• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Honestly I think Sakurai just doesn't understand us. He thinks we'll just be happy to see Ridley there. That hyping him up for a stage hazard will please us. It won't. It doesn't.
Well, he can't please everybody. Can you imagine the kind of pressure he gets on deciding who deserves to be in? Not saying that Ridley doesn't deserve it because he does, but putting him in is kind of sketchy design-wise.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

This Ridley mod could work.....All we saw in the Direct was Ridley's Shadow and even I am aware that the shadow belong to Other M Ridley.

This could give the Original Ridley a fighting chance.
It is also possible to have the Original Ridley and the Clone Ridley fighting each other.

Hm...Original VS Clone...Where have I heard this before?

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I can't believe we're torturing ourselves by trying to figure out the status of a single fictional character in a video game and guy causing all of this commotion is all like

"Yes, I'm still alive." - Masahiro Sakurai

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can't believe we're torturing ourselves by trying to figure out the status of a single fictional character in a video game and the guy causing all of this commotion is all like

"Yes, I'm still alive." - Masahiro Sakurai
I could watch that GIF all day.

I wonder if he knows what he did.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I don't care if Ridley gets in or not, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet. What with the way Sakurai is a troll and all, I just can't imagine he'd deconfirm a popular character the way he did if he truly weren't playable. It wouldn't surprise me if you unlocked Ridley by defeating him on Pyrosphere as Samus.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
HEY! It is not over until I see text or her verbal confirmation or even a goddamned picture showing he is clearly a boss! And you shouldn't either! Sure, it seems convincing, but the man is a ****ing troll! This could mean anything! Sure, brace yourself for the worst, but don't accept ANYTHING yet, not until there is confirmation from the man himself our beloved Ridley is deconfirmed! Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna cry over Saki, Samurai Goroh, and Devil's actual graves, not some shallow, half-***** grave dug by the creator of Kirby's Pinball!
Jesus, 11 likes? What am I, Bkuppa?:troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I kind of worked it out.

This is a rough approximation of where the shadow is, with an estimation of Bowser on the left. A little got cropped off on the right side, and Bowser is obviously going to be smaller due to perspective. But not much.

The blobs are kind of too close for a boss at all. Like, maybe it's just me, but I am pretty sure if Ridley was a boss, there would be absolutely no mistaking it when comparing his size to other characters. And I mean if anything, his shadow would probably be larger because of his wings. So I have to wonder.
I know you're probably sick of me from last night. But I have to point this out:
Ridley wingspan.png
His wingspan goes across a little bit more than half the stage, not the small blob you recreated. He's much bigger.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I think we're seeing a pattern now, the more Sakurai trolls around with a character, the more likely he is to surprise us by saying they are a fighter. For example Toon Link, who does appear on his stage but is replaced by Alfonzo if he's playing on it. He said in one daily pic that "an enemy from Samus' past" would appear on the Pyrosphere stage. In the Nintendo Direct we only saw his shadow. If Ridley was just a stage hazard, I don't think he'd be beating around the bush. As soon as he introduced Waluigi he made sure it was known that Waluigi was an assist trophy, and didn't troll around at all. Same thing happened with Skull Kid and Ashley.

Ridley would have to be the stage hazard as well. However, if playable Ridley is playing on that stage, the stage hazard would be replaced by Meta Ridley. The playable Ridley would have to be much smaller than the stage hazard Ridley, though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think we're seeing a pattern now, the more Sakurai trolls around with a character, the more likely he is to surprise us by saying they are a fighter. For example Toon Link, who does appear on his stage but is replaced by Alfonzo if he's playing on it. He said in one daily pic that "an enemy from Samus' past" would appear on the Pyrosphere stage. In the Nintendo Direct we only saw his shadow. If Ridley was just a stage hazard, I don't think he'd be beating around the bush. As soon as he introduced Waluigi he made sure it was known that Waluigi was an assist trophy, and didn't troll around at all. Same thing happened with Skull Kid and Ashley.

Ridley would have to be the stage hazard as well. However, if playable Ridley is playing on that stage, the stage hazard would be replaced by Meta Ridley. The playable Ridley would have to be much smaller than the stage hazard Ridley, though.
My thoughts exactly on the subject. Though I am considering the notion that Meta Ridley is in fact the playable one, due to his potential uniqueness (he is a cyborg!) and the fact that his design could easily be altered to fit into the game.

Regardless, I am confident Sakurai is hiding something. Something big.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I couldn't care less for Ridley, really. I've never visited this thread before. I don't how he would work. I can't imagine him clapping his hands after losing a match, to begin with.

