• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Moving onto another topic:

Since we know that lava appears in the background of the Final Destination of Pyrosphere, most have concluded that the lava is not going to be a hazard like some thought. With that in mind, what do you guys think the gimmick of Pyrosphere is going to be?

Just curious what this thread thinks.
Either it is the long awaited neutral Metroid stage, or it will still be lava.

Now, I know lava is also present in the FD version of Pyrosphere, but that doesn't it can't affect the stage anyway.

I mean, the stage itself can lower into the lava pool, but only up to where the purple tubes are, without sinking the entire blooming stage like in previous Metroid stages. Now, while the lava doesn't cover the entire stage, fireballs could still burst from the magma and go through the main platform.

Idk.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Surely detractors can't use the "Ridley's model isn't finished" excuse still. It's silly that they used it around when SSB Direct was shown, but to hold onto the excuse still is just ridiculous. I mean let's look at it this way, Pyrosphere was introduced to us via PotD in August 2013, and it seemed like it was finished/almost finished. Bear it in mind that Sakurai and his team would've likely to have started development on the stage a few months beforehand. So let's say work on Pyrosphere was started in June, are people (detractors) really suggesting that Sakurai and his team still haven't completed Ridley, something implied as a stage hazard and main attraction of Pyrosphere, even a year later...? Where's the logic in that? Plus with Final Destination versions of some stages in the works (Pyrosphere FD wasn't finished around SSB Direct, but was completed sometime before E3, understandable though), surely Pyrosphere would have been done and dusted ages ago? There must be some reason that Sakurai is holding back information regarding Ridley. There's several possible scenarios:

1. Ridley is a boss hazard and Sakurai is trying to hype it.
This is a possibility, but it seems like he would be hyping it the wrong way. The cryptic messages that he has left, and the shadow on the Pyrosphere is really, really obvious as to who it's meant to be. If Ridley's only purpose is as a boss hazard, Sakurai should have given Ridley the Yellow Devil treatment. Sakurai should have done the shadow and the PotD message detailing "Samus' trauma" after Pyrosphere's first reveal, but he didn't. Instead, Sakurai chose to reveal the stage in August, then months later with a message "an enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second…" via PotD, followed by the shadow tease in the SSB Direct in April. If this is what Ridley's status is in the game, Sakurai should have cemented it via a PotD running up to E3, or even better at E3 itself, an event where there's tonnes of hype.

However, Pyrosphere had very little presence at E3. Pyrosphere was shown only a few times in the Digital Event presentation, and in those times Ridley was no where to be seen. What's more puzzling, is that Pyrosphere was not present during the Super Smash Bros. Invitational tournament, something which was streamed live in front of millions of fans across the globe. It doesn't end there, Pyrosphere was also not available in the demo at the E3 floor and at the Best Buy events. Surely E3 was the best time to hype boss hazard Ridley? But it wasn't. Ridley was no where to be seen. Many are left wondering why Sakurai chose not to show Ridley at a big (no pun intended) event. There's still chance that there could be a PotD detailing about it, but that just seems a bit underwhelming. Between August 2013 and E3 2014, Sakurai neither showed Ridley nor did he mention his name. He just... teased.... and teased some more...

There's also the case that perhaps Sakurai might not want to reveal Ridley's status as a boss hazard until after release, or perhaps he won't reveal Ridley at all and just let players find out for themselves. This could be for various reasons, perhaps he wants to be respectful to us Ridley fans, even though we'd be disappointed, he'd wouldn't rub it in our faces or troll us about it via a PotD (like he unintentionally did with Waluigi). Or perhaps he just doesn't want to fan the flames further in aiding TooBigots trolling and mocking Ridley fans (Regardless of this, they'd still do it). Perhaps Sakurai is just oblivious to/doesn't care about Ridley's fan requests, but that shouldn't be the case as Little Mac is in the game, and he is a favourite in the West. There's also the unfortunate possibility that Sakurai is a sadistic mad man who likes to make fans of Ridley slowly suffer, only then to rip our hearts out (through dis-confirmation) and laugh at us. But judging by his behaviour in the SSB Direct, he seems to have a light-hearted personality, and doesn't like to disappoint fans. Is it all for show in front of the cameras, or is it what he's really like? We don't know, only family and workers do.

