• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
But Prime 3 refers to her as a she.
Really? Don't remember that. Usually I call Dark Samus "it", the same way I call most Pokémon. If the character doesn't have a specific gender, is just easier to call it "it". But if they refer to it as a she in Corruption, then that's okay to me. More shes is always a good thing.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Im really hoping that I get used to it....because you know, i never dared to be in a forum until now....
Don't worry one bit, we're pretty easy-going around here. Most of the rules are about behaving properly anyways, so no worries.

Prime 3 was the best of the three, IMO. It drew me in with it's design. Plus, the fight with Omega Ridley in that game is top tier, from the fight itself to the music. Dat. Music.
Prime 3 was the only game in the trilogy I found to be a sub-par Metroid game in general actually. I don't like the motion controls, but I feel I've ranted enough about that in the past. Besides that I hate how there's beam stacking instead of beam switching, as that's one of the general gimmicks of the Prime games, and I also dislike how there's only 1 extra visor. The game also gives in to its 3 main gimmicks way too much: The ship, Hypermode and the Grapple Swing. I hate getting upgrades like Ship Grapple, Hyper Grapple, Hyper Ball, Ship Missile Expansion, etc, their only function is to advance in otherwise blocked passages, you don't use them in gameplay other than when the game tells you to. I also dislike travelling from planet to planet, makes the zones feel disconnected. Probably one of the biggest bummers was also the Hypermode, it was waaaaay too overpowered, it completely ruined otherwise great battles like Omega Ridley and Rundas who were shot down in so few seconds once the Hypermode was activated. Finally, I feel the items weren't hidden very well, I got 100% on my first run, I think that says quite a lot. Oh, and the final boss was super lame compared to the last two games too.

It's the only game in the trilogy which really has such glaring flaws, and it's a shame since it does the other things well. If they focused less on the game's new gimmicks and instead just built the game like they did the previous two, it'd have been great, but as is it's just mediocre.

All in my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Reila

On the subject of Prime 3's quality, I think it is as good as Metroid Prime. It is one of my favorite titles in the series, easily. If I had to pick the "worst" title in the trilogy, that would be Echoes, but that would be an injustice, because Echoes is amazing.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Don't worry one bit, we're pretty easy-going around here. Most of the rules are about behaving properly anyways, so no worries.

Prime 3 was the only game in the trilogy I found to be a sub-par Metroid game in general actually. I don't like the motion controls, but I feel I've ranted enough about that in the past. Besides that I hate how there's beam stacking instead of beam switching, as that's one of the general gimmicks of the Prime games, and I also dislike how there's only 1 extra visor. The game also gives in to its 3 main gimmicks way too much: The ship, Hypermode and the Grapple Swing. I hate getting upgrades like Ship Grapple, Hyper Grapple, Hyper Ball, Ship Missile Expansion, etc, their only function is to advance in otherwise blocked passages, you don't use them in gameplay other than when the game tells you to. I also dislike travelling from planet to planet, makes the zones feel disconnected. Probably one of the biggest bummers was also the Hypermode, it was waaaaay too overpowered, it completely ruined otherwise great battles like Omega Ridley and Rundas who were shot down in so few seconds once the Hypermode was activated. Finally, I feel the items weren't hidden very well, I got 100% on my first run, I think that says quite a lot. Oh, and the final boss was super lame compared to the last two games too.

It's the only game in the trilogy which really has such glaring flaws, and it's a shame since it does the other things well. If they focused less on the game's new gimmicks and instead just built the game like they did the previous two, it'd have been great, but as is it's just mediocre.

All in my opinion of course.
oh it is ok, about the final boss....i think it would have been way better is you fought (?) with the AU first, and when you destroy it, the planet started shaking and falling down, then you fight Dark Samus with some time limit, that may have caused more stress, but oh well.....I loved all the planets in it, but mainly the Pirate Homeworld, the environment caused tension, but it was yet relaxing, at last in my point of view...I loved the warm colors, the glowing rain...the eternal sunset....and yeah hypermode is OP(?)...Oh, and when i first played prime 3, the next morning i could not move my arms...Rundas' fight was harder for me because my arms hurted, when i beat him i was satisfied, but when the cutscene where he dies impaled by his own ice....i cried, and every time i listened to his theme, tears apeared in my eyes...even my cousins played that on purpose....and I loved all the Ridley fights, i made them longer just to watch Ridley doing his movements and admire the awesome design....