That being said, the last Directs show that Sakurai knows what the fans are talking about. He knows people are joking about his health. He knows people demanded a better online experience. He knows that competitive players demanded some major adjustements in the gameplay. He knows people wanted Little Mac. Apparently, he knows people want Palutena too. He must know that Ridley is the most requested character in the west. And this is why he is teasing Ridley like crazy.

There's still hope, guys. The time to disconfirm Ridley was yesterday. And he wasn't disconfirmed.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I'm now somewhat depressed, considering that in the past, I did not Ridley to be in the game and now, I want to, only for the developers to once again unleash prejudice upon the purple space dragon, as a stage hazard :(...

That adds up anger, considering that there isn't a good Metroid rep anymore that Nintendo could choose (I love Rundas and I want him as a character in the fourth game, but very little is known about him, not to mention a lack of popularity and while Dark Samus is popular, she is now only an assist trophy).

D

Deleted member

This.

I'm surprised by all this negativity. My immediate reaction was that Ridley is pretty much a lock.

Sakurai trolls, but he's not the type to troll about popular characters. Ridley will only be de-confirmed once he's shown to be only a boss, at this point he's as de-confirmed as Palutena from that random trophy. At least we saw what that trophy was, and it said "Palutena" on it - Palutena de-confirmed right? Either way someone's going to be eating crow by the end of all this, and it's amazing how it's this divisive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Ridley is really close to the camera....you could see his tail really closing in.

I know you're probably sick of me from last night. But I have to point this out:
His wingspan goes across a little bit more than half the stage, not the small blob you recreated. He's much bigger.
Ridley is floating JUST ABOVE THE CAMERA. You could see his tail really close to the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
This.
At least we saw what that trophy was, and it said "Palutena" on it - Palutena de-confirmed right? Either way someone's going to be eating crow by the end of all this, and it's amazing how it's this divisive.
There wasn't even a Palutena trophy... he trolled us with the Pseudo-Palutena thing

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I know, but we didn't even see what Ridley was, only his shadow. And there are a million Ridleys.
The stage hazard is Ridley. But the playable character is also Ridley. If playable Ridley plays on the stage, the stage hazard will be Meta Ridley, but it will be Ridley otherwise.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
What if Ridley had a Mushroom before filming the scene from the last direct to make him look if he were a boss. I think that's something Sakurai would do to troll the fans. Heck, he again showed that he's a big troll with the "Fake Palutena" or Zero Suit Samus' deconfirmation. Off course, yesterday was a bummer. Yep, it's quite unlikely. And my hopes for Ridley have become pretty low. But still, there's a little chance. There was to much cryptic information on this topic the past half year. Even now Sakurai did not simply deconfirm him. I can't imagine that he troll's the ridley fanbase just for trolls sake. I don't believe him to be that tactless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The stage hazard is Ridley. But the playable character is also Ridley. If playable Ridley plays on the stage, the stage hazard will be Meta Ridley, but it will be Ridley otherwise.
Why does it ever need to be Ridley? It can just be Meta Ridley, period. Or it can be the Other M Ridley.

Looking at ZSS, she is totally different from her Other M appearance. This makes me believe Ridley will be a combination of appearances over just the Other M one. On the other hand, the boss form of Ridley can be one of the toobig versions, mostly unedited.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why does it ever need to be Ridley? It can just be Meta Ridley, period. Or it can be the Other M Ridley.

Looking at ZSS, she is totally different from her Other M appearance. This makes me believe Ridley will be a combination of appearances over just the Other M one. On the other hand, the boss form of Ridley can be one of the toobig versions, mostly unedited.
I'm glad someone agrees with me on this.
Playable Ridley = Most definitely an original design

Eskelsen

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Eskelsen
I'm sorry guys. I wanted him alongside you guys. "Please Understand"...

But...listen. Ridley is a great character and I think he should have been playable...but don't think he's going to be playable in a different form. That wouldn't make much sense guys. Don't lie to yourselves. Face the facts.

Don't let the anti-Ridley groups bring you down. You supported a character you guys really liked. That's what Smash Bros is all about. Hope for the best with Ridley as a boss, that he will not be Dyna Blade 2.0, but instead his own character.

Really guys, I know it's difficult, and I don't expect happy replies back to me. But there is so much to look forward to with these games. We get to play it this Summer!

I'm still looking forward to it. Don't let one character bring you down.
Thank you, you are a good man or person.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, if that is indeed a confirmation of a boss hazard Ridley, then that's disappointing. He was really the last likely playable character that I was really interested in, so it's disappointing to see him "miss the bus" once again.

(and no, neither the fact that he's in the game at all nor the 2 new Metroid ATs will make up for no playable Ridley. I didn't want Ridley to be playable to get more representation for Metroid, I wanted Ridley playable so I could play as Ridley).

