• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You're going to have to elaborate here because I see absolutely zero relative connection between Chroms situation and Ridley. Chrom was a character that gained a lot of traction from Awakening and then got cemented from the Gematsu leak. Everyone figured Chrom would stand up and begin fighting until he gave the "I'll fight another day" line, then showed him as part of Robin's final smash.

That has nothing to do with Ridley being teased as a stage boss.
It's not exactly the same scenario, I'll give you that.

But, the fact that they actually bothered to directly contact IGN to tell them that Chrom isn't playable at all, despite the fact that he showed NO signs of being playable and that ANYONE else would've tell them like "uh, hey, Chrom's actually not playable, check the Smash page", makes pretty clear that they are aware of the happenings of this community, and that they're probably more than aware of Ridley's situation right now.

Remember, just because it's "obvious" to you doesn't mean we find it "obvious" as well.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Again, same with Chrom. The fact it was so obvious he wasn't playable, yet they bothered to clarify that, and not do the same with Ridley, is the main reason why there are still people supporting him.
To be completely fair, the Chrom comparison isn't entirely apt. They only clarified what Chrom's role was when he was officially shown.

D

Deleted member 245254

Zipzo, we get that you both don't believe Ridley is playable and are deaf to all points towards him being playable, you made this clear several hundred pages ago. Why do you insist on returning here and flame baiting/trolling so often?
I think the real burning question is...why are you deaf to all reasons he may not be?

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the real burning question is...why are you deaf to all reasons he may not be?
There are reasons that contest his playable status, and there are reasons that support his playable role. As supporters, more likely than not, we find the reasons for his inclusion as a playable character more compelling than the reasons against his inclusion. Essentially, your arguments are negligible as we deem our arguments more logical (that is not to say they are, that is to say that we believe they are).

To be completely fair, the Chrom comparison isn't entirely apt. They only clarified what Chrom's role was when he was officially shown.
Trust me, Ridley's role will be clarified when he is "officially" shown. :troll:

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Again, same with Chrom. The fact it was so obvious he wasn't playable, yet they bothered to clarify that, and not do the same with Ridley, is the main reason why there are still people supporting him.
I'm going to explain my point about Prince Sablé a bit more in depth.

When Chrom was revealed in the trailer, it was in a way that a lot of people found confusing. And they were hyped about the character (even without Gematsu, Chrom had a ton of fans who were expecting him). So they assumed he was playable.

I can see Chrom having more people going "OMG, he's playable" after that trailer than we had Ridley fans going "OMG, playable Ridley" after the tease. Ridley was implied directly to be nonplayable, though never actually stated, so most fans took it as a "oh, he's a boss".

But Prince Sablé is another thing. He was shown, similar to Ridley, in a way that heavily implied him to be nonplayable. His fanbase is also miniscule by comparison (sorry, @BluePikmin11). There is no POSSIBLE way that there were more Prince Sablé fans screaming "OMG, playable Prince Sablé" than there are fans going "OMG, playable Ridley". It just cannot happen. The fact that they had to go out and disconfirm him specifically totally blew the entire tease out in the open.

There is no POSSIBLE way Nintendo would SPECIFICALLY GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to disconfirm him to prevent false hype because of such a (comparatively) tiny audience, and NOT notice the Ridley fans being false hyped by the ambiguous boss tease.

If Sakurai wanted to keep up the trolling, he should have been a lot more careful to include the words "Oh, he's an Assist Trophy" in that post.

Last edited:

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
I am not, did I indicate I am certain of his inclusion? To deafen one's self to any side of an argument is illogical.
While I am more confident of his inclusion than exclusion, I am not certain.

You on the other are a person that I have observed to return to this thread time and time again not for constructive debate, but to cause arguments, usually repeating the same tired arguments that this thread has seen you post so many times.
The real question is, if you believe your opinion cannot be changed on this matter, and you believe the people of this thread will not change their opinions on this matter, why do you not leave us well enough alone?

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I came here to post a funny reaction gif on how Ridley supporters would walk down the internet come Ridleys conformation and find the same detractor that caused almost single handedly 20 pages added in one day.

Here that is by the way:

I don't understand how the Ridley thread almost exclusively has a problem with detractors. I don't want Krystal anywhere near smash but I don't terrorize and bait her fans.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm going to explain my point about Prince Sablé a bit more in depth.

When Chrom was revealed in the trailer, it was in a way that a lot of people found confusing. And they were hyped about the character (even without Gematsu, Chrom had a ton of fans who were expecting him). So they assumed he was playable.

