of stuff Nintendo wanted to show the press, which some people speculate was the final roster.

Last edited:
I am also on the hype train too! Please add me!

Also, I think after that leak, nintendo or officials are afraid of people peak their noses into something deeper. I think Ridley as a playable character is only surprise the developers have on deck, so I think Sakurai is trying to protect last of his surprise for the gamers.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Either way, I'm still interested in how Ridley would work as a boss. From what we've seen of Yellow Devil, they are trying to stay true of the series. How would he work, like the Super Metroid/Zero Mission/whatever incarnations? He wouldn't have contact damage (as Yellow Devil doesn't have it either+Smash is close combat based so it would just be annoying), so he would probably constantly use claw attacks while moving about. Or they take the Other M attacks and translate that into a 2D fight I guess.
I imagined he'd be a little smaller than Giga Bowser, constantly hovering a short distance above the upper Pyrosphere platforms. I think he would push fighters around by flapping his wings to create wind, launching fireballs at the ground, and maybe even grapple a fighter and slam him/her/it into the ground.

He better be playable, though.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well, I would like to show my support to Ridley. I don't think I've ever come on this thread before, mostly because it's going way too fast for me and I can't follow the conversation, but I would be really happy if he were added to the roster. I didn't want him in Melee, but I thought he would be in Brawl and having Zero Suit Samus as a newcomer didn't settle well with me as Samus was technically already in the game.

In any case, I would love to see him playable and I don't think it would be that awkward if he was shrunk a bit. After all, he's not that big, he's mostly long. Maybe his tail wouldn't have any hurtbox, same for his wings ?

Edit : Nevermind that, I'm already on the list I think. XD

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They probably didn't just reveal Ridley (if they revealed Ridley), they probably revealed the full cast.

We are indeed a desperate bunch of scurvy pirates. Can you blame us though? We've been waiting awhile.

It most likely wasn't a reveal trailer and was a compilation of stuff Nintendo wanted to show the press.
This, basically. They showed off a bunch of stuff to the press. They likely did not show a trailer at all, they showed stuff to the press so the press could talk about the game upon the Japanese release and hype up the western release.

I am also on the hype train too! Please add me!

Also, I think after that leak, nintendo or officials are afraid of people peak their noses into something deeper. I think Ridley as a playable character is only surprise the developers have on deck, so I think Sakurai is trying to protect last of his surprise for the gamers.
If there are more surprises left, its probably "just" Ridley. Its not all about Ridley. Ridley is extremely popular, but there are several other extremely popular characters still absent. None of the most requested 3 characters worldwide have been announced for this game yet. Mewtwo is the #1 most wanted worldwide and K. Rool #2. Ridley is by far the most wanted in the west, and could arguably be #3 overall.

Well, I would like to show my support to Ridley. I don't think I've ever come on this thread before, mostly because it's going way too fast for me and I can't follow the conversation, but I would be really happy if he were added to the roster. I didn't want him in Melee, but I thought he would be in Brawl and having Zero Suit Samus as a newcomer didn't settle well with me as Samus was technically already in the game.

