• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yes he can jump, but he jumps just like a playable character, specifically like Meta Knight.
I just can't see it that well from the clip. I just don't think it's a good argument for his play-ability. Too hard to tell, imo. If it gives you hope, I won't hold it against you, it just doesn't work for me.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know, I thought of a unique gimmick for Ridley.

If you hold in the jump button, maybe he could hover above the ground similar to Water Kirbys down move in Adventure Wii.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's a mid-air jump regardless as far as I can see, so it's definitely possible for a boss to do so, especially for one that's likely to fly around all the time like Ridley.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
It's a mid-air jump regardless as far as I can see, so it's definitely possible for a boss to do so, especially for one that's likely to fly around all the time like Ridley.
I would assume, though, if Ridley is a Boss in Pyrosphere, that it would work more like the Ridley(s) in Brawl. Being more fixed at positions (kinda like the Yellow Devil, though he has more reasons to do so). The movements on this shadow, not just that jump, all looks much more like a playable character than Boss behaviour. And while I can't tell THAT well, his 'jump' certanly looks like of what MetaKnight and Charizard does, in mid-air jumps.

But one of the biggest (lol) things that gives me hope about Ridley, is his complete absense in any form at E3. And even if Ridley is not playable when the game releases, at least it is now extremely likely there will be DLC, so I know that I never have to give up hope, haha.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I do not Think Ridley would jump around like that. I Believe he would stay fixe'd in positions, like in Brawl. A Ridley that jumps around, following you, sounds even more bothersome than the Yellow Devil. Of course Bosses can jump and such, but in this cenario, I am certain that Ridley is, in fact, playable, and not a boss at all.
I'll accept Ridley's fate whatever it will be, and I can of course not say anything is confirmed, but I am sure enough right now. All that, PLUS the oddities with Ridley's movements, Sakurai's teases, hints, that Trophy quiz, the complete absence of Ridley and Pyrosphere at E3 as a whole, there's certanly enough for me to Believe so.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Flying boss that can jump in mid-air sounds kinda...um...weird...stupid...redundant...i forgot that word...but why would Ridley be able to jump in mid-air if he can fly?
Do we know that he was in mid air? Do we know that he jumped?

There are too many things we can't tell for sure because of the shadow play. It's doing its job - being a tease. We can't pull exact knowledge from it.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm talking about indefinitely, just as long as he is above a platform for balancing reasons.

Good air game, weak ground game.
What would be the point of that? That wouldn't be much different than being on the ground.

Um...because he can only fly for a few seconds?
Isn't the argument about him being a boss? A boss Ridley would have no reason to touch the ground except for specific attacks.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Um...because he can only fly for a few seconds?
Unless he is a playable character, Ridley must be in the air for 93% of the fight or its not Ridley. In every game, he fights only in the air and rarely touches the ground with 2 exceptions (Omega and clone Ridley).
Do we know that he was in mid air? Do we know that he jumped?

There are too many things we can't tell for sure because of the shadow play. It's doing its job - being a tease. We can't pull exact knowledge from it.
Yeah...and that is very annoying because knowing that he IS in the game, but not knowing anything else about him other than his design is at least based off Roidley is just...duh...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Flying boss that can jump in mid-air sounds kinda...um...weird...stupid...redundant...i forgot that word...but why would Ridley be able to jump in mid-air if he can fly?
Not necessarily a jump, but rather just flying upwards. That's what guys like Meta Knight, Pit and Charizard do after all, they technically fly, it's just easier to say that they jump since everyone else does, and that's also what we say Ridley does in this context. What Ridley does is technically just flying upwards here though.

So yeah, it could be both for a playable character but also boss material, it really isn't anything we can jump to a conclusion with. Sure it looks more like a playable character's mid-air jump, I agree with that, but it's not impossible for a boss to have such an animation.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Not necessarily a jump, but rather just flying upwards. That's what guys like Meta Knight, Pit and Charizard do after all, they technically fly, it's just easier to say that they jump since everyone else does, and that's also what we say Ridley does in this context. What Ridley does is technically just flying upwards here though.

