• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
But I think Sakurai knows we wanted Ridley, showing Ridley not directly and not saying his name was his kind and subtle way of disconfirming him, feeling kinda sorry for us.
If that's really the case, then it wasn't kind at all. He should've just outright shown Ridley as unplayable instead of just a shadow and saying nothing else on the matter leaving things still unanswered.

Like others have said, he didn't rip the band-aid off so the pain was quick and short, but instead lightly pulled half of the bandage leaving us to decide if we want to leave it on or not.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
ok guys ...... I have no words to describe our feeling right now .......
but I still believe !

Ridley can be playble because :
1 -Masahiro is a troll and he trolled us a lot in that direct (for example ZSS and Palutena's trophy)
2 -Why didn't he show Ridley himself if he's a boss ?
3 -the shadow looks quite small to me
4 -if that was a boss then it's Ridley's clone so we could get the original as we all wanted
5 -with Dark Samus the Metroid series has 3 assist trophies ... too many for a series which has only 1 playable character

If I'm wrong and he's a boss then .... these are the things that could make us better :
1 -nobody else will be a newcomer in the Metroid series because the 2 main possible characters after Ridley are assist tophies (MB & DS)
2 -we were right about one thing ... he is NOT a stage hazard but a boss

Staarih

Smash Master
Something about this is iffy. I find it odd how Ridley hasn't been outright shown to us if he indeed is "just a stage boss". We've known about the Yellow Devil for a long time, and by the looks of it, the Dark Emperor or whatever on the Find Mii stage appears to be some sort of boss as well, and it was shown just like that. We've also seen the Pyrosphere many many times now with no sign of Ridley. Could it really be that Sakurai is carefully taking steps into showing Ridley as a stage boss to make it easier for us? Or is there something else going on... weird.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai is now working with Namco who has dappled in fighting games.

Now there is a chance that Namco might have had ideas about traditional fighting games' methods of unlocking characters. In traditional fighters, one can typically unlock the boss. Ridley might be unlockable this way.

There is also a Mii in a cage. Maybe beating that Green Monster unlocks Mii as a character.

While I would write off Ridley as a character, Sakurai may have a surprise.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm not much of a Ridley supporter. I'm not against his inclusion, but I've never been frothing at the mouth for him as the majority of his supporters seem to be. The impression I get from most fans, that Ridley is the most important character yet to be playable in Smash and any arguments against him are stupid and wrong, leaves something of a bad taste in my mouth.

That said, I walked away from yesterday's Direct assuming that the Ridley tease was a nail in his coffin. If we take the segment at face value, I think a reasonable person would conclude that Ridley is a stage boss hazard for that stage. The context is not unclear.

However, after reading through all of the posts on this thread since then, I'm not so quick to rule him out completely. I still feel that the segment means exactly what it implies. I don't think that the fact they only showed a shadow is reason enough to doubt it. However, when taken against all of the other characters who have been 100% confirmed to be unplayable, it DOES seem a little odd. Which leads me to the question...HAS the development team mentioned Ridley's name at all in any context?

Bottom line, do I think Ridley will be playable? Not really. Do I think his chances are gone completely? ...not necessarily. Still, I think taking the Direct segment and analyzing and interpreting it to the point where your conclusion is, "Ridley is definitely playable," is a little misguided and more likely to disappoint than anything else.

D

Deleted member

Guys.

Ridley making his entrance by destroying his Other M clone/robotic replica on Pyrosphere, along with Mewtwo and Pac-Man reveals => E3 of the century.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman

It appears to be normal Ridley and probably not Meta-Ridley.

Meta-Ridley as far as I know (not super into Metroid) seems to always have "energy" wings.

Whereas the wings here look like his normal fleshy wings.

Where the purple has gone Idunno. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Though the situation may look bleak, it never hurt to have hope. Nobody's saying he's guaranteed to be playable, but the overall lack-there-of of anything direct in information and/or representation isn't normal, it's quite clear and is definitely not unlike anything Sakurai has done before. Keep hope and keep happy,

Typs

Smash Cadet
I...I'm just...
I know there's still some hope, but...
Man, that just hurts!

Last edited:

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
Whatever it is, it looks hella ugly. I posted this in the rumour thread but the movement of the shadow seems so off. I know it's all still in development but I wouldn't be surprised if he was to turn up as playable. I'm not even a Ridley supporter so I don't feel I'm in doubt, but compared to how Yellow Devil was presented, the Ridley shadow seems to messy to be a fixed stage element.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Not showing Ridley directly could mean anything from design issue to just doing it for dramatic effect and deciding simply not showing the character. Could it be that's their hiding something, prehaps, but it will have to wait for something more concrete then speculation now that there is evidence against it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ridley's a stage hazard/boss like Yellow Devil.