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@APC99 I laughed at the bit about the Tutorial Pigs.

Also, everyone go upvote my link to the Smash Bros. Canon video I posted here...I want to make some Too Bigot heads asplode.
Ow No..........that Video.......messed up.....

Thank you so much....and sorry if a have some gramatical errors....but english is not my first language...im still learning.....
Its cool mine is terrible TOO !

Hey Maybe we can be Friends ! xD

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On the subject of Prime 3's quality, I think it is as good as Metroid Prime. It is one of my favorite titles in the series, easily. If I had to pick the "worst" title in the trilogy, that would be Echoes, but that would be an injustice, because Echoes is amazing.
This guy.

This guy, right here. -sniff- This guy knows what's up.

On that note, I've always preferred Prime to 2D Metroid. I know that's a sin, or whatever, but I appreciate the immersion and depth of Prime. That's why the Trilogy is my second favorite game of all time, right behind Majora's Mask.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Echoes is pretty good as a sequel. Of course it's pretty much impossible to stand up to the first Prime, at least in my opinion, and while it did have some iffy things about it I was still very invested in it. Hated it the first time I played it, but when I recently finished it I got some newfound respect for the game. Still wish the whole Space Pirate thing lead somewhere, they just were there, we never actually got to know if they worked alongside Dark Samus like in Prime 3 or anything like that. The inclusion of Space Pirates just ends up in a loose end when Ridley doesn't show up really.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This guy.

This guy, right here. -sniff- This guy knows what's up.

On that note, I've always preferred Prime to 2D Metroid. I know that's a sin, or whatever, but I appreciate the immersion and depth of Prime. That's why the Trilogy is my second favorite game of all time, right behind Majora's Mask.
Another MM superfan? Nice. :)

I'm young enough to have only started gaming with the N64, so I've sadly hardly touched the (S)NES era of games. I probably should at some point, since I'm denying myself an entire dimension of gaming otherwise.

You can be assured that Metroid and Super Metroid will be at the forefront of my title choices, if/when I get around to setting something up.

I think Echoes is pretty good as a sequel. Of course it's pretty much impossible to stand up to the first Prime, at least in my opinion, and while it did have some iffy things about it I was still very invested in it. Hated it the first time I played it, but when I recently finished it I got some newfound respect for the game.
As a rule, I'm always a fan of dual-world stories and travel, so the Light-Dark mechanic of Echoes was fun in that regard. I do agree that Echoes would be the (slightly) weakest link in a very strong chain.

Last edited:

Reila

I think Echoes is pretty good as a sequel. Of course it's pretty much impossible to stand up to the first Prime, at least in my opinion, and while it did have some iffy things about it I was still very invested in it. Hated it the first time I played it, but when I recently finished it I got some newfound respect for the game. Still wish the whole Space Pirate thing lead somewhere, they just were there, we never actually got to know if they worked alongside Dark Samus like in Prime 3 or anything like that. The inclusion of Space Pirates just ends up in a loose end when Ridley doesn't show up really.
As I said, I think Corruption stand up to the first Prime game just fine.

Echoes, on other hand, doesn't, but the game is still better than 95% of the games out there.
Don't be mad that he has style and yo purple dragon thing don't.

He'll teach you how to be subtle and how to treat a lady.

Anthony Higgs for SSB4.

Reila

Higgs is the best thing about Other M. Adam is the worst. Seriously, **** that guy.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wouldn't exactly call it a sin, they're very different, so it should be understandable for anyone. I do prefer the 2D games though.