Not to mention that previously dis-confirmed characters have had dis-confirmations that were quick and straight to the point. These dis-confirmations included:
  • Character's name specified, via PotD or listed in the SSB Direct.
  • Character's actions detailed via PotD or shown via the SSB Direct.
  • Character's role clearly detailed via PotD or listed in the SSB Direct.
  • Teasers are often followed by detailed information or footage soon afterwards up to a few months later.
  • Unfinished content is still shown regardless, Sakurai has already stated that it's a work in progress. This can include unfinished stages (Pyrosphere FD), place holder images, etc.
So, did these happen/apply to Ridley between August 2013 and E3 2014? Nope. We're still left in the dark, even after E3.

2. Ridley is a playable character, but will be revealed in the next Nintendo Direct.
From what we've seen, no character (besides Palutena) have been teased as much as Ridley. If Sakurai is teasing a boss hazard only Ridley, he's tactically doing it badly. If Ridley's only a boss hazard, why not just reveal it months ago? People know about his existence in the game, and they know that the shadow belongs to him, so what's there to hide? It's possible that Sakurai could be hiding Ridley's actual purpose: a playable character. Now I'm not ruling out the hazard thing, but it just seems like a step backwards to tease so much all this time, to then reveal Ridley with a lower status (from SSE boss to stage hazard). Of course, Sakurai could have a backwards belief that Ridley fans would be happy with anything, or worse, he could be a detractor himself (though he said in an interview that it's impossible, then possible but he could be slow, so there's that). The "Ridley's model isn't finished" excuse for boss hazard-ly, to me, doesn't make sense. I think it's absolute rubbish. Given the time frame between August and SSB Direct, Ridley wouldn't still be incomplete, as a boss at least (check the first paragraph, I don't want to repeat what I said =P). An unfinished playable character though, that would make sense.

From observations, we've concluded that Ridley isn't the same size as Brawl Ridley. The Ridley (shadow) in the SSE Direct suggests that Ridley is possibly Bowser's size, or slightly bigger. This scale wouldn't really make sense for a boss hazard, especially for Ridley's case. It also doesn't make sense that all the dis-confirmed characters get a quick and straight to the point PotD post respectively or shown during in the SSB Direct, yet Ridley gets teased constantly to then get dis-confirmed a year later. Nevertheless, this is Sakurai after all, so anything can happen...

3. Ridley is a playable character, but will be a hidden character.
This seems possible. There has been a case previously where a character, that was thought to have been dis-confirmed, turned out playable which was a surprise to many. This was R.O.B., during the days of hyping up for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sakurai showed R.O.B. on the Super Smash Bros. Dojo!! as an enemy character for the Sub Space Emissary adventure mode. When people played the game (and after Sakurai posted R.O.B.'s secret character page on the Dojo!!), they unlocked R.O.B., and weren't expecting him. This could be a case with Ridley: expect him to be a stage boss, unlock as a playable character. This would mean that he would not be revealed before release, only afterwards.

4. Ridley is both a playable character and a boss hazard.
This would kinda be a win-win situation for all (though detractors will probably moan that they didn't get their way). A Toon Link situation if you will. However, Ridley would not be replaced by anything when someone has selected him (Pyrosphere would just be hazard-less). Those that don't want to play as Ridley on the Pyrosphere, can fight him on the stage as a boss hazard, like Yellow Devil.

5. Ridley is a playable character and a boss (through an event/mode).
Basically, Ridley can be a boss through a mode (like Bowser in SSBM's Adventure mode) or in one event (like with King Dedede in Kirby Air Ride, assuming Events mode is back). Ridley will be his Brawl size, and the battle can be similar to SSE's Ridley battle. Once players have completed the requirements (defeated Ridley in said mode), they get to fight him (at the smaller, playable size) 1 vs 1 on Pyrosphere FD, and once they have defeated him there, they unlock him. Simple. I'm not sure if Sakurai would do this, but since Sakurai's using some Air Ride elements in SSB4 (via Smash Run on 3DS version), it's still possible.

Just a thought really. Blah~

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The fact that FD Pyrosphere changed between the Direct and E3 just proves that Sakurai doesn't care if something is incomplete or not :cool: What argument should we bring down next?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The fact that FD Pyrosphere changed between the Direct and E3 just proves that Sakurai doesn't care if something is incomplete or not :cool: What argument should we bring down next?
Wouldn't that technically be a point against Ridley? You know, since the boss is supposedly "incomplete"...

