• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If Ridley is announced as a playable character, to troll, we should all complain that he's too small, regardless of how big he is in game.

And then do it all over again when the game comes out, if he's revealed before that.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Good news! As of this post it's unanimously in favor of Ridley.

Because I'm the only vote.

And I want Ridley.

CLOSE THE POLL.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I can charge blindly for the 100% confirmation because I have a magical Robin shield with +3 magical defense against hopes crushing! .
RESISTANCE
YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FIRE EMBLEM DO YOU

If Ridley is announced as a playable character, to troll, we should all complain that he's too small, regardless of how big he is in game.

And then do it all over again when the game comes out, if he's revealed before that.
And then Sakurai catches on and joins us by resizing Ridley to twice his playable size.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Two words.
Donkey. Kong.
Metroid has overall more content featured than Donkey Kong thus far.
I knew that's what you were referring to.

But hey, at least they got a newcomer in Brawl :4diddy: that's actually a different entity from the main character protagnist. :4zss: :troll:

[Also, that kinda is the only franchise that is pretty much in the same boat as Metroid, iirc]

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
carry me pls
I'LL CARRY EVERYONE!

the entire ridley fanbase can rely on my strength!

You should have doubt. Being 100% sure will only lead to extreme disappointment; trust me.
its too late for that, whether i start doubting it now, or sakurai fully disappoints me later, i will be crushed either way.

so the best i can do is be hopeful enough for every ridley fan out there.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
DK has Japes. We even learned that once again you can't swim.

All we've learned about Pyrosphere aside from inconclusive shadow/translations is that magma/holes are pretty.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

But hey, at least they got a newcomer in Brawl :4diddy: that's actually a different entity from the main character protagnist. :4zss: :troll:

[Also, that kinda is the only franchise that is pretty much in the same boat as Metroid, iirc]
Two western focused franchises... Im starting to see a pattern there...

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
DK has Japes. We even learned that once again you can't swim.

All we've learned about Pyrosphere aside from inconclusive shadow/translations is that magma/holes are pretty.
Metroid and dk have only one stage revealed so far right? Maybe it's because those stages would give away potential newcomers; like gangplank galleon.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
duck.PNG
I draw cool hardcore space dragons as humans because I'm not confident enough in my drawing ability to draw cool hardcore space dragons...

Last edited:

Malle

Smash Apprentice
So, I haven't actually watched this yet myself, but well, I participated in the discussion so I don't really need to watch it to know what's being said. Here's Wiidude's chat about Ridley featuring both me and his friend R.O.B. and beyond. Its also linking back to this thread, too.

Wow. I am amazed they used my Source, the "Shadow Evidence"
Yay for recognition!

EDIT: Oh right, you were discussing in the video, yay nonetheless!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of the franchises with characters, yes.
I would argue though, that there are some classic franchises that aren't so lucky as to get a character of their own despite how much they've done, such as Puzzle League, the Excite series, the Wars series, etc.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Are... Are you sure it's not too big?
I think the only problem here wouldn't be size, but weight, Phaazoid you're a human sized metal robot, you alone would seem hard to carry, that and considering how about a quarter of this fanbase has gallons of splounge water, which I've heard is quite heavy

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I would argue though, that there are some classic franchises that aren't so lucky as to get a character of their own despite how much they've done, such as Puzzle League, the Excite series, the Wars series, etc.
Custom Robo/Golden Sun :(

I think the only problem here wouldn't be size, but weight, Phaazoid you're a human sized metal robot, you alone would seem hard to carry, that and considering how about a quarter of this fanbase has gallons of splounge water, which I've heard is quite heavy
Yeah, but if we assume there's an even weight distribution (I mean, you're less than an inch tall, you can't weigh much) among all followers which is similar to a human, then by giving a size, it would imply a weight, because we could assume it would be somewhere near the center of the distribution

alternatively I could have just said the size was referring to the number value of the weight in some unit :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was going along the lines of "big old school franchises" that was the context I was given.
Custom Robo and Golden Sun aren't exactly old school.
ahh. I see the italicized classic now, taking a second look at your post. I think it being italicized actually made me skip the word instead of giving it more emphasis, ironically.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, that's definitely true, and I agree. Lip 4 Smash, plz.

But still, Metroid [and DK] are still pretty lacking in representation despite being big classic series that have been around in Smash since the very beginning.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Custom Robo/Golden Sun :(

Yeah, but if we assume there's an even weight distribution (I mean, you're less than an inch tall, you can't weigh much) among all followers which is similar to a human, then by giving a size, it would imply a weight, because we could assume it would be somewhere near the center of the distribution

alternatively I could have just said the size was referring to the number value of the weight in some unit :p
I dunno, your Mega Charizard X might throw it off a little...

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Hey man, I've been on this site since 09, if you want to blame anyone, blame the other guy. :awesome:
Regarding my username, just so y'all know, I literally just figuratively "pulled it out of my аss," so our similar names are a case of sheer coincidence, believe it or not.

Also I have no idea where this thread went, topic-wise, haha.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
No, they contradict each other.

Either way, Ridley.
I used "literally" in a way that is synonymous with "actually," so it literally does work.

Oh yeah Ridley, that guy. He's literally too big. But they could literally make him work if they wanted to.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I used "literally" in a way that is synonymous with "actually," so it literally does work.

Oh yeah Ridley, that guy. He's literally too big. But they could literally make him work if they wanted to.
It's still pretty redundant.

Anyway, we were discussing Ridley with you, not grammar.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
They probably translate badly into characters and movesets, and are therefore better suited for Assist Trophies.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Soooo since we did see a glimpse of Ridley's tail and shadow, what does this mean? If he is playable, this will mark the first time we see part of a newcomer's bod before their official reveal.

NatP

Smash Ace
Soooo since we did see a glimpse of Ridley's tail and shadow, what does this mean? If he is playable, this will mark the first time we see part of a newcomer's bod before their official reveal.
Well technically, we saw Palutena's whole model in statue form before she was actually revealed.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well technically, we saw Palutena's whole model in statue form before she was actually revealed.
Ehhh that's kinda pushing it, I don't know if I'd even call it "technically." It was Pseudo-Palutena and like you said, a trophy. We never saw her in-game model in the game prior to her reveal.

There was little doubt in my mind that she was going to be playable after seeing that, though. Showing a model of an alternate version of a highly requested character is quite the tease.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's sorta the only source of "doubt" of Ridley's deconfirmation.

And when I say doubt, its lie 0.0001% doubt.

NatP

Smash Ace
Ehhh that's kinda pushing it, I don't know if I'd even call it "technically." It was Pseudo-Palutena and like you said, a trophy. We never saw her in-game model in the game prior to her reveal.
Nooo, I didn't mean Pseudo-Palutena, I meant her STATUE in the Palutena's temple stage. That's her in-game model in statue form.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Nooo, I didn't mean Pseudo-Palutena, I meant her STATUE in the Palutena's temple stage. That's her in-game model in statue form.
Ohhhhhh yeah, right, I forgot. I see. Yeah I guess that constitutes technically seeing her model in the game. But we still didn't see her actual animated character model.

So if Ridley's playable, it's still a first. After all, Sakurai never gave us a glimpse of Diddy Kong's booty in early screenshots prior to revealing him, for example.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
But we still didn't see her actual animated character model.
That's definitely true. But then I could argue that we only really saw the tip of Ridley's tail, and only for a fraction of a second too. It's not like we've seen his entire model or anything. Hell, no one even knows for sure what he'll actually look like.

Top Bottom