Also, a fun thing that I've noticed with Metroid fans is that while it might be someone's favorite franchise (not sure if it's yours though) there's usually always one game ahead of the entire franchise, in your case Majora's Mask, in my case it's Earthbound. Just a little random trivia I suppose.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, I would uh...go ahead and just stick with Zero Mission. The first Metroid was groundbreaking for its time, but is now horribly dated and plagued with horrible level design. You have to remember, back then, Metroid might've been the only game you owned, so they had to make the game as long and labyrinthine as possible to stretch it out. The game expects you to bomb every inch of every room to find the way to proceed through the game, and, honestly, there isn't much reward, because the game isn't really that fun.

If you're going to give any 2-D Metroids a pass, definitely make it the first one, especially since you can get the "experience" from Zero Mission. Now all they need to do is remake Metroid II like Retro talked about doing. :love:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah, I would uh...go ahead and just stick with Zero Mission. The first Metroid was groundbreaking for its time, but is now horribly dated and plagued with horrible level design. You have to remember, back then, Metroid might've been the only game you owned, so they had to make the game as long and labyrinthine as possible to stretch it out. The game expects you to bomb every inch of every room to find the way to proceed through the game, and, honestly, there isn't much reward, because the game isn't really that fun.

If you're going to give any 2-D Metroids a pass, definitely make it the first one, especially since you can get the "experience" from Zero Mission. Now all they need to do is remake Metroid II like Retro talked about doing. :love:
I've seen gameplay footage of the earlier Metroids, so I have a sense of what you're describing. A quick check shows that ZM is a remake of Metroid, so I'll take your advice (again, assuming I ever get my hands on these games).

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Part 2 (-_-)
this phone.................ugh.......soo freaking annoying !!!!!!!!!! Got alot to say but...Ugh...!!! I cant finish....

---------------------------------------------------)

I mean...that Nintend0Ultra guy....he said

''Even Sakurai said Ridley is too BiG''

Sakurai never said that...and he's saying that like its fact...

If anything the first time Playable Ridley was preached to Sakurai he said

''He might have been a litle slow..''

Surely if Ridley's size is blatantly his most negative trait that is holding him back Sakurai would have said it straight up in that Nintendo Power Interview but he didnt...unless he lied to not hurt Ridleys fans Feelings but it would have been better to put the bullet in right there and then be brutally honest if he did feel that way and thus the Ridley fan base would have of course not been so big as it is now because it came frok Sakurai ''The horses mouth''

but he didnt...i doubt Sakurai even thinks his first perception of playable Ridleys is his Size would hold him back.....i doubt Sakurai think like that in a negative way.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wouldn't exactly call it a sin, they're very different, so it should be understandable for anyone. I do prefer the 2D games though.

Also, a fun thing that I've noticed with Metroid fans is that while it might be someone's favorite franchise (not sure if it's yours though) there's usually always one game ahead of the entire franchise, in your case Majora's Mask, in my case it's Earthbound. Just a little random trivia I suppose.
The one game ahead of the entire franchise for me is Metroid Prime 3. That is because it is the only Metroid game I own! :awesome:

Actually I lied, I picked up the trilogy on Black Friday. Can any Metroid fan illuminate the significance of Ridley to the Prime Trilogy. I was thinking about completing the Trilogy so that I am more aware of what Ridley in Smash entails, but I am not sure if Ridley is a prominent character in that Trilogy.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The one game ahead of the entire franchise for me is Metroid Prime 3. That is because it is the only Metroid game I own! :awesome:

Actually I lied, I picked up the trilogy on Black Friday. Can any Metroid fan illuminate the significance of Ridley to the Prime Trilogy. I was thinking about completing the Trilogy so that I am more aware of what Ridley in Smash entails, but I am not sure if Ridley is a prominent character in that Trilogy.
Ridley does have prominent presence in Prime and Prime 3. I forget if he shows up in Prime 2, though I don't think he does.

Be sure to relay your impressions in this thread once you've completed the trilogy. And of course, enjoy the games. ;)

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

I was going to say, play Zero Mission instead. It's far superior.

I have Metroid II, but I haven't really been able to get into it...I wouldn't say no to a remake though.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley does have prominent presence in Prime and Prime 3. I forget if he shows up in Prime 2, though I don't think he does.
He doesn't, but he was planned to. There's concept art of a very cool-looking Dark Ridley in the game.