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
And yet at the same time there is the bizarre "Ridley is too scary" argument. The idea is that Ridley is purposely hidden before release because having a menacing dragon on the front page might frighten off potential buyers or something like that.

I personally think such a claim is total bull**** due to the fact that many people who play gritty violent shooters are 12 year-olds. :glare:
I always laugh at the people who make an argument with that.

To add, I would also think that most people who play Smash know who Ridley is. And he is scary but not sh** ur pants scary.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
To add to a conversations a few pages ago: I don't want Ridley because I love Metroid in the first place.

I was maybe 7 years old.
At the time I had a SNES, whearas some of my friends already had a N64.
However, my mum and me went to a second hand shop,
which had some old SNES games in the storage rack. Then I saw it:

Super Metroid.
A badass lookin' robot shooting an even more badass looking red dragon with a big lazer out of his arm on the cover! I never heard from Metroid before, but I had to get the game because of this awesome looking dragon. Luckily I got it, but the game was way to hard for me at the time. So I would play it years later. Then, in 2002, when I saw Ridley in Melee's intro for the first time, I believed to finally be able to play as the cover's dragon from years ago. But you all know how it turned out. Now, 12 years since Melee's european release, it's about time Rildey shows up playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Flame baiting
You guys are in-circle jerking and knocking down arguments yet it still is not likely he will be a playable character.

If he his, color me surprised but I just see a big thread of denial at this point.

D

Deleted member

You guys are in-circle jerking and knocking down arguments yet it still is not likely he will be a playable character.

If he his, color me surprised but I just see a big thread of denial at this point.
The only thing I see is someone who can't read the arguments that have been posted after the Direct, if you're not going to hear the points we make, just leave then

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Anything else?

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice

You claim he is not likely to be a playable character, but you share no points as to why you think that. :facepalm:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Thanks for your insightful perspective of the situation, we gladly accept outsiders opinions and-- RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

D

Deleted member 245254

You claim he is not likely to be a playable character, but you share no points as to why you think that. :facepalm:
The burden of proof is not on people to prove he won't be a playable character when for all intents and purposes he is not one/not confirmed as one. That's your job.

Also...every single argument to why I think he isn't one, Ridley obsessors find that to be a reason he will be. It's just this absurd rationalization method you guys have, while commendable, is setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Why would anyone have to come up for an argument for why he isn't playable in the game when he is not currently in the game?

D

Deleted member

YAY! I get to hand out more of these :awesome::

As I've told others that like to ridicule I and my fellow Space Pirates, I suggest that you take this opportunity to leave and go to a different thread to talk about how unlikely you think Ridley is for the sake of avoiding drawing the ire of a fanbase. :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The burden of proof is not on people to prove he won't be a playable character when for all intents and purposes he is not one/not confirmed as one. That's your job.

Also...every single argument to why I think he isn't one, Ridley obsessors find that to be a reason he will be. It's just this absurd rationalization method you guys have, while commendable, is setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Why would anyone have to come up for an argument for why he isn't playable in the game when he is not currently in the game?
Dude, this is the like 500th time we get something like this, we haven't proved that ridley is indeed playable, we are analizing what we know and see all the possible scenarios, you could say that we over think everything but we also don't like to take things at face value, especially not from Sakurai

D

Deleted member 245254

Dude, this is the like 500th time we get something like this, we haven't proved that ridley is indeed playable, we are analizing what we know and see all the possible scenarios, you could say that we over think everything but we also don't like to take things at face value, especially not from Sakurai
Well the posts just bleed a haughty cocksure-ness, like asserting people who don't believe he's playable are stupid for their arguments, yet he likely will not be for any number of those exact arguments.

If the conversation seemed more neutral to that effect I'd be less motivated to be a dream stomper.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well the posts just bleed a haughty cocksure-ness, like asserting people who don't believe he's playable are stupid for their arguments, yet he likely will not be for any number of those exact arguments.

If the conversation seemed more neutral to that effect is be less motivated to be a dream stomper.
Well, there's mostly speculation, doubt and cockiness in this thread all around, but none of us (to my knowlegde) are unironically 100% sure that Ridley is in no matter what.

That said, most people here have trouble telling any outsider that differs with us why our statement hold water without resorting to snarky comments. :/

(I was only kidding with the hounds thing :p)

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Ah, gotta love those who try to "save" us from potential disappointment.