I can see Chrom having more people going "OMG, he's playable" after that trailer than we had Ridley fans going "OMG, playable Ridley" after the tease. Ridley was implied directly to be nonplayable, though never actually stated, so most fans took it as a "oh, he's a boss".

But Prince Sablé is another thing. He was shown, similar to Ridley, in a way that heavily implied him to be nonplayable. His fanbase is also miniscule by comparison (sorry, @BluePikmin11). There is no POSSIBLE way that there were more Prince Sablé fans screaming "OMG, playable Prince Sablé" than there are fans going "OMG, playable Ridley". It just cannot happen. The fact that they had to go out and disconfirm him specifically totally blew the entire tease out in the open.

There is no POSSIBLE way Nintendo would SPECIFICALLY GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to disconfirm him to prevent false hype because of such a (comparatively) tiny audience, and NOT notice the Ridley fans being false hyped by the ambiguous boss tease.

If Sakurai wanted to keep up the trolling, he should have been a lot more careful to include the words "Oh, he's an Assist Trophy" in that post.
Ridley is so BIG that it is possible to directly imply something regarding him! :surprised:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
...Hey, guess what, guys? WE HAVE AN IGNORE BUTTON. I suggest using it. :facepalm:

If someone is so maliciously ignorant as to come in here time and again with the same tired argument despite every past attempt going the same way, there's nothing else for it. Ignore him. Full stop.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
...Hey, guess what, guys? WE HAVE AN IGNORE BUTTON. I suggest using it. :facepalm:

If someone is so maliciously ignorant as to come in here time and again with the same tired argument despite every past attempt going the same way, there's nothing else for it. Ignore him. Full stop.
I don't see him as being ignorant.

Just somewhat stubborn.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Can't wait to play as Duck Hunt Dog Ridley.
Duck hunt dog is a main character in the game duck hunt
Duck hunt is a game primarily about shooting down sucks
Roidley is a redesign for Other M
Roidley has a duck like beak
Roidley has the ability to fly, much like a duck
Roidley is a duck
DHD/Ridley trailer confirmed.

Zynux

Smash Lord
This reminds me of a certain Metroid Password.

ENGAGERIDLEYMOTHERF***ER (censored edition)
T'was intentional.

I just LOVE how you've thrown in Roy, Mewtwo and King K. Rool into this!
That's it, this is my new screensaver, lol! :laugh:
Edit: I love how it looks like Little Mac's hanging onto Ridley's tongue, not to mention that Waluigi forgot his hype train ticket, :p
I didn't create this image. It's been around for a while, and probably posted on this site numerous times.

I'm just gonna leave this here...
Late to the party, I see! Come in, come in! There still may be cookies left...

(Seriously, I think you're at least 10 pages or more late to this discussion. We already had it, and it has pass already. Some people are still in high hopes, some got a bit more pessimistic, but overall objectively we know just as little information as we did before).

Huh?

I've always entertained the possibility that Ridley may not be playable, and that he may have just been teased for a Boss role. Hell, I always felt that Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo would get shafted in this game.

No one sensible believes that Ridley is a shoo-in, but there are logical reasons for why he may still get included.

No.

Ignoring those whom you disagree with accomplishes nothing. Yes, in the beginning Zipzo was borderline flamebaiting, but just straight up ignoring him, especially now when he's trying to present his arguments better, will only make it worse.

This isn't a Ridley circlejerk thread. At least, it's not supposed to be. Let Zipzo say what he wants as long as he continues to be more respectible then when he first entered here.

Hilariously enough, you simply telling to "ignore him" is less on topic and more spam then his detracting/dissenting posts.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Let's not forget that they did they same thing for Prince Sablé. He wasn't even shown actually fighting on the field, just displayed in a static position, and as a trophy, and they felt the need to clarify that he wasn't playable. That one was the absolute confirmation for me, especially since he had such low fan demand.
When did this happen?

Morbi

Scavenger
Hence maliciously ignorant. Or, possibly, just insane, the definition in use being "does the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
No.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insane
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insanity
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/insane

T'was intentional.

I didn't create this image. It's been around for a while, and probably posted on this site numerous times.

Late to the party, I see! Come in, come in! There still may be cookies left...

(Seriously, I think you're at least 10 pages or more late to this discussion. We already had it, and it has pass already. Some people are still in high hopes, some got a bit more pessimistic, but overall objectively we know just as little information as we did before).

Huh?

