• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
That's definitely true. But then I could argue that we only really saw the tip of Ridley's tail, and only for a fraction of a second too. It's not like we've seen his entire model or anything. Hell, no one even knows for sure what he'll actually look like.
Well yeah we only saw his tail, but we also saw the shadow of his body. We only saw parts of him and not his entirety. The tail definitely belongs to Other M's iteration of Ridley though, so it's safe to assume that the Other M iteration of Ridley is in the game.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
Well yeah we only saw his tail, but we also saw the shadow of his body. We only saw parts of him and not his entirety. The tail definitely belongs to Other M's iteration of Ridley though, so it's safe to assume that the Other M iteration of Ridley is in the game.
Yeah it probably will be that, but we still don't know exactly how it'll look like. Samus got polished up and she uses the Other M model.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I think the only problem here wouldn't be size, but weight, Phaazoid you're a human sized metal robot, you alone would seem hard to carry, that and considering how about a quarter of this fanbase has gallons of splounge water, which I've heard is quite heavy
I Should be light! I've Never Dranken any of the Splounge Water!
just.....Ignore the fact that I as an entity am both Ridley and Kraid, who weigh several thousand tons, and you shall be fine. CARRY US TO VICTORY!
*Assumes King Dedede's crouching animation on your back*

EDIT: Hm....Someone Draw That. Ridley and Kraid in Dedede's crouching animation.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
What if I told you that I'm Sakurai and this is my undercover name and I'm reading all of this but I'm going to disconfirm him anyway because I'm a heartless monster and love you all suffer?

<3

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
What if I told you that I'm Sakurai and this is my undercover name and I'm reading all of this but I'm going to disconfirm him anyway because I'm a heartless monster and love you all suffer?

<3
well, IF that were true... i would have one thing to say.

"sayonara, sakurai"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, that's definitely true, and I agree. Lip 4 Smash, plz.

But still, Metroid [and DK] are still pretty lacking in representation despite being big classic series that have been around in Smash since the very beginning.
I'd say DK (currently) has more of a raw deal, though I can at least understand somewhat why that'd be what with Rare and all pre-Brawl (though it doesn't excuse Sakurai not even thinking of the classic DK Jr. as a clone option in Melee).

With Metroid, it hasn't done too bad, all things considered.

-Yes, the only playable characters so far are Samus and Samus without her armor, but other than Ridley, Metroid doesn't really have any characters that are both major and viable. Except maybe Dark Samus, but she's an Assist.

-Metroid has three Assists now, which is currently more than any franchise that isn't the big names Mario and Zelda. And it was going to have two in Brawl, which would have been a big deal considering only Mario had more than one Assist then.
DK currently hasn't been shown with one, and didn't have one in Brawl.

-Metroid had not one, but two bosses in Brawl. More than any other franchise (unless Pig King Statue counts). Yes, they were both Ridley, much like both playable characters for Metroid were Samus, but still.
At least Metroid's most iconic villain plays a role in the story. DK's iconic villain was nothing but a trophy.

-Currently, Metroid has four enemies featured in Smash Run as opposed to DK's two. Admittedly, it's not much compared to other franchises (including Smash itself), but it's about the same as Pokémon at this point. Though there's supposedly Kraid and a "large Kremling" to consider...

-Stage-wise, Metroid's generally averaged out with the rest of the franchises, but in Brawl, Metroid has three stages featured, which is tied for second most alongside Donkey Kong, Pokémon, and Zelda. Mario was first with a whopping 6.
As for Smash 4, we've seen only one stage for each so far, but Metroid's is a new stage while DK's is a returning stage from Melee.

Though no one really cares about that; they just care about the characters.
As much as it pains me to say it, unless the franchise adds more characters that are both major and viable, Ridley would be the last character it gets in Smash.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I Should be light! I've Never Dranken any of the Splounge Water!
just.....Ignore the fact that I as an entity am both Ridley and Kraid, who weigh several thousand tons, and you shall be fine. CARRY US TO VICTORY!
*Assumes King Dedede's crouching animation on your back*

EDIT: Hm....Someone Draw That. Ridley and Kraid in Dedede's crouching animation.
Never said that the splouge water was in people, I'm just sure people like Andrea has gallons upon gallons of that stuff, considering how I think she was the first one to force it down people's throats, and btw, doing the dedede crouching animation IS MANDATORY for being carried, you don't do it, you'll be thrown off

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
well, IF that were true... i would have one thing to say.

"say goodbye, sakurai."
Couldn't you think of any better pre-mortem one-liners? "Say goodbye, Sakurai"? I'm not going to give you bonus points for rhyming.