While I think that the circumstances surrounding that Ridley tease are quite a bit unusual, I don't think we should embarrass ourselves. No need to try and pretend that Ridley is somehow magically a lock now. I feels it's possible he's still playable(since Ridley not being playable would be a huge WTF for me), but there's not enough info to go on.

(and for the love of all that is good, please don't be like that girl pre-Brawl who threatened to kill herself because Lyn was an AT)

samsparta21

Smash Ace
(and for the love of all that is good, please don't be like that girl pre-Brawl who threatened to kill herself because Lyn was an AT)
I've seen people trying to "boycott" SSB4 because Mewtwo isn't in (yet?). I mean come on. Just because one character you like isn't in it doesn't mean it's not a great game.

I have a neutral opinion on Ridley, while he seems to be teasing him too much, suggesting he might be playable, I still wouldn't mind if he wasn't playable.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This may just be wishful thinking, but what if Ridley does an Alfonzo on us...

When Ridley joins the battle, Other M Ridley takes over as the stage hazard.
Other M Ridley: "Leave it to me!"

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've seen people trying to "boycott" SSB4 because Mewtwo isn't in (yet?). I mean come on. Just because one character you like isn't in it doesn't mean it's not a great game.
I disagree with this....somewhat.

I have no qualms with people who decide that they've lost interest in the game because Ridley won't be playable. As consumers, we are under no obligation to purchase or support any given product if we find no reason to do so. And if your primary reason for being interested in Smash 4 is playable Ridley(or whatever character), then I can't blame you for not wanting to get the game.

That said, I think actively boycotting the game is going a bit far.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ridley is really close to the camera....you could see his tail really closing in.

Ridley is floating JUST ABOVE THE CAMERA. You could see his tail really close to the camera.
...and? That doesn't change the fact that's probably rather large given the size of his shadow.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The best thing to come out of the direct in my opinion is that Smash 4 (at least the 3DS version) is going to get a summer release, which in Sakurai speak is September.

So we are pretty much only five months away from knowing the entire roster. Heck, if the release date is in August, then we are only a mere four months away.

Lots of dreams are going to be crushed now. We already have Lyn and Samurai Goroh both confirmed as Assist Trophies.

I think the only "safe" newcomers left to be announced are Mii, Pac-Man, Palutena, and Takamaru. It will be interesting to see how Sakurai confirms newcomers from here on out considering that he only has five months at best to confirm the rest of the roster.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
ONE STOCK IS NOT A LEAD.
IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER.
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE HERE.
But, seriously, I can't wait until he's revealed as a playable character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I
That said, I think actively boycotting the game is going a bit far.
I am going to boycott the version with Stage Hazardley. :troll: (I don't even have a Wii U)

I am just amazed that we are actually closer to knowing Smash 4's entire roster than we thought.

By Summer, Sakurai likely means Q3 2014, which means we should have a specific release date at E3.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
ONE STOCK IS NOT A LEAD.
IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER.
INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE HERE.
But, seriously, I can't wait until he's revealed as a playable character.
This. I'm not even a Ridley fan, but come on people. We know Sakurai too well to believe he would hype us this much and then drop him as a stage hazard.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I'm going with this then I'm just going to stick with hes deconfirmed but not entirely commenced yet

I think this scenario like the episode of psych
(Indiana Shawn and the Temple of the Kinda Crappy, Rusty Old Dagger )

What happen is (ps forgive me if you have not seen the episode) well shawn has a criminal friend name Pierre despereaux in this case ridley

A boat his in blows up everyone concludes he's dead (in this case for us his shadow on the stage and looks big)

But shawn does not buy it (people suspicious about the shadow only shown but not the body)

Everyone is commencing him he's dead move on (people saying sorry guys ridley deconfirmed stop being in denial)

Then evidence comes in that he's dead with a DNA test of the piece of the victim from the explosion (probably a Potd with ridley in it with no newcomer box)

Then almost the whole episode later Pierre turn out to fake his death despite all of the proof for his death
(Sakurai confessing he did that shadow and Potd to troll with us and super metroid ridley is playable and other m is the stage hazard)

(Ps dark samus as a assist trophy is kind of proof that non other m stuff can get in so 2 Ridleys could happen super metroid playable other m for hazard)

That's what I see that could happen but I'm not going to get my hopes up

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Did anybody else see Ridley? His actual body? All I saw was his shadow.
We saw his shadow at the same time Sakurai was talking about possible boss characters. The implication that he's a boss hazard is clearly there, you'd have to be dumb, insane, or in denial to not see it.

Top Bottom