• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I really don't think we're getting Ridley... as a stage hazard. At all. Just playable. Vorash stage boss. No Alfonzo moment. The footage and wording of the boss tease do not line up, and if we would have seen that clip anywhere besides in the segment immediately following Yellow Devil, it would not have been so easily disregarded as a boss. It's just a trick.. I can't see it being not a trick at this point.

The vagueness. The subtle hints else where. Sakurai has the war set up perfectly so supporters are convinced or nearly convinced (at least hopeful) of playable Ridley and those opposed are convinced that he is just a boss. Which they shot themselves in the foot saying Sakurai wouldn't/couldn't make Ridley playable.

Who is Sakurai going to lead on only to crush their hopes and dreams, us, or those who doubted Sakurai's abilities? I don't think he's going to drag it out this far only to say "they were right, it's beyond me."

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So I had this thought recently... What if Ridley was actually given two fireball specials? Nuetral B would fire a single powerful shot, and maybe down B could fire a spread of three like mortars intthe air, which would fall back down to the stage.

Also, unless Ridley gets three types, I still don't think he'd actually be a Dragon type, he'd just happen to get a bunch of Dragon moves. I'll take my Ridley with STAB Fire, please.

No clue but my initial concern regarding Ridley's size back in 2007 was that his default size would be too big that his model would clip through the floating platforms such as the lower ones at Battlefield. I don't mind this if the characters grew bigger with Super Mushrooms or Final Smashes... but not if that's the character's default size. And I'm concerned that he wouldn't look good if his default size was smaller.
A little clipping is fine, but yeah too much would be a problem. That could easily be dealt with without making Ridley too small if he was given the right posture. Unfortunately, people keep making him too upright in all their size comparisons.

@RaccoonBL: Careful now, this thread already has a patron Inkling. Come back when I've changed my avatar.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Also, unless Ridley gets three types, I still don't think he'd actually be a Dragon type, he'd just happen to get a bunch of Dragon moves. I'll take my Ridley with STAB Fire, please.
I think I'll take STAB Dragon Tail, please. :troll:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
So I had this thought recently... What if Ridley was actually given two fireball specials? Nuetral B would fire a single powerful shot, and maybe down B could fire a spread of three like mortars intthe air, which would fall back down to the stage.

A little clipping is fine, but yeah too much would be a problem. That could easily be dealt with without making Ridley too small if he was given the right posture. Unfortunately, people keep making him too upright in all their size comparisons.

@RaccoonBL: Careful now, this thread already has a patron Inkling. Come back when I've changed my avatar.
Well considering sonic only has 1 non spindash/spin special attack, 2 fireballs for Ridley wouldn't seem that unlikely, but I thought he had more ranged attacks they could use if they did go down that path.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
this thread will get to 999 pages and then the mods will lock it and open a new one

Last edited:

UnstableBeing

Smash Cadet
Hello everybody ! Before I knew of this thread I never considered Ridley as a playable Smash character even though he is my favorite Nintendo villain but now you really got my hopes up. Ridley better be playable with all this teasing !

I really don't think we're getting Ridley... as a stage hazard. At all. Just playable. Vorash stage boss.
I think that unless the lava get higher, Vorash won't fit in the stage as the lava is really far down. Goyagma could raise the lava like in the volcano to "appear" or one of those annoying Rhedogian could fly through the hole in the background and start interfering in the battle.

D

Deleted member

this thread will get to 999 pages and then the mods will lock it and open a new one
I won't allow that! Sakurai is watching this place and when we get to 1000, he will give the most obvious hint for Ridley

Last edited by a moderator:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Hello everybody ! Before I knew of this thread I never considered Ridley as a playable Smash character even though he is my favorite Nintendo villain but now you really got my hopes up. Ridley better be playable with all this teasing !

I think that unless the lava get higher, Vorash won't fit in the stage as the lava is really far down. Goyagma could raise the lava like in the volcano to "appear" or one of those annoying Rhedogian could fly through the hole in the background and start interfering in the battle.
There are those purple things on the bottom of the platform and they are slightly different in the FD version of the stage, did anyone every figure out what those are? Could the stage move up and down?

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I won't allow that! Sakurai is watching this place and when we get to 1000, he will give the most obvious hint for Ridley
Yeah I was gonna say, Sakurai has actually been watching this thread, and he didn't reveal Ridley at E3 'cause we didn't get to 1000 yet. So, once we do get 1000, Skurai will have a super surprise 10 minute Smash Bros. Direct where he reveals Ridley and personally thanks everyone from the thread. Obviously. :p

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Welcome, welcome! I really like your avatar, Sentry's pretty cool.

Oh, and don't drink the water. Apparently it's bad.

D

Deleted member

Covered in the blood of all the threads, users and posts I have slaughtered.