We've made up our minds. We've accepted the fact that all this may be in vain. We've agreed to stick together no matter how bleak the situation may appear.

We've given ourselves to Ridley's cause, and that's how it's going to be till the bitter end, whether you like it or not.

D

Deleted member

If the conversation seemed more neutral to that effect is be less motivated to be a dream stomper.
You seem to be forgetting that this is the Ridley SUPPORT thread.

I'll say it again, this is a
SUPPORT thread made with the intention of allowing a place for Ridley fans to talk about their hopes for Ridley's inclusion as playable in the game and to discuss related subjects like Movesets, character size, etc. So of course we're going to come off as having this "cocksure-ness" that we firmly believe that he is playable and at worst, a playable character and a boss at the same time. Now personally, I don't think that those who think he's not playable are stupid, everyone is entitled to their own opinions after all. In fact, if you stay awhile, you will find that the majority of us Space Pirates frown upon such behavior towards our detractors because we wish not to stoop to their level.

Does that mean we won't disagree with them? No, of course not, because every regular poster in this thread wants Ridley to be a playable character. However, I think I speak for most of us here when I say that we are simply tired of people coming in and stepping all over our ideas and hopes because they think Ridley is "Too big" or "won't bring anything interesting to Smash" or [Insert Toobigot/Detractor Argument Here]. So of course, whenever we get something like the Smash Direct shadow footage or something else that is not something to the effect of Sakurai coming out with a PotD saying "Ridley is the Stage Boss of Pyrosphere and will not be playable" we are going to work to analyze such footage to ensure that our beloved character still has a chance to be playable in the game.

Coming into a character support thread believing in such stereotypes that we are as bigoted as our detractors simply isn't a good idea in general, let alone doing that in the largest and (I would say) most devout Character Support Thread on the entire SmashBoards website.

D

Deleted member 245254

Ah, gotta love those who try to "save" us from potential disappointment.

We've made up our minds. We've accepted the fact that all this may be in vain. We've agreed to stick together no matter how bleak the situation may appear.

We've given ourselves to Ridley's cause, and that's how it's going to be till the bitter end, whether you like it or not.
All the sudden I feel like I'm arguing with a creationist...

To be honest my post, in very broad terms, is my argument.

I just do not see the evidence for Ridley as playable. Some of the evidence people argue as being against his playability for sure are not 100% sound. I will give you that, but it's not reasonable with the information we actually have that he will be in the first place.

Do you see what I mean?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

If the conversation seemed more neutral to that effect I'd be less motivated to be a dream stomper.
You just came here telling that we are in denial, i'm saying we can't prove that ridley is playable just like no one is able to prove that ridley is a boss hazard, thanks for "trying to save us for dissapointment" but we don't need it, you are not gonna change our mind just like won't be able to change yours

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Oh hey guys what's up, just been having a nap and I'm ready for more Ridl-

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Now, now gentlemen, ladies, and weird freaks of nature. Let's not tear our necks out!

Now, I am pretty neutral on Ridley's chances, but you're damn insane if you think Ridley is confirmed, or disconfirmed, 100%. I can respect the fact you do not think he's playable, but coming and making rude comments is frankly uncalled for. I wouldn't wish to argue anything, because that'd get us a grand total of nowhere. You'd likely keep your opinion, we'd likely keep ours, there's no actual point.

Now then, on the subject of evidence, I will assert that we have no concrete evidence of anything other than the fact Ridley is in the game, somehow. While the size shadow work is nice and all that, it doesn't tell us any definites(i.e Ridley could still be a boss even if he's the size of Kirby.)

It doesn't matter if he's "likely" or "unlikely." As long as Sakurai does not flat out state Ridley is a stage hazard or whatever, people will argue for his inclusion.(People will probably argue after that point as well.)

D

Deleted member 245254

Honestly I think you guys actually like detractors to come in, despite your "ugh not this again" act.

What fun would it be without a little push-back every now and then?

You have to have SOME way to demonstrate your reasoning to someone else besides another person who already believes the same thing anyway.

Consider me doing you guys a small, fun, favor. Debate can be fun, and I think it's important for you guys to actually get some tension on your beliefs. I welcome people to question mine I would hate at this point in my life thinking every first impression or though I ever had was correct, that'd be boring.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
All the sudden I feel like I'm arguing with a creationist...

To be honest my post, in very broad terms, is my argument.

