• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
The statue's model looks identical to Palutena's in-game model sans it being a statue, and it being bigger. It's still part of the background though and not the playable character herself.

As for Toon Link, he's a veteran, and judging by his graphic style there was no way he was going to look like that if he was playable.

With Ridley we saw him in motion, on the stage. We didn't see all of him but we did see his tail and shadow.
Please correct me if I am mistaken, but the current bit of concern is about Mr. Sakurai, showing a small piece of Ridleys body, which he never did for any other playable character before their release? If that si the case, I don't, understand the concern honestly. Mr. Sakurai seems to have been doing alot of "firsts" with his reveals, for the basic ones like first animal crossing characters, to first time trying to make a smash trailer look like something else( I count Mario Kart 8) and the first character reveal that looked like someone else( Greninja first, those the Lucina Chrom thing was pretty funny too). With all that, isn't a first for showing a character before being officially revealed be reasonable? Granted, if Game & Watch happens, that would only make Ridley second on that list.

Again, please correct me if I missed something.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 19190
"...................NOPE................."
xD Sorry!
looks like ridley's reaction to rule 34 of himself. :chuckle:

oh well, jigglypuff will chase ridley for all eternity, much like amy rose does to sonic.

well, now that i have probably given people some horrible images in their minds...

has anyone ever just marched right up to someone from nintendo at one of these events and pestered them about ridley?

im sure if someone stalked and annoyed someone from nintendo, they could get SOMETHING outta them.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
@ Thermithral Thermithral Those don't exactly pertain to what we are talking about. There are firsts for many things, it's inevitable.

You're kinda missing the fact that Sakurai has never shown NEWCOMERS before their official reveal.

@ Waluigi is too big Waluigi is too big I guess R.O.B. may count, but then again, he blatantly revealed them as enemies, and didn't reveal R.O.B. to be playable until post-release. With Ridley he said there will be stage bosses but didn't downright say "Ridley is a boss."

So I guess an amended statement should be that Sakurai has never shown a newcomer or part of a newcomer before officially revealing them pre-release.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Those don't exactly pertain to what we are talking about. There are firsts for many things, it's inevitable.

You're kinda missing the fact that Sakurai has never shown NEWCOMERS before their official reveal.

I guess R.O.B. may count, but then again, he blatantly revealed them as enemies, and didn't reveal R.O.B. to be playable until post-release.

So I guess an amended statement should be that Sakurai has never shown a newcomer or part of a newcomer before revealing them officially to be a newcomer pre-release.
I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but this is heading into "It is the exception because it is Ridley" territory.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Those don't exactly pertain to what we are talking about. There are firsts for many things, it's inevitable.

So I guess an amended statement should be that Sakurai has never shown a newcomer or part of a newcomer before officially revealing them pre-release.

My main point was, just because he has not yet, does not mean he wont. Mr. Sakurai, I think we can all agree, have been doing a good job of adding if anything, variety to his reveals this time.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

I guess R.O.B. may count, but then again, he blatantly revealed them as enemies, and didn't reveal R.O.B. to be playable until post-release. With Ridley he said there will be stage bosses but didn't downright say "Ridley is a boss."

really?

someone finally finds proof that you were wrong... and now you're "amending" your statement to shoot down that proof?

yeah, you CERTAINLY arent coming off as trying to irritate people...

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but this is heading into "It is the exception because it is Ridley" territory.
really?

someone finally finds proof that you were wrong... and now you're "amending" your statement to shoot down that proof?

yeah, you CERTAINLY arent coming off as trying to irritate people...
My point of view changes given new evidence, it's a sensible thing to do.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
@ Thermithral Thermithral Those don't exactly pertain to what we are talking about. There are firsts for many things, it's inevitable.

@ Waluigi is too big Waluigi is too big I guess R.O.B. may count, but then again, he blatantly revealed them as enemies, and didn't reveal R.O.B. to be playable until post-release. With Ridley he said there will be stage bosses but didn't downright say "Ridley is a boss."

except that that easily dosent mean anything and Sakurai dosent care about that rule?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
My point of view changes given new evidence, it's a sensible thing to do.
no, its a "**** people off" thing to do.

your one and ONLY argument was "sakurai never showed newcomers before confirming them"... that was PROVEN FALSE.

now you're changing things around to ignore that proof and continue arguing just because this time it was ridley.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Hahaha, not really. Sounds like you're the one irritated.