I'd say DK (currently) has more of a raw deal, though I can at least understand somewhat why that'd be what with Rare and all pre-Brawl (though it doesn't excuse Sakurai not even thinking of the classic DK Jr. as a clone option in Melee).

With Metroid, it hasn't done too bad, all things considered.

-Yes, the only playable characters so far are Samus and Samus without her armor, but other than Ridley, Metroid doesn't really have any characters that are both major and viable. Except maybe Dark Samus, but she's an Assist.

-Metroid has three Assists now, which is currently more than any franchise that isn't the big names Mario and Zelda. And it was going to have two in Brawl, which would have been a big deal considering only Mario had more than one Assist then.
DK currently hasn't been shown with one, and didn't have one in Brawl.

-Metroid had not one, but two bosses in Brawl. More than any other franchise (unless Pig King Statue counts). Yes, they were both Ridley, much like both playable characters for Metroid were Samus, but still.
At least Metroid's most iconic villain plays a role in the story. DK's iconic villain was nothing but a trophy.

-Currently, Metroid has four enemies featured in Smash Run as opposed to DK's two. Admittedly, it's not much compared to other franchises (including Smash itself), but it's about the same as Pokémon at this point. Though there's supposedly Kraid and a "large Kremling" to consider...

-Stage-wise, Metroid's generally averaged out with the rest of the franchises, but in Brawl, Metroid has three stages featured, which is tied for second most alongside Donkey Kong, Pokémon, and Zelda. Mario was first with a whopping 6.
As for Smash 4, we've seen only one stage for each so far, but Metroid's is a new stage while DK's is a returning stage from Melee.

Though no one really cares about that; they just care about the characters.
As much as it pains me to say it, unless the franchise adds more characters that are both major and viable, Ridley would be the last character it gets in Smash.
Yeah. In terms of available viable characters, DK has a few. Not much, but a few. Metroid has a great lack of characters, unless you are willing to count the one-off bounty hunters, which I don't see making it into the game.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So apparently characters like Mother Brain and SA-X are more likely to get in than Ridley? Okay then...

I understand all of your points though. It just seems to me, as well as to a good portion of the fanbase, that the lack of any playable character who isn't Samus is nonetheless rubbing salt in our decades' long wounds. "Oh hey, look at this one character who everyone in the fanbase wants playable. Let's make him a boss over the more sensible choices! And while we're at it, let's put in some generic stages with the name Brinstar of Zebes slapped on them so that they think we care about them."

If Ridley can't make it in, then I have to say that Sakurai just doesn't give a damn about Metroid.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't you think of any better pre-mortem one-liners? "Say goodbye, Sakurai"? I'm not going to give you bonus points for rhyming.
well, i actually had something better, but i edited it because i wasnt sure what kind of murderous implications i could get away with on here.

i edited it again, getting rid of the rhyme, happy now?

look, damn it... im tired!

i'll come up with a better "im gonna kill you" line, later.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Ridley isn't playable there will be no third Metroid rep, simple as that.
Pretty much this. Even if Metroid somehow introduced more potentially viable newcomer candidates, Ridley would still be at the front of the line, because he will always be an iconic Nintendo villain, with a large and devoted fanbase supporting him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So apparently characters like Mother Brain and SA-X are more likely to get in than Ridley? Okay then...
That's what you got from that?

I've pretty much explained that Ridley is the only character Metroid has (excluding Samus, obviously) that is both major and viable.
So after him, that's it for Metroid unless we get another character that's both major and viable.
Mother Brain is major, but not viable.
SA-X is viable (albeit as a Samus clone), but not major.

I understand all of your points though. It just seems to me, as well as to a good portion of the fanbase, that the lack of any playable character who isn't Samus is nonetheless rubbing salt in our decades' long wounds. "Oh hey, look at this one character who everyone in the fanbase wants playable. Let's make him a boss over the more sensible choices! And while we're at it, let's put in some generic stages with the name Brinstar of Zebes slapped on them so that they think we care about them."
Yeah, because it's not like he does generic stages for other franchises and slap on names just to make them seem non-generic....:rolleyes:

If Ridley can't make it in, then I have to say that Sakurai just doesn't give a damn about Metroid.
Which is quite childish.
While I wouldn't agree with the decision to not have Ridley playable, I understand that it would have to do with Sakurai having a different vision in mind for Ridley (one I'm not obligated to support) and not with some bias against the entire Metroid franchise.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To play Devil's Advocate, Brawl listed Toad's trophy in the data under the English name (Toad) as opposed to the Japanese one (Kinopio). Even Toadette and Toadsworth were under their Japanese names.
That is true, it is possible that they repeated that mistake. Having said that though, I don't think it's likely as it's not the only mistake it made (Floralia should also be Florald) and the other games didn't make that mistake with their own stage names. So I'm more leaning towards it being fake, at least until it gets more stages under its belt.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Sakurai has no problem with including 1-game-characters-only though. Look at: Sheik, Robin, Lucina, Lucas, Greninja, Zero suit Samus and Lucario (back then only pokemon diamond released).