I just do not see the evidence for Ridley as playable. Some of the evidence people argue as being against his playability for sure are not 100% sound. I will give you that, but it's not reasonable with the information we actually have that he will be in the first place.

Do you see what I mean?
There is about one or two people in this whole thread tops that think the current evidence (some of which is quite good mind you) is enough to support his playability. Most are still discussing what it actually means and how significant it is. There is no need to save anyone. And I doubt there is a single analysis or hint that can make you change your mind, because they dont convince you, and thats fine. If you want to truly spare everyone from overanalysis and stuff, the best way to do it is to counter the arguments with more evidence, otherwise, this is nothing more than a stale exchange.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Now, now gentlemen, ladies, and weird freaks of nature. Let's not tear our necks out!

Now, I am pretty neutral on Ridley's chances, but you're damn insane if you think Ridley is confirmed, or disconfirmed, 100%. I can respect the fact you do not think he's playable, but coming and making rude comments is frankly uncalled for. I wouldn't wish to argue anything, because that'd get us a grand total of nowhere. You'd likely keep your opinion, we'd likely keep ours, there's no actual point.

Now then, on the subject of evidence, I will assert that we have no concrete evidence of anything other than the fact Ridley is in the game, somehow. While the size shadow work is nice and all that, it doesn't tell us any definites(i.e Ridley could still be a boss even if he's the size of Kirby.)

It doesn't matter if he's "likely" or "unlikely." As long as Sakurai does not flat out state Ridley is a stage hazard or whatever, people will argue for his inclusion.(People will probably argue after that point as well.)
THIS.

I already said that I think he's playable but being very doubtful compared to before E3. You just cannot prove at 100% I tried it's impossible because of all those double meaning evidences. In fact, the base is 50/50 and it really sounds like Sakurai wanted to keep it that way. What is really weird is that he still want that after E3 which basically puts us in the dark. No matter on which side you are there's no way that you can be sure because it was organised that both sides are equals and the only thing that sets them apart is speculation which is very subjective.

The question that would answer everything that we cannot know until the 50/50 is broken is why doing this in the first place? This is all we have to argue but we just can't know until Sakurai says it clearly which didn't happen at E3 so when do you think it will happen? POTD? Direct? After release? Basically, "at any seconds"? That quote may have to do with this because it's that mysterious...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, bad news.
image.jpg

Lava. On Final Destination.

Not feeling Ridley right now, in the midst of Gematsu and now this.
But I would absolutely love to be surprised.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hey guys, bad news.
View attachment 16315

Yeah... little late on reporting that one.
Also remember that the Gematsu leak doesn't take Rosalina into account, so unless there's the least amount of characters introduced between games I seriously doubt that's all we're getting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys, bad news.
View attachment 16315

OR GOOD NEWS

Remember we said thats not the final destination version because of the lava flowing.

Sooooo the shadow footage may have really ben on the final destination version after all.

And the final destination version is smaller than the non final version, and the non final version is smaller than the real one.

So ridley may be even smaller than i calculated with my shadow.

EDIT: nvm i just checked its still correct on the normal one but does not change anything anyway.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sorry, I haven't been on this thread in a week or two...

I hope that Ridley is another Rosalina, but I think K. Rool has a better shot at it.

But who knows, we could get even more than that!

@ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123
I don't think it's good news. :p

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Honestly I think you guys actually like detractors to come in, despite your "ugh not this again" act.

You have to have SOME way to demonstrate your reasoning to someone else besides another person who already believes the same thing anyway.

Consider me doing you guys a small, fun, favor. Debate can be fun, and I think it's important for you guys to actually get some tension on your beliefs. I welcome people to question mine I would hate at this point in my life thinking every first impression or though I ever had was correct, that'd be boring.
I'd love to argue with you, but I don't hold arguments very well. Someone in the thread can take you up for that. As long as you're not a total prick, you're mostly welcome to debate.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
OR GOOD NEWS

Remember we said thats not the final destination version because of the lava flowing.

Sooooo the shadow footage may have really ben on the final destination version after all.

And the final destination version is smaller than the non final version, and the non final version is smaller than the real one.

So ridley may be even smaller than i calculated with my shadows.
I recall an analysis of the floor textures compared to the pillars implying it was actually regular Pyrosphere.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

I will give you that. If it weren't for doubters popping in here asking questions, this thread wouldn't be half the size it is now.

Top Bottom