Very different, very bird-like. I love it.

Last edited:

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
he's not in Prime 2, he was recovering after getting 'sploded by cosmic Chozo Ghosts in the first Prime. he shows up in Prime 3 again twice leading Space Pirate invasions on GF territory

I personally liked Echoes the most out of the Prime Trilogy because Aether is so different than the planets the Chozo once inhabited

edit: for what it's worth I've played and beaten every Metroid game repeatedly

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Be sure to relay your impressions in this thread once you've completed the trilogy. And of course, enjoy the games. ;)
Certainly, all of my insecurities in regards to my perspective on Ridley's chances have been detrimental to my health (Sakurai style). Just kidding, of course, but I feel very hypocritical supporting a character that I know so very little about. I need to read is wiki page or something! :cool:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
He doesn't, but he was planned to. There's concept art of a very cool-looking Dark Ridley in the game.
That's pretty cool. Gonna go find these pictures now. :grin:

Certainly, all of my insecurities in regards to my perspective on Ridley's chances have been detrimental to my health (Sakurai style). Just kidding, of course, but I feel very hypocritical supporting a character that I know so very little about. I need to read is wiki page or something! :cool:
Am I the only one who periodically binges on Wikis for series I know nothing about (games, TV, movies, etc.)? :estatic:

Last edited:

Reila

Regardless of which game each one of us prefer, I think we can all agree that Metroid Prime is one of the most (if not THE most) consistent game trilogies out there. I can't think of many others, besides Metroid Prime and the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy.

Morbi

Scavenger
Regardless of which game each one of us prefer, I think we can all agree that Metroid Prime is one of the most (if not THE most) consistent game trilogies out there. I can't think of many others, besides Metroid Prime and the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy.
I have heard very little antithetical to that sentiment. The only allusions to the Prime trilogy are vastly dominated with positive attributes and how revolutionary the trilogy is. I don't really know why I haven't got around to it. Samus was one of my more prevalent characters in Smash too.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
:3 you all have been so nice to me, that I will show you some of my work......
Good work there, and welcome.
Also, no te preocupes, you will adapt quickly.

My god! PLAY THEM RIGHT NAOH!!!
You are very lucky to have that game and was the most intelligent desicion you ever made, that's the best game compilation ever made!

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh gosh. This guy really got to me good. I finally tried to end the Ridley argument with him, but now he's literral just attacking me. These are the kind of people that compose the ranks of those who don't want Ridley
Flaring Ninetails
Yesterday 9:13 PM
No one can prove ether way because no one has exact evidence to prove saying that their is a hole in the wall doesn't prove anything it could be there for decor. "An enemy from samus's past can appear at any moment" can be INTERPENETRATED in multiple ways like a work of art can. One way is yes a stage hazard another is that u can see Ridley playable in the next smash on this stage. Sakurii has tricked us many time like with Ashley where after awhile he told us after he posted that she was a assist trophy. So until it is confirmed I don't believe any side and toaster stop wasting your time yelling at peoples opinions because it's pointless u can't change it you can only influence it.

TheToasterNinja
Yesterday 9:13 PM
+Flaring Ninetails Other M pyroshere. Ridley flies in through a hole in the wall and attacks players. QUIT REACHING.

yosharioIII
Yesterday 10:35 PM
Wow. He's honestly still going. And repeating all the same stuff he's been saying. I'd ignore him by now, everyone. It's obvious we can't convince him, and I hope it's obvious that he can't convince us of whatever he keeps shouting is "factual". He's just a rude, yell-y troll who habitually +1s his own posts, in my honest opinion. I'm sorry if that's insulting.