We have Charizard anyway, it's better this way guys.

Plus you got a new Metroid rep, grats! :D It now has 2 reps.

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
If that's really the case, then it wasn't kind at all. He should've just outright shown Ridley as unplayable instead of just a shadow and saying nothing else on the matter leaving things still unanswered.

Like others have said, he didn't rip the band-aid off so the pain was quick and short, but instead lightly pulled half of the bandage leaving us to decide if we want to leave it on or not.
I see what you mean, of course it wasn't very kind.

But with all of the hype that was rushing through our hearts, fully showing Ridley all of sudden could have a shock. What he did was still one of the nicest way he could have done it.
At least what he did gave our brains a little time to think and conclude by ourselves.

Think about it, if a whole part of the direct was just about Ridley and how much of a Pyrosphere hazard he is, how would you feel? I would've felt TERRIBLE for the whole duration.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
ok guys ...... I have no words to describe our feeling right now .......
but I still believe !

Ridley can be playble because :
1 -Masahiro is a troll and he trolled us a lot in that direct (for example ZSS and Palutena's trophy)
2 -Why didn't he show Ridley himself if he's a boss ?
3 -the shadow looks quite small to me
4 -if that was a boss then it's Ridley's clone so we could get the original as we all wanted
5 -with Dark Samus the Metroid series has 3 assist trophies ... too many for a series which has only 1 playable character

If I'm wrong and he's a boss then .... these are the things that could make us better :
1 -nobody else will be a newcomer in the Metroid series because the 2 main possible characters after Ridley are assist tophies (MB & DS)
2 -we were right about one thing ... he is NOT a stage hazard but a boss
2 playable characters, Zero Suit is officially her own character now.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
People keep saying that this is a nice way to let people know the bad news, but I really have to wonder what definition of "nice" they're using.

Also, implying that Sakurai is capable of sympathy. So after all the teasings of the Pyrosphere and tunnels created by Ridley and dismissal of size issues, Sakurai might have felt that teasing Ridley yet again is him having a change of heart?

At least with Waluigi, Sakurai never addressed him by implication and delivered the bad news rather painlessly.

Teasing us with a shadow isn't "kinder". It's cruel and sadistic.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I mentioned this in the official character discussion, but honestly the only thing that bothers me about Ridley being a Stage Boss is that it will feed Shokio's ego.
The concept itself is really awesome, and I'm personally happy with Ridley being apart of the battlefield through these means. It's just that he's gonna relish in this and say we were "exposed" or something (which is just such a stupid term ugh).

So my heart is with you true Ridley supporters, fight till the very end until Sakurai says the words "Ridley is not a playable character".
Only then the beacon of hope can be destroyed (But it would be pretty great to see the real Ridley rip Clone Ridley to shreds).

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
All that's left is for Sakurai to say

"Ridley is simply too big to be a fighter, but he makes for a fearsome boss!"

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It's just that he's gonna relish in this and say we were "exposed" or something (which is just such a stupid term ugh).
Welcome to my inbox, filled to the brim with 38 different messages featuring said horrible terminology, And that's just this morning! No seriously, they treat me like I'm the freaking anti-christ.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Welcome to my inbox, filled to the brim with 38 different messages featuring said horrible terminology, And that's just this morning! No seriously, they treat me like I'm the freaking anti-christ.
I do not envy your situation.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Maybe we could controll bosses using the gamepad.
Not the best way to implement the character but is an start.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley was teased once. On what planet is teasing him again ambiguously and allowing for there to be hope is "nice"? I mean you tell me: Which is "Nicer"?

A: Someone says they might get you a cake. They then get a cake but don't give it to you. They bring it home and say they might give it to someone else instead. You feel sad because you really wanted cake, but they then deliberately just leave the cake in your house on your counter and give no indication as to what they're actually doing with it.

B: Someone tells you they are not getting you a cake.

Yanking people around isn't an "easy way of letting people down". It's ACTUALLY malicious and would be the most unpleasant character deconfirmation in the series. Not even because it's Ridley, but because it is nothing more than getting peoples' hopes up with hints and ambiguity only to smash everything down repeatedly before picking them up again. If Sakurai wanted to get across that Ridley was not playable, we would have seen him. We would have gotten ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL that Ridley is actually not playable other than Sakurai saying "boss characters can appear on other stages as well" followed by a character who is a boss in 90% of his appearances being not seen and acting extremely strangely for an AI-controlled boss.

EDIT: Also yeah, we basically wait for E3 and hope something actually gets clarified at all. I hardly even care which way it goes. The lasting ambiguity is just getting old.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion

It appears to be normal Ridley and probably not Meta-Ridley.