So my previous statement is inaccurate given new information. So now I amend my statement, acknowledge the change, and make it accurate with that in mind.

Thanks @ Waluigi is too big Waluigi is too big for the information regarding R.O.B. I guess that debunks my original statement. R.O.B. is really just another R.O.B. and it was shown prior to its reveal.

Christ, people. Stop annoying yourselves haha.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hey, hey... jigglypuff is DANGEROUS.

you have any idea how many KOs i got in cruel melee/brawl with her?

infact, its thanks to her that i got through several tough challenges.

she's like a pink, puffy, female balloon version of ridley... she'd make a good wife for him, they could rule the cosmos together.

andrea, get to work on that, a ridley+jigglypuff pairing!

or, more seriously... what about some victory poses for ridley?
I sense a revival of the shipping department....

To get us all off to a good (re)start:

Ridley X Jigglypuff?

A cute little backstory for it:

Ridley found himself disarmed by the carefree nature of this pink puffball with giant eyes, she was surrounded by a squad of space pirates, with Ridley bearing down over her, and yet, she was completely unintimidated by his dragon-like appearance, only concerned with finally having an audience that would not fall asleep by the sound of her voice.

She began to sing. Ridley watched, astonished, as his Space Pirates fell one by one, somehow falling asleep as they heard her voice. Yet somehow, Ridley was unaffected, the last Space Pirate fell as she sang the last verse, and as she opened her eyes she noticed Ridley, the only one who had not fallen into a deep slumber, staring at her, his yellow eyes full of intrigue, wonder, and infatuation. "Who is this mystical being, who seems harmless, yet can incapacitate some of my strong and loyal soldiers with her voice alone?" he asked himself, as he slowly drew closer, amazed by her apparent power. Jigglypuff could not look away, she held Ridley's gaze, the one creature of all her concerts who had not disrespectfully fallen asleep while she was singing. He was the only one to have shown any respect, the only one, she decided, that she would ever want to be with. They drew closer and closer to each other, until they were face to face, their eyes sparkling in awe, drawn into a tight embrace, both experiencing at first sight what they once had thought impossible: True Love.

Ridley and Jigglypuff returned to his ship and they set out on their conquest to kill Samus Aran.

Their True love proving indomitable as they went on to conquer the Universe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
How did the nature of Ridley being physically shown in some form get so...confrontational? People emotions must be explosive due to the possibility of Reggie vs Hungrybox tomorrow.

In my dreams, anyway. :D

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Come on @The Soulless One you know you want to approve that RidleyxJigglypuff ship so I can succumb to the Assassin Madness yet again!

tumblr_mgprg9QUvn1rvdkmwo2_500.gif

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
How did the nature of Ridley being physically shown in some form get so...confrontational? People emotions must be explosive due to the possibility of Reggie vs Hungrybox tomorrow.

In my dreams, anyway. :D
Yeah, funny how I try to present evidence that is viable, and patterns (that people love to use for speculation) and still people get worked up. Guess that's the Ridley thread for ya.

I guess I was trying to provide a "pattern" to speculate with that wasn't an instance with a singular repitition (i.e the Trophy Quiz theory).

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

Ridley x Jigglypuff?

Ridley found himself disarmed by the carefree nature of this pink puffball with giant eyes, she was surrounded by a squad of space pirates, with Ridley bearing down over her, and yet, she was completely unintimidated by his dragon-like appearance, only concerned with finally having an audience that would not fall asleep by the sound of her voice.

She began to sing. Ridley watched, astonished, as his Space Pirates fell one by one, somehow falling asleep as they heard her voice. Yet somehow, Ridley was unaffected, the last Space Pirate fell as she sang the last verse, and as she opened her eyes she noticed Ridley, the only one who had not fallen into a deep slumber, staring at her, his yellow eyes full of intrigue, wonder, and infatuation. "Who is this mystical being, who seems harmless, yet can incapacitate some of my strong and loyal soldiers with her voice alone?" he asked himself, as he slowly drew closer, amazed by her apparent power. Jigglypuff could not look away, she held Ridley's gaze, the one creature of all her concerts who had not disrespectfully fallen asleep while she was singing. He was the only one to have shown any respect, the only one, she decided, that she would ever want to be with. They drew closer and closer to each other, until they were face to face, their eyes sparkling in awe, drawn into a tight embrace, both experiencing at first sight what they once had thought impossible: True Love.

Ridley and Jigglypuff returned to his ship and they set out on their conquest to kill Samus Aran.