TheToasterNinja
Yesterday 10:47 PM
+yosharioIII And the ****** just can't enough of me. Even after I constantly proved you and your circle jerkers wrong to the point were you pulling the "Interpretation" card and the "Opinion" card in a desperate attempt to save face. And still can't refute any facts I have presented to you or your ****** friends. NEXT!

yosharioIII
Yesterday 10:53 PM'
"Interpretation" and "Opinion" aren't cliche "cards" sir, they are actual things that exist. But like I said. You are entitled to your opinion. I've got no reason to save face, I haven't lost it. There's nothing to refute, and the fact that you've begun the habit of shouting "NEXT!" at the end of every post just shows everyone that you're a hungry troll asking for his next serving of pointless attention. I'm sorry again if that was insulting, but I believe that may be what's going on. Good day.
Read more

TheToasterNinja
1:09 AM
+yosharioIII "I have no response because I am buttrusteld. There fore I am once again going to pull the opinion card and the trolling card to to try and save face for my exposed ***." You're always good for a laugh. NEXT!

TheToasterNinja
1:12 AM
+Flaring Ninetails When you ****ing morons constantly pull the opinion card and interpretation card when I prove you idiots wrong time and again Why in the flying **** nuggets should I show you dumb ****s any respect. NEXT!

yosharioIII
1:12 AM
Wow. Okay. Seems you completely disregarded what I said. Entirely. Again. Sir, I'm done. I wish no malicious intent upon you. I just don't believe any argument with you can get anywhere.

TheToasterNinja
1:16 AM
+yosharioIII If you are done quit replying. Quit acting like an abused spouse when I constantly destroy you yet you keep coming back cause you are addicted to the pain.

yosharioIII
1:23 AM
It's more complex in situations with this form of communication, of course you want me to come back, that's what you enjoy. I comeback to get some form of justice out of rectifying your rudeness... Or something. But it seems that won't anyone anywhere. Regardless, I'm going to quit replying now, and I say this so you know that. I hope that you won't reply back to this, further insulting me or asserting some form of dominance over an argument that no longer exists in an attempt to suck me back in, because that would just be silly~ You are very tenacious sir, and I can appreciate that. You're rudeness, I cannot though. Now, good day.

TheToasterNinja
1:29 AM
+yosharioIIIhttp://www.thefreedictionary.com/pretentious
Like just, wow. I literally apologize after every word I say and he calls me that? He's absolute scum, I'm sorry. He's trying to suck me back in, I can tell, but jeez, I really shouldn't.
Your patience suprises me more than his horrible, bias behaviour.

Leave him you tried to show him the light...if anything just make sure you exchange Wii U FC's with him so when Sm4sh release you can destroy him online with Ridley rip his heart out and bash it against the wall and scrape the juice out :)

200_s.gif
200_s.gif

It's just that....i feel so pathetic....I tried to play super metroid with an amulator, and because i did not found a way to fire the misiles and I didnt want to literally destroy my keyboard in pure rage...i stopped, and i was going to get lost later anyway.....And i think you are right, i should play more....
Thats nothing dude...i been playing games for years..i call myself a Ridley fan but havent even finished Super Metroid before ever!

Just recently started it for the first time and used a guide abit..not too much...im at the Wrecked ship..damn 2D Metroids are alota harder than the Prime series imo

Also i have never played any other 2D Metroid before

I just played, finished Ocarina for the first time last year

I was playing twillight princess last year too but got to a part where you have to whistle notes or something as the wolf i couldnt do it so i broke the remote and havent played it since.

I got the WW HD WiiU bundle i was playing it 2 months ago i reached dragon roost island and i had to do something similar to what i had to do in twilight princess blow something...in notes or something...the wind waker or something?

Also got Ocarina 3D sometime ago and started on Master Quest because i was feeling like a badass...(-_-)

Stuck on Zoras River and i dont wanna use a guide because i dont like to even though i have finished the game before only once...on normal mode on the GC....i know jabba the douche is next and water temple...so...ugh...i should play it but...ugh...

Gave up havent played it since...although tempted to go back because i know its a good game.

Trust me dude my skills in games and mostly now..my Patience is beyond ******** sometimez....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Good work there, and welcome.
Also, no te preocupes, you will adapt quickly.

My god! PLAY THEM RIGHT NAOH!!!
You are very lucky to have that game and was the most intelligent desicion you ever made, that's the best game compilation ever made!
:) thanks! and you really surprised me like IsmaR did....you can speak spanish!! :) Me alegro....

Top Bottom