So we see that it is possible for 1 game characters only to get in. In Metroid that would either be Sa-X, Rundas (gandrayda/ghor) or 1 of the hunters. Would this be logical over Ridley? HELL NO. Plus all those games are really outdated. But just saying it IS possible.

D

Deleted member

That is true, it is possible that they repeated that mistake. Having said that though, I don't think it's likely as it's not the only mistake it made (Floralia should also be Florald) and the other games didn't make that mistake with their own stage names. So I'm more leaning towards it being fake, at least until it gets more stages under its belt.
I believe it's fake as well, but I'm willing to check in Brawl's partition files (which I can't find anymore dammit!) on stages for their filenames to confirm that everything is the Japanese name.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I checked. All of the names for Brawl are the Japanese names. But who knows. Bandai Namco could be doing it differently.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Wait a sec...

Monday PotD: purple/black "Nosferatu" attack.
Tuesday PotD: stage with space theme.
Wednsday PotD: stage with boss.

RIDLEY CONFIRMED.

(Joking, sorry I had to do that at least once X3)

D

Deleted member

Sakurai has no problem with including 1-game-characters-only though. Look at: Sheik, Robin, Lucina, Lucas, Greninja, Zero suit Samus and Lucario (back then only pokemon diamond released).

So we see that it is possible for 1 game characters only to get in. In Metroid that would either be Sa-X, Rundas (gandrayda/ghor) or 1 of the hunters. Would this be logical over Ridley? HELL NO. Plus all those games are really outdated. But just saying it IS possible.
Sheik is Zelda and was included as part of a transformation gimmick for Zelda. Doesn't count.
Robin, Lucina, and Lucas are from franchises that change its protagonist and cast each game (with very few exceptions in Fire Emblem's case).
Zero Suit Samus appeared in Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime Hunters, which were both prior to Brawl. (And Prime 3 using her Brawl model, but it only came out in America before Brawl did). Zero Mission is just the only game where you played as Zero Suit.
Pokémon are under a different set of rules. Aside from that, Lucario starred in a movie prior to Brawl, was in legend as the greatest rescue leader in the original Mystery Dungeon titles which also featured a statue of Lucario and a special "Lucario Rank" for the player, and appeared in physical form in the Time/Darkness Mystery Dungeons, which were released before Brawl in Japan. Also appeared in Battle Revolution. Greninja is one of the major antagonist Pokémon in the latest movie and in The Thieves and the 1000 Pokémon 3DS download title, and also appears in Pokémon Battle Trozei and Pokémon Art Academy, both released before Smash 3DS.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Wait a sec...

Monday PotD: purple/black "Nosferatu" attack.
Tuesday PotD: stage with space theme.
Wednsday PotD: stage with boss.

RIDLEY CONFIRMED.

(Joking, sorry I had to do that at least once X3)
Lmao, couldn't resist...

Thursday PotD: "Good news. The Super Mushroom is back."
Friday PotD: "Aren't Metroids cute?"

Edit: I hope I'm the heir to the Monado.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Sheik is Zelda and was included as part of a transformation gimmick for Zelda. Doesn't count.
Robin, Lucina, and Lucas are from franchises that change its protagonist and cast each game (with very few exceptions in Fire Emblem's case).
Zero Suit Samus appeared in Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime Hunters, which were both prior to Brawl. (And Prime 3 using her Brawl model, but it only came out in America before Brawl did). Zero Mission is just the only game where you played as Zero Suit.
Pokémon are under a different set of rules. Aside from that, Lucario starred in a movie prior to Brawl, was in legend as the greatest rescue leader in the original Mystery Dungeon titles which also featured a statue of Lucario and a special "Lucario Rank" for the player, and appeared in physical form in the Time/Darkness Mystery Dungeons, which were released before Brawl in Japan. Also appeared in Battle Revolution. Greninja is one of the major antagonist Pokémon in the latest movie and in The Thieves and the 1000 Pokémon 3DS download title, and also appears in Pokémon Battle Trozei and Pokémon Art Academy, both released before Smash 3DS.
Good points.

But if, for example, Sa-X was extremely popular, eventhough she appeares in one game, there would be a possibility that she would get in. Eventhough she's from 1 game only.

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Let me amend my statement. During pre-release times, we have never seen any newcomers or glimpses of parts of newcomers (such as shadows, tails, limbs, etc.) in anything shown by Sakurai, before they are intended to be fully revealed, by Sakurai.

