• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Well, that sounds funny. Was there made a hack of his normal FS, but with removed Blue Falcon, so, he would just drive in the air?

i believe there is, but there is one where hes in a position where he got shot out of a canon and is charging right at you, as well as surfing on a surfboard

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Look guys, I think we can all agree that Metroid needs more mainstay characters, particularly badass humanoids.
No one here agrees that we need them before Ridley, then Dark Samus. Those 2 are more bada$$ than all of the hunters combined (except for Samus because she killed both of them).
i believe there is, but there is one where hes in a position where he got shot out of a canon and is charging right at you, as well as surfing on a surfboard
Sounds awesome enough for Cptn Falcon.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Can't we all just get along and not try to insult each other?

Well, Lars, I'm fairly certain in Mario, Bowser towers over the fat Italian plumber like Godzilla towers over the average building. Seems just fine. I'm fairly certain in older Kirby games, Dedede was much bigger than Kirby. Seems just fine.

Just because a character would look weird being around the same size as another smaller character doesn't mean they won't ever be in. We have to remember this is Smash Bros, a game that constantly takes a dump on the canon and absolute madness and chaos ensues, like some kind of Old God's mad dream. I'm not saying Ridley is a lock or anything, but being only 20-30% bigger than Samus is not going to explode any worlds.

In addition, cannonically, Ridley's size fluctuates more than dwarves drink ale, so I don't think it's a huge concern.

Look guys, I think we can all agree that Metroid needs more mainstay characters, particularly badass humanoids (that aren't variations of Samus).
I don't really care for humanoids, but Metroid could use more important characters. I'd actually like if Trace came back, as he was my personal favorite hunter, as well as having a rather inhuman design.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Idk if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I noticed that there was a lot of question over whether Lucina was a clone with her own slot or a character swap sharing a slot with Marth, and that was quickly clarified by Sakurai. Ridley's appearance is an even larger debate, yet Sakurai has never clarified. It appears that he wants us to believe Ridley is a boss, but if he were a boss, I think we also would have recieved quick clarification as we saw with Lucina.

Dat vagueness doe.
(I'm completely convinced he's playable if that wasn't clear)

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Just generally, it's ridiculous to believe that Ridley won't one day be in Smash. Even if SSB4 isn't his time, he's a Nintendo All-Star and if you don't believe he is, quite frankly, you're wrong.

There's no way he won't make it into Smash one day. Sakurai knows we want Ridley.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
No one here agrees that we need them before Ridley, then Dark Samus. Those 2 are more bada$$ than all of the hunters combined (except for Samus because she killed both of them).
I don't understand this apparent hate for the Hunters. Sure the single player game sucked, but the multiplayer? Now that's a different story. Plus the character designs were slick.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I don't understand this apparent hate for the Hunters. Sure the single player game sucked, but the multiplayer? Now that's a different story. Plus the character designs were slick.
I actually loved Hunter's multiplayer, and would be in favor of them returning. However, to say they are more likely over Ridley is to say that Kremling #4 is more likely than King K. Rool.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
I actually loved Hunter's multiplayer, and would be in favor of them returning. However, to say they are more likely over Ridley is to say that Kremling #4 is more likely than King K. Rool.
Of course they aren't going to make significant appearances in Smash, that's a given.

Whether or not Ridley is ever a playable character, I really don't care, but it will never change the fact that it's hell-a-stupid for Ridley to be made mini when a significant aspect of his character is the fact he's an enormous imposing alien monster. Yeah that enormity may fluctuate from game to game, but it's still enormous.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, controls are not really good according to what i`ve heard and those hunters were just completly unimportant and just here. I never played that game and i doubt i will ever be able to play multiplayer, but i at least know about the plot and those hunters were not important. In Metroid Prime 3, they were a little bit more important, but not important enough to be even close to Ridley or Dark Samus. They also were not very interesting with maybe 2 exceptions (Sylix - and personally i don`t agree with that - and Rundas). So, they won`t be playable in SSB until they will become a lot more important. And that will happen only after Ridley and Dark Samus will be playable because those 2 are a lot more important, have better design and a better theme in Ridley`s case.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't hate the hunters, but they just aren't relevant. They only appeared in a single spinoff game 10 years ago. that doesn't spell ever showing up again. We have mother brain, metroid, and dark samus assist trophies, and Ridley is either a boss or playable.