It makes me feel alive again.
And I just noticed Villager is the "background character"(os this the name?), btw, I feel like I know the character from your avatar, who is she?

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Hope I can flip that switch on the detractors if he's finally revealed as playable, and talking about that, I missed this gem

My 5 cents:
I don't think Ridley is likely, because I believe that Sakurai's tease was a confirmation of him being a boss. Just not shown off because he's a WIP case.

I do support the chance of him being in though.
Pyrosphere was shown nearly a near ago, and at least based on the picture it looks pretty much finished visually even back then, there's no way WIP can be a excuse any more.
[collapse=Proof]https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnWb9pUTQ
[/collapse]

Last edited:

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Well I just remember when this thread was only 300 pages long, and I thought it was large for it's time. Now it's almost 1000 so I'm glad that we have gotten this far.

#Ridley4life

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hi my name's Nday and I still believe in Ridley.

D

Deleted member

The Protector, the tank class from the Etrian Odyssey series. EO1 and 2 specifically.
I knew it was from EO, I only played the 3DS remake story mode, so I thought it was Raquna

Anyway, back on-topic, if Ridley is a secret char, do you guys think it will be a ROB situation from the detractors side? As ROB was "deconfirmed" before the Brawl release and people claimed the rosters to be fake because of that

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I knew it was from EO, I only played the 3DS remake story mode, so I thought it was Raquna

Anyway, back on-topic, if Ridley is a secret char, do you guys think it will be a ROB situation from the detractors side? As ROB was "deconfirmed" before the Brawl release and people claimed the rosters to be fake because of that
Yes indeed.

Hong

The Strongest
If he turns out to be a boss (which I think he will be), I at least I hope he isn't as lame as the Yellow Devil.

Would he even yield any benefit to being defeated? It's hard to imagine him exploding or something.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
If he turns out to be a boss (which I think he will be), I at least I hope he isn't as lame as the Yellow Devil.

Would he even yield any benefit to being defeated? It's hard to imagine him exploding or something.
Please, stuff in Metroid explodes all the time. Especially after final boss fights.
So yeah, the base could start self-destructing or something.
But that won't happen cause he's not a boss.

D

Deleted member

Pinatas doen't explode, they give you candy

Hong

The Strongest
Please, stuff in Metroid explodes all the time. Especially after final boss fights.
So yeah, the base could start self-destructing or something.
But that won't happen cause he's not a boss.
I know that, but it's kind of like a crumbling kind of multi-explosion thing, and they vanish.

I suppose he could drop a bunch of health spheres. @~@

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't really see the point of boss hazards if they keep coming back soon after you kill them. In a sense, it just makes them glorified stage hazards.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is shaping up to be even lamer than Yellow Devil unless he's playable, sadly. :Y

But I'm basically convinced he'll be playable at this stage. I have more faith in Sakurai than to believe things like "Even with Namco's help he can't finish a single stage hazard in eight months". Or, "He deliberately makes EXTREMELY poor game design choices". Or things of that nature.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I too am enjoying this discussion. I'm glad to put all my knowledge of gaming to use.

Several things are noncanon but makes sense in context of Smash. Ike did have the Ragnell in Path of Radiance but w/o the class change look. But why not have it? He uses it anyways. Him wielding it with the clothing he wears at the beginning of the game is a non-issue. People recognize Ike first as a Ranger in PoR. Why not present him like one? Look at Zero Suit Samus, is the Parlayzer Whip and Jet Boots canon? Nope, but they work! You could see that they could be based on the Grapple Beams or the Jump Boot upgrades in the Metroid games. What, would you just want a normal human punch-and-kick character whose special characteristics include high mobility and the occasional Paralyzer blast? Not me. Squirtle and Samus can drown, but that was to keep mechanics in place. Everyone can take damage from lava and acid for the same reason. Ridley tends to always come back from the dead in one way or another, even if it's a parasite imitating him or a clone. I haven't an idea what you're talking about when you're talking about gloves being bigger than Bowser.

Yes, it is a crossover game but things still have to make sense. I'm probably wrong about Ridley being small in the original Metroid game, but then again, why is he bigger in the remake, Zero Mission?

We can infer that maybe it was technical limitations. But I'm not sure. But there has to be a reason why he's bigger, no?
That picture looks like about the same size ratio of mario to bowser in mario 64. In fact it seems like the ratio of Ridley to Samus is often smaller than Bowser to Mario.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
It almost looks like they put stickers on the TV...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really can't imagine Sakurai working this hard to tease a popularly requested and important character as nothing but a poorly designed stage hazard. He didn't even tease Yellow Devil or Dark Emperor this much to be sure. :\ He never explained the former right away or the latter at all, but he showed them up front and never gave us any reason to think they could be playable.

EDIT: I'd prefer "Sticker on a TV" Ridley, and maybe even Ridley X over Bossley at this stage. r_r

Last edited:
Top Bottom