In any case, I would love to see him playable and I don't think it would be that awkward if he was shrunk a bit. After all, he's not that big, he's mostly long. Maybe his tail wouldn't have any hurtbox, same for his wings ?
Ridley's tail never has a hitbox in any of his bosses either.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
Oh hello don't mind me just had to pop in and say that I've been a casual lurker of the boards for awhile now but never have I felt compelled to actually take the time out to register and create a profile than I did when the Ridley thread was shutdown. It is utterly ridiculous, you give people a forum to discuss their favorite character on and then you shut if down when they do? Really? Yes people were turnt up and extra hype to the max last night but so what?! Is this not the place for them to do that? I mean it does say Ridley on the thread title. I don't see these Ridley stans hijacking other character threads with that, they keep it here, so again what is the issue? The dawn of a new smash game is upon us, people are excited. Why are most you trying so hard to rain on their parade? And with that being said lets get to the real issue here, the real issue is that there is clearly discrimination being shown towards the Ridley stans. Honestly let's keep it one hundred percent real. So it's okay for other people to come in here hijack the thread spew their negativity and hate towards Ridley, trying to get an reaction and argument out of somebody that will eventually derail the thread and leave without no infraction, but the Ridley thread and fans are punished and ticketed.? I don't understand that and that doesn't just happen here on this thread alone. I have never seen the Ridley stans do that. I mean Ridley stans don't go out of their way to hijack threads, tell people their character won't get in, start arguments, etc. It's always an detractor doing this and I would know cause I browse these forums frequently. It seems like the "wizards" are on a united front to give Ridley stans and the thread the raw end the of the stick. It's very obvious, the hate for Ridley is real. Last night in this thread at its peak there were probably 86 active members in the thread with another 80 as guests, I can bet my two front teeth that most of the people inside here last night are the same people who claim they "dislike Ridley" but yet are in here trying derail and un-motivate his stans. This hatred and preferential treatment towards Ridley and his fandom is disgusting ugh! Why are you guys mad? Is it the fact that Ridley is for fact the most wanted character for smash4? That his fan base is huge, not only on here but other social networks out there? That he will be playable? Ridley will be playable and that will be a reality, most of the lot of you need to make peace with this , embrace it, get over it and let it go. Ridley stans are the loudest and most tenacious of any character on here and pretty much everywhere else. You can't deny them or silence them from their stanning. So with the "wizards" doing all of this extra stuff to do that will only backfire and make things more chaotic around here. So you all need to put on your big boy or big girl underwear, get it together, get along and try to actually be a community for once. I mean we all love smash bros, isn't this the reason why we're all here? If anything all of this hate and negatively should be directed at the clones not Ridley. So to end this because one I'm bored and I have other things to do I want to say to the "wizards" be fair, stop being hypocrites, if you expect one fan base, one thread, certain members to act some way or follow rules you should also expect it from them too. It's just so frustrating and disgusting to see this all go down and seeing the Ridley stans being treated like the red headed step child of SBs. So that's it for my rant, I hope it didn't step on anybody toes, especially the wizards, but if it did oh well, I'm being honest don't reject the truth.

Deuces, Tokimonsta :shades:
Holy **** *applauds*

PeterJude

Smash Ace
So I was thinking, Ridley still has a shot at a newcomer trailer of he's in, right? The one yesterday was ok and all but if it was the last it was rather short. Not really a trailer I'd consider grand sendoff to release date. It also didn't show any new villains. Seems like he very likely could get a trailer still, if he's in and going to be revealed before release that is.

Edit: Crainy, what statement? You mean when he replied at someone who asked about Ridley and said he couldn't say? I'd like to think it alludes to something, but on the other hand it could very well just be him shooting down something so people didn't get their hopes up without outright stating it. Not saying I want this to be so, or that I think that's what is going on, just don't take it as a confirmation or anything. Cautiously optimistic would be a safer stance I think.
I have a suspicion that the media embargo going until launch is so they can have some last minute direct and cover the remaining newcomers' trailers (though I expect some others to be shown before then). Who knows though. If I had to guess Ridley would be the last reveal before launch.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well what i want to know is.

Was anybody able to answer when the embargo gets lifted?
It's the 13th, apparently. 13th of September, AKA Japanese Sm4sh release.

I think that that is certainly a something. Yeah, Ridley is on it cool, but he barely mentions anything other than, "hey these characters are in, they also correspond to this one leak, its LEGIT!".
Not exact words but you understand what I mean. I also expect more stuff to have been shown off other than characters, but that doesn't really deconfirm it or anything.
So, conclusion is it's probably your run of the mill attentiongrab with nothing backing it whatsoever. If it is true, cool, we get stuff. If it isn't true, cool, there is probably this other leak that may be true, we get stuff, or hey we saw that Ridley is actually pretty damn small, we get stuff. Or we won't get stuff at all of course but it seems so unlikely now. This leak does not influence Ridley's chances, nothing to worry or get hyped about.

Edit : Nevermind that, I'm already on the list I think. XD
Or his tail could be invincible. I don't know, it'd be a nice little nod towards to series. Or just have it sit next to him. Either way, welcome to our humble abode! Again!

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
I dont think they have revealed them the full roster, none smash game has eveer been fully revealed previous their release date and I think it would be odd if they did now (Too much privilege :C) but one trailer/new thing/mode/etc I think its likeable, specially Ridley thing because he is the most wanted in Western.

I guess I will have to be refresh smashbros page ever hour to see if they add something (?)

Top Bottom