I've always entertained the possibility that Ridley may not be playable, and that he may have just been teased for a Boss role. Hell, I always felt that Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo would get shafted in this game.

No one sensible believes that Ridley is a shoo-in, but there are logical reasons for why he may still get included.

No.

Ignoring those whom you disagree with accomplishes nothing. Yes, in the beginning Zipzo was borderline flamebaiting, but just straight up ignoring him, especially now when he's trying to present his arguments better, will only make it worse.

This isn't a Ridley circlejerk thread. At least, it's not supposed to be. Let Zipzo say what he wants as long as he continues to be more respectible then when he first entered here.

Hilariously enough, you simply telling to "ignore him" is less on topic and more spam then his detracting/dissenting posts.
Apparently, I am not "sensible."

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The day of the prince sable disconfirmation. People shouted NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER! But sakurai shot it down and even apologized(???) for his ambiguity. This didn't happen and hasn't happened yet for Ridley though.

:(
Oh. Then I think whether he's playable or not, Sakurai is definitely doing this... THING... on purpose.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I came here to post a funny reaction gif on how Ridley supporters would walk down the internet come Ridleys conformation and find the same detractor that caused almost single handedly 20 pages added in one day.
It's easy to troll people who want Ridley in the game, especially since we were slapped last year and then kicked in the genitals this year. We're not even given a chance to catch our breath.

Ridley's pretty much a Smash meme now.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
When did this happen?
August 4th.

Pic of the day. In this Smash Bros. installment, this little guy is also making an appearance! I…don't know his name, but he's the Prince of the Sablé Kingdom. He's from the Game Boy game Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (translated as The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls), which was only released in Japan.

Here's the trophy of the Sablé Prince. He transforms into a snake or a frog, and unloads multiple attacks on any opponent he catches. Keep attacking your foes when they're trapped in his dust cloud.

When the Nintendo Twitter retweeted these images later that day, it also added in the following line:
"Of course, he's an Assist Trophy."

Last edited:

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
If Sakurai chooses to make Ridley a boss/hazard, so be it. I will still love this game.

But if King K. Rool isn't playable, I'll never forgive him.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Sakurai chooses to make Ridley a boss/hazard, so be it. I will still love this game.

But if King K. Rool isn't playable, I'll never forgive him.
I will still love this game if Ridley and King K. Rool are not playable characters. This makes me a better person than you. :denzel:

But seriously Ridley's role is not entirely relevant to me. I am just glad that he is in the game in some way, shape, or form.
#Humble

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Lol I love trolls like you. Basically everything said by you guys is basically "I HAVE THE SUPERIOR INTELLECT ALL I SAY IS CORRECT NO ONE CAN BE RIGHT UNLESS THEY AGREE WITH ME YOUR EVIDENCE IS ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH CAUSE I SAY SO BLAH BLAH BLAH". It just kinda makes me giggle

Now more on topic
I will still love this game if Ridley and King K. Rool are not playable characters. This makes me a better person than you. :denzel:

But seriously Ridley's role is not entirely relevant to me. I am just glad that he is in the game in some way, shape, or form.
#Humble
Most characters I want to see as playable have little to no chance and I am happy enough to just see them in the game in some form or another. Like Dillion and Ghirahim and Dark Samus. I'm just glad they at least made it in as assist trophies.

Do I think Ridley has a much bigger chance than pretty much any other character I like? Yeah. Will I be super pissed if he is just a stage boss? Not really. Its just a game no sense in getting too upset about it

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the real question is why people care so damn much about convincing each other of a purple dragon's role in a party game. Why does it even matter what other people think?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Duck hunt dog is a main character in the game duck hunt
Duck hunt is a game primarily about shooting down sucks
Roidley is a redesign for Other M
Roidley has a duck like beak
Roidley has the ability to fly, much like a duck
Roidley is a duck
DHD/Ridley trailer confirmed.
This. Must. Happen.

Arcade Style Trailer:
Game of Duck Hunt is going on, happy go lucky music, ducks get shot, the dog pops up:
"Duck Hunt Dog fetches his foes!"
Duck Hunt game continues when suddenly
3 Seconds of terrifying, epic music with a shadowy beast soaring through the air
Cuts back to the game for another 3 seconds, then
Another 3 seconds of terrifying, epic music with a shadowy beast soaring through the air
Cut back to the game, where a giant shadow appears on the screen. The player shoots it, and it falls.
The dog goes to fetch the fallen prey.
A few seconds pass and we hear a high pitched yelp from the dog.
Then Ridley pops up with an evil grin on his face, holding up the dog for the player.
"Ridley mauls the competition!"