For example, we never saw glimpses of Pokemon Trainer's butt in the Dojo before he was revealed as a newcomer in the Dojo. We never saw a shadow of Diddy Kong scratching his butt before he was revealed as a a newcomer in the Dojo. We never saw Dedede's jiggly belly before we saw him as a newcomer.
This is one of the strongest arguments that I've heard against Ridley, frankly it has all but shot down my hopes of Ridley. Never in the history of smash EVER has there been a character that was shown moving about only to be revealed later on. Albeit it's not as simple as that, judging from the way Sakurai does everything for building hype, I couldn't imagine him literally showing off bits of a character before revealing them.

I've already been in the boat of skeptical optimism, but this is a really valid point that has made me now harshly pessimistic of Ridley's playability in this game. RIP my dreams. Oh well. Come what may, within the next 2 months all of this speculation will come to an end.

D

Deleted member

I checked. All of the names for Brawl are the Japanese names. But who knows. Bandai Namco could be doing it differently.
Found a way to look at Brawl's partition again.

Battlefield is listed as Battlefield. The "stage leak" lists it as Senjo after Senjou, the kanji used to name it; perhaps that seals the fate of the leak. (Senjou translates to Battlefield, btw)
Final Destination is listed as Final, as opposed to Endpoint. The leak uses Endpoint, which brings another slash to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the strongest arguments that I've heard against Ridley, frankly it has all but shot down my hopes of Ridley. Never in the history of smash EVER has there been a character that was shown moving about only to be revealed later on. Albeit it's not as simple as that, judging from the way Sakurai does everything for building hype, I couldn't imagine him literally showing off bits of a character before revealing them.

I've already been in the boat of skeptical optimism, but this is a really valid point that has made me now harshly pessimistic of Ridley's playability in this game. RIP my dreams. Oh well. Come what may, within the next 2 months all of this speculation will come to an end.
well, if thats the end of it, we may as well close this topic, now.

come on, people, may as well hand victory over to the detractors... who is gonna be the emissary who goes onto miiverse and/or gamefaqs and surrenders to them?

i mean, everyone has given up, right?

why bother arguing anymore... its over.

just figured i'd put everyone else's thoughts out in the open.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
o-o But drawing humans is WAY harder than drawing a space dragon!...Well...deppending in which form you choose to draw....
I guess it comes down to what you drawn more of...

D

Deleted member

Good points.

But if, for example, Sa-X was extremely popular, eventhough she appeares in one game, there would be a possibility that she would get in. Eventhough she's from 1 game only.
If it didn't work for Geno (who actually was a big request for Smash during Brawl speculation), I doubt it would work for SA-X.
Especially since SA-X is exactly like Samus pre-Fusion.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice

This may be true to some sense, but Nintendo is always innovative. Why would they not try something new?

Edit: We should never be able to predict Nintendo based off correlations in past games. There are always more than meets the eye.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Remember though, he showed two of Pac - Man's attacks before his reveal.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Hmm...yeah, you are right about that,,,

Uh.....why? .___.
Don't worry about it, 'tis a joke *pats head* :3

On topic, I still seriously hate the idea of controllable Boss characters mode (people seem to be clinging onto that rumour).

It's rather pointless and gimmicky, not to mention that the extra effort could have made the characters fully playable ._.

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
well, if thats the end of it, we may as well close this topic, now.

come on, people, may as well hand victory over to the detractors... who is gonna be the emissary who goes onto miiverse and/or gamefaqs and surrenders to them?

i mean, everyone has given up, right?

why bother arguing anymore... its over.

just figured i'd put everyone else's thoughts out in the open.
I just stated my stance on it. This isn't some childish "battle" between Ridley believers and detractors. It's a discussion about whether or not Ridley will be in the next smash as a playable character. If you want to take what I said and react melodramatically that's on you, just be aware it makes you take a condescending approach to an otherwise civil discussion. I didn't suddenly make Ridley's chances of being playable go down, I simply responded to a valid point brought up in a discussion.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Don't worry about it, 'tis a joke *pats head* :3

On topic, I still seriously hate the idea of controllable Boss characters mode (people seem to be clinging onto that rumour).

It's rather pointless and gimmicky, not to mention that the extra effort could have made the characters fully playable ._.
What, you wouldn't be happy playing as Ridley on a single stage as a massive punching bag with non-tradional Smash Bros. rules applying only to him? You entitled whiner.

Bobomberman

Smash Cadet
Remember though, he showed two of Pac - Man's attacks before his reveal.
I was under the impression that those are both useable by pacman as a move, and part of the new "Special Flag" item (like the galaga ship) but maybe I just drew that conclusion on my own...

Top Bottom