THANK YOU!

that was lovely.

now we just need some art to go along with it.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Zero Suit Ridley, hiding two Jigglypuffs in his chest. BAM, masterpiece. This would also solve the gender problem.
...what? o_O

The amount of context i think I am missing leaves enough empty space for Ridley to hide before his reveal...

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Ridley X Jigglypuff?

Why is Ridley shipped with anyone? He's a massive purple space dragon of death!

D

Deleted member

Because I said so.

:shades:

But mostly because I got bored one day and such things amuse me. After all, seeing a psychopathic sadist fall head-over-heels in love with a random video game character isn't opportunity you get every day. So I decided to make that happen. :awesome:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@ AndreaAC AndreaAC draw some fanart of Ridley holding a picket sign with a picture of Jigglypuff on it that is crossed out, and Ridley is saying "No, never."

I'd like Ridley to be voiced and Mo-Capped by Benedict Cumberbatch, I think that is a reasonable proposition.
That ain't Gilbert Gottfried. 0/10

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Because I said so.

:shades:

But mostly because I got bored one day and such things amuse me. After all, seeing a psychopathic sadist fall head-over-heels in love with a random video game character isn't opportunity you get every day. So I decided to make that happen. :awesome:
Well, if Ridleys gonna love anyone, it's someone just as evil as him; so Wii fit trainer all the way

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
because this is the internet... you'd be surprised at what you can find on it.

for me, though... well... there are no more surprises.

i'll leave it at that.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
So if sakurai has announced non-playable characters then reveal them them playable characters, then I don't see how sakurai never showing a character that maybe playable is a problem. But hell, I'm tired I should not argue with people at midnight.

D

Deleted member

Someone questions the Gilbert Gottfridley?

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Not that funny, but ok.

So if sakurai has announced non-playable characters then reveal them them playable characters, then I don't see how sakurai never showing a character that maybe playable is a problem. But hell, I'm tired I should not argue with people at midnight.
Don't worry about it, I was trying to provide a better pattern to speculate over than the Trophy Quiz theory which only has a repetition of an instance, which doesn't constitute a pattern. With R.O.B. I guess my "pattern" is inconsistent in one instance. And many people see patterns point towards Ridley's role as opposed to seeing evidence point towards Ridley's role, so I was just trying to present a less faulty theory to go by.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm surprised people aren't shipping Ridley and Tiki. 2000+ year-old dragon x dragon that keeps coming back from the dead? Come on now.

Last edited:

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
Metroid is my famous series of all time. I love these games. The gameplay, environments, music... Everything just really does come together in Metroid games. Ever since I saw Ridley in the opening for Melee I've been a huge supporter of him in Smash and I think he'd make an amazing addition. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Other M (like, at all), I think they could take some design liberties with Roidley and give him a bit of a redesign in a similar way they did to Samus. Though I miss those shoulder spikes dearly. It's easy to imagine a moveset for him, and I've never really felt that the size comparisons were necessary since his problem is more his proportions than his actual size. Even then it's not a big issue. I also think Dark Samus being an Assist Trophy is the biggest Assist Trophy casualty this game has seen so far, especially considering the Smash dev team proved that it wouldn't be a clone of Samus if it were playable. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I love Metroid. A lot.

I wish I had the confidence that the rest of you have for his inclusion though. I agree it's a little weird how long this has dragged out, as well as the nature of the reveal... But I just can't conjure up the confidence that you guys have for his inclusion. I've seen all the evidence from both sides of the fence, and I just can't decide whether I want to keep confident and have my hopes destroyed for a third time or simply accept that I don't think he will be playable and be bouncing off the walls if he actually does end up being playable.

I got Little Mac. I got Megaman. I got Villager. Ridley's the last on my list, and I would turn into a living pile of hype if he were to be revealed. I will tell you guys to stay strong for those of us who aren't quite as confident as you, because if everybody thinks the same way I do, then by the time Smash 5 rolls around we won't have anyone who wants him and it won't matter anymore.

quad_draxis

Smash Rookie
-Ridley is too big
-Not really, cause Bowser is too big
-Resizes happen
-Sakurai Happens
-Ridley is in Smash bros in some sort of way
-Quadraxis is the hugest boss Metroid boss
-QUADRAXIS CONFIRMED WITH RIDLEY FINAL SMASH
:happysheep::denzel::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::denzel::happysheep:
I am in the game and can confirm this to be true. Sorry everyone.

Top Bottom