I'd be surprised if we even got trophies for the hunters, honestly. I'm not saying this out of dislike for the characters, I think a few of them are pretty cool. I just don't see it happening.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Eh, you've got a point here. But I don't feel that any of the Hunters were really memorable in any way. I mean, I can't deny that they were all awesome in their designs, but they're not enough to represent the series.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
There is only one Hunter I could see as a Metroid rep, my reason and who is in the spoiler tag.
The only hunter I could see getting in as the extra metroid rep (over Ridley if he turns out for some reason to be a boss/stage hazard) is Sylux and that is only if One, he is confirmed to the one at the end of Corruption following Samus and Two if they announce a new Metroid game where he plays a big/bigger role to where he has more relevance as a whole in the Metroid Universe.

@Reality_Ciak Thanks!

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Metroid Prime Hunters would be the worst Metroid game if Other M wasn't a thing. The second last thing I want is a character from that game in Smash (the first would be Adam Malkovich in Smash). I don't care if the multiplayer was good, Metroid is not a series defined by the quality of multiplayer, but of its single player content and it was AWFUL in Prime Hunters.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
How do I put a spoiler tab thing? I'm just going to put it on as an Edit on this post, and make it Ridley/current topic related too.
[ spoiler ] say your stuff here, Ridley rules [ / spoiler ] without the spaces

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Metroid Prime Hunters would be the worst Metroid game if Other M wasn't a thing. The second last thing I want is a character from that game in Smash (the first would be Adam Malkovich in Smash). I don't care if the multiplayer was good, Metroid is not a series defined by the quality of multiplayer, but of its single player content and it was AWFUL in Prime Hunters.
I would love some more online multiplayer action in a console Metroid game.

Metroid Prime 2 had local multiplayer battles, I remember having fun with that.

I'm pretty sure Other M was trying to explore Samus' inner dilemma with the idea of/inability of having a child... as gracelessly as it was executed. Hm, yeah, I don't think Samus should ever have a kid.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

It's annoying for me to read people saying Ghirahim is a shoe in over options such as a new/reworked Ganon, Pig Ganon, Impa, Fi or Vaati.
Vaati! Please! I could care less about Girahim, give us Vaati. No really, Vaati = favorite Zelda villain :)

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Of course they aren't going to make significant appearances in Smash, that's a given.

Whether or not Ridley is ever a playable character, I really don't care, but it will never change the fact that it's hell-a-stupid for Ridley to be made mini when a significant aspect of his character is the fact he's an enormous imposing alien monster. Yeah that enormity may fluctuate from game to game, but it's still enormous.
Ridley is actually one of the smallest bosses in metroid, his character is being a cruel, sadistic space dragon that never dies, being a character would be better for him as playable characters never dies no matter how many times you punch, kick, shoot, etc

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
, Metroid is not a series defined by the quality of multiplayer, but of its single player content
While I completely agree with this statement, I still hope they experiment with multiplayer in Metroid's future. The functionality of it was decent in prime 2, and it was actually fleshed out fairly well in hunters. I wouldn't want them to sacrifice any part of the single player mode for it, but I also feel it would be a shame to not explore that direction.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ridley is actually one of the smallest bosses in metroid, his character is being a cruel, sadistic space dragon that never dies, being a character would be better for him as playable characters never dies no matter how many times you punch, kick, shoot, etc
Pretty much this. If I recall correctly, it wasn't size that Sakurai was worried about, it was Ridley's speed.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Uh.. if Ridley is one of the smallest bosses in Metroid, don't you think that goes to show the importance of size here?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
No one here agrees that we need them before Ridley, then Dark Samus.
Ridley, obviously. I really don't want Model Clones (characters that look similar under the effects of a metal box) in the form of Dark Samus. I really don't want Dark Samus in Smash as anything other than an AT.

Those 2 are more bada$$ than all of the hunters combined (except for Samus because she killed both of them).

In terms of design, hell no. The prime hunters are the most bad***ly (?) designed Metroid characters imo. But I'm biased as prime hunters is what got me into the rest of the Metroid series. So I'm in love with the Prime hunters as it is.

One of my people...

I loved the multiplayer aspects with my friends. And I agree, the character designs were amazing.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

I disagree. Size is a part of the character for Kraid, but not Ridley. If size was a factor for Ridley, he wouldn't be hunched over all the time and would be stood up in order to make himself taller, and alongside that he wouldn't change size so much in games. In Super Metroid he wasn't very much bigger than Samus. Plus, even if size is important to the character enough where he has to be very big, he can literally just do what he always does anyway and hunch over forwards with his wings in the foreground and background.

Other than that, regarding the Hunters... I think they have about as much chance as the Other M squad. Sylux might have potential, but only for the next game, because as of now he's not solidly in any game but Hunters. If another "Hunter"-esque character was going to get in, it would have been Dark Samus. Without Dark Samus, it's Ridley or bust for Metroid. The next Hunter I see in-line is Rundas due to popularity, and even he has no chance of being considered above Dark Samus because he's a oneshot, like pretty much everyone else.