So yeah, it could be both for a playable character but also boss material, it really isn't anything we can jump to a conclusion with. Sure it looks more like a playable character's mid-air jump, I agree with that, but it's not impossible for a boss to have such an animation.
Didn`t thought about it in that way for some reasons...Does that means that he moves upwards when turning like in Brawl, but higher..? Or it was a mid-air jump? Or it was a...Urgh, now my brain hurts...please, Nintendo, tell us something about Ridley right now! Im tired of waiting!..By the way, when the game will be released? August or Jule? Or..?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
And remember, people, even IF the Shadow Ridley is confirmed to be a Boss (which I sorta doubt so far, but it's possible), it doesn't confirm Ridley isn't playable. ^^

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I don't understand. It doesn't look like he's jumping at all...

I still kind of want to have hope, actually.
It absolutely does, look closer. He flaps his wings downward and gains altitude. As he goes upward he holds his arms on either side of his head, like a playable character would.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
And remember, people, even IF the Shadow Ridley is confirmed to be a Boss (which I sorta doubt so far, but it's possible), it doesn't confirm Ridley isn't playable. ^^
I could totally see Sakurai revealing bossly, only to have Ridley be a secret newcomer. Feels like his kind of troll move. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Yeah...and that is very annoying because knowing that he IS in the game, but not knowing anything else about him other than his design is at least based off Roidley is just...duh...
yep. that's the point of a tease xD.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Has anyone tried using Pikachu's model sizeto compare with Ridley's shadow, as well as other characters? How does Pikachu stack up to, say, Bowser? Since Ridley's wing/tail clips into frame a bit his shadow should not be heavily distored by any distance (does smash even do that). I mean, we also have the stage so it's possible we could figure out the size of Ridley's model. If he's bowser size then that means he's a lot more likely.
We can compare him to Mother Brain. His body isn't all that big but wings look rather large.

I don't see his wings being a big deal cause they will be in the foreground most of the time.

The half flapping is pretty blatant. So even though Ridley's wings are big they won't take up alot of space at all in a 2D fighting game like Smash. Thats assuming Ridley still flaps like this in the final product.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah, his wings isn't a big problem. His tail could be, but that is easily fixe'd if you look at Bowser. I expect Ridley to be one of the characters that Always faces the same way, so his Tail would be more in the background when stationary.

His size and limbs are no problem here. ^^ Plus, he IS pretty small, judging by the shadow. And I'd say he'll be a reversed Little Mac. Great in the air, and bad on the ground, thus I expect him to be able to be in the air for much longer than most characters.

Ridley vs Little Mac on Final Destinatiou would be interesting.

D

Deleted member

So since we're making an employment list, I figured I should organize it:

Ridley's Gigantic Space Pirate Lounge:

Lounge Employees and Veterans (so far):
Lounge Owner; Strongest: @Oasis_S
Employee Head Organizer/Manager/Coordinator: @The Soulless One
HR Department: ??????????
Old Timers (TGBRW Veterans*): @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @Ridley_Prime @Oasis_S @ IsmaR IsmaR
Ridley Propaganda Artists; Comic Relief: @AndreaAC @SchAlternate @Angelglory @AbioFlesh
Redundant Cycle Announcer (The cycles are redundant): @ Snagrio Snagrio
Animal GIFs: @TitanTeaTime
Text-Wall Architect/Moveset Interrogator: Myself (@The Soulless One )
Size/Shadow Analyzers: @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt @Angelglory @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 @ OblivionWolf OblivionWolf
The Realism Squad: @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @Scoliosis Jones @Dark Phazon @Ridley_Prime
The Sarcasm Department: @ Phaazoid Phaazoid
Lounge Peacekeepers: @ IsmaR IsmaR @Swampasaur @Scoliosis Jones
Low-Quality Trolls: @The Soulless One
Female Avatar Roulette Captain: @majora_787
?????: @majora_787 @Pacack @Reila
Charidley: @Armlesspuppeteer09
Resident Punching Bag: Roidley
Unassigned: @MorbidAltruism @False Sense ; Everyone else.

Current Applicants (as far as I can tell):
Ridley Propaganda Artists: N/A
Bringer of Hope: @WayfaringElf
Lounge Bartender: @Tungsten
Ridley in Miscellaneous Media: @Headcrab Jackalope
Lounge Interior Design: @ Kamiko Kamiko
Some other department: Everyone else.

All individuals listed under Current Applicants have shown some potential for their positions but need to continue proving themselves to the HR Department (who should control this by the way?) to become Full Time Employees.