Meta-Ridley as far as I know (not super into Metroid) seems to always have "energy" wings.

Whereas the wings here look like his normal fleshy wings.

Where the purple has gone Idunno. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Why do so many people think that's part of his wings... It's his tail. The end of Other M Ridley's tail. Guess we're going to have to make a post like this once a page so people notice.
othermroidleytail.png

(Note the model here had cleaned up textures by the person who ripped it; the color is yellow in Other M, like in the Smash video.)

EDIT: Also yeah, we basically wait for E3 and hope something actually gets clarified at all. I hardly even care which way it goes. The lasting ambiguity is just getting old.
I'm getting tired of being yanked around like I'm on a damned leash, so agreed. Then again, it's also my fault for getting my hopes up and taking out of context the old Pryosphere quote that said exactly what it meant. Probably didn't have any model or animations ready to show him off, compared to something like Yellow Devil.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Soooooo, what now?
Might as well wait until E3. I can't say for sure who's going to be shown or anything. But if this was all just one huge build up for Ridley(and to a lesser extend Palutena), it should pay off. If not, better luck next time I guess. It's not the end of the world.

It does seem a little strange that a crapton of characters get deconfirmed in this Direct, yet Ridley was just teased some more. It seems like it'd be better off to just show him as a hazard or something from the get-go. That's one of my reasons for seeing Ridley still having a chance. Was it as good as before? Can't really say. Though I'm sure a lot of people might say I'm being too hopeful.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seriously doubt Ridley is just "unfinished". If he was so unfinished that they couldn't show him in a direct, why would they show his moving shadow and him interacting with other characters as well as his tail if he was just so cripplingly unfinished that they could never hope to show video footage of him? It's kind of a weak explanation for things.

Also being hopeful in the face of ambiguity is never too hopeful. I'm going in all the way and I'm more than prepared to deal with the very real possibility of disappointment. But I'm also sure that Ridley still has a chance.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hopefully this cheers you and the rest of this thread up a bit. It'll give you guys something to do while biding your time until Ridley's reveal one way or the other, in any case.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
In the light of what can only be considered a character deconfirmation massacre, it is in fact noteworthy that Ridley got through with only a shadow while literally every other unplayable character was automatically labeled by name and shown front and center with no trickery.

The whole scenario is just suspicious. But, I'm sure by E3 we will know for certain if this was indeed all part of Sakurai's grand master plan of trollery.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
RevivedRidley.jpg

I thought I'd show this, as this was a design for Ridley I was working on a couple of weeks ago that never finished. It's more of a thought of a "What if Ridley somehow survived the events of Super Metroid?" Basically, carted off by space pirates and having to have many parts of his body, especially his lower jaw and throat after being bombarded by missiles, with cybernetic machinery. Also suffering hefty chest damage, he now has a protective casing over his chest, able to reject charge shots and missiles but only weak to Super Missiles and Power Bombs. It's a work in progress. :p

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I seriously doubt Ridley is just "unfinished". If he was so unfinished that they couldn't show him in a direct, why would they show his moving shadow and him interacting with other characters as well as his tail if he was just so cripplingly unfinished that they could never hope to show video footage of him? It's kind of a weak explanation for things.

Also being hopeful in the face of ambiguity is never too hopeful. I'm going in all the way and I'm more than prepared to deal with the very real possibility of disappointment. But I'm also sure that Ridley still has a chance.
So it seems that you, me, and everyone else that has liked or likes this post has not given up on Ridley yet.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
So I read some theories on the posts here and I went back to watch the video. Here is how I see it.

1. There are no platforms on the stage where Ridley's shadow is shown, which sort of means it must be the Final Destination version (which has no hazards correct? Still items and so on)
2. What we dont see, might be Ridley's Final Smash, which as an idea could keep him up in the air to do some sort of iconic move like the wall-grind shown first in the Brawl Cutscene (granted there is a wall etc, at least grapple)
3. The size of the shadow could also be the fact how the light reflects it, it might not really be correct to his size. If you think about it, isn't the angle very weird and zoomed up, even Pikachu is quite large in those few seconds.

And again as many stated, there is something suspicious going on.

EDIT:
4. Ridley flies away but then he moves back again in the very last second of the clip, going back towards the center of the stage.. Why..?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley's size isn't even all that large, considering his wings are out and he doesn't seem to be much larger than Bowser. But of course that is simply comparing his shadow to Bowser's general...fortitude.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Assuming what we actually saw was ridleys character model, how do you guys feel about him hovering above the ground at all times rather than walking?

Top Bottom