I agree with the sentiment that Metroid could have some other really good characters (humanoid, too) eventually, but after what Other M was, I'd say they likely need to go back to Samus traversing alien worlds alone against Space Pirates for a bit. Other than that, I'd be totally fine with more recurring characters. Maybe even Anthony, but... I'd like to see him get a bit more independence with his character design if they do. A regular GF uniform isn't very enthralling.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Look guys, I think we can all agree that Metroid needs more mainstay characters, particularly badass humanoids (that aren't variations of Samus).
You know, I actually agree with this sentiment. One of the things that kinda pissed me off in Metroid Prime 3 was that they introduced several interesting new characters in the beginning of the game, who were allies for once. Only to have them all get turned evil and killed one by one....

I think Ridley needs representation first. But I think Metroid could use some other cool characters that pop up every once in awhile.

Uh.. if Ridley is one of the smallest bosses in Metroid, don't you think that goes to show the importance of size here?
I think the point he's trying to make is, in the metroid games, other bosses are scary for their huge size. Ridley is smaller than the other bosses, and scary for other reasons (speed, range, ect)

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Nope, Ridley is way more intimidating that Kraid, Omega Pirate, etc who are way bigger than him, Why is he so intimidating? Because he fights like a beast, making Ridley smaller won't kill his character, they would kill his if he is a pacifist and kind hearted dragon, but not even Captain N was able to do this, also Ridley is way smaller in this game either way, if Ridley is a boss that would mean he is a little pinata that is extremely slow

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
I agree with the sentiment that Metroid could have some other really good characters (humanoid, too) eventually, but after what Other M was, I'd say they likely need to go back to Samus traversing alien worlds alone against Space Pirates for a bit. Other than that, I'd be totally fine with more recurring characters. Maybe even Anthony, but... I'd like to see him get a bit more independence with his character design if they do. A regular GF uniform isn't very enthralling.
Samus definitely can't be taking orders from other characters, that was gross. Rivals and allies are the way to go, definitely.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I dunno about you, but Ridley's pretty humanoid to me, especially his Other M incarnation.

image.jpg

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Ridley is hinted to be a small boss= Ridley is completely deconfirmed, it doesn't matter if he is getting special treatment and is small, he is confirmed to be a boss, his fans are in denial
Rayman is explicity shown to be a trophy= Rayman is very likely to get at least a DLC
Don't you love the logic of the people?

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Samus definitely can't be taking orders from other characters, that was gross. Rivals and allies are the way to go, definitely.
I couldn't agree more, Adam is someone they butchered in Other M by accidentally making him hate-able like that.

I'd be game for some more Bounty Hunters that don't die. Maybe even Rundas, with games taking place canonically before Prime 3? I'd see Rundas having a much higher shot if they were to do that, death in Prime 3 or not.

I'd also like to see more Sylux, actually. His hatred of the GF could lead to some fun plot.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Ridley is hinted to be a small boss= Ridley is completely deconfirmed, it doesn't matter if he is getting special treatment and is small, he is confirmed to be a boss, his fans are in denial
Rayman is explicity shown to be a trophy= Rayman is very likely to get at least a DLC
Don't you love the logic of the people logic?
Logic is a rigorous methodology which starts with (classical) the law of identity, the law of non-contradiction and the law of the excluded middle.

This has nothing to do with logic on either side.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Warning Received
I hear that the upcoming 2D and 3D Metroid games will be part of a reboot package a la Sonic Boom.

Samus, Anthony, Adam, and Old Bird featuring in their own co-op games for the first time, as well as starring in an animated kids show.

Hope the new character designs make their way on the Internet soon.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Replying to spam/one word post
I hear that the upcoming 2D and 3D Metroid games will be part of a reboot package a la Sonic Boom.

Samus, Anthony, Adam, and Old Bird featuring in their own co-op games for the first time, as well as starring in an animated kids show.

Hope the new character designs make their way on the Internet soon.
Genius.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Don't you love the logic of the people?
At the beginning of this post I thought this was a troll. Then I finished it.

Yes, I do love the logic of people. Honestly, without Ubisoft's permission, Rayman couldn't be DLC. Ridley at least stands a chance for DLC if he isn't in the main game.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I saw a post that said Corocoro next month is supposed to release all the 3DS stages and characters? I searched this really quick and found this article... http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...-revealed-on-august-12th-on-monthly-corocoro/
...so would this then be the ultimate confirmation of everything character-related?
Probably not everything. Mario Kart 8's roster being all revealed early makes it a possibility, though.

It just occurred to me that if they announce Ridley, this year'll be the year of things being announced that people mock the fans of! Namely, Ruby and Sapphire remake fans and Ridley fans.

Top Bottom