*TGBRW Stands for The Great Brawl Ridley War; all listed veterans are written as I've heard them from @ Phaazoid Phaazoid

Let me know if I missed anyone and if I need to readjust our current employee list.
What about me? What is my job anyway? What is life? So many questions...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, it's not a random platform or area from the metroid franchise. It doen't need a reason to be large, it was about that big in Other M.
Yeah, but it's so large that it needed to be scaled down for the FD version. And it's no longer a circle, but an octagon.

I can forgive Sakurai for sacrificing faithfulness to Other M in favor of good game design, so unless Sakurai decided to faithfully represent Other M of all Metroid titles, it is curious that the stage is so large.

All that I have gleaned from it is that it's a terrible stage for a traditional rising lava hazard.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
^ There does seem to be a Lava hazard on the Pyrosphear, as the lava is absent in the FD version. But I don't Think it will be a very bothersome hazard. Probably just pillars of lava on the sides. ^^

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, I've brought this up before, but it bears repeating:

Why is the Pyrosphere so large?
Either to fit Ridley in as a boss (and even then the platforms make that a little troublesome), or to avoid making it Final Destination but with platforms. I'm not sure if it's unintentional or not either, but projectile characters are great on a stage of its length, so it's actually a great home stage for Samus too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well i hope sakurai does a special case in august so the ridley war can finally end till smash 5 development.

(Ps i hope mewtwo is in the ridley trailer as well if ridley is confirmed.)(because of the samus pikachu team.)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hmm, Metroid stages are notorious for having hazards. But what if Pyrosphere didn't have anything? If so then that must be another tool Sakurai is utilizing for the trolling of Ridley, since a completely undisturbed Metroid stage is unheard of and as such most expect Ridley to be Pyrosphere's "disturbance."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Pyrosphere was hazardless, it would be like a dream coming true(even if Ridley is a hazard, he won't do anything anyway, with that size and speed)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Pyrosphere was hazardless, it would be like a dream coming true(even if Ridley is a hazard, he won't do anything anyway, with that size and speed)
Yeah, it'd ruin a otherwise great stage. I absolutely hate watching gameplay on Wily's Castle, it's such a shame that such a great stage was ruined by a hazard, would have been great for competitive play.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
We can compare him to Mother Brain. His body isn't all that big but wings look rather large.

I don't see his wings being a big deal cause they will be in the foreground most of the time.

The half flapping is pretty blatant. So even though Ridley's wings are big they won't take up alot of space at all in a 2D fighting game like Smash. Thats assuming Ridley still flaps like this in the final product.

Looking at his hovering animation, the arrangement of his wings makes sense for a playable character.
His wings seem nearly parallel to the stage's ground and aren't behind him,
but in line with his shoulders.
This way, his wings wouldn't take much (visible) room of the fighting area,
so that his Ridley wouldn't take too much space.
If his wings stood in position similar to the original Roidley, he'd look this way:

If that were the case, even with that smaller body, he may would take too much space off the battlefield. But how it seems for now, it would fit just right.

Last edited:

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this was mentioned, but does anyone else think it's a bit odd that Pit's ^B has been changed to a generic version of Fox/Lucario's recovery? The command flight was pretty cool and very unique, I wonder why they removed it from him...

... Unless it was to give it to Ridley!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't know if this was mentioned, but does anyone else think it's a bit odd that Pit's ^B has been changed to a generic version of Fox/Lucario's recovery? The command flight was pretty cool and very unique, I wonder why they removed it from him...

... Unless it was to give it to Ridley!
I think it's just more that the Power of Flight works more like it does in Uprising compared to how it worked in Brawl. In Uprising Pit doesn't generally flaps his wings in any form he just moved in a direction through Palutena's
or Viridi's
power during the flight part of the stages.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
If a playable Ridley was able to hover for as long as in the april direct... What would be the catch?

I mean, there is no way that mechanic would be left as that, it would have to have one or two disadvantages to keep it from getting broken. Even Meta Knight had his four specials leaving him vulnerable, and it wasnt enough. What could the developers have to do to ensure his hover is a powerful tool, but not broken?

Peach practically doesnt have a second jump to compensate, ROB has a fuel mechanic preventing it from recovering indefinitely, Pit could only execute his flight once. Ridley seems to have an even better air time than those.

Top Bottom