HurricaneMarth

Smash Cadet
If NOBODY else was added to the current roster, then it would still be an instabuy. Even without K. Rool or Ness.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
But unlike most of the genius characters in Other M, people actually remembuh Anthony.

I really wish he was in as a Samus Semi-Clone, after Ridley of course.
If Fire Emblem gets a unique newcomer and a clone, why can't Metroid?

Anthony Higgs got style!
Anthony is remembered because he wasn't a prick to Samus.
Okay, no. He was the only character that wasn't a prick, and he was also somewhat competent from what I know of h

Hearing too much about bees and Ridley give me this idea...

View attachment 22824
What is this? Super Ridley Brothers?

You know, once the roster is revealed, I think that more than anything else I'm going to miss speculating with you guys. Pre-Brawl I didn't really appreciate how special a time it is when you don't know the roster, when the possibilities are endless. I just wanted to know the damn characters. But when it ended, when we knew the characters, a little bit of the magic was gone. It was a happy parting, because we had the game, but a parting nonetheless.

This is my second time around the bend, and I just hope you guys appreciate how right now feels. I know it's anxious and anticipatory, but right now any character could be in (well except the deconfirmed ones lol).

Just don't take, this, for granted. It will go away. It might be hard to not know all the answers, but try to enjoy it while it lasts. And don't forget what it felt like, so that when the next smash comes around you'll be waiting to jump right back in.
Oh don't worry. I'll be there. And if Ridley isn't in Sm4sh, then I will support him still in this thread, or by then a new fresh and not buggy one.

Maybe they don't feel the need to clarify because it's obvious?

It was pretty clear as day to me that he was teased as a stage boss, not a playable character.

I don't see any reason to clarify anything. It was clear as day from the moment they showed him.
Prince Sablé was obvious. I mean, his fingers were fused together, like with most assist trophies. There was no banner on the website when he was revealed, so he obviously wasn't playable. Yet people still went and ran with it because his role wasn't stated. There was no reason to clarify that either, yet it was done an hour or so later if I recall correctly. And Sablé has a much smaller fanbase than Ridley.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well, there's still the hammer bro and frog suit...
Oh, poor Ridley :rotfl:
I actually did the Hammer Bro thing with Ridley...and the penguin suit...I will do the frog suit for both Ridley and Roidley later in the day...I guess...

SCAN0174.JPG

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I think the real burning question is... why are you deaf to all reasons he may be?

This is a two way street, buddy. We've heard your arguments. Again, and again and again and again.... We've had answers for them for ages. You're the one ignoring anything we have to say for reasons unknown. (Though I'm definitely suspecting that it's for the entertainment value.)

AndreaAC

Heh. Well, I guess I'd be enjoying myself too if I were allowed to throw hammers about like that.
xD Yeah, it is one of the few costumes I have put him on where I know he wouldn't complain about...along with the Assassin Robes and the tuxedo. unlike this:
SCAN0167.JPG

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Apparently, I am not "sensible."
Oh you.

Well, there's no such thing as a "shoo-in", as no newcomer is guaranteed to get in. Thus, believing any character is a "shoo-in" does not seem "sensible" to me.

#Humble
"Not relevant?" Weren't you the one that bet your account that Ridley would be playable?

Your assertion that Ridley will be playable in this game and your confidence to bet an account on it sure is "humble!" :denzel:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
xD Yeah, it is one of the few costumes I have put him on where I know he wouldn't complain about...along with the Assassin Robes and the tuxedo. unlike this:
View attachment 22851
THAT FACE! IT IS PERFECTION!
If I were to be completely honest, in the unlikely event Ridley DOES become a boss, I'd still have enjoyed my time on the thread, the nice people I meet, the compasion of everyone, the great fanart, the Ridleyculous humor, it's been fun, and that's a fact.

AndreaAC

THAT FACE! IT IS PERFECTION!
If I were to be completely honest, in the unlikely event Ridley DOES become a boss, I'd still have enjoyed my time on the thread, the nice people I meet, the compasion of everyone, the great fanart, the Ridleyculous humor, it's been fun, and that's a fact.
Aww....thank you! :3

Well, now, time to go to sleep...
N2A571_0D486E429C146_000 (2).gif

Oh and before I forgot...I WILL MENTION IT AGAIN....NO ONE CAN USE MY WORK, ASK FOR IT. OTHERWISE I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN....and probably assassinate you...literally.

I'm watching